Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Surprised either us or another club have not announced his signing. I'd of thought it would have been all wrapped up some time ago. I guess our promotion and his involvement in the Euros will have impacted things? 

I imagine his agent will encourage him to wait until near the end of the window when teams panic and offer silly money contracts. 

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Underwhelming on paper but I don’t care as long as they’re competent and up to it. Definitely players that could prove to have a higher ceiling should they have that mentality.

Regarding the youth players going, it’s nothing new, it’s uninteresting, they’ve gone for a pay day, if they think they’re likely to walk into a starting team by going to a big club early then they must be deluded. 
Also well don’t to the club for standing their ground and saying “you aren’t worth that”. We shouldn’t be taken for mugs.

(See Jimmy-Jay Morgan - I see he’s a Chelsea regularly now he earns £10-20K a week.

Let’s be honest they getting any real opportunity at saints so we can hardly complain if they prefer to not get one at a bigger club for more money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Absolute brilliant bit of business getting both Wood and Edwards for £3m each.

It’s only good if they make a positive difference this season

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Let’s be honest they getting any real opportunity at saints so we can hardly complain if they prefer to not get one at a bigger club for more money.

You can’t really be saying that when you’re 16. They would have had plenty of opportunities at Saints if they’d stuck around and been good enough. I can’t imagine Will Smallbone playing 30 plus games at Chelsea.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

You can’t really be saying that when you’re 16. They would have had plenty of opportunities at Saints if they’d stuck around and been good enough. I can’t imagine Will Smallbone playing 30 plus games at Chelsea.

Going by Chelsea's transfer strategy, don't rule out them signing him for £35m in January.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Dibling and SAA barely got a sniff last season. That won't attract or retain kids. The decent kids will go elsewhere for more dollars to get the same lack of opportunities. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

I imagine his agent will encourage him to wait until near the end of the window when teams panic and offer silly money contracts. 

Hmm. Wolves just signed Jorgen Larsen, a striker from Celta Viga. I am wondering what other Prem club is going to be interested in him? I'd like us to move on and try someone else, but if we have offered him a contract, it doesn't seem like we want to. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Dibling and SAA barely got a sniff last season. That won't attract or retain kids. The decent kids will go elsewhere for more dollars to get the same lack of opportunities. 

Yes they did. SAA looked a long way off being ready, Dibling I didn’t see enough of but he had a few chances in the cups and the coaches clearly decided he (aged 17/18) isn’t ready for more yet.

You have to be as good as Mudryk or Jackson to get a chance at Chelsea, you have to be as good as Sekou Mara to get a chance here.

Two years ago, we signed a load of youngsters and then brought in the 'experienced' players to balance the side. Problem is Aribo, Maitland-Niles & Caleta Car weren't the experience we needed. If Ralph had also been given a striker, this thread would be so different.

What have we done so far? Signed a few youngsters and Lallana and Taylor for experience. Don't have an issue with Woods and Edwards coming in, but I'm hoping we can get in experienced players who are in their prime and not past it. Maybe one of them could be a striker!

Adams was poor for Scotland and demonstrated all his limitations. My thoughts were in next years Premier he really isn't good enough. I wouldn't be surprised if other Premier teams originally linked went cold on signing him. Now that he is out of contract I think we should move on. Personally even if he comes looking for the contract we should use the funds to get a better option.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

What a fun day. Only 63 more to go.

Another fun day. 62 to go. Wood, as I mentioned yesterday is a bit underwhelming, but a good price, so in a sense risk free and still got room for development. Hopefully allows us to free up funds for the three main positions - Goalkeeper, Downes and a striker. Could even allow us to go a bit higher for O'Reilly too.

Never seen Ronnie Edwards play, but his name has been mentioned on here for a few years now. So was Caleta-Car's and he was crap, but again, hopefully an English mentality and team spirit at the club makes up for any lack of talent. Again, a good price also with room for development. A couple of young England internationals, not too bad and THB as well, we could have the future England backline in the making. Recreate the Rodriguez, Shaw, Lallana, JWP and Lambert picture.

Shame to see the two youngsters go. But, there's a food chain at the youth level, like the seniors now and anyone who looks decent will get snapped up, like the seniors. Unfortunate we hadn't tied them down to their first pro deals, as the market values them at £15m+ these days.

The rest of the Premier League must be wishing they were us this summer. Shows you don't have to be one of the big six to get deals in early like we were told for so many years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Two years ago, we signed a load of youngsters and then brought in the 'experienced' players to balance the side. Problem is Aribo, Maitland-Niles & Caleta Car weren't the experience we needed. If Ralph had also been given a striker, this thread would be so different.

What have we done so far? Signed a few youngsters and Lallana and Taylor for experience. Don't have an issue with Woods and Edwards coming in, but I'm hoping we can get in experienced players who are in their prime and not past it. Maybe one of them could be a striker!

What evidence do you have that Taylor is past it? 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

What evidence do you have that Taylor is past it? 

Well exactly, if 30 is 'past it' I'm long since fucked.

Might as well arrange my funeral at this rate.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Another old’un on his way here, Martin Braithwaite?

scored a few goals in the Spanish second division last season.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well exactly, if 30 is 'past it' I'm long since fucked.

Might as well arrange my funeral at this rate.

Indeed. So far we've signed one experienced player in Lallana which is arguably a positive since we're quite down on prem experience in the midfield from last year. 

We've been linked with some other experienced players but signed none yet and it looks like we are signing two young cbs for peanuts. I don't see what the problem is. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Another old’un on his way here, Martin Braithwaite?

Was ultimately a bit of a flop the last time he was in England. Boro' signed him to spear head their promotion back to the prem, but I think he only got 4 or 5 goals in the Championship.

Went back to Spain and started scoring and somewhat astonishingly to every fan, ever, got a move to Barcelona and did score goals for them. 22 goals last season in the second tier of Spanish football, but he'll be 35 next year. Not sure he's our striker signing.

• Like 2

Braithwaite threw his toys out of the pram last summer. Knuckled down after not getting a move, but not the type of character profile we should be looking at.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It’s only good if they make a positive difference this season

No shit...players are only good if they're good. 

Thank God we've got you to cut through all the guff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken Tone said:

October 2024...

Adams joins up with DeGea for a clubless kickabout in the park. 🙂

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You have to be as good as Mudryk or Jackson to get a chance at Chelsea, you have to be as good as Sekou Mara to get a chance here.

The hopes raised of half the posters here, of finally living their dream and getting signed by Saints. 🙂

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Cedric Soares avaliable on a free could he do a job? 

Ryan Segs for left back 

And I'd take a look at Alfie Doughty and Harrison Burrows for left back / left wing 

Downes and Jack Cork in 

Shankland up top with Ings 

And Jack Clark 

Window Completed it mate !

I'm not even sure where to start on this one!

We just signed what will most likely be our first choice left back, we also have Manning, Larios and Meghoma although it is possible the last two will go out on loan. Our left back business is probably done. 

Sessegnon is training with Palace so will likely join them.

Soares and Cork 😄 

I do think we need two strikers or will need two strikers once any players leaving are confirmed, I wouldn't be against Ings on reduced wages. Shankland I don't know much about, 29 come the new season but does score a lot for Hearts.

I liked what I saw of Clarke at the start of last season but he'd be costly and he wasnt as effective when he came back from injury. On RTG they think he's great for the Championship but not quite good enough for the Prem which is why clubs are reluctant to pay the money they want for him... and that when they played Prem clubs he was largely ineffective. Of course you dont know someone is good enough for the Prem until yoh try them but it's a lot of money for a risk. I do think we'll get Fraser but I'm kinda hoping he's just a back up to a first choice.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed. So far we've signed one experienced player in Lallana which is arguably a positive since we're quite down on prem experience in the midfield from last year. 

We've been linked with some other experienced players but signed none yet and it looks like we are signing two young cbs for peanuts. I don't see what the problem is. 

There is no problem. We are assembling a squad ready to push for promotion in the 2025/26 season. Because we will be in the championship next season if that is our ambition and standard of signing.

Two cbs with not a moment of prem experience between them, one from a crap Swansea team, who was also crap himself, and one from a league 1 side. They may be cheap, but buy cheap buy twice…..we never learn really.

If we seriously think we will be playing out from the back and staying up I give you Burnley.

Look at the Forest and Brentford squads. They are who we need to finish above. We won’t  

* yes I know we are in early July, and could sign some great players, but I get a cheap and cheerful vibe. Martin will be sacked after 10 games and 5 points. Then what with his team all signed? 
Yep, shoot me down for not believing, but I’m not seeing a prem team forming (yet).

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

To be honest I watched a lot of B team games as well, SAA wasn't doing enough to justify a first team place. To wasteful in possession, if they were good enough they'd have been in 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, vectraman said:

There is no problem. We are assembling a squad ready to push for promotion in the 2025/26 season. Because we will be in the championship next season if that is our ambition and standard of signing.

Two cbs with not a moment of prem experience between them, one from a crap Swansea team, who was also crap himself, and one from a league 1 side. They may be cheap, but buy cheap buy twice…..we never learn really.

If we seriously think we will be playing out from the back and staying up I give you Burnley.

Look at the Forest and Brentford squads. They are who we need to finish above. We won’t  

* yes I know we are in early July, and could sign some great players, but I get a cheap and cheerful vibe. Martin will be sacked after 10 games and 5 points. Then what with his team all signed? 
Yep, shoot me down for not believing, but I’m not seeing a prem team forming (yet).

FFP...

1 minute ago, vectraman said:

You're head mental mate. Since when does signing someone from league one mean they are a bad signing? We've also signed THB who everyone would be lauding as a cracking signing if he hadn't been here last year. Woods is a very low cost gamble who is probably being brought in as backup. If he has a solid season he probably trebles his value. We already have two cbs with prem experience and we've just brought in a lb with loads of prem experience. 

You've got no idea how we are likely to adapt to the prem next year. We tried going big with youngsters last time we were here and failed dismally when loads of people gave the summer window a 9 out of 10. The season will be very hard but I am happy to wager we will make a better fist of it this year. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, vectraman said:

I see these sorts of posts and chatter a lot all over social media, the question I always see put as a reply is.....''Who would you sign?'' - fair question. What realistic names do you feel are suitable for us? 

People seem to be forgetting that we have already spent £20m on a centre back. THB. He is our first choice CB signing of the summer.

We are now signing another two centre backs to add depth and options to the squad, both England youth internationals with very high ceilings - for a combined £6m between them. What's exactly wrong with that? We're not signing Ronnie Edwards and Nathan Wood to keep us up as a first choice centre back partnership.

Charlie Taylor is also a PL left back, there is absolutley zero wrong with his signing and is probably the most sensible addition we have made for years in that area.

But yeah, name some names of realistic signings who you feel would be viable options for us. Take into account the FFP constraints we remain under and the fact that we've already splurged £20m on THB (and are reserving £15m for Downes)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

You can’t really be using smallbone as an example, somebody we gave a chance because we got relegated and had impressed at that level for stoke. There’s little evidence of if they stuck around they’d have opportunities. (Actually Harrison reed shows path smallbone likely would have gone without relegation) ward prowse is the previous success story 10 plus years ago. Recent evidence is that you are more likely to get a chance to play for Southampton by signing for a Man City/chelsea. (Edozie goes from millwall to city, doesn’t playa minute, bought for 10million etc). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

You can’t really be using smallbone as an example, somebody we gave a chance because we got relegated and had impressed at that level for stoke. There’s little evidence of if they stuck around they’d have opportunities. (Actually Harrison reed shows path smallbone likely would have gone without relegation) ward prowse is the previous success story 10 plus years ago. Recent evidence is that you are more likely to get a chance to play for Southampton by signing for a Man City/chelsea. (Edozie goes from millwall to city, doesn’t playa minute, bought for 10million etc). 

You’re looking at the whole thing the wrong way around. Man City and Chelsea youngsters are more likely to play for Saints because the top 5% of their youngsters are generally much better than anything we produce. They have to take a step down in order to play first team football because competition there is so high. Edozie would never have had a whiff of first team football at City, here he’s a first team regular.

Smallbone made 20 first team appearances before he went to Stoke. If he’d managed to achieve mediocrity, he wouldn’t have been loaned out at all but he needed at least a season at a lower level to develop.

• Like 2

Can anybody enlighten me with perhaps a degree of certainty, given how much we got for going up, given FFP, how much exactly we have got to spend this transfer window? 

I keep reading assertations that we've got nothing thanks to FFP, then we're linked with players for a few million, does anybody actually know what the figure, if anything, is?

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I see these sorts of posts and chatter a lot all over social media, the question I always see put as a reply is.....''Who would you sign?'' - fair question. What realistic names do you feel are suitable for us? 

People seem to be forgetting that we have already spent £20m on a centre back. THB. He is our first choice CB signing of the summer.

We are now signing another two centre backs to add depth and options to the squad, both England youth internationals with very high ceilings - for a combined £6m between them. What's exactly wrong with that? We're not signing Ronnie Edwards and Nathan Wood to keep us up as a first choice centre back partnership.

Charlie Taylor is also a PL left back, there is absolutley zero wrong with his signing and is probably the most sensible addition we have made for years in that area.

But yeah, name some names of realistic signings who you feel would be viable options for us. Take into account the FFP constraints we remain under and the fact that we've already splurged £20m on THB (and are reserving £15m for Downes)

Well if we are (allegedly) playing 3 centre backs, and two are Benarek and THB, which of stephens or the other two would be your 3rd cb then?  In my nipper’s words, Stephens is a try hard, but not good enough, and the other 2?
If our aim is to be a yoyo club, that’s fine. I get that. Financially it’s sensible. To get safe in the prem, you’d need to spend North of £100 million. Which we can’t allegedly afford. I don’t pretend to understand ffp, I’m interested in football not politics. Charlie Taylor I believe is a decent, sensible signing, assuming we have signed him. We need more, similar to him.  Prem experienced and half decent. Not league 1 with potential, or championship knows the manager but crap last year. Cheap yes. Squad fillers? Yep. Better than we have? Probably not. Hence not improving the squad.

We need to recruit first team starters, not squad fillers. They won’t keep us up. That’s recruitments job to select the right players. I genuinely can’t name anyone - I don’t play football manager, nor do I study obscure players in Norwegian/ Swedish/South American leagues. But I sure hope the club does…

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Can anybody enlighten me with perhaps a degree of certainty, given how much we got for going up, given FFP, how much exactly we have got to spend this transfer window? 

I keep reading assertations that we've got nothing thanks to FFP, then we're linked with players for a few million, does anybody actually know what the figure, if anything, is?

nope. because if that was a known figure negotiations would be a nightmare.

doubt you would get that figure from anywhere but the board.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Well if we are (allegedly) playing 3 centre backs, and two are Benarek and THB, which of stephens or the other two would be your 3rd cb then?  In my nipper’s words, Stephens is a try hard, but not good enough, and the other 2?
If our aim is to be a yoyo club, that’s fine. I get that. Financially it’s sensible. To get safe in the prem, you’d need to spend North of £100 million. Which we can’t allegedly afford. I don’t pretend to understand ffp, I’m interested in football not politics. Charlie Taylor I believe is a decent, sensible signing, assuming we have signed him. We need more, similar to him.  Prem experienced and half decent. Not league 1 with potential, or championship knows the manager but crap last year. Cheap yes. Squad fillers? Yep. Better than we have? Probably not. Hence not improving the squad.

We need to recruit first team starters, not squad fillers. They won’t keep us up. That’s recruitments job to select the right players. I genuinely can’t name anyone - I don’t play football manager, nor do I study obscure players in Norwegian/ Swedish/South American leagues. But I sure hope the club does…

the thing wth young players. There is a chance that they will improve.

If one out of Woods or Edwards is a success, then the profits in 3 years time would be £20million plus.

you have to speculate to accumulate and when theyve already got 200 first team league games between them at 21/22 then its shrewd business. 

If these two are brought in as squad players then it will be their job to show enough on the training pitch to dislodge Bednarek or Stephens.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, vectraman said:

I don't know if we'll go 3 at the back from day 1, I'm not sure either will be a starter on day 1 - but both have the potential to be, certainly Edwards.

How do you know they've not selected the right players in Edwards and Taylor? When we last got promoted we picked Jay Rodriguez, Clyne, Davis from lesser leagues and they turned out alright. There is no harm looking into League 1 or the Championship for Premier League players. Spurs signed Dele Alli from League 1 at the time.

Price or stature of player doesn't equal success. Our best success has come from the unknown, lesser attractive, 'underwhelming' signings. Those are the sorts of signings that are scouted more thoroughly I find.

When we were having our Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo, Vestergaard, Boufal sprees for like over £100m (not a single one of those worked out), I was somewhat envious of the likes of Bowen and Craig Dawson rocking up at WHU as they were much more suited than anything we'd spent 20x the amount on.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If one out of Woods or Edwards is a success, then the profits in 3 years time would be £20million plus.

you have to speculate to accumulate and when theyve already got 200 first team league games between them at 21/22 then its shrewd business. 

If these two are brought in as squad players then it will be their job to show enough on the training pitch to dislodge Bednarek or Stephens.

If rumours are to be believed then worth emphasising that 3 million each is actually an insane deal in today's market. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One of the saddest thing about modern football is fans talking about what profit we can make from a player before we even signed them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't know if we'll go 3 at the back from day 1, I'm not sure either will be a starter on day 1 - but both have the potential to be, certainly Edwards.

How do you know they've not selected the right players in Edwards and Taylor? When we last got promoted we picked Jay Rodriguez, Clyne, Davis from lesser leagues and they turned out alright. There is no harm looking into League 1 or the Championship for Premier League players. Spurs signed Dele Alli from League 1 at the time.

Price or stature of player doesn't equal success. Our best success has come from the unknown, lesser attractive, 'underwhelming' signings. Those are the sorts of signings that are scouted more thoroughly I find.

When we were having our Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo, Vestergaard, Boufal sprees for like over £100m (not a single one of those worked out), I was somewhat envious of the likes of Bowen and Craig Dawson rocking up at WHU as they were much more suited than anything we'd spent 20x the amount on.

I agree, less sometimes is more. Sometimes it isn’t. For Clyne, Cuco Martinez. For Rodriguez, Juanmi. Cheap also isn’t necessarily a bargain. I’d be happy if we signed Elijah Adabayo from Luton to replace Che. 10 goals in 27 games last season. Will we? Who knows! Probably not. But that’s the type of player I’d be hoping to sign. 
For every Lavia we had Gunn, Bazunu, Charles, Larios…..(City can keep their crap keepers!)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

One of the saddest thing about modern football is fans talking about what profit we can make from a player before we even signed them. 

rubbish. Football is a business and player are the businesses assets.

The whole point is sustainability now AND in the future.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I'm fine with the signings we have made - would take Wood or Edwarss to be squad options every time over dross like Lyanco and financially its got more upside too.

I'm more worried about the attacking element - we really will need to add some proper quality there (both up front and out wide/no10) to even have a sniff of staying up.

Thats what will cost big cash and hopefully by being canny with the sigings we have made we will have budget for it. We are already weakened by not having Stu, Adams or Brooks so major work to do there in the next two months - needs at minimum one guarenteed starter.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

You must have hated Wembley, bet you’re excited see the accounts in a few weeks time 

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Yes, football is a business, but it is a sad state of affairs that your focus was on potential future profit rather than hoping that the lads would come into the team and do well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Rubbish ! Football is a game for the purists! Talking about selling a player for profit before we have even bought is bullshit !

• Like 1

They may be cheap but still very pessimistic about these and RM's judge of character/player, that's the problem with having not only no director of football but no one who seems to have a clue up the food chain, we desperately need a spine, gk, cb, cdm/cm and striker instead we sign inexperience cbs, offer 2yr contract to a gk who had 3 good games after trying to get him out of the door for 2yrs, offering a contract to a striker who can't hit a barn door and doesn't want to be here 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danjosaint said:

They may be cheap but still very pessimistic about these and RM's judge of character/player, that's the problem with having not only no director of football but no one who seems to have a clue up the food chain, we desperately need a spine, gk, cb, cdm/cm and striker instead we sign inexperience cbs, offer 2yr contract to a gk who had 3 good games after trying to get him out of the door for 2yrs, offering a contract to a striker who can't hit a barn door and doesn't want to be here 

I suspect RM realises his team needs a spine, he doesn't need a DOF to point that out. 

No RM has decided he needs his mates, if he knows he needs a spine why give AM a new contract as they aren't getting rid of Baz so I doubt keeper incoming and not really any space for a cb