Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Very much hope we aren't risking this O'Riley deal by starting so low considering his valuation, a la many transfers over the years. And given our history of buying low from Celtic. Surely we can afford £30m?

Name three transfers we started low and missed out on? (Legitimately, not SaintsWeb rumours) 😂

11 hours ago, LeG said:

All the clubs with FFP issues are buying players off each other for inflated prices so they can bank the sales in this financial year and amortise the transfer fees for the player coming in.

That's exactly right, the Premier league left themselves open to loopholes that accountants are using. 

AMF 

At the prices we're likely to be paying, pretty much all striker signings will be a gamble whether it be Broja or Delap. Ings has some proven pedigree but is knocking on a bit and has limited success in recent seasons. Would we rather sign a foreign striker who has been banging them in? Well Onuachu scored 85 goals in 2 and a half seasons before joining us and that didn't work either. Personally I think Onuachu could have worked in a different system or with someone that believed him but it didn't. 

Broja has proved very little (although he's obviously got something about him), Delap has proved very little and Ings is probably past it. Personally I'd rather take a punt on someone like Miovski who has been banging them in for Aberdeen for the last couple of seasons as he is both proven to be a goalscorer and at a good age and price.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Name three transfers we started low and missed out on? (Legitimately, not SaintsWeb rumours) 😂

Nathan Tella. Oh wait, that was Burnley. 😀

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't say £20-25m is going low ball, if the eventual value is £30m. You'd be a terrible negotiator. 

''Sir, the value of the item is £50. What can you offer''  

''I bid £200''

spacer.png

• Haha 5

Why all the talk about Broja? He had a few good games for us then attitude completely changed as soon as we were taken over by a Serbian. No way will he be coming back (and from what I've seen since he left he's no improvement on what we already have anyway)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Why all the talk about Broja? He had a few good games for us then attitude completely changed as soon as we were taken over by a Serbian. No way will he be coming back (and from what I've seen since he left he's no improvement on what we already have anyway)

What an odd thing to say. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

If we can’t find a proven striker, RM should find a system that will work out with Onuachu. We have been without a decent striker for two seasons. 

Reports suggest he wants out. Let him go, alongside any player that doesn’t want to be here.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Certainly his form fell off and he often disappeared in games, whether it was because of the change of ownership, who can  tell? But he has done absolutely nothing since he left us

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We may not have missed out on him, but if we had bid enough to begin with we might have saved a lot of time and internet pages on Rudi Skacel

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Roden not coming to us. Part of deal for Archie Gray going from Leeds to Spurs. Leeds fans must be livid

believe me they are. Rumour has it Archie Gray wanted to stay for another season but Leeds are forcing him to move. I'll find out a bit more this evening..

22 minutes ago, DT said:

Roden not coming to us. Part of deal for Archie Gray going from Leeds to Spurs. Leeds fans must be livid

Surprised about Rodon as he'd be back in the Championship for another long, hard slog but maybe he's just happy at Leeds and TBF they're probably going up next season. I thought Gray was going to Brentford but obviously Spurs are a bigger club.

I would have liked Rodon , tall, good age, had a great season at Leeds but hopefully the club will have other players in their sights.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

believe me they are. Rumour has it Archie Gray wanted to stay for another season but Leeds are forcing him to move. I'll find out a bit more this evening..

Blimey. Must be hard to take as he was their big 'one of our owns'. 25 mill i think. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cljyrz785klo

https://talksport.com/football/1942798/archie-gray-leeds-medical-tottenham/

Edited by DT

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, DT said:

Roden wanted to go to Leeds. We and other clubs interested. Gray is the swap deal they can use for the FFP cheat code.

If Roden (20mil) wants PL, we have interest in him, we can use Alcaraz (30mil) as a swap, TOT very interested in him. Throw in Ryan Sessegnon (10mil), for our Argie and call it a done deal, no monies transferred. Heck, we could double the figures and still not transfer any monies, but book huge profit.

Surpised if we don't use this swap cheat that other teams are using to get infalted fees on the books with very little monies actally being transferred.

KWP, proven PL, mature 27, can play both sides, should be worth a "cheat swap" for young developing Downes and a free Ben Johnson? 

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

46 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Archie Gray for £40M.  Really?  I have seen bits of him but not huge amounts, is he worth that or is it another skeptical huge PL fee?

Rodon for £10M sounds about right. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Roden wanted to go to Leeds. We and other clubs interested. Gray is the swap deal they can use for the FFP cheat code.

If Roden (20mil) wants PL, we have interest in him, we can use Alcaraz (30mil) as a swap, TOT very interested in him. Throw in Ryan Sessegnon (10mil), for our Argie and call it a done deal, no monies transferred. Heck, we could double the figures and still not transfer any monies, but book huge profit.

Surpised if we don't use this swap cheat that other teams are using to get infalted fees on the books with very little monies actally being transferred.

KWP, proven PL, mature 27, can play both sides, should be worth a "cheat swap" for young developing Downes and a free Ben Johnson? 

Pretty sure Sessegnon got released by Spurs? Also Johnson has left West Ham as out of contract.

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Pretty sure Sessegnon got released by Spurs? Also Johnson has left West Ham as out of contract.

This, and Sessegnon is probably joining Palace and Johnson is expected to join Ipswich.

27 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Archie Gray for £40M.  Really?  I have seen bits of him but not huge amounts, is he worth that or is it another skeptical huge PL fee?

Curious too as what i saw in the playoff final looked decidedly average. Was that just a complete aberration?

13 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Curious too as what i saw in the playoff final looked decidedly average. Was that just a complete aberration?

His natural position is central midfielder but Leeds's other right backs didn't cop it last season so he played there for most of the season. Spurs are undoubtedly buying him for his potential though, pundits etc seem to love him and think he's going on to big things.

2 minutes ago, mikee said:

Not sure about Ipswich's new kit!

It looks like he's standing outside the club's shop shutters waiting for it to open so he can get a shirt.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

it's a massive fee so a big risk but there is a lot of hype about him as a player up here. Plus theres the fact his dad, grandad and uncle all played for Leeds and he's local boy. To me he's far from the finished article yet but he's got a lot of potential and has all the attributes to be a top player. There is also the big fear that Archie has made a lot of noise about playing for Leeds with his younger brother Harry, who is 15 and supposedly an even better prospect, Liverpool and Man City have been sniffing around him so they're worried if he goes then Harry will go too. Yes they're really not happy about it as supposedly he doesn't want leave but the club are making him due to the money they've got offered. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Wages an issue - wonder how much we're paying McCarthy!

Seems strange to me - get the impression most transfers these days are normally done through intermediaries and that wage demands are generally known before a club submits a bid.  Maybe we're at the haggling stage with the agent before bidding.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, saintant said:

Wages an issue - wonder how much we're paying McCarthy!

Wonder how much Celtic are paying him would be a more relevant question ! 

Not saying we are a bigger club obviously cos we aren't but wage structure wise I would have thought Scottish Prem/English Prem is a huge gulf.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Wonder how much Celtic are paying him would be a more relevant question ! 

Not saying we are a bigger club obviously cos we aren't but wage structure wise I would have thought Scottish Prem/English Prem is a huge gulf.

my sources tell me he's on about £14k a week, Celtics top earner is on £37k a week so i'd have thought we could reach a deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JRM said:

That's exactly right, the Premier league left themselves open to loopholes that accountants are using. 

AMF 

We should join the party, not sit and gripe about others. Who've we got, who do we want?

• Like 1

Thought THB basically got done straight after the playoffs final. I'm guessing it's being announced now because it's officially seen as "the next season" on the 1st July.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Bid apparently rejected for O'Riley.

Can't post the twitter link or any link as there isn't one, oh no!

To be expected - just as long as our next bid isn't completely insulting like £20 million and 1 pence.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hope not. That would be crap. 

Swansea fans keen to get rid of him. I am slightly concerned we seem to be after players who aren't necessarily good enough to start (bar O'Riley) What's the point in bloating the squad with back up players?

Edited by Harry_SFC

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

One of those self proclaimed transfer insiders on Twitter is saying we're close to signing Wood from Swansea.

Could be lazy journalism based off our bids for him this season.

Or... equally we offered £10m last season, which was rejected, now he's into the last year of his contract and only 22. He could be a decent 4th/5th choice CB for £5m

He'll also have played with THB in the England U21 setup

Edited by Saint Scott

33 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thought THB basically got done straight after the playoffs final. I'm guessing it's being announced now because it's officially seen as "the next season" on the 1st July.

I said about this before. Although everything was in place for the transfer it still isn't official until a contract is signed and the registration transferred. Transfer could not be done until 15th, and contract at Citeh would have run till end June. It was always possible that one or other teams could renege on the deal and it could have fallen through (albeit with probable legal consequences) so extremely glad to hear that it is all now signed and sealed. THB is an extremely important player for us, alongside hopefully Downes. Fully expect him to be in England squads once Southgate goes or even if he stays, hopefully that won't turn his head like has happened with others. Future Saints captain material, though he'll have to wait on Jack.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Could be lazy journalism based off our bids for him this season.

Or... equally we offered £10m last season, which was rejected, now he's into the last year of his contract and only 22. He could be a decent 4th/5th choice CB for £5m

£7 million and add ons mooted.

He's only just turned 22, 6'2 and supposedly quick so on paper this looks like a smart signing for the long term, even if he isn't that good yet. As a back up option I think it would be OK?

Edited by SNSUN

17 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I said about this before. Although everything was in place for the transfer it still isn't official until a contract is signed and the registration transferred. Transfer could not be done until 15th, and contract at Citeh would have run till end June. It was always possible that one or other teams could renege on the deal and it could have fallen through (albeit with probable legal consequences) so extremely glad to hear that it is all now signed and sealed. THB is an extremely important player for us, alongside hopefully Downes. Fully expect him to be in England squads once Southgate goes or even if he stays, hopefully that won't turn his head like has happened with others. Future Saints captain material, though he'll have to wait on Jack.

Simpler than that - our loan contract ran out yesterday, so the new contract (and the transfer of registration) took place today. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

One of those self proclaimed transfer insiders on Twitter is saying we're close to signing Wood from Swansea.

That should "stiffen" things up a bit.

• Haha 1

Guessing we have chosen Wood over Edwards, or at least its been the one thats easier to do.

RM likes going for players he has worked with before so will trust his judgement. Wood has played for Eng U21s of late so clearly seen as a player of high potential and if RM thinks he is a good character too then for £7m or so it seems a worthwhile addition.

• Like 1