Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, egg said:

No contest - Broja.

Delap has proved that he can't do it in the championship. Broja has proved that he in do it in the PL. 

I can't fathom anyone saying that they'd take Delap out of the two. Delap cannot have done anything to persuade them that he's the man.

Because Broja is about three times the price. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

The question was which of the 2 players we'd prefer. I prefer Broja. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

The question was which of the 2 players we'd prefer. I prefer Broja. 

I wouldn't want either of them, Broja is a busted flush and Delap hasn't proved himself anywhere. We can do better

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In that case I'd rather have neymar. 

Simple question - which of 2 x players would you prefer. It's a binary question. Who offers the best value is a different question. If it is, it doesn't matter how cheap Delap is, he's not even a proven championship player. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think in todays market Delap is probably in the £15m Shea Charles ballpark and Chelsea wouldn’t turn down £25m for Broja, despite what their agent’s mum’s dog’s vet’s gynaecologist might have leaked to journalists on Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think in todays market Delap is probably in the £15m Shea Charles ballpark and Chelsea wouldn’t turn down £25m for Broja, despite what their agent’s mum’s dog’s vet’s gynaecologist might have leaked to journalists on Twitter.

If it’s £15m for Delap or £25m for Broja then it has to be Broja.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leicester buying a Chelsea teenager who’s played no more than five matches for £30M.

Sorry but this is absolute madness.

FFP is fucked.

Just on the other angle to this, why the fuck are Chelsea buying Kerion Dewsbury-Hall for £35m? Like, what sort of magical scouting recipe have they conducted to conclude he is the missing peice in attacking midfield when they already have Palmer, Mudryk, Gallagher, Lavia, Casadi, Chuckwumbka, Caidedo, Enzo who can all operate in that 8 or number 10 attacking midfield role.

They are doing my nut in. There is no strategy there whatsoever.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just on the other angle to this, why the fuck are Chelsea buying Kerion Dewsbury-Hall for £35m? Like, what sort of magical scouting recipe have they conducted to conclude he is the missing peice in attacking midfield when they already have Palmer, Mudryk, Gallagher, Lavia, Casadi, Chuckwumbka, Caidedo, Enzo who can all operate in that 8 or number 10 attacking midfield role.

Their wage bill must be fucking ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I believe they're open to offers for Gallagher and Casadei... something to do with PSR and selling your home grown talents because that's like making free money or something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The 3 Chelsea deals with Villa and Leicester are all weird. One unproven player sold by Chelsea for £35m, and  an unproven kid and a bloke they don't need signed for £54m. Mental business all round. 

• Like 1

Newcastle are also selling two of their youngsters for 70 million, Anderson to Forest and Minteh to Brighton. That's outrageous money for Newcastle for a youngster that has never played for them and a youngster that had never really done much.

13 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Newcastle are also selling two of their youngsters for 70 million, Anderson to Forest and Minteh to Brighton. That's outrageous money for Newcastle for a youngster that has never played for them and a youngster that had never really done much.

How are Forest affording that?

The whole thing just absolutely stinks, Premier League is a farce.

• Like 4

Broja has proven he isn't good enough for the PL. Delap did pretty well in the Championship and is unproven in the Prem. If the prices were the same I *may* take Broja, but as soon as he becomes more expensive I take Delap. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Teams like Forest and Everton who have been in financial poop in the last year or two - both splashing the cash on players. Its almost as if they think the points deductions are worth it as long as you strengthen your squad. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Why are we comparing Delap or Broja. Are we actually in for either ? 

Can't see us having £25m+ for a striker.  Delap loan-with-option seems more realistic cash-wise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

The Premier league deciding the Brennan Johnstone deal fell into this financial year will have helped. 

11 hours ago, Greedyfly said:

Could you please elaborate?  Because my thoughts are that we don't have a decent CB pairing. I have never felt Bednarek was prem quality, and I don't think Stephens is Championship quality let alone a worthy backup. 

Midfield creativity is also an issue for me. Where do you think it's coming from? 

Genuine questions, not argument baiting.

Getting in a couple of new players probably 🙄 O'Riley being the obvious one. 

• Like 1

We've supposedly made an offer for Sao Paulo left back Welington.

Wonder if this is in addition to Charlie Taylor. Maybe the end of Manning? 

Edited by Harry_SFC

44 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Broja has proven he isn't good enough for the PL. Delap did pretty well in the Championship and is unproven in the Prem. If the prices were the same I *may* take Broja, but as soon as he becomes more expensive I take Delap. 

Lots of young players take time to adjust to the PL but I live near where he comes from in Slough and so many people from the local area say he is the real deal  as well as a few Chelsea fans

Some have said he is the best young player they have ever seen so lets see what happens 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, James said:

If it’s £15m for Delap or £25m for Broja then it has to be Broja.

Broja is fooked mate. Bad injury, loss of confidence and form, and struggled at both chelsea and Fulham.

Conversely £!5M for delap is us singing one for the future - and that kid is certainly on course to make the step up based on attributes and his actual performances - he is exactly the kind of player we should be getting in as a back up striker now, and one that will flourish into a good first team player over the next couple of seasons. Doesn't change the fact that what we need is a starting no.9 though - but anyone saying £25M for the post ACL Broja (who is a shadow of the player we briefly had at saints) is off their rocker imo - Saints don't have that kind of money to waste - let alone on a player who (even at his peak for us) shouldn't be the main man relied on to keep the current team up  - and that is when he was fit.

Signing Broja is us wasting £25M (at that price), would be mental. He's not up to the required standard at all.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

6 goals in 2 seasons is the only stat I’m interested in.

Broja has 3 goals in all competitions since the start of the 22/23 season.

Delap scored 8 last season for Hull.

Edited by Saint86

All the clubs with FFP issues are buying players off each other for inflated prices so they can bank the sales in this financial year and amortise the transfer fees for the player coming in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Daily Record - exclusive: Celtic braced for Matt O'Riley transfer bid that could smash record fee, as Southampton prepare £20m offer with incentives

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-braced-matt-oriley-transfer-33139316

Southampton are ready to make a £20million summer bid for Celtic midfield star Matt O’Riley.

The English Premier League new boys are set to make the huge bid, with future add-ons included that would potentially take the deal past Celtic’s record sales in the region of £25m for Kieran Tierney and Jota. The Parkhead outfit would stand to get the further payments if Southampton were to remain in the top flight, and depending on future successes for the club and O’Riley.

Saints boss Russell Martin is a big fan of the midfielder, having worked with him at MK Dons. Since then, O’Riley has moved north and blossomed into one of Celtic’s key players. Southampton won’t pay over the odds because of financial fair play constraints as Martin looks to build a squad that will make them competitive in the English Premiership. The Danish international was a stand-out for the Hoops as they lifted the double last season.

He signed a new deal in October and has already attracted some major interest. Spanish giants Atletico Madrid made a move in January but the loan-to-buy deal was turned down. Italian side Inter have also been long-term admirers and there are a number of other clubs who are watching his situation closely.

O’Riley was disappointed to miss out on the Denmark squad for Euro 2024, which they exited at the weekend after losing 2-0 to hosts Germany.

I don't think there's actually any credible links between us and Delap, but if we were to hypothetically sign him, the only way we should be signing him is on loan. We've thrown away too much money on the Manchester City academy and can't keep throwing money down on "potential". Would be stupid from the club to spend a good amount of money on a player we wouldn't have taken any notice of if he wasn't connected to Manchester City and wasn't a relation of one of our former players.

Loan spots are also a premium in the Premier League, so even that may be wasted on Delap. Even his record in the England youth set up above Under-17 level is pretty mediocre.

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I don't think there's actually any credible links between us and Delap, but if we were to hypothetically sign him, the only way we should be signing him is on loan. We've thrown away too much money on the Manchester City academy and can't keep throwing money down on "potential". Would be stupid from the club to spend a good amount of money on a player we wouldn't have taken any notice of if he wasn't connected to Manchester City and wasn't a relation of one of our former players.

Loan spots are also a premium in the Premier League, so even that may be wasted on Delap. Even his record in the England youth set up above Under-17 level is pretty mediocre.

I'd personally say we're fairly break even on Man City signings. Lavia was a huge profit and great Signing. THB was a very astute acquisition and one that will turn a profit. Edozie will come good. Bazunu is a bit uncertain now. Shea Charles i'm not sure over, and Larios has just been bitterly unlucky with bad injury problems.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, manji said:

Getting in a couple of new players probably 🙄 O'Riley being the obvious one. 

This is the issue with trying to act clever without having all the context (insert sarcastic rolley eye thing here).

I asked, in lieu of actual signings, who in our midfield currently provides enough creativity noting that so far (at the point I made the comment) we had signed Lallana and our targets didn't really set the world heart/were old as fuck and hadn't been good for years.  

Besides, I wasn't even addressing you.

7 hours ago, Obstacle1 said:

He looked at sea a lot in his last premier league outing, though who knows if that's also to do with coaching and style of play. Ideally I'd rather he was our third choice centre back though and we had an upgrade to partner THB

This.

This is my opinion of him, third choice, fine but never as a first choice option.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, now it's July 1 that means Stuart Armstrong and Ché Adams are now officially no longer Saints players and are on the free agent market. Meanwhile. Taylor Harwood-Bellis is now officially contract to Saints, as is Adam Lallana

Edited by CSA96

6 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

What a coup this would be!

We obviously feel there's a very good chance we can get him. I think there will be interest from elsewhere but hopefully we can get this done.

7 hours ago, CSA96 said:

So, now it's July 1 that means Stuart Armstrong and Ché Adams are now officially no longer Saints players and are on the free agent market. Meanwhile. Taylor Harwood-Bellis is now officially contract to Saints, as is Adam Lallana

there will be some exciting announcements over the next few days, that it a guarantee. Strap in July and August are going to be VERY interesting.

• Haha 1

I have watched a fair few Celtic games last season and i have to say Matt O'Riley really stood out for me. O'Riley and the lad Clarke from Sunderland were the 2 players at the end of the season I really hoped we might go for.

• Like 5

Broja is very overrated. Simple as that.

Still find it baffling people that think he was some kind of phenomenon when he was here despite scoring maybe six or seven goals during a mid season purple patch.

Che Adams did it once but it doesn’t make him a £30M player. 😂

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I have watched a fair few Celtic games last season and i have to say Matt O'Riley really stood out for me. O'Riley and the lad Clarke from Sunderland were the 2 players at the end of the season I really hoped we might go for.

Mate who follows Hibs says O'Riley the standout player in SPL

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

there will be some exciting announcements over the next few days, that it a guarantee. Strap in July and August are going to be VERY interesting.

I read that as 'strap on' and got worried.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very much hope we aren't risking this O'Riley deal by starting so low considering his valuation, a la many transfers over the years. And given our history of buying low from Celtic. Surely we can afford £30m?

If it happens, I think we're planning for O'Riley to be our statement signing of the window. He would be an excellent addition to our midfield, a pretty substantial upgrade to Smallbone in that position.

We identified him last summer, somewhat unrealistically I'll add...but his contract was running down at that point and he wasn't off the back of the season he's just had.

Martin and O'Riley are pretty close, can imagine there have been chats in the background over a period of time. If we can give Celtic what they want then he'll be ours.

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I'd personally say we're fairly break even on Man City signings. Lavia was a huge profit and great Signing. THB was a very astute acquisition and one that will turn a profit. Edozie will come good. Bazunu is a bit uncertain now. Shea Charles i'm not sure over, and Larios has just been bitterly unlucky with bad injury problems.

Where does Angus Gunn appear in the equation?!

1 minute ago, DT said:

Very much hope we aren't risking this O'Riley deal by starting so low considering his valuation, a la many transfers over the years. And given our history of buying low from Celtic. Surely we can afford £30m?

I wouldn't say £20-25m is going low ball, if the eventual value is £30m. You'd be a terrible negotiator. 

''Sir, the value of the item is £50. What can you offer''  

''I bid £200''

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Broja has 3 goals in all competitions since the start of the 22/23 season.

Delap scored 8 last season for Hull.

Someone said 6 goals previously, might be league goals.  
I wouldn’t sign Broja either.