Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

It is a lot but it's almost a guaranteed profit for them when, eventually, they sell him to a big club. Pundits have raved about him all season but I heard it the most during the play off final. He has a lot of experience under his belt for an 18 year old. The sad thing is it helps Leeds out financially! 😁

Yeah its a great deal for Brentford if they manage to pull it off. Good player who is only likely to increase in value.

Certainly a better use of £35m than Sulemana and Onuachu.

With Brighton signing Minteh for upwards of £30m too it shows that even potential starts with a 3 these days. 

Our record fee is probably the smallest in the league by a decent distance now, Ipswich aside.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

tell us all about him Dave, what sort of midfielder is he? what are his strengths? How do you feel he will dovetail with Downes? 

Heralded as the “ new Stuart Armstrong “ younger of course with similar attributes , scores some cracking goals and is only going to get better. Danish fans were furious when he was left out of the squad.

i watched him a lot last season. Perfect Saints player IMO and will no doubt heard a lot about us from Stuey.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Had good success with our Scottish transfers on the whole and he's had an excellent season statistically. We were also linked with him previously iirc so he seems like a long term first choice target.

I'll be watching Germany vs Denmark tonight so interested to see how he gets on.

He was left out of the Danish squad caused great discontent amongst the Danish fans

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

It is a lot but it's almost a guaranteed profit for them when, eventually, they sell him to a big club. Pundits have raved about him all season but I heard it the most during the play off final. He has a lot of experience under his belt for an 18 year old. The sad thing is it helps Leeds out financially! 😁

Leeds forum is an amusing read losing him to Brentford. If we could steal Summerville that would be amusing, give them Sulemana on loan for the season as a sweetener. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Leeds forum is an amusing read losing him to Brentford. If we could steal Summerville that would be amusing, give them Sulemana on loan for the season as a sweetener. 

Strange move for him I’d think he could do better. It’s also a huge fee someone who’s not really achieved much either. If he keeps going as he is he’s going to be a very good player. But a crazy fee

10 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

What, like a horrible monster with 8 limbs, 2 heads and roaring in pain having been in the rolling accident? Not so keen now. 🙂

Great hair though.

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He's like Steven Davis and Stuey Armstrong rolled into 1.

So, what, like 70 yers old? That’s a significant departure from our recent transfer strategy?

• Haha 1

Given that every other Premiwr League club is selling their teenagers for £10-20M surely that means that with immediate effect Tyler Dibling, Jayden Meghoma etc are worth around that ball park figure?

Absolutely mental all these young “talents” being signed for stupid money purely to balance each others books for FFP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

do Leeds fans think £35m is what he is worth? I thought he was a player we should look at, but wasn't sure he was `sure thing' (success in the prem) type signing. 

Summerville would be great, but the cost of players is astronomical.

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I watch a lot of Korean football and this guy is class, he is going to cook in the premier league 🧑‍🍳🍳🇰🇷

Looks a player with noodles of class.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I watch a lot of Korean football and this guy is class, he is going to cook in the premier league 🧑‍🍳🍳🇰🇷

Only played 18 games and scored 4. has 3 in 4 for Korean u23’s too.

• Like 1

"Despite his stature, Lee is deceptively mobile and is quite happy to drop deep or into wider space to play his part in the build-up..."

He looks a unit rather than gangly Peter Crouch type.

i.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Mate I'll take your word for it, I'm only following the North Korean league

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Mate I'll take your word for it, I'm only following the North Korean league

Have spent massive amounts on their defence;   possess an impressive strike force, and dictate play by denying territory to their opposition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can see maybe one or two foreign lads coming in; however you can already tell by Russell Martin what kind of signings are in the forefront of his mind. 

Given reports that he’s heavily involved with recruitment and targets this summer I’d be very surprised if he’s been looking at the Korean leagues or Japanese leagues.

I think most of our signings will be largely British with strong Championship or Premier League experience with low transfer fees.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

So we take Broja or Delap? Who is better and less risky? 

I'm going to buck the trend and go with Delap.  He's cheaper for one thing - latest report had City wanting 10M and Chelsea still want around 30M for Broja.  Then there's the injury concerns around Broja and whether he's still the player he once was.

Mainly though I think Delap will probably suit us better.  If we're playing with a back 5 then we'll need someone able to hold the ball up, play with his back to goal etc  - one of the problems we had when we switched to a back 5 was A Armstrong couldn't hold it up and bring others into play.  Delap is a big old unit and looks like he can do that role - he's also capable of turning his man and he's got a decent turn of pace.  Broja has (or at least had) the pace but I think he's more the kind of player that plays off the shoulder etc.

I thought Broja was great for us but he did go off the boil, has had a really bad injury and hasn't got back into form so his price would need to come way down before I'd take a chance on him.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I can see maybe one or two foreign lads coming in; however you can already tell by Russell Martin what kind of signings are in the forefront of his mind. 

Given reports that he’s heavily involved with recruitment and targets this summer I’d be very surprised if he’s been looking at the Korean leagues or Japanese leagues.

I think most of our signings will be largely British with strong Championship or Premier League experience with low transfer fees.

Disagree completely. The Sport Republic Network of scouts serves all three teams and if you see where Valenciennes and Göztepe have been getting their players it's not such a stretch to think we'll get players who are still to peak for South Korea, similar to how he had 5 Jamaica players for Swansea.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

So we take Broja or Delap? Who is better and less risky? 

.....not part of the equation perhaps, but Liam Delap was actually born in Hampshire... (Winchester) to be precise

during the time that his Dad (Rory) was on Saints' books in the period after the Millennium. 

Difficult to judge Liam's quality, as he didn't get a full season at Hull ..(in part an injury set back)...but I was 

distinctly unimpressed  by Broja's brief appearance for Albania in the Euros.  Not even as a good as his earlier spell with us.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Wikipedia'ya göre 6'4”. Güney Koreli Peter Crouch.

Ama çalışma izni sorun olmaz mı? 

Maybe he might come to us on loan, it's just a guess, there are rumors that 2-3 young loan players might come to us on loan.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 17:00, The Left Back said:

As I said, I realise I'm swimming against the tide.  You've mixed in some stuff I agree with and some stuff we part company on.  I've highlighted the latter.

I meant that the last four games, two v Leeds and two v West Brom, after the massive disappointment of missing out on auto-promotion, we actually looked relatively comfortable and by far the better side

Could you please elaborate?  Because my thoughts are that we don't have a decent CB pairing. I have never felt Bednarek was prem quality, and I don't think Stephens is Championship quality let alone a worthy backup. 

Midfield creativity is also an issue for me. Where do you think it's coming from? 

Genuine questions, not argument baiting.

• Like 1

I'd steer clear of Broja. Hasn't impressed at all since his spell with us and even then he tailed off badly after March when the going got tough. Add in the ACL injury and his price tag, it's a no from me. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

Could you please elaborate?  Because my thoughts are that we don't have a decent CB pairing. I have never felt Bednarek was prem quality, and I don't think Stephens is Championship quality let alone a worthy backup. 

Midfield creativity is also an issue for me. Where do you think it's coming from? 

Genuine questions, not argument baiting.

I think Bednarek has improved a lot since those early years in the Prem. and I’m hoping THB will be as good as the potential he’s shown. I’m not as down on Stephens than you but agree he’s probably not good enough to start in a back 4. But he’s good for the squad and will get plenty of minutes, especially if/when we play 3 at the back.

i agree with you re creativity as Stuey going leaves a hole that no one else fills.  Lallana is the nearest but I'm not sure if that is going to work (I wouldn’t have signed him). We may well end up sacrificing some creativity for solidity in midfield and rely on wide players to be the source of chances (wing backs or wide forwards in 433).

at the end of the day I’d be delighted if we signed a top notch CB and creative midfielder. My broader point was that I’d like to see the core of our side start the season as first choice with only 3/4 new faces at most in our first starting 11.

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

How are we supposed to compete in this league when you have Forest ready to spunk 35m on Anderson from Newcastle? Not even a first team regular for them, and didn't even make the Scotland Euro squad. 

The only way that happens is if Morgan Gibbs White moves in the other direction (Newcastle have been linked with him tbf).

It'll be cost neutral at that point. Forest cannot spend a penny without sales.

Edited by S-Clarke

26 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

How are we supposed to compete in this league when you have Forest ready to spunk 35m on Anderson from Newcastle? Not even a first team regular for them, and didn't even make the Scotland Euro squad. 

Ideally you have an excellent recruitment team that identify players before they are known, develop them (whether at Saints or out on loan) and then take advantage when the rich and reckless come in for them.

Easier to do that when to have a.) a settled recruitment team (we haven't)

b.) a defined style of play to recruit for (we do now and did for some of RH tenure)

Our issue for the last 6 or 7 years has been that we haven't found enough of these players, consequently haven't sold anyone for big money in a long while (Lavia aside) and because we havent had a strong enough core of PL players whenever we have had a potential gem they have largely struggled in a poor team.

I know people hate comparison clubs but look at how Brighton have used the loan market to develop their players (White, Mitoma, Caicedo etc) - its light years away from what we have done largely because they planned ahead and have signed a lot of players they havent needed to throw straight into their squad before they are ready. 

Our only recent recruitment pattern seems to be allowing our better players to get to one year left on their contracts, being forced to sell under value for £15m - £20m and then replacing (sometimes) with players who cost the same but have no experience or proven quality. KWP this time around, previous examples include PEH, Ings, Vestergaard, Clyne, Wanyama. Suprise, suprise it caused a gradual decline because the replacements needed time they didnt have to adjust to the PL and in some cases were just not good enough.

British players tend to have a better market to sell even to the Championship for those that dont quite make it, so that focus makes sense but now we are part of a multi club setup and Goztepe are back in the Super Lig - lets use it to our advantage and try to recruit better in other markets...like Brighton have done in South America.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Göztepe said:

Maybe he might come to us on loan, it's just a guess, there are rumors that 2-3 young loan players might come to us on loan.

Interesting possibility. Although it’ll give him good experience in a better league, will it help Saints secure a work permit the following year ? 

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Ideally you have an excellent recruitment team that identify players before they are known, develop them (whether at Saints or out on loan) and then take advantage when the rich and reckless come in for them.

Our issue for the last 6 or 7 years has been that we haven't found enough of these players, consequently haven't sold anyone for big money in a long while (Lavia aside) and because we havent had a strong enough core of PL players whenever we have had a potential gem they have largely struggled in a poor team.

I know people hate comparison clubs but look at how Brighton have used the loan market to develop their players (White, Mitoma, Caicedo etc) - its light years away from what we have done largely because they planned ahead and have signed a lot of players they havent needed to throw straight into their squad before they are ready. 

Our only recent recruitment pattern seems to be allowing our better players to get to one year left on their contracts, being forced to sell under value for £15m - £20m and then replacing (sometimes) with players who cost the same but have no experience or proven quality. KWP this time around, previous examples include PEH, Ings, Vestergaard, Clyne, Wanyama.

All clubs have this cycle though. We had a golden period of our own when we were selling for profit, reinvesting, and then selling that for a profit etc.

What Brighton are doing well at the moment will hit the stoppers at some point, it's absolutley inevitable. The fat lady started signing as soon as they lauded around the media about their profits last season.

They're still light years ahead of us, but they'll be coming down a peg or two rather quickly in the next few years once their recruitment success starts drying up. (it's already started to)

• Like 1