Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

You reckon Bazunu is worse than Dave Maclaren, Tony Godfrey, Ivan Katalinic, Colin Boulton and others I have dismissed form my memory???

Katalinic was superb 👀

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well one day is for Woods, you'd suggest. Why does a player need 2 days for a medical? I could be being dumb - but I would think that means for 2 players.

Fraser? Downes?

• Like 2

Wood seemed a decent option for a team rebuilding in the Championship. Not sure he is one to rebuild with or rely on in the EPL.

His performance at SMS last season certainly doesn’t bode well, and I don’t recall reading any great reviews on him or links to other clubs last season.

Was hoping for Rodon or Greaves as Championship CB’s, rather than a squad filler. 

5 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

You reckon Bazunu is worse than Dave Maclaren, Tony Godfrey, Ivan Katalinic, Colin Boulton and others I have dismissed form my memory???

Katalinic was a good GK, apart from his goal kicks which were pretty erratic. MOTM at Anfield.

Older relatives spoke highly of Maclaren (despite the Wolves appearance before signing). Boulton was part of the Derby side that won the league before joining us on loan.

On balance, I don’t think Bazunu matches up  ( allowing for changes in the game etc). 

1 hour ago, Saint_Ash said:

It's called standing by his players. Do you expect him to say "nah, Bazunu is shit, don't rate him." 

I get the standing by his players, but what he didn't need to say was that Baz was going to be the best keeper in the league.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well one day is for Woods, you'd suggest. Why does a player need 2 days for a medical? I could be being dumb - but I would think that means for 2 players.

Apparently just him. Unless it's or instead of and.

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Maybe he needs to fulfill a quota of passes before he passes the medical.

Good point. How many sideways passes of 10 yards or less can he make in an hour and a half is the first test. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

So if we buy Woods, that'll probably meen we sell ABK?

Would like to keep him.

ABK has apparently said he wants to leave and that he's progressed "beyond the club". God knows how, he hardly kicked a ball last season. If he doesn't want to play for us he can piss off.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

ABK has apparently said he wants to leave and that he's progressed "beyond the club". God knows how, he hardly kicked a ball last season. If he doesn't want to play for us he can piss off.

If we can get £20Million.. Then cya later.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

If we can get £20Million.. Then cya later.

A loan at best, or £5-10m if we want to sell. Defo won't make a profit on him. An absolutley terrible bit of scouting by the club, once again. No character profile checking done on him prior to signing.

Terrible character around the place in our relegation season apparently. And that's not to mention the guy is made of extra fragile glass, won't ever become anything.

• Like 5

What's the situation with Janny B? Last year of contract? I think he has improved significantly recently and our system suits him much better but perhaps we're looking to cash in if he's reluctant to extend. I don't think we paid much for him so would also help FFP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

A loan at best, or £5-10m if we want to sell. Defo won't make a profit on him. An absolutley terrible bit of scouting by the club, once again. No character profile checking done on him prior to signing.

Terrible character around the place in our relegation season apparently. And that's not to mention the guy is made of extra fragile glass, won't ever become anything.

Yep. I’d rather have Nathan Wood than ABK. In fact I’d rather have a plank of wood than ABK if that’s his attitude.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dank said:

What's the situation with Janny B? Last year of contract? I think he has improved significantly recently and our system suits him much better but perhaps we're looking to cash in if he's reluctant to extend. I don't think we paid much for him so would also help FFP.

Are you sure he hasn't just spent a year playing against shitty strikers rather than getting too tight being turned over and over by PL quality attackers?

• Like 3

Could be a tough summer for losing our double-barrel named players though what with potentially losing KWP, ABK and DCC. Thank heavens for SAA, THB and JO’BW. (Had to Wiki the last one…)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

How do you go from a German WC squad to what he is now ? 

Just now, Badger said:

broken glass wine GIF

There’s no doubting his ability, just seemingly his attitude and definitely his injury history.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Just by having a terrible, terrible attitude and commitment to the game. His injury proneness doesn't help either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just by having a terrible, terrible attitude and commitment to the game. His injury proneness doesn't help either.

Is there any evidence that he has a "terrible, terrible attitude and commitment to the game"?

His injury record, mostly shoulder, has certainly been a problem for him but I must have missed something?!

• Like 1

Nathan Wood is a bit of an odd one for me. He’s an average championship level CB, which we already have a few of. I thought if we were signing a CB it would be someone better, but maybe money is being prioritised elsewhere, we have no idea where we are with PSR / FFP. 

It’s tough as I would imagine in an ideal world we’d be building on last years squad with 3/4 starters, but we seem to be trying to bulk the squad out on the cheap atm and then maybe will add a couple of bigger “transfers” closer to the end of the window. Wood is quick atleast…

My only other concern is this is all very new for Martin, not managed in this league before and if he’s pretty much in charge of recruitment which has been reported, then maybe he’s going with what he knows with Wood, ORiley etc.

Time will tell…

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nathan Wood is a bit of an odd one for me. He’s an average championship level CB, which we already have a few of. I thought if we were signing a CB it would be someone better, but maybe money is being prioritised elsewhere, we have no idea where we are with PSR / FFP. 

It’s tough as I would imagine in an ideal world we’d be building on last years squad with 3/4 starters, but we seem to be trying to bulk the squad out on the cheap atm and then maybe will add a couple of bigger “transfers” closer to the end of the window. Wood is quick atleast…

My only other concern is this is all very new for Martin, not managed in this league before and if he’s pretty much in charge of recruitment which has been reported, then maybe he’s going with what he knows with Wood, ORiley etc.

Time will tell…

As for centre backs it could be we sell Bednarek for instance (based on his having one year contract left) and bring in a first choice, meaning we have THB and *new* as the two and Wood and Stephens to back them up. Just a musing. As it stands it's probable our CB pairing last season remain first choice. Which would be a mild concern.

49 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Yep. I’d rather have Nathan Wood than ABK. In fact I’d rather have a plank of wood than ABK if that’s his attitude.

I would rather have Morning wood .

49 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Time will tell…

Where has that come from ? Not seen anything suggesting that before. 

O’Riley I can understand after he’s had a pretty outstanding season, but an average championship CB is questionable. 

21 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Ben Jacobs has said the fee for Nathan Woods is £5Million

Player trading. SR will make a reasonable profit on this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

Player trading. SR will make a reasonable profit on this.

Yeh, £65m to Chelsea next summer.

Anyone spot a potential flaw in that plan ? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Swansea fans knew he wanted to leave last summer and knew he definitely would this summer so thats probably why they aren't bothered.

I would much rather go down a path like this than another Lyanco or DCC type signing. Manager knows what he gets with Wood, player knows the style of play and its at a price where even if it doesn't work out there is still a big market for him unlike those mentioned above.

No Wood? No problem, just take a little blue pill, I mean, cough, so I’ve been told…..

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

Are you sure he hasn't just spent a year playing against shitty strikers rather than getting too tight being turned over and over by PL quality attackers?

This. He won't be the only player who looked comfortable last season that will be up against it. I'm actually slightly worried that THB's lack of pace might be shown up. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Time will tell…

Him or Ronnie Edward’s just seem a little underwhelming.

Im assuming that he wants one more to go with Stephens, Harwood-Bellis and Bednarek. The latter has one year left on his contract so would be disappointed to lose him given his experience and leadership (Wow, who would’ve said that eighteen months ago)!
I imagine we’ll get one more CB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

"progressed", what a cnt, bye. 

• Like 2

Max Aaron’s potentially as the Walker-Peters replacement I could see happen. Not sure Bournemouth will be selling to rivals for cheap though.

Attacking-wise I think it’ll be a lot of change, probably another winger as well as Ryan Fraser who will obviously sign eventually, at least one striker and a couple of midfielders.

THB, Bednarek, Stephens and Wood will probably be it as Taylor can also play CB, but I'd prefer another first choice. Stephens doesn't make me feel safe, and who knows whether Wood will be good at this level. But as we know RM loves Stephens so we may be stuck with that group unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

THB, Bednarek, Stephens and Wood will probably be it as Taylor can also play CB, but I'd prefer another first choice. Stephens doesn't make me feel safe, and who knows whether Wood will be good at this level. But as we know RM loves Stephens so we may be stuck with that group unfortunately. 

I'm expecting us to need to sign another CB if I'm honest. Bednarek only has 1 more year left on his deal and it wouldn't surprise me if teams come in for him.

• Like 2

Sky: Southampton are keen to add more 'Premier League know-how' to their squad and maintain a core group of the squad as British / English speakers

30 minutes ago, Andrew Watson said:

Back in for Max Aarons according to Mark Macadam, Skys South Coast football man.

Latest from Sky Sports' Lyall Thomas and Mark McAdam:

Southampton have approached Bournemouth for talks over a deal for Max Aarons.

The Saints want to sign Aarons as their new right-back amid uncertainty over the future of Kyle Walker-Peters.

West Ham have held talks for Walker-Peters amid Saints' interest in signing their midfield Flynn Downes. 

But there is also interest in Walker-Peters from Brighton and Tottenham. 

Southampton are looking to strengthen their squad with Premier League know-how after promotion and want to maintain a core group of English players.

They see Aarons, who made 20 Premier League appearances last season, as an ideal addition after the signings of Adam Lallana and Charlie Taylor. 

Other clubs from abroad have also made inquiries with Bournemouth for Aarons. 

Nathan Wood does have a lot of attributes to make it at the PL level - genuinely quick, good distribution and running with the ball. Concentration and marking appear to be flaws which will need to be ironed out and fast. He’s been scouted by Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham. 

For £5m it’s worth a risk. ABK is probably off - was only upper mid-table Championship level signing Sheff Utd/Stoke/Norwich level signing at what £8m or so? He hasn’t gone for the profit SR wanted but probably not a thumping loss like most of their 22/23 Rasmus intake. If Nathan Wood doesn’t have shoulders and hamstrings made of glass and a better attitude than ABK, he can’t be any worse at least. 

Charlie Taylor a good deal, DCR from Fulham and Fraser next. Downes/KWP swap and down to the more serious business if SFC wants to even compete for 17th.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Sky: Southampton are keen to add more 'Premier League know-how' to their squad and maintain a core group of the squad as British / English speakers

Incoming Michail Antonio. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I'm expecting us to need to sign another CB if I'm honest. Bednarek only has 1 more year left on his deal and it wouldn't surprise me if teams come in for him.

Yeah, as we're having to plan for KWP's departure, we could well be doing the same for Bednarek too.

Armstrong and Stephens also going into their final year. It will be interesting if we extend their deals/ they move now or see out their contracts.

Youngsters Meghoma, Bragg, Davis Payne and Edwards also going into their final year.

Lots of natural gaps from departures, end of loans, final contract years and general strengthening. Then they all have to learn RussBall for the PL. Really glad to see the club being on the front foot in getting players in, considering the amount of likely activity.

Customary thanks to Over Land and Sea for the contract details.

• Like 2