Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

One of the saddest thing about modern football is fans talking about what profit we can make from a player before we even signed them. 

I prefer to talk about it like one of them will have increased their value to 20 million. We would either sell them for loads of profit or hopefully keep them for a few years and reap the rewards of a quality player. Either way the transfers make complete sense. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

No RM has decided he needs his mates, if he knows he needs a spine why give AM a new contract as they aren't getting rid of Baz so I doubt keeper incoming and not really any space for a cb

Would you like to swap usernames with me?🥱

• Haha 5

Mert Gunok is into the last year of his contract at Besiktas.  His value on Transfermarket is only £1.2m (35 years old and short remaining contract).  Tall Paul wants to stay in Turkey and Lis is already there, too.  I spy a swap deal; you know it makes sense.  Experienced goalie, excellent at both stopping shots and distribution - a perfect fit for our needs, if only for a few years on account of his age.  But by then Bazunu MIGHT be ready to be our first choice.

No chance.  But worth a try.

Haven't Palace been recently playing a blinder by buying a load of young English players who are now all on the fringes of the England team? Some posters on here would have slated us for signing Wharton if we had been in Palaces position in January because he was unproven in the prem and was a championship signing. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Haven't Palace been recently playing a blinder by buying a load of young English players who are now all on the fringes of the England team? Some posters on here would have slated us for signing Wharton if we had been in Palaces position in January because he was unproven in the prem and was a championship signing. 

Of course if the Championship player becomes a success that is great

We have bought in loads of young players in the last few years but who has proved to be a success in Saints colours and enanced the team regularly

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I have been advocating signing the best from the championship for many years. What our promotion in 2012 showed me was that top class talent in the Championship can become to class talent in the Prem. Putting finances to one side, this is the perfect summer to sign players from the championship. We should know the players we like inside and out. We will be signing players that want to be here, fit right in and can make an immediate impact as they are better than we already have. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

rubbish. Football is a business and player are the businesses assets.

The whole point is sustainability now AND in the future.

We're by far the most sustainable football club the world has ever seen , and its all southampton, all southampton player trading limited, we love to make a profit and parade our balance sheet 

The one position we must prioritise in terms of spending more is striker - someone an order or two above Adams. No goals means no win, even with the best defence. It did for us two seasons ago after 3-4 seasons of neglect and must not be a failing again. It’s early days yet in terms of signings, but I’d like to see some strong rumours surface!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Sounds like we may be gazumped by the hammers for O'riley by the hammers. Disappointing if it happens but at least it's early in the window so we can find alternatives. 

I think Saints are really interested in O'Riley as a top target as we've been chasing him for a few windows but it seems we're looking at having to pay around £30 million and some huge wages and I reckon the meatball will be too spicy for us, particularly with other Prem clubs circling. Getting Downes should be a priority though. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I think Saints are really interested in O'Riley as a top target as we've been chasing him for a few windows but it seems we're looking at having to pay around £30 million and some huge wages and I reckon the meatball will be too spicy for us, particularly with other Prem clubs circling. Getting Downes should be a priority though. 

I think if that's the price and we aren't up for paying it that we should move on and look for something in our price range. I don't think we will be getting this one on the cheap 

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The one position we must prioritise in terms of spending more is striker - someone an order or two above Adams. No goals means no win, even with the best defence. It did for us two seasons ago after 3-4 seasons of neglect and must not be a failing again. It’s early days yet in terms of signings, but I’d like to see some strong rumours surface!

Yep, and the issue is going to be our inability to spend proper money getting a proper striker in, especially if we spend any cash we have on midfielders and THB. I fear that we'll be in the loan or freebie market in the area where we should be spending the bulk of our budget. There could be a role yet for Alcaraz or tall Paul. 

• Like 1

If we sandwich a defence of THB - Bendarek - Stephens between the right personnel then it is serviceable in the Premier League. I think the team has three more important concerns, where the majority of the budget needs to go, so I'm not wholly against some cheap development centre-backs. 

Key areas to improve this summer are goalkeeper, CDM (Downes, or Downes equivalent) and a striker. If we were relying on Adams, A. Armstrong, Mara and Stewart who picks up a knock every time he steps on the pitch for goals then I don't think that's workable in this league and we'd be relegated. I believe the same would/will happen if we're relying on McCarthy, Lumley and eventually Bazunu to keep the goals out as they simply aren't good enough. Downes is also key as we saw how open our team was without him in the second tier. The three centre-backs however have at least played a part in keeping us and Stephens helped keep Bournemouth in the league last time he was up here. They just need a quality stopper and a defensive midfielder helping them so that their limitations aren't also picked up on by having a weak defence around them. 

On O'Reilly, he'd have been a luxury signing, but we need to spread the budget elsewhere. 

Lets see what today has in store for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

If we sandwich a defence of THB - Bendarek - Stephens between the right personnel then it is serviceable in the Premier League. I think the team has three more important concerns, where the majority of the budget needs to go, so I'm not wholly against some cheap development centre-backs. 

Key areas to improve this summer are goalkeeper, CDM (Downes, or Downes equivalent) and a striker. If we were relying on Adams, A. Armstrong, Mara and Stewart who picks up a knock every time he steps on the pitch for goals then I don't think that's workable in this league and we'd be relegated. I believe the same would/will happen if we're relying on McCarthy, Lumley and eventually Bazunu to keep the goals out as they simply aren't good enough. Downes is also key as we saw how open our team was without him in the second tier. The three centre-backs however have at least played a part in keeping us and Stephens helped keep Bournemouth in the league last time he was up here. They just need a quality stopper and a defensive midfielder helping them so that their limitations aren't also picked up on by having a weak defence around them. 

On O'Reilly, he'd have been a luxury signing, but we need to spread the budget elsewhere. 

Lets see what today has in store for us.

Agreed on all of that. Stephens really is much better than people say, and will be fine in a 3. Neither of the 2 new lads rumoured to be coming in will start ahead of him imo. If the choice is spending proper money spent on a goalscorer or a luxury midfielder (in addition to Downes) the priority must be the goalscorer. I emphasise the word goalscorer rather than striker as we have players who technically are, but none of those will get the goals to keep us up. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Personally I have been advocating signing the best from the championship for many years. What our promotion in 2012 showed me was that top class talent in the Championship can become to class talent in the Prem. Putting finances to one side, this is the perfect summer to sign players from the championship. We should know the players we like inside and out. We will be signing players that want to be here, fit right in and can make an immediate impact as they are better than we already have. 

The difference today is that in 2012 we had some decent youngsters that we have developed so lets hope Smallbone develops into a top PL player

9 hours ago, egg said:

Yes, football is a business, but it is a sad state of affairs that your focus was on potential future profit rather than hoping that the lads would come into the team and do well. 

If they didn't do well how would they make a profit in the future? One is necessary for the other.

that bit needn't have been written down.

But to appease those who cant read between the lines... Its a great bit of business. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the was first choice alongside THB by the end of year.

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If they didn't do well how would they make a profit in the future? One is necessary for the other.

that bit needn't have been written down.

But to appease those who cant read between the lines... Its a great bit of business. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the was first choice alongside THB by the end of year.

The point is that your post made future profit the priority. It isn't. It's about players improving the team, and the team doing well. Seems odd that anyone would focus on the profit on a player who ain't kicked a ball for us yet. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, egg said:

Agreed on all of that. Stephens really is much better than people say, and will be fine in a 3. Neither of the 2 new lads rumoured to be coming in will start ahead of him imo. If the choice is spending proper money spent on a goalscorer or a luxury midfielder (in addition to Downes) the priority must be the goalscorer. I emphasise the word goalscorer rather than striker as we have players who technically are, but none of those will get the goals to keep us up. 

Recency bias. Stephens was making a mistake a game in the championship which thankfully wasn't punished because of the lack of quality in opposition, his passing in particular was awful. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, egg said:

The point is that your post made future profit the priority. It isn't. It's about players improving the team, and the team doing well. Seems odd that anyone would focus on the profit on a player who ain't kicked a ball for us yet. 

I actually said in a long winded way that it was a shrewd/clever bit of business that could have good long term implications.

and when there a still a few in the fans camp are still questioning Sport Republic transfer decisions, that is important.

• Like 1

I never understand it when people "moan" about signings when the window is still open. We can only judge fully at the close of it and then really only after they've played. The business so far seems very pragmatic, and shred in a few cases. THB is a no-brainer decent signing but that was great business last summer really. Taylor is smart, loads of PL experience for no transfer fee, great, and a player who has always looked good if not spectacular which is fine by me as Amy better and he'll get snapped up anyway. 

Wood and Edwards sound like two excellent signings to me especially for the money quoted. Sure it's a step up to PL but if RM thinks they're good enough then that's fine for now. Like others I would like a ready to go CB especially if JB goes but signing 3 may be asking alot as it stands.

Downes is unproven in the PL but clearly proven in our system and is paramount to our progress. If speculation is to be believed he will sign shortly. The longer it goes on the more doubt will be raised. 

We certainly need another CDM, Ghoddos may be smart but that seems to have gone quiet. 

We definitely need 3 or 4 attacking additions. Fraser seems done and Lallana are good experienced options. A winger like Clarke might be good and we certainly need a striker. I'm not keen on us keeping Adams. Stewart I predict will come good. 

I can't see a new GK arriving but we really need one. This is one area of concern I have about RM but overall I think he will continue to do a great job. I'm very pleased they extended their potential stays. 

The next 3 or 4 weeks will see quite a few ins and outs at Saints so chill out nervous people and enjoy it🤣

• Like 4

We can have the best defence in the world but if McCarthy is our first choice goalkeeper we're stuffed. Get a decent keeper in, for god sake. Good signings so far, though. Particularly happy about Edwards. Need Downes over the line - are West Ham bluffing about going cold on KWP, who's now attracting interest from Brighton (please no). Or might we be able to persuade him to stay? Can dream. Looks like we are indeed pissing Celtic off by going low-ball on the offer for O'Riley. Or maybe peeing him off on the wages. Dangerous. At some point we'll need to sort this out. Give him a signing on bonus rather than a wage that will annoy everyone else?

Complete free agent list. Still lots of quality players available. Maybe signing an experienced CB like Matip or Varane to help the 3 young CBs out (out of our wage range but that sort of idea) would be sensible. It's also gone quiet on those links to Ghoddos and O'Hare unless they were just rumours.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/vertragslosespieler

Any of our forum club contacts heard anything about Matias Soule? I believe we were heavily interested but it depended on whether we went up or not. Which we did. Obviously.

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Complete free agent list. Still lots of quality players available. Maybe signing an experienced CB like Matip or Varane to help the 3 young CBs out (out of our wage range but that sort of idea) would be sensible. It's also gone quiet on those links to Ghoddos and O'Hare unless they were just rumours.

Any of our forum club contacts heard anything about Matias Soule? I believe we were heavily interested but it depended on whether we went up or not. Which we did. Obviously.

Would you take a risk on De Gea? Give him a one year contract and say 'rescue your career'?.....Was a good keeper a few years back.

8 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Would you take a risk on De Gea? Give him a one year contract and say 'rescue your career'?.....Was a good keeper a few years back.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/david-de-gea-sends-three-29422279

Factors you'd have to consider is fitness and wages. Yes, signing De Gea would be an easy decision for a club like Saints as he's very good but his wages will be too high even after a year out the game. Then there are question marks over why he was out for a year and why other clubs didn't go in for one of the best keepers of the last 10 years. Enjoying life too much perhaps? Attitude? I still think he's end up in Saudi.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

No. Makes great saves (although still prone to more than the odd gash) but is crap with his feet. That's why ManU let him go. The latter seems to be the priority to play in our system, otherwise we'd never have got Baz in in the first place. Which also makes me think the McCarthy has been resignrd as back up, he'll do in an emergency (as he proved) but someone else needed long term.

Edited by Wurzel

58 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/david-de-gea-sends-three-29422279

Factors you'd have to consider is fitness and wages. Yes, signing De Gea would be an easy decision for a club like Saints as he's very good but his wages will be too high even after a year out the game. Then there are question marks over why he was out for a year and why other clubs didn't go in for one of the best keepers of the last 10 years. Enjoying life too much perhaps? Attitude? I still think he's end up in Saudi.

He's about 200 times better than what we have. But yes, wages probably. Perhaps Russ could sweet talk him?

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Mat Ryan stands out on that list. 32 years old, so you'd imagine will have a few years left in him.

Extensive Prem experience. 13 clean sheets in 29 last season as AZ Alkmaar finished 4th in Eredivisie. Able to play in a 'sweeper keeper' role.

One year deal (or 1+1 option?) to cover Bazunu/until we decide what to do with him?

• Like 1

Just now, ant said:

Mat Ryan stands out on that list. 32 years old, so you'd imagine will have a few years left in him.

Extensive Prem experience. 13 clean sheets in 29 last season as AZ Alkmaar finished 4th in Eredivisie. Able to play in a 'sweeper keeper' role.

One year deal (or 1+1 option?) to cover Bazunu/until we decide what to do with him?

we're not signing another keeper - we've just given McCarthy a new deal. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, JRM said:

We're by far the most sustainable football club the world has ever seen , and its all southampton, all southampton player trading limited, we love to make a profit and parade our balance sheet 

we could have loads of songs around this

"your business model is unsustainable" (you're so shit its unbelievable)

"do you comply with, do you comply with, do you comply with FFP?"

"oh Ronnie Edwards, the one and only, he came from Peterbourgh and we got him very cheap, in 3 years time great profits we will reap"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

"oh Ronnie Edwards, the one and only, he came from Peterbourgh and we got him very cheap, in 3 years time great profits we will reap"

Mate you are wasted on here. 😉

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Er.... .you're not the one who sings loudest... and is tone deaf - are you Turkish?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

For his most recent contract he was on £375k a week. 

49 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would Anthony Martial be worth a punt as a free agent? Good age, has got EPL experience and knows how to score a goal at the highest level.

For his most recent contract he was on £250k a week. 

Someone else also suggested Raheem Sterling, who's on £375k a week until 2027. 

Come on Saints, go for all three, show some ambition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Just as an example ....De Gea has been out the game for over a year.......he wouldn't command those wages now - IIRC utd gave him that amount as Real Madrid were sniffing around. If you offered him now 125k a week, on a free thats £6.5m in wages for the season and theoretically he would be our best keeper once up to speed, so value for money imo if he gets near his previous levels. Another factor it might piss off our other top players as we dont pay anywhere near that. 

But all moot anyway, must be a reason why he has no club still at this time, doesn't look like money talks as he turned down the ME. Maybe fallen out of love with the game or summink.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I swear people think this is all a game of Championship Manager!? That or they are just on a wind up.`

And on the new keeper chat... there is no way on earth McCarthy signed to stay here without the guarantee of playing this season.
Apparently he was offered starting keeper at Celtic and backup keeper at Liverpool. He doesnt turn either of those down to be on the bench here. There's probably no guarantee for next season, but I would bet money he's been told he will be playing in Bazunu's absence.

• Like 1

Edwards deal is done, was in his last year of contract, and they were scared he would go for nothing next year which is why its such a good price.  Other Peterborough target not happening and is still training at Peterborough.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

......and what if he gets injured? , we'd be left with Joe Lumley ..and one of the U21 lads as Prem. League keeper.

We can get an emergency loan, as we did when we brought in Caballero

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

(To tune of Go West)

Shit at accountancy

You’re shit at accountancy

You’re shit at accountancy

You’re shit at accountancy…

(plus Deloitte classics)

Bust in a minute, you’re going bust in a minute…

You’ll never win that, you’ll never win that FFP, you’ll never win that…

1885 will be right on it!

50 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I swear people think this is all a game of Championship Manager!? That or they are just on a wind up.`

And on the new keeper chat... there is no way on earth McCarthy signed to stay here without the guarantee of playing this season.
Apparently he was offered starting keeper at Celtic and backup keeper at Liverpool. He doesnt turn either of those down to be on the bench here. There's probably no guarantee for next season, but I would bet money he's been told he will be playing in Bazunu's absence.

He was more than happy to sign his last contract knowing full well he would be back up to Forster. And if we really only want him to stick around until Baz is fit then why have we given him a two year deal?

There is another, very simple, possible explanation why he chose to stay rather than go to Celtic or Liverpool... Perhaps he's just comfortable here and doesn't want to relocate his family to Glasgow or Merseyside. 

7 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Good - I wouldn’t want him for more than that money. Injury issues aside, he’s nowhere near the performance levels KWP showed last season (arguably not his best). I think most supporters understand the need to trade players, but for goodness sake to survive in the EPL you’ve got to bring in at least an equal level or preferably improve. In fact I’d argue he’s no better and no less a risk than Bree.

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

What about free agent Guido Rodriguez? Sounds like what we could need net to Flynn Downes?

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Recency bias. Stephens was making a mistake a game in the championship which thankfully wasn't punished because of the lack of quality in opposition, his passing in particular was awful. 

He is also very poor in the air. Happy to see him on the bench but we need better to start.

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

You’re just no fun. 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Good - I wouldn’t want him for more than that money. Injury issues aside, he’s nowhere near the performance levels KWP showed last season (arguably not his best). I think most supporters understand the need to trade players, but for goodness sake to survive in the EPL you’ve got to bring in at least an equal level or preferably improve. In fact I’d argue he’s no better and no less a risk than Bree.

As a right wing back fine, but he's not a great right back having seen him play for Norwich. We've just sorted out left back defensively, I hope we don't know screw up right back unless we're planning to bring in 2 of them (with PSR I can't see that).

Would be absolute madness to not upgrade the goalkeeper position. But knowing Saints we'll go with McCarthy. 

To me it starts with the GK. If he is letting in weak ones the confidence drops in the defenders in front of him, then the strikers are under even more pressure to score knowing that clean sheets aren't going to happen. Come on Saints, do we have to go through this AGAIN?

• Like 1