Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

O'Riley and O'Hare look like they'd complement each other pretty well.

O'yes.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

What a fun day. Only 63 more to go.

This time two years ago we had already signed Bazunu, Lis and ABK, so we're currently 3-3 on senior signings with THB, Lallana and Taylor. 3-0 up on last summer with the first senior signing coming in the form of Ryan Manning on July 11th.

The days of us spending all summer waiting for a signing under Gao are well and truly done.

15 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We should join the party, not sit and gripe about others. Who've we got, who do we want?

Mara to Valenciennes for £950m, Sanda to Saints for £950m. Sign them both to 1000-year contracts (the first few years being paid like a normal contract, the remaining 995+ years being paid £1 a week, with a player option to opt out once the wages drop to £1 a week) so the transfer fees are amortised over the course of a millennium (£950k a year; peanuts really). Saints can then afford to spend more than £1b over the next three years without FFP/PSR danger. Use that £1b of wiggle room to buy our way into the Champions League spots.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Our priority should be oven-ready PL players ie guys who can hit the ground running - because from Day 1, this is going to be a tough season. 
Pretty sure Wood does not fit into this category. 

10 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Our priority should be oven-ready PL players ie guys who can hit the ground running - because from Day 1, this is going to be a tough season. 

I might be very wrong but I'd be very surprised if a £4 million (Source Swansea forums) CB from the Championship will be starting on Day 1 of the Premier League season (barring injuries to other CBs). To me the Wood deal smells of us signing a back up who may or may not improve, based on his age, speed and height. I still think we'll bring another CB in (or deem Jan as being good enough for a season in the Prem now).

Swansea fans seem to think he lacks concentration, positioning and plays it safe and they universally seem to dislike him. Maybe we think he's got the raw materials to be a decent defender and can be coached. As I said, I would be very surprised if he was a starting CB in August.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

I might be very wrong but I'd be very surprised if a £4 million (Source Swansea forums) CB from the Championship will be starting on Day 1 of the Premier League season (barring injuries to other CBs). To me the Wood deal smells of us signing a back up who may or may not improve, based on his age, speed and height. I still think we'll bring another CB in (or deem Jan as being good enough for a season in the Prem now).

Swansea fans seem to think he lacks concentration, positioning and plays it safe and they universally seem to dislike him. Maybe we think he's got the raw materials to be a decent defender and can be coached. As I said, I would be very surprised if he was a starting CB in August.

We were told that Swansea fans didn't rate Martin and were happy to see him go. That turned out alright.

Maybe they aren't the best judge of ability?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He's 7 million but Middlesbrough have a 25% sell on clause. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We were told that Swansea fans didn't rate Martin and were happy to see him go. That turned out alright.

For those "doubters " (above) ......perhaps they may have missed the fact that at 6'2"  Wood more than qualifies for the role of a CB,

- especially as he already has  26 England U16-U21 caps... and made his England U21 debut in the same side as Harwood Bellis  earlier

in the Spring.     RM must have seen some quality in him whilst they were both at Swansea, so I know whose judgment I would accept.

Any transfer that is in under double figures (in terms of millions) has to be a reasonable deal in the current market situation.

There are players out there who are playing in lower league clubs, but are still good quality and worth the investment. 

(Historical note: In recent years I have heard a number of  " name " managers , who said they had " looked at "...Virgil van Dijk playing 

at Celtic ....but didn't think he could make the transition to English football (!)....   Saints didn't share those doubts.

Naturally we cannot compare the two as they are totally different generations, but It might be interesting to look back in 5 years time 

and see what sort of progress Nathan Wood makes in his career, and if he was really worth such a paltry fee. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Re: Demarai Gray - Another winger with oodles of pace and tricks and not enough goals. My kind of player.

"Southampton and their south coast rivals Bournemouth are considering whether to offer Demarai Gray a route back to the Premier League less than 12 months after he joined Saudi Pro League side Al-Ettifaq, GIVEMESPORT understands. 

The 28-year-old winger headed to the Middle East from Everton last summer to link up with Steven Gerrard, and has gone on to score four goals in 25 appearances. 

Although Ettifaq are yet to receive any official offers, that could change in the coming weeks as Southampton boss Russell Martin and Bournemouth head coach Andoni Iraola have both contemplated whether to make a move for Gray, who still has three years remaining on his £94,000-per-week contract. Turkish side Galatarasay also hold a serious interest and could pursue a transfer, having missed out on Rafa Silva to Besiktas."

Where are we finding the money for this deal? Or is Saudi so shite that the player will force it through no matter what?!!

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

For those "doubters " (above) ......perhaps they may have missed the fact that at 6'2"  Wood more than qualifies for the role of a CB,

- especially as he already has  26 England U16-U21 caps... and made his England U21 debut in the same side as Harwood Bellis  earlier

in the Spring.     RM must have seen some quality in him whilst they were both at Swansea, so I know whose judgment I would accept.

Any transfer that is in under double figures (in terms of millions) has to be a reasonable deal in the current market situation.

There are players out there who are playing in lower league clubs, but are still good quality and worth the investment. 

(Historical note: In recent years I have heard a number of  " name " managers , who said they had " looked at "...Virgil van Dijk playing 

at Celtic ....but didn't think he could make the transition to English football (!)....   Saints didn't share those doubts.

Naturally we cannot compare the two as they are totally different generations, but It might be interesting to look back in 5 years time 

and see what sort of progress Nathan Wood makes in his career, and if he was really worth such a paltry fee. 

I thought Wood was a left footed CB. If so, I think we might see him start as THB’s partnering CB sooner rather than later, however I just read he’s right-footed, so not sure whether there’s an advantage.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

FREE TRANSFER ...seems to a phrase that upsets some on here, who consider that the player has no value, and is being discarded by his club.  

Nothing can be further from the truth. There are many valid reasons that players may leave a club, and naturally "not fitting the bill ", or being a 

square peg,  surplus to requirements, or  not making a speedy recovering from injury, or even catching the managers eye are all similar issues 

but there are also those players who don't want to renew their contracts ...for a variety of personal reasons.

One might guess that Charlie Taylor chose the move himself, or perhaps newly-relegated Burnley couldn't afford his salary level in the Championship, and  

are looking to freshen up their side with younger (and cheaper) talents.   Ryan Fraser's situation was well-publicised during last season, and is obvious.

Likewise.. if  Adam Lallana stays the course this season, he might even stay on longer (?), but we do know that these men represent good investments 

with many hundreds of games between them, and will bring much experience to the dressing room slowly filling with young talents and foreign newcomers. 

I do not expect these to be the last " frees" we sign this season, but as the alternative seems to be some sort of crazy contest to break the club's transfer 

record every season by signing totally unsuitable players who clearly don't fit the bill, the alternative seems an obvious solution in the short term. 

Saints have benefitted by many such deals in the distant past, but (sadly) have seen some very good talents go out of the door for no good reason. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

"progressed", what a cnt, bye. 

What is the source for this though? The narrative that ABK has a bad attitude seems to be one of those Saintsweb myths that has grown from the fact he had the misfortune to have a few injuries. He was seemingly the only one of our loaned out players who was in with the fans cheering us on at Wembley, doesn't suggest an attitude problem to me.

He may well be off this summer but there seems to be a lot of lazy assumptions about him on here.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Need to concentrate fully on getting a strong starting 11.

Back up players = tomorrows dead wood / put out on loan / how can we cut our losses / he can sod off for free, scenarios.

5 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Need to concentrate fully on getting a strong starting 11.

Back up players = tomorrows dead wood / put out on loan / how can we cut our losses / he can sod off for free, scenarios.

Or the make up of our Championship team in 2025-6.:suspicious: 

But yes our first XI is nowhere near strong enough right now but we still have 6 weeks or so to sort it.

Wait...6 weeks? :scared:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Long Shot said:

So what is your definition "oven ready PL player?" Top foriegn players who haven't played in the PL before? People like Adam Lalana and Charley Taylor who have played 100's of PL games between them? What proportion of the team/squad should be "oven ready? What proportion should be "exciting young talents?" What proportions should "roadsweepers" and "violinists" fulfill? Are you suggesting that we should just be spunking what money we have on players JUST because they have played in the PL?

Edited by miserableoldgit

3 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Mara to Valenciennes for £950m, Sanda to Saints for £950m. Sign them both to 1000-year contracts (the first few years being paid like a normal contract, the remaining 995+ years being paid £1 a week, with a player option to opt out once the wages drop to £1 a week) so the transfer fees are amortised over the course of a millennium (£950k a year; peanuts really). Saints can then afford to spend more than £1b over the next three years without FFP/PSR danger. Use that £1b of wiggle room to buy our way into the Champions League spots.

It's called the Ever-Sea-Castle-Villa method

47 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

FREE TRANSFER ...seems to a phrase that upsets some on here, who consider that the player has no value, and is being discarded by his club.  

Nothing can be further from the truth. There are many valid reasons that players may leave a club, and naturally "not fitting the bill ", or being a 

square peg,  surplus to requirements, or  not making a speedy recovering from injury, or even catching the managers eye are all similar issues 

but there are also those players who don't want to renew their contracts ...for a variety of personal reasons.

One might guess that Charlie Taylor chose the move himself, or perhaps newly-relegated Burnley couldn't afford his salary level in the Championship, and  

are looking to freshen up their side with younger (and cheaper) talents.   Ryan Fraser's situation was well-publicised during last season, and is obvious.

Likewise.. if  Adam Lallana stays the course this season, he might even stay on longer (?), but we do know that these men represent good investments 

with many hundreds of games between them, and will bring much experience to the dressing room slowly filling with young talents and foreign newcomers. 

I do not expect these to be the last " frees" we sign this season, but as the alternative seems to be some sort of crazy contest to break the club's transfer 

record every season by signing totally unsuitable players who clearly don't fit the bill, the alternative seems an obvious solution in the short term. 

Saints have benefitted by many such deals in the distant past, but (sadly) have seen some very good talents go out of the door for no good reason. 

I seem to remember that one of our best ever defenders, Dean Richards, was a free transfer from Wolves....

• Like 4

We are bringing in a few old heads that's kool but it doesn't really get the fans excited does it.... 

When are we getting out the cheque book and bringing in the big guns.. 

Marquee signings / Man City talent/ Carlos Kick a balls..... 

Can we expect the likes of 

Jack Clarke,  Bellingham, Summerville, Carvalho, Philogene 

My bet is on this:

We will either sign Ings or Shankland 

I must admit I am finding our  current transfer policy refreshing. Gone are the days of buying unknown foreign players who might be the next big thing and welcome to buying predominantly British players that either know the Premiership or RM believes can make the step up from the Championship or the Scottish league. We need mentally tough players as well as grafters and the odd flair player that will complement the side.

Goodbye ABK, Sully, Alcaraz, Mara, Tall Paul

ABK made of glass and attitude stinks

Sully absolute waste of money, only a great player in his own head

Alcaraz has the potential to be very good in Europe but not in the Premiership

Mara is lazy and no signs he will ever make it in England

Tall Paul just not a Premiership player

• Like 8

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Surely Bednarek is already deemed good enough for the Prem? He is as good if not better than anyone we could realistically afford.

• Like 6

I's be quite happy with signing Nathan Wood for £7M.  At 6ft 2 he is tall enough to play centre back and as an England U21 player he has the potential and at 22 the time to improve.  

And if we are going to play 3 at the back for a lot of games this season we probably need 5 centre backs to give us the depth we need.  TBH, Bednarek, Stephens and Wood gives us some depth with experience and potential. We probably just need one more.

I'd have taken Woods over Edwards from Peterborough - at 5ft 11 he is probably a little bit too short for a centre back in the Premier League and has only played at League 1 level. Wood in comparison shone under Martin at Swansea in the Championship. 

I'd be quite happy with THB and Bednarek as the starting two centre backs in a back 4. 

Bednarek has proved he can handle the premier league in the past with a good partner and in a functioning team - plus I think he has improved as a player and become more of a leader than he was before he left for Villa.  He certainly has a better record in the premier league than Rodon for example.

I am assuming ABK is on his way out for lots of reasons.

My worry is that Bednarek leaves this summer as he only has 1 year left on his contract and unless he signs a new one I can see the club selling him. I think Stephens will give us one more year then make a return to Plymouth. 

As Wood is right footed according to Transfermarkt I would quite like us to sign a left footed centre back to complete the 5 - Jacob Greaves at Hull would be my pick. A left footed 6ft 4 centre back and at 23 a good age.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Surely Bednarek is already deemed good enough for the Prem? He is as good if not better than anyone we could realistically afford.

We did loan him out last time we were in the Prem in favour of other CBs so it seems the powers that be didn't think so (although we were a clusterf*ck back then), but after a good season in the Championship and having played in the Euros group games he's possibly a more experienced player this time round and I like him.

I said the other day if we were linked with a CB who is at the prime age of their career who has tons of experience and just had a great Championship season, we'd be happy, but with PSR haunting everyone, we also need to remember he only has one year of his contract left - if he's not going to sign a new one we either sell him this summer for funds or lose him next summer on a free.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, saintant said:

Indeed. If we were about to sign a 28 year old CB with 60 international caps and 154 Premier League appearance, the Saintsweb intelligentsia gussets would be getting moister than Bobby Davro's chamois leather.... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, saintant said:

YES Jan Bednarek is well proven and could be captain. He had a dodgy spell two years ago when the club was having a dodgy spell, he had a falling out with the fans, but he's fallen back in with me, big time.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed. If we were about to sign a 28 year old CB with 60 international caps and 154 Premier League appearance, the Saintsweb intelligentsia's gussets would be getting moister than Bobby Davro's chamois leather.... ;)

We would indeed. However, the fact that he's already been here about seven years and we've had the pleasure of watching almost all of those 154 appearances leads me to believe that in reality Bednarek is a substandard PL player, whose many mistakes cost us a lot of goals at this level.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We would indeed. However, the fact that he's already been here about seven years and we've had the pleasure of watching almost all of those 154 appearances leads me to believe that in reality Bednarek is a substandard PL player, whose many mistakes cost us a lot of goals at this level.

....but it also proves that stats (including being PL Oven Ready) alone are no good measure.....

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Badger said:

Where has that come from ? Not seen anything suggesting that before. 

O’Riley I can understand after he’s had a pretty outstanding season, but an average championship CB is questionable. 

I took it from here, but to be honest I've no idea whether any of what they say is true or not, as even though they stick a source on it, you can never find the original post

image.png.07dddec96a178dc77c73ca504adbd075.png

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

I'd only seen Swansea fans in bits that he left, most rated him, but clearly his style splits opinions between modern and old school "get it forward" types.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

As Wood is right footed according to Transfermarkt I would quite like us to sign a left footed centre back to complete the 5 - Jacob Greaves at Hull would be my pick. A left footed 6ft 4 centre back and at 23 a good age.

Greaves would be my choice for CB as well, although Hull will want a decent fee for him, which we probably aren't prepared to spend.

• Like 3

All this talk of new players, but nothing on this forum about integrating our existing youngsters, apart from Meghoma. Are they all considered too raw. Lawrence made the bench last season. Is he way below Nathan Wood? Ballard got injured, but will be play a part? Are Dibling and toned for season long loans? Will Bragg get a look in?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Badger said:

Greaves would be my choice for CB as well, although Hull will want a decent fee for him, which we probably aren't prepared to spend.

I think he'd expect to be first choice, and I don't think that's what we're looking for in a CB signing.

The club have just committed £20m on a new first choice CB in THB, even though we had him last year we did have to spend out on him to keep him. Any new additional CB now will be squad cover and Wood is probably the most suitable who is 'happy' to be squad cover.

A lot depends on what happens with Bednarek though, he's into his final year now - need to see him commit to a new deal or I imagine we'll look for a 2nd first choice CB.

Edited by S-Clarke

44 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

All this talk of new players, but nothing on this forum about integrating our existing youngsters, apart from Meghoma. Are they all considered too raw. Lawrence made the bench last season. Is he way below Nathan Wood? Ballard got injured, but will be play a part? Are Dibling and toned for season long loans? Will Bragg get a look in?

I would imagine Premier League would be too big a leap from U21s, I would anticipate sooner if our players nearest the first team will be landed out for game time in Championship or League One, like Smallbone at Stoke 2 years ago. 

Would make sense for players like Amo-Ameyaw or Dibling to get proper game time in preparation of they're needed for 25/26

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I would imagine Premier League would be too big a leap from U21s, I would anticipate sooner if our players nearest the first team will be landed out for game time in Championship or League One, like Smallbone at Stoke 2 years ago. 

Would make sense for players like Amo-Ameyaw or Dibling to get proper game time in preparation of they're needed for 25/26

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Whilst such an approach makes sense, presumably the club needs to find teams playing Russball, which might be a bit of an issue. I guess any playing time is better than none, but a team playing hoofball or a high press might not be much better than the U21s playing a more familiar style, though we know U21 is not great preparation for big boys football.

• Like 1

Apparently £5m for Wood, can’t complain with that for an England u21 CB.

Have to say I wasn’t impressed in either game, but you’d assume he’s either 1. Not coming in as a starter, or 2. Bumping Stephens down the pile a bit.

THB, Bednarek, ABK, Wood & Stephens

CB room first area to be sorted? Or does ABK go and we get one other?

6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apparently £5m for Wood, can’t complain with that for an England u21 CB.

Have to say I wasn’t impressed in either game, but you’d assume he’s either 1. Not coming in as a starter, or 2. Bumping Stephens down the pile a bit.

THB, Bednarek, ABK, Wood & Stephens

CB room first area to be sorted? Or does ABK go and we get one other?

Please get rid of ABK, he doesn't want to be here, he's a waste of space when he is here,
he clutters up the first aid dept and we need the cash he's soaking up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Or the make up of our Championship team in 2025-6.:suspicious: 

But yes our first XI is nowhere near strong enough right now but we still have 6 weeks or so to sort it.

Wait...6 weeks? :scared:

6 weeks to make a deal but I’m damn sure we will have identified and assessed targets for quite a while. Of course we will not achieve all the targets but we will have option 2 in place.
 Yes I’m getting some of our decisions have seemed weird Lalana for example but that would have been carefully thought through before the decision was taken.

I mean what was a big theme last season ?  RM had players who didn’t want to be here/ had the wrong mindset. That must have been ridiculously difficult to deal with. The team did not hit the ground running at the beginning of last season. RM and the coaching staff won’t want to be fucking around with unsuitable players this time round. 

im getting an exciting vibe that’s not me being happy clappy. We are obviously not 100% guaranteed to stay up next season but it might not be as dismal as some of the usual subjects suggest.

Fairly painless consolidation with a good solid base to progress further the following season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, manji said:

6 weeks to make a deal but I’m damn sure we will have identified and assessed targets for quite a while. Of course we will not achieve all the targets but we will have option 2 in place.
 Yes I’m getting some of our decisions have seemed weird Lalana for example but that would have been carefully thought through before the decision was taken.

I mean what was a big theme last season ?  RM had players who didn’t want to be here/ had the wrong mindset. That must have been ridiculously difficult to deal with. The team did not hit the ground running at the beginning of last season. RM and the coaching staff won’t want to be fucking around with unsuitable players this time round. 

im getting an exciting vibe that’s not me being happy clappy. We are obviously not 100% guaranteed to stay up next season but it might not be as dismal as some of the usual subjects suggest.

Fairly painless consolidation with a good solid base to progress further the following season.

If we sign a first rate keeper I would be more confidant but if McCarthy is number one we will struggle.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

https://fixupx.com/nickmashiter/status/1808130670394277967

"Southampton have bid around £6m for Bournemouth's Max Aarons (which will be rejected if not already). Saints also close to finalising Nathan Wood and Ronnie Edwards deals. More 
@BBCSport"

Close to finalising Wood & Edwards apparently? I promise he's a real source despite the name.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

Posted (edited)

How many fucking Centre halves do we want on the payroll ffs 🤣

Apparently our offer for O’Riley is £10 million short according to Twitter and we are losing two of our young stars Gomez and Miles.

Edited by northam soul

Sticking in the 532 with THB - Bednarek - Edwards as first choice defence, with Stephens and Wood as rotation/back-up.

ABK sold to (hopefully) cover the cost of Edwards and Wood? Sounds like strong business to me.

• Like 2