Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Guessing we have chosen Wood over Edwards, or at least its been the one thats easier to do.

RM likes going for players he has worked with before so will trust his judgement. Wood has played for Eng U21s of late so clearly seen as a player of high potential and if RM thinks he is a good character too then for £7m or so it seems a worthwhile addition.

Absolutely this. RM will know all about Wood's qualities having worked with him before 👍

10 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Wood is fine as a cheap backup option - young and a known quantity to the Manager (apparently played his best football under Martin). 

i hear he is also hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

That should "stiffen" things up a bit.

Maybe if he's a success and stays for the rest of his career, we can erect a statue of him.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Guessing we have chosen Wood over Edwards, or at least its been the one thats easier to do.

RM likes going for players he has worked with before so will trust his judgement. Wood has played for Eng U21s of late so clearly seen as a player of high potential and if RM thinks he is a good character too then for £7m or so it seems a worthwhile addition.

Maybe. I just think one of the worst signings last year was Manning who Martin knew really well. Swansea fans don't seem bothered at all which is a bit of a worry. 

• Like 5

I think the strategy for this season looks pretty clear. Build a midtable Championship team, finish on 14 points and stay up because three other clubs get stuffed by FFP and finish on -6.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

Maybe if he's a success and stays for the rest of his career, we can erect a statue of him.

shame we never got Johnson too, Johnson and Wood at the back would be Great along side Hardwood-Bellis

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think the strategy for this season looks pretty clear. Build a midtable Championship team, finish on 14 points and stay up because three other clubs get stuffed by FFP and finish on -6.

build now with premier league money for promotion in 2026 👊

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Dusic said:

RM likes going for players he has worked with before so will trust his judgement. 

Really? He rates Bazunu and Manning so I’m not sure I do trust his judgement.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe. I just think one of the worst signings last year was Manning who Martin knew really well. Swansea fans don't seem bothered at all which is a bit of a worry. 

Swansea fans knew he wanted to leave last summer and knew he definitely would this summer so thats probably why they aren't bothered.

I would much rather go down a path like this than another Lyanco or DCC type signing. Manager knows what he gets with Wood, player knows the style of play and its at a price where even if it doesn't work out there is still a big market for him unlike those mentioned above.

• Like 2

Just now, Patches O Houlihan said:

Supporting Smallbone & ideally Longstaff in midfield

:lol: what brilliant polarization in midfield those two would bring. Smallbone and Longstaff. Like Yin and Yang.

• Haha 1

If you look at our CB's, we've got Stephens, THB and Bednarek - THB and Bednarek are the two main ones you'd imagine. Wood is the young signing to add competition.

I'd have preferred Ronnie Edwards, but it's a similar profile in many ways. But I do worry when the team we're grabbing a player off are happy to be rid of them. Jury out if it happens for sure, but he won't be a starter.

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Our 25/26 promotion chasing team is going to be great.

Every signing we make this summer I will think this! I think with Taylor and Manning at left back we're probably covered in that position for the next promotion push should the worst happen next season.

46 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Seems there are question marks over his stamina, cos I hear he has a tendency to be pulled off by the manager.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Seems there are question marks over his stamina, cos I hear he has a tendency to be pulled off by the manager.

He doesn't pull out of challenges because he isn't a pussy.

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I wonder if we'll announce any other out of contract players we've been linked with as signing today... Ghoddos perhaps?

Charlie Taylor LB from Burnley has signed - source = email from SFC

Had a browse of a Burnley forum and have seen that an awful lot of their fans didn't want to sign Harwood bellis because they considered him to be too slow. I have to say I can't remember any point last season where I thought THB lacked pace? I wonder if he was any different during his time there. 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thought THB basically got done straight after the playoffs final. I'm guessing it's being announced now because it's officially seen as "the next season" on the 1st July.

Although we were contractually obliged to buy him, the transfer of ownership was always going to happen on July 1st so that it would be in the next financial year. So the move was `completed' today, as opposed to us just announcing it in the first day of the `new season' as you put it.

• Like 1

I was intrigued by what our transfer strategy was going to be this summer, as always. No doubt Martin had a big influence on transfers last summer with him having managed Manning and Downes previously, Fraser being a former teammate and apparently he tried to sign Stewart at MK Dons, also got the Scottish link. Worked at Championship level and we also clearly targeted British players with no one joining from overseas.

Now, at Premier League level, it doesn't look as glamorous. Wood's a bit of a worry for me in that he didn't standout for the right reasons at the level below. The Premier League is ruthless and won't allow for him to learn on the job.

But, we have also thrown a lot of money on foreign flops in recent years, especially in the CB position. ABK, DCC, Lyanco, Hoedt and Vestergaard to name but a few. You would at least hope Wood has the mentality to make up for a possible lack of talent with a bit of graft and fight, which the former five didn't have as when the going got tough a lot of the time they went missing and into hiding and they were meant to be our back line.

Now, ideally we would have a good recruitment team, but who knows with that anymore. At the very least you'd hope we have a more focussed plan this summer than Joe Shields' scattergun mess, which he has continued at Chelsea.

Up the Brexit Saints?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Swansea fans knew he wanted to leave last summer and knew he definitely would this summer so thats probably why they aren't bothered.

I would much rather go down a path like this than another Lyanco or DCC type signing. Manager knows what he gets with Wood, player knows the style of play and its at a price where even if it doesn't work out there is still a big market for him unlike those mentioned above.

Obligatory You Tubes - been scouted by some big clubs. Has the pace of a full back but build of a CB. Had a bit of a shocker at SMS in Swansea’s 5-0 loss, including a horror mistake for our second. So concentration might be an issue to address. Widely described as a player with a ‘high ceiling’ but may need a move to unlock the potential.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

Really? He rates Bazunu and Manning so I’m not sure I do trust his judgement.

He didn't work with Bazunu previously, and for your Manning I'll raise you Downes.

Doesn't surprise me that we are back in for Wood. I think it was only the asking price and our limited available funds that prevented it happening last summer. Hope he is better than Manning. Wonder if we will continue to play three CBs?  If not, we now have five. Is that not one too many?

25 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Charlie Taylor LB from Burnley has signed - source = email from SFC

*other - as in as well as Taylor. 😀

5 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

If Roden (20mil) wants PL, we have interest in him, we can use Alcaraz (30mil) as a swap, TOT very interested in him. Throw in Ryan Sessegnon (10mil), for our Argie and call it a done deal, no monies transferred. Heck, we could double the figures and still not transfer any monies, but book huge profit.

Surpised if we don't use this swap cheat that other teams are using to get infalted fees on the books with very little monies actally being transferred.

KWP, proven PL, mature 27, can play both sides, should be worth a "cheat swap" for young developing Downes and a free Ben Johnson? 

Why in hell would we throw in £10M for a player that is no longer on Tottenhams books? The last thing anyone needs to give levy is charity. 

24 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He didn't work with Bazunu previously, and for your Manning I'll raise you Downes.

His judgement is poor in the fact he rates Bazunu, nothing to do with whether he worked with him previously or not .

• Like 1

Just now, Oldandtired said:

His judgement is poor in the fact he rates Bazunu, nothing to do with whether he worked with him previously or not .

It's called standing by his players. Do you expect him to say "nah, Bazunu is shit, don't rate him." 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Obligatory You Tubes - been scouted by some big clubs. Has the pace of a full back but build of a CB. Had a bit of a shocker at SMS in Swansea’s 5-0 loss, including a horror mistake for our second. So concentration might be an issue to address. Widely described as a player with a ‘high ceiling’ but may need a move to unlock the potential.

What on earth is that song?! Probably the worst vocals I've ever heard, truly awful. Hopefully the player is better than the music! 🤣

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

It's called standing by his players. Do you expect him to say "nah, Bazunu is shit, don't rate him." 

No, but I don't expect him to keep playing him game after game when he patently is not good enough. 
I've seen various gks come and go since the days of Bob Charles, and in terms of shot stopping, dealing with crosses etc. GB has to be up there with the worst we've ever had.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Oldandtired said:

No, but I don't expect him to keep playing him game after game when he patently is not good enough. 
I've seen various gks come and go since the days of Bob Charles, and in terms of shot stopping, dealing with crosses etc. GB has to be up there with the worst we've ever had.

He played 90% of the season and we got promoted. He was good enough, you’re going to have to let it go.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Had a browse of a Burnley forum and have seen that an awful lot of their fans didn't want to sign Harwood bellis because they considered him to be too slow. I have to say I can't remember any point last season where I thought THB lacked pace? I wonder if he was any different during his time there. 

There were a couple of occasions where he was too close got turned and didn’t recover last season. Not often but a couple of times. 

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

There were a couple of occasions where he was too close got turned and didn’t recover last season. Not often but a couple of times. 

Maybe so but I don't think lack of pace was a real feature of his game. He's not vestergaard. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe so but I don't think lack of pace was a real feature of his game. He's not vestergaard. 

Ok just pointing out what I witnessed. He’ll be up against a lot of pace in the PL. so I hope you are right and my observations were more to do with being to tight.

34 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Strongly disagree, aside from Shilton, flowers, niemi, most of our gks have been of a similar standard, including GB.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, pingpong said:

Strongly disagree, aside from Shilton, flowers, niemi, most of our gks have been of a similar standard, including GB.

Pingpong - you’re not seriously suggesting that Bazunu is of a “similar standard” to Shilton and Niemi in particular? 

• Like 1

Except that was the argument you responded to. Have you thought of politics as a career?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Interesting.. any ideas who?

Well one day is for Woods, you'd suggest. Why does a player need 2 days for a medical? I could be being dumb - but I would think that means for 2 players.

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well one day is for Woods, you'd suggest. Why does a player need 2 days for a medical? I could be being dumb - but I would think that means for 2 players.

That was my thoughts.

• Like 1

You reckon Bazunu is worse than Dave Maclaren, Tony Godfrey, Ivan Katalinic, Colin Boulton and others I have dismissed form my memory???