Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Only asking on the basis that it’s desirable to be a ( free or very close to free ) transfer and it’s an experienced EPL goalscorer. And maybe it lubricates the Flynn transfer also. 
Does not preclude getting other younger forwards who are hungry and got potential and cost£30m accordingly in which we will not be doing I don’t think - but Saints seem to be interested in the latter type of free -ish player at present and MA coming back may not be a bad idea for a season or two. 

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s a bit like asking if gravy is better than eggnog as a replacement for the Ribena I use to lubricate the engine in my Vauxhall.

Just checked with my mate on this. He does cars.

"Gravy all day long, pal. Bisto though: none of that Knorr crap. The eggnog will cook and clog, then you're needing to call the Saturday Kitchen mob, and they're wankers. Why's he changing from Ribena anyway? Doesn't he know it's summer."

HTH.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, goodymatt said:

They’ve already broken our transfer record then. I was hoping he would go to Germany like Tella did as he is one of their best players. Great signing for Tractor Teds.

I'm not one for just chucking money around but Ipswich have been in the premier league for 5 minutes and they've already broken our transfer record. Pretty damning really. We need to make a couple of statement signings this summer otherwise we will be back down before we know it - the PL is just getting tougher and tougher. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I think that we should compare the forums views on these players. Mara has been universally panned by this forum, with perhaps a short respite from the criticism around the Huddersfield game. Delap has got a good reputation with Hull fans for his pace and holdup play. There are a few comments that his decision making and finishing will need to improve but they talk about an individual with huge potential. He is still only 21, so 8 goals in the Championship at that age isn't too shabby. Mara scored 3 in the league last year.

I'm not saying Delap is a world beater, merely that it might be worth giving him a  chance before writing him off. 

You DO know that you are on Saintsweb, don't you? "This is NOT the Way".....

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not one for just chucking money around but Ipswich have been in the premier league for 5 minutes and they've already broken our transfer record. Pretty damning really. We need to make a couple of statement signings this summer otherwise we will be back down before we know it - the PL is just getting tougher and tougher. 

Hutchinson hasn't cost them more than Sulemana? And 20m of their FFP budget on a flair player when they need a whole new defence and midfield seems silly when they have Burns in that position already 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

Hutchinson hasn't cost them more than Sulemana? And 20m of their FFP budget on a flair player when they need a whole new defence and midfield seems silly when they have Burns in that position already 

Well Hutchinson played 44 matches for Ipswich last season scoring 10 goals so he's no doubt a big player for them. Burns played 35 times so I'm pretty sure they were both playing in the same team? 

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Had good success with our Scottish transfers on the whole and he's had an excellent season statistically. We were also linked with him previously iirc so he seems like a long term first choice target.

I'll be watching Germany vs Denmark tonight so interested to see how he gets on.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Had good success with our Scottish transfers on the whole and he's had an excellent season statistically. We were also linked with him previously iirc so he seems like a long term first choice target.

I'll be watching Germany vs Denmark tonight so interested to see how he gets on.

Unfortunately isn't in the Denmark squad - no idea why, Danish fans were pretty pissed off about it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

This would be a massive coup.

I disagree. From what i've seen of him i just don't think he's good enough to warrant a large transfer fee. I don't think people quite realise the gulf in quality between Celtic and most of the SPL, and just how poor a player he comes up against. I'd much rather keep the likes of Stu and Alcaraz over him put it that way - if we can get him at a good price fine. But the £20-30m fees being bandied about mean we should look elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He didn't make the denmark squad.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

The players coming in on frees seemingly - Taylor, Fraser, Ghoddos, DCR - are sensible, and a possible Downes-KWP exchange given the latter is in the last year of his contract makes sense. Sugawara seems a positive link at RWB.

Liam Delap at £10m would be a good option as a second striker, we will need a first choice and Stewart as third striker getting 15-20 minutes and building his fitness up after nothing for the last 18 months. 

THB already done.

The one very questionable area is goalkeeper, club has to be using the loan market for this season if they still don’t want to admit their fuck up on buying Bazanu. He won’t be fit this season anyway and on loan at Carlisle, Stockport, Exeter or somewhere at League 1/2 levels in 2025/26 to get fit again.

It seems fairly clear that the club has decided McCarthy will be our number one keeper until Baz returns. I don't agree with it but he hasn't been given a new two year contract to sit on his ass.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I disagree. From what i've seen of him i just don't think he's good enough to warrant a large transfer fee. I don't think people quite realise the gulf in quality between Celtic and most of the SPL, and just how poor a player he comes up against. I'd much rather keep the likes of Stu and Alcaraz over him put it that way - if we can get him at a good price fine. But the £20-30m fees being bandied about mean we should look elsewhere.

He didn't make the denmark squad.

We've got a great record with spl players haven't we? Vvd, Armstrong, Davis, wanyana etc weren't harmed by playing against inferior opposition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Not saying we don't need to invest in more talent, but we just spent roughly the same on THB. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That can't be right. FFP is the buzzword on here

FFP doesn't stop you spending money, you just need to balance the books. Bet it doesn't happen in this current financial year. 

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We've got a great record with spl players haven't we? Vvd, Armstrong, Davis, wanyana etc weren't harmed by playing against inferior opposition. 

Aribo didn't exactly pull up any trees in the Prem (let's see how he goes second time around), but as long as we don't sign another McCant, I don't see a problem with acquiring the best player in the Scottish league - I'm assuming that rather than knowing it. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Unfortunately isn't in the Denmark squad - no idea why, Danish fans were pretty pissed off about it

I'd say that is probably a good thing. If he had a decent tournament his price would go up and he'd potentially have bigger suitors.

22 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Picking up experienced players on a free may give us more wiggle room for players of this ilk. Hope this happens, he looks a great talent.

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but success not guaranteed--- eg Elyounoussi. Scottish football is such low quality that it's not a very good guide to how good a player is.

Just now, ally_uk said:

£30 million for him 🤣🤣🤣

Lets not get carried away 

Transfermarkt reckons his value is estimated at €20m, so £17m. £30m is not happening, surely?

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Whaaaaaaaaat!?!? Ok, shows how much I've been paying attention to Denmark this Euros - and we played them! Which shows how much I've been paying attention to England too.

3 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Good news. Decent break for him. Come out firing for us.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He's Danish? I thought he was Irish! Especially being at Celtic.

Born in London, Danish mother, opted for Denmark.

21 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Yes - that's why I quoted the article.

More Celtic fan forum discussion here. Apparently he won man of the match in a Champions League game playing as a 6. So he has proper defensive midfield ability too.

Thanks. General consensus is he's great but they think we have no chance of getting him. Would be good but I'll file this one under unlikely until we hear anything further. 

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Thanks. General consensus is he's great but they think we have no chance of getting him. Would be good but I'll file this one under unlikely until we hear anything further. 

RM did try to sign him to Swansea, and they describe a player with his head on straight. He's just played the season of his life and not been picked for the Euros because of the standard of the league he's playing in (and also potentially because he's too creative and too young for the Danish manager)

If I were him I'd want to continue that run of form and join a team where I would play more often than not. He's 23 so likely another big move before he hits 27/28. I'd say we are favourites if we have £20m + add ons available

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

22 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

RM did try to sign him to Swansea, and they describe a player with his head on straight. He's just played the season of his life and not been picked for the Euros because of the standard of the league he's playing in (and also potentially because he's too creative and too young for the Danish manager)

If I were him I'd want to continue that run of form and join a team where I would play more often than not. He's 23 so likely another big move before he hits 27/28. I'd say we are favourites if we have £20m + add ons available

If I were him I'd prefer a move to leverkusen or athletic. Just being honest. 

24 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

19 goals and 18 assists from midfield is impressive, SPL or not.

Elyounoussi got 17 in a season for Celtic. 8 from 21 games in the season before.

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

19 goals and 18 assists from midfield is impressive, SPL or not.

Elyounoussi has had a similar-ish season in Denmark, so I’d still view this with some caution.

9 hours ago, benjii said:

Am I the only one who thinks we need "another Downes", not just Downes? 

We need him plus a combative midfielder with energy and recovery ability. 

We 100% won't get away with Downes, Smallbone, Aribo as a PL midfield. And even if we could, we saw last year that we're buggered if Downes misses a match.

Can Ghoddos do that role?

Agreed. We needed to give Romeu support, but he moved on when we got Lavia. Too much dependency on Downes' role. Unless we're expecting Charles to make a sizeable step up, then we definitely need someone else.

• Like 1

I wasn't really following him, but must have seen him in a rare couple of meh performances at some point last season, going by his stats. No idea if it was a return from injury, dip in form, or the whole team struggling.

However, I did see him come off the bench in an Old Firm, and he drove his team.

16 minutes ago, JRM said:

It is a lot but it's almost a guaranteed profit for them when, eventually, they sell him to a big club. Pundits have raved about him all season but I heard it the most during the play off final. He has a lot of experience under his belt for an 18 year old. The sad thing is it helps Leeds out financially! 😁

• Like 1