Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Eassily the most sensible bit of buisness that anyone in this leauge could have done this summer - from the very lmited I've seen, he's a fantastic shot stopper. 

We were never going to be interested though. He's a proper keeper, but not a footballer. he doesn't suit the way in which we want to play - which, you'd have to argue is fair enough - at least we have some form of strategy. 

14th (out of 22) in the save % list for the championship.

Which, as we all know of course, is absolutely the sole stat that determines how good a GK is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I guess its hard for Saints to commit to transfers at the moment as still a chance we will be a PL team. I very much doubt he is top flight material otherwise he wouldn't be going to Stoke after conceding shiiite loads of goals this season.

yet we committed to giving Lumley an extra year a few weeks back. 

One day we will make a good decision in relation to the goalkeeper position.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2024 at 13:31, ErwinK1961 said:

14th (out of 22) in the save % list for the championship.

Which, as we all know of course, is absolutely the sole stat that determines how good a GK is.

"Post shot expected goals minus goals against" is where its at these days...
image.thumb.png.b8e8360df2e6593c2003bf2c753032f0.png

On 17/05/2024 at 13:54, Chez said:

yet we committed to giving Lumley an extra year a few weeks back. 

One day we will make a good decision in relation to the goalkeeper position.

I guess the thinking there is if we go up he's cheap enough that it won't matter - and can probably recoup his wages loaning him out - and we risk losing him to someone on a free if we don't sign him up. 

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

If we go up would you take Broja ? 

Sadly not now, he was good for us for 6 months. Got a bit too big billy bollocks because clubs kept sniffing at the crazy 30-40m price bracket.

The injury he had was terrible though, but the form before and after that has been horrendous - he looks like a pub player now whenever I've seen him. Fulham fan's didn't see much of him and even they don't want to touch him based on the fleeting moments they saw. Best bet for him is to go abroad and make a name for himself elsewhere.

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

If we go up would you take Broja ? 

Absolutely yes. Someone will get a bargain. As we saw there is a player there, pace, power and finishing ability.

Just needs some love and continuity.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Sadly not now, he was good for us for 6 months. Got a bit too big billy bollocks because clubs kept sniffing at the crazy 30-40m price bracket.

The injury he had was terrible though, but the form before and after that has been horrendous - he looks like a pub player now whenever I've seen him. Fulham fan's didn't see much of him and even they don't want to touch him based on the fleeting moments they saw. Best bet for him is to go abroad and make a name for himself elsewhere.

he's 22. Plenty of time to fulfil the talent he showed at our place. 

It's not easy finding strikers that are effective in the Prem. I've not seen too many in the Championship that look like they could cause issues for CBs in the Prem. Sign someone from abroad and it can take a season or so for them to find their feet too. When we go up, striker will be a key signing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Absolutely yes. Someone will get a bargain. As we saw there is a player there, pace, power and finishing ability.

Just needs some love and continuity.

There was a player there, but injuries , attitude perhaps …… ? Not sure I’d want to see us shelling out £20m plus on him now 

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

New contract for KwP....surely?

I'll be in the minority here but I'd also sign Adams up if we can. I'd still try to sign a new goalscorer, but I'd sell/loan Mara and we've seen Adam Armstrong look a lot better on the right wing this season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'll be in the minority here but I'd also sign Adams up if we can. I'd still try to sign a new goalscorer, but I'd sell/loan Mara and we've seen Adam Armstrong look a lot better on the right wing this season. 

You watch, Alcaraz will not be so demanding to sit on the bench at Juventus

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Adams, Stewart and someone pacier with AA wide (and a 4th striker option) will ding dang do for me next season. But AA has really stepped up to the CF role in the last few weeks.

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

oh, sign Flynn Downes at all costs!!!

Downes, THB in for definite. Brooks and Rothwell i'd give it a miss. Fraser I'm unsure...we have a lot of players in those positions already and I'm not sure he's enough of an upgrade to justify a transfer fee and already high wages.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Downes, THB in for definite. Brooks and Rothwell i'd give it a miss. Fraser I'm unsure...we have a lot of players in those positions already and I'm not sure he's enough of an upgrade to justify a transfer fee and already high wages.

I'd have Brooks back as a squad player. I think he has something to offer even if he's not been at the top of his game. 

• Like 3

I believe We are  a completely different when Flynn Downes starts.

Diffucult  situation at WHU with new manager coming in, but d

for me 2nd key signing after THB.

Then need to tie down KWP with new deal

• Like 5

THB, Downes or an equivalent, new #1 in goal, new striker to lead the line, maybe a new creative midfielder to replace Stu. Think that's the minimum to have a chance of staying up. Hope Solak has 100m+ burning a hole in his pocket.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Give McCathy a contract and send Bazunu out for loan please

pretty sure other teams wont sign a player who wont be playing for at least 8 months.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

THB, Downes or an equivalent, new #1 in goal, new striker to lead the line, maybe a new creative midfielder to replace Stu. Think that's the minimum to have a chance of staying up. Hope Solak has 100m+ burning a hole in his pocket.

Plus a left back and a tackling midfielder.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

No equivalent, go get him 

22 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You know it will happen

ABK, Perraud & Alcaraz will be itching to be friends again

Well, they should all be well rested. this season:

• Alcaraz 380 min
  • Perraud 360 min
  • ABK 162 min

Whats the point of loaning these guys out if they aren't playing?

5 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Well, they should all be well rested. this season:

• Alcaraz 380 min
  • Perraud 360 min
  • ABK 162 min

Whats the point of loaning these guys out if they aren't playing?

They were likely loaned for financial reasons 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Think the play offs  showed the importance of an experienced keeper. I hope we bring one in, even if just on a 1yr deal.

Get rid of those who now won’t be good enough / didn’t want to be here and a rebuild can begin. Let’s not fool ourselves , the gap is huge and the squad will be a lot of strengthening 

Edited by EBS1980