Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Why don’t twitter links embed anymore?

When I change the "x" on the link to "twitter" it works for me. I have an android though, not sure if there is still issues on an iPhone

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Would be absolute madness to not upgrade the goalkeeper position. But knowing Saints we'll go with McCarthy. 

To me it starts with the GK. If he is letting in weak ones the confidence drops in the defenders in front of him, then the strikers are under even more pressure to score knowing that clean sheets aren't going to happen. Come on Saints, do we have to go through this AGAIN?

Question is - would we have renewed McCarthy's contract without Bazunu's injury? Possibly not and let's just say we still got promoted with Baz in goal, we may very well be going into the Premier League season with him as No 1 again and Lumley as back up - and that would worry the hell out of me as Baz doesn't fill me with confidence and nor would Lumley as a 2. McCarthy isn't perfect and I'd prefer someone "better" but I think he's more solid than Baz.

But that's IF McCarthy is in our planning as a No 1, which, while some people think he is, I'm still dubious of. You need 3 Keepers in the Prem and, if Baz is out for 6-8 months or so (could be out the whole season), I still think we'll bring in another (possibly loan). Just a hunch.

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Question is - would we have renewed McCarthy's contract without Bazunu's injury? Possibly not and let's just say we still got promoted with Baz in goal, we may very well be going into the Premier League season with him as No 1 again and Lumley as back up - and that would worry the hell out of me as Baz doesn't fill me with confidence and nor would Lumley as a 2. McCarthy isn't perfect and I'd prefer someone "better" but I think he's more solid than Baz.

But that's IF McCarthy is in our planning as a No 1, which, while some people think he is, I'm still dubious of. You need 3 Keepers in the Prem and, if Baz is out for 6-8 months or so (could be out the whole season), I still think we'll bring in another (possibly loan). Just a hunch.

Some people on twitter reporting that lis is returning to us. If so it will probably be those two competing. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Some people on twitter reporting that lis is returning to us. If so it will probably be those two competing. 

Lis is quoted as saying he would ideally like to return to Goztepe. Obviously it's not his decision to make given he is contracted to us but I wouldn't be surprised to see him going back there again given they got promoted to their premier league last season

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Isn’t Lumley still with us making up the three (although obviously Baz is out long term)? As others have said, can’t see another GK coming in as no.1 when McCarthy is in place.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Isn’t Lumley still with us making up the three (although obviously Baz is out long term)? As others have said, can’t see another GK coming in as no.1 when McCarthy is in place.

Surely we need 3 fully fit goalkeepers to cover potential injuries?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Would be absolute madness to not upgrade the goalkeeper position. But knowing Saints we'll go with McCarthy. 

To me it starts with the GK. If he is letting in weak ones the confidence drops in the defenders in front of him, then the strikers are under even more pressure to score knowing that clean sheets aren't going to happen. Come on Saints, do we have to go through this AGAIN?

100% this. Our massive blind spot continues. So many soft goals. The Prem strikers will find it very easy. Need a Niemi. Solves so much, as you say.

Ipswich have bid for both Greaves @ Philogene at Hull. £20m double bid, but apparently Hull are looking for £40m combined. 

Somewhere in the middle to be met I guess.

37 minutes ago, DT said:

100% this. Our massive blind spot continues. So many soft goals. The Prem strikers will find it very easy. Need a Niemi. Solves so much, as you say.

Be careful what you wish for, we were relegated in the Niemi year, then he went to Portsmouth

37 minutes ago, DT said:

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ipswich have bid for both Greaves @ Philogene at Hull. £20m double bid, but apparently Hull are looking for £40m combined. 

Somewhere in the middle to be met I guess.

Ipswich seem to be moving well in the window. They bloody well need to having got back-to-back promotions.

from a Posh fan on another board

Ronnie Edwards is having his medical at Southampton.

At £3mil + add ons + sell-on clause this is the biggest bargain of the summer. 

He’ll be sold to a PL team in Europe in 1 or 2 years for £40m+ if Southampton stay in league, bit less if they don’t 

ALSO stolen from another board

SPEND

Arsenal - 0 - £0 - 
Aston Villa - 5 - £67.7m - Dobbin (£9m), Maatsen (£35m), Barrenchea (£6.8m), Iling-Junior (£11.9m), Barkley (£5m)

Bournemouth - 3 - £33.85m - Sinisterra (£20m), Unal (£13m), Paulsen (£850k)

Brentford - 1 - £30m - Thiago (£30m)

Brighton - 1 - £30m - Minteh (£30m)

Chelsea - 4 - £54m - Adarabioyo (free), Kellyman (£19m), Guiu (£5m), Dewsbury-Hall (£30m)
Crystal Palace - 2 - £10.2m - Riad (£10.2m), Kamada (free)

Everton - 2 - £9m - Iroegbunam (£9m), Harrison (loan)
Fulham - 0 - £0 

Ipswich - 2 - £18m - Hutchinson (£18m), Johnson (free)

Leicester - 0 - £0 

Liverpool - 0 - £0 - 

Man City - 0 - £0 - 
Man Utd - 0 - £0 
Newcastle - 4 - £40.7m - Hall (£28m), Kelly (free), Vlachodimos (£12.7m), Ruddy (free)

Nottingham Forest - 3 - £40.85m - Stamenic (£4.6m), Moreira (£1.25m), Anderson (£35m)

Southampton - 3 - £20m - Lallana (free), Harwood-Bellis (£20m), Taylor (free)

Tottenham - 3 - £38.6m - Werner (loan), Bergvall (£8.6m), Gray (£30m)

West Ham - 2 - £25.5m - Foderingham (free), Guilherme (£25.5m)

Wolves - 3 - £19.5m - Doyle (£4.3m), Gomes (£12.7m), Larsen (£2.5m loan)

Total Signings: 38

Total Spend: £437,900,000

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Be careful what you wish for, we were relegated in the Niemi year, then he went to Portsmouth

Although it was Niemi's injuries that cost us, especially in the crucial month of November 2004

16 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

from a Posh fan on another board

ALSO stolen from another board

SPEND

That’s interesting. You could argue that we’re holding our own with the THB £20m fee, however I do hope that’s not our only big spend this window. There can’t be too many more £m’s in the bank and we desperately need an upgrade on Adams.

31 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Ipswich seem to be moving well in the window. They bloody well need to having got back-to-back promotions.

They've got the benefit by not being as constrained by FFP, in the sense of us with our stupid £130m window a couple of years back hanging over us - and Leicester's with their shitty financial situation at the moment. So they can move a bit more freely as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They've got the benefit by not being as constrained by FFP, in the sense of us with our stupid £130m window a couple of years back hanging over us - and Leicester's with their shitty financial situation at the moment. So they can move a bit more freely as far as I can tell.

I hope they make a good fist of it.

This thread has (nearly) all been about players we will sign, but on the outgoings will also add up to a bit.

Onuacho's situation will rectify itself sooner or later.    We may have to wait a bit for Sulemana's future to be determined. Alvarez going to another PL club ? 

With the influx of these new CB's perhaps also the time for Bednarek to move on ..? and Walker-Peters will likely go to WHam..(or somewhere else in London). 

Bella-Kotchap has one foot out of the door, likewise  Caleta-Car .  I quite liked Bree at FB, but he may not manage the higher level, also same goes with Mara

Don't know if the club has abandoned the Ross Stewart project, but unless he can show up 110% fit pre-season, he may get a loan-out somewhere.  

Also expect 3 or 4 of the best U21 lads to go out on loan to lower league clubs for more experience in the " man's game ".

NOTE: I've been polishing up my crystal ball... and NOT saying I would like all these to happen (and would be a bit sad if they did), but now that we are

back in the Prem. we'll need some more quality to help survive, AND there's no room for  " dead wood " ....even on the bench.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

This thread has (nearly) all been about players we will sign, but on the outgoings will also add up to a bit.

Onuacho's situation will rectify itself sooner or later.    We may have to wait a bit for Sulemana's future to be determined. Alvarez going to another PL club ? 

With the influx of these new CB's perhaps also the time for Bednarek to move on ..? and Walker-Peters will likely go to WHam..(or somewhere else in London). 

Bella-Kotchap has one foot out of the door, likewise  Caleta-Car .  I quite liked Bree at FB, but he may not manage the higher level, also same goes with Mara

Don't know if the club has abandoned the Ross Stewart project, but unless he can show up 110% fit pre-season, he may get a loan-out somewhere.  

Also expect 3 or 4 of the best U21 lads to go out on loan to lower league clubs for more experience in the " man's game ".

NOTE: I've been polishing up my crystal ball... and NOT saying I would like all these to happen (and would be a bit sad if they did), but now that we are

back in the Prem. we'll need some more quality to help survive, AND there's no room for  " dead wood " ....even on the bench.  

Bree is fine as a back up RB IMO, getting the 1st choice RB right post-KWP is key. The fact we’ve been linked to RBs shows we’re preparing to sell KWP this summer, though I’m not sure Aarons is the answer. Aarons and Bree as a pair of RBs doesn’t fill me with as much confidence as Bree being a back up to KWP.

Ross Stewart will be very much part of our attack IMO. He would have been first choice last season had he not got injured and we’ve already lost (tbc) Adams from that striker list. I just hope he makes the step up. We definitely need another striker though, maybe even 2 (or a versatile winger than can also play as a striker) as we cannot rely on Mara in any capacity from what we’ve seen. 

Sulemana and Alcaraz… that’s anyone’s guess. I’d like to see Alcaraz stay but I’m not sure where he fits into our system. Sulemana I’m non-plussed about apart from giving us an extra attacking bench option.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Echo reporting that we're in for McTominay! Now that would be remarkable. Even if we went in for him and he turned us down, it'd show ambition.

Would be a great signing. I'd imagine his wages are beyond what we can offer though, even squad players for united are on £100k a week now. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Echo reporting that we're in for McTominay! Now that would be remarkable. Even if we went in for him and he turned us down, it'd show ambition.

They are reporting that someone else "ManchesterWorld" are reporting that Saints are one of four PL clubs interested in him - bit of a difference!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

That’s a big yes please, it’s also a very West Ham-style signing.

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is this one of those hurrying up tactics aimed towards West Ham letting Downes go?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Is this one of those hurrying up tactics aimed towards West Ham letting Downes go?

They are pretty different style of player, so would be surprising if so

39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Not the Echo reporting it, just some nonsense Man Utd social media twitter/website/nonsense page.

Defo not going to be going after players like him, wages alone make him completely unattainable for us at this time. He's a signing for a few years down the line if we're still in the PL.

• Like 1

Our business has been good so far, THB, Taylor, Edwards, even Lallana will add squad experience.

I still half expect us to go all Saintsy and announce we’re in talks to resign Mason Holgate or something.

• Haha 2

Nice to be getting the defensive side sorted early with the exception of a KWP replacement and Downes but now time to start on the  sexy part of the side.

Having lost Adams, Stu, Fraser, Brooks  we need some attacking flair.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

If you thought the flurry of transfers in June  was a bit odd, so do the Premier League:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/04/premier-league-set-to-scrutinise-unofficial-deadline-day-transfers

It seems to me that the PL are becoming overly controlling on how clubs do business and this latest issue of theirs seems only to have happened because clubs have out smarted them to get around the PLs own rigid and what seems to me to be restrictive PSR rules. This will not end well I predict. 🤣

13 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

😂😂 Scott McTominay starts every game for Man Utd, get a grip you lot.

Didn't Cleverley start most games for United when they sold him?

Just because he does start, doesn't mean they rate him. It just means they don't have anything better.

Obviously he isn't coming to but I'd be surprised if he was still there when the window closes. I can see him at Newcastle.

40 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

If you thought the flurry of transfers in June  was a bit odd, so do the Premier League:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/04/premier-league-set-to-scrutinise-unofficial-deadline-day-transfers

Interesting. There were definitely some over inflated deals there. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a fair few points deductions for teams because of PSR next season. It can only be good news for Saints in a season where we will be fighting for survival. I didn't realise Brighton weren't in danger of breaching PSR which makes the £32 million they spent on the almost completely untested Minteh even more surprising. That's a hell of a gamble for a 19 year old with just a handful of starts in Holland and for The Gambia.

I see some media outlets are reporting Wolves have pulled out of the "race" to sign Che now they have signed some Norwegian striker. Looks like Everton are the only other side mildly interested in him.

I really hope we don't still have an offer on the table for him.

I don't want a player here who has only renewed his contract because he couldn't get an offer anywhere else.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Just goes to show that RM isn’t that rigid in the way he operates.

That's a good analysis.  Would broadly agree on transfers too:

• This leaves Southampton needing a minimum of seven or eight signings:
  • Goalkeeper- capable of playing out the back and comfortable on the ball
  • Left-back or left centre-back that is comfortable operating in either scenario
  • Central centre-back Bednarek or Harwood-Bellis could operate this role using Bella-Kotchap on the right. However, the German is expected to leave, so a centre-back should be on Southampton’s shopping list.
  • Potentially an RB dependent if Walker-Peters leaves, which is looking ever likely
  • CM- Number 8, excellent ball carrier and chance creator
  • LW- A Player that excels in 1v1 situations and can go to the byline or come inside and defend when needed
  • ST- True number 9, but capable of dropping deep with good link-up play.
Edited by Miltonaggro

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Interesting. There were definitely some over inflated deals there. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a fair few points deductions for teams because of PSR next season. It can only be good news for Saints in a season where we will be fighting for survival. I didn't realise Brighton weren't in danger of breaching PSR which makes the £32 million they spent on the almost completely untested Minteh even more surprising. That's a hell of a gamble for a 19 year old with just a handful of starts in Holland and for The Gambia.

There must be more to it. Newcastle probably asked them to sign him for a far overinflated fee for their own PSR reasons, and they'll give Brighton a 'favour' in the future. All very dodgy. They also sold Elliot Anderson for near £40 million(!) and bought Lewis Hall for over £30 million, both decent players but not worth that amount!!

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

That's a good analysis.  Would broadly agree on transfers too:

• This leaves Southampton needing a minimum of seven or eight signings:
  • Goalkeeper- capable of saving shots, communcation with his defence and commanding is area, playing out from the back is a bonus
  • Left-back or left centre-back that is comfortable operating in either scenario
  • Central centre-back Bednarek or Harwood-Bellis could operate this role using Bella-Kotchap on the right. However, the German is expected to leave, so a centre-back should be on Southampton’s shopping list.
  • Potentially an RB dependent if Walker-Peters leaves, which is looking ever likely
  • CM- Number 8, excellent ball carrier and chance creator
  • LW- A Player that excels in 1v1 situations and can go to the byline or come inside and defend when needed
  • ST- True number 9, but capable of dropping deep with good link-up play.

one slight change.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I see some media outlets are reporting Wolves have pulled out of the "race" to sign Che now they have signed some Norwegian striker. Looks like Everton are the only other side mildly interested in him.

I don't want a player here who has only renewed his contract because he couldn't get an offer anywhere else.

I have this terrible feeling he's gonna come cap in hand to us and we will offer him a shiny new three year contract !

Please please somebody sign him

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I think people make too much of whether a player wants to be at a club. I don't want him to sign a new contract because he isn't very good. But if we signed a player who scored 25 goals this season and kept us up and then admitted he's only here because he had no other offers, would anyone actually care? His goals don't mean less. 

Lots of people don't want to be at their jobs but do well anyway.

• Like 3