Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

7 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

That's more like it

Martin and him are pretty close, think he was big in his career at MK Dons. Can imagine there is interest, I think there was last summer too.

That price would need to come down a lot though!

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Martin and him are pretty close, think he was big in his career at MK Dons. Can imagine there is interest, I think there was last summer too.

That price would need to come down a lot though!

Think £20m would be fair, we must have some dreck we can send their way to get the cost down. Seems to be all the rage. Sulemana could do with a confidence-boosting season in Scotland if you ask me, Champions League football as well.

The West Ham link is interesting. I can see us improving defensively on KWP which we will need in a lot of games in the Premier League. There is no doubting his attacking ability but primarily we need to be able to defend. I can see  the possibility of KWP going and Downes plus Ings coming the other way with WHU picking up a proportion of Ings salary. Plus a bit of cash. Personally I want to see three centre backs and full backs that can defend when required. 

Ipswich signing one of their loans on a perm - Omari Hutchinson, £23m. He was decent for them last season, good player who is ready to make the step up imo.

The money Chelsea make on their kids is insane though.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Ipswich signing one of their loans on a perm - Omari Hutchinson, £23m. He was decent for them last season, good player who is ready to make the step up imo.

The money Chelsea make on their kids is insane though.

They’ve already broken our transfer record then. I was hoping he would go to Germany like Tella did as he is one of their best players. Great signing for Tractor Teds.

30 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Yes please, O'Riley is class.

tell us all about him Dave, what sort of midfielder is he? what are his strengths? How do you feel he will dovetail with Downes? 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

tell us all about him Dave, what sort of midfielder is he? what are his strengths? How do you feel he will dovetail with Downes? 

He is a box to box midfielder who can create and score goals. Quality player. Flynn and him together would be exciting.

• Like 5

Funny to read posts about KWP being a defensive liability when just a month ago everyone was rightly pointing out that he kept the Championship Player of the Year in his pocket for 3 games.

I know its a defence mechanism but its ok to just be honest and say it how it is: disappointing to lose KWP who has been great for us both defensively and going forward. Probably our best player.

Whilst I'm on the topic of bad takes...these posts with lineups for next season are absurd for two reasons:

1. There is zero chance we will only sign frees and loans and end up with starting front 3s as weak as Ghoddos, Arma, Fraser so its a waste of time doing lineups at this point before we have done any proper business (we know the market hots up in July/Aug because its the same every single year)

2. Most of those lineups wouldnt get 20 points...its only been a year but some seem to have forgotten how strong and ruthless the PL is.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5

Alan Nixon (I know...) has put a piece out, tagged as an exclusive, saying Saints are keen on Liam Delap if Ché Adams goes.

Been interested quite a while now and says RM is keen to have a strong runner and someone who can hold the ball up, if CA does leave. Man City willing to sell for £10m but top Champ sides struggling to meet asking price.

Edited by CSA96
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Based on rumours this is where I am at currently with the players likely to come in and and our current crop;

Macca;

New RB, THB, Bednarek, Taylor;

Downes;

Smallbone, New 8

Arma, New 9, New Winger.

Having watched the Saints since the early 1960s I can honestly say I am underwhelmed with the idea of the above struggling in the PL in the coming months but can only hope the New RB is going to be like Ivan Golac the new 8 is like Stevie Williams the new 9 is like Martin Chivers and the new winger is as good as Terry Paine then we may have a chance

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Think £20m would be fair, we must have some dreck we can send their way to get the cost down. Seems to be all the rage. Sulemana could do with a confidence-boosting season in Scotland if you ask me, Champions League football as well.

they need a CB and left back. I wonder what ABK might think of them.

21 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Alan Nixon (I know...) has put a piece out, tagged as an exclusive, saying Saints are keen on Liam Delap if Ché Adams goes.

Been interested quite a while now and says RM is keen to have a strong runner and someone who can hold the ball up, if CA does leave. Man City willing to sell for £10m but top Champ sides struggling to meet asking price.

I think at £10m that would be a decent signing. He has the potential and at that price could he be one of a couple new strikers?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I think at £10m that would be a decent signing. He has the potential and at that price could he be one of a couple new strikers?

Nothing about his career to date says he has what it takes to make it in the prem his goal return when on loan in the championship has been abysmal I just can’t get exited about a player who got 8 goals in 31 games last year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Nothing about his career to date says he has what it takes to make it in the prem his goal return when on loan in the championship has been abysmal I just can’t get exited about a player who got 8 goals in 31 games last year.

Just putting it out there, but a young 20 year old Harry Kane was relatively similar before he made his proper break through - couple of nondescript champ loans at Norwich and Leicester where he did pretty similar to Delap, nothing mind blowing. We were linked with him in 2014 and I remember a lot of fans saying exactly the same ''Hasn't done anything, he's not going to do it at this level etc''.

The rest was history once he got his chance at Spurs.

Saints eye £10m Kane – The Sun

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

Just now, a1ex2001 said:

Watching him I think he’s got something. At £10m I don’t see us losing money on him and just feel he has a higher ceiling. Looked decent for Hull who played possession footy. City’s academy also will have been a good preparation for Martin ball.

Stoke and Preston completely different in their styles and he has had injury interruptions. It’s not all been rosey but that’s why his asking price has dropped to £10m.

Think he’s a better gamble than Che Adams going forward if brought in as one to develop. Kane is a good example of not smashing the championship on his loans but realising that potential. Our model involves taking risks on these kind of players. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just putting it out there, but a young 20 year old Harry Kane was relatively similar before he made his proper break through - couple of nondescript champ loans at Norwich and Leicester where he did pretty similar to Delap, nothing mind blowing. We were linked with him in 2014 and I remember a lot of fans saying exactly the same ''Hasn't done anything, he's not going to do it at this level etc''.

The rest was history once he got his chance at Spurs.

Saints eye £10m Kane – The Sun

Think I agree with you. As long as we get a couple of strikers in I think this could be a smart move. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Think I agree with you. As long as we get a couple of strikers in I think this could be a smart move. 

He's almost certainly on our list, we were heavily linked a couple of summers ago - but for crazy money, 20-25m I think. £10m would be a much fairer reflection.

Like others have said, I think he has something about him. As a youth player he was prolific, everyone was excited about him and he was linkend to Kane in many ways. Defo a gamble at £10m I'd be happy to take (or a loan with a view)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Whilst I'm on the topic of bad takes...these posts with lineups for next season are absurd for two reasons:

1. There is zero chance we will only sign frees and loans and end up with starting front 3s as weak as Ghoddos, Arma, Fraser so its a waste of time doing lineups at this point before we have done any proper business (we know the market hots up in July/Aug because its the same every single year)

2. Most of those lineups wouldnt get 20 points...its only been a year but some seem to have forgotten how strong and ruthless the PL is.

yeah pointless showing where we roughly are right now, far more fun speculating on how we might look if we find £100m down the back the sofa. 😉

Bento
Sugawara THB Bednarek Taylor
Riley Downs Sara
AA Banza Carvalho

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Can we just get him for £4m, at least having claim to fame of getting father and son for the same price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Can we just get him for £4m, at least having claim to fame of getting father and son for the same price.

His dad was our record signing for quite a while maybe we should chuck City £30m just for the future pub quiz question!

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

It would be like swapping Che for Che.

The players coming in on frees seemingly - Taylor, Fraser, Ghoddos, DCR - are sensible, and a possible Downes-KWP exchange given the latter is in the last year of his contract makes sense. Sugawara seems a positive link at RWB.

Liam Delap at £10m would be a good option as a second striker, we will need a first choice and Stewart as third striker getting 15-20 minutes and building his fitness up after nothing for the last 18 months. 

THB already done.

The one very questionable area is goalkeeper, club has to be using the loan market for this season if they still don’t want to admit their fuck up on buying Bazanu. He won’t be fit this season anyway and on loan at Carlisle, Stockport, Exeter or somewhere at League 1/2 levels in 2025/26 to get fit again.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

6 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

The players coming in on frees seemingly - Taylor, Fraser, Ghoddos, DCR - are sensible, and a possible Downes-KWP exchange given the latter is in the last year of his contract makes sense. Sugawara seems a positive link at RWB.

Liam Delap at £10m would be a good option as a second striker, we will need a first choice and Stewart as third striker getting 15-20 minutes and building his fitness up after nothing for the last 18 months. 

THB already done.

The one very questionable area is goalkeeper, club has to be using the loan market for this season if they still don’t want to admit their fuck up on buying Bazanu. He won’t be fit this season anyway and on loan at Carlisle, Stockport, Exeter or somewhere at League 1/2 levels in 2025/26 to get fit again.

I don't get how Martin can be so ruthless with the likes of Alcaraz and Sulemana yet have a blind spot when it comes to Bazunu. Maybe he just loves the fact that his distribution is so good? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

I really hope rhe delap talk is rehashed bullshit from  last season, might as well keep mara 

Blunter than I would be, but he doesn't look anything like a PL player to me, and has done next to nothing in his championship loans. Not a link that excites me either. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks we need "another Downes", not just Downes? 

We need him plus a combative midfielder with energy and recovery ability. 

We 100% won't get away with Downes, Smallbone, Aribo as a PL midfield. And even if we could, we saw last year that we're buggered if Downes misses a match.

Can Ghoddos do that role?

Edited by benjii
  • Like 13

40 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

I really hope rhe delap talk is rehashed bullshit from  last season, might as well keep mara 

I think that we should compare the forums views on these players. Mara has been universally panned by this forum, with perhaps a short respite from the criticism around the Huddersfield game. Delap has got a good reputation with Hull fans for his pace and holdup play. There are a few comments that his decision making and finishing will need to improve but they talk about an individual with huge potential. He is still only 21, so 8 goals in the Championship at that age isn't too shabby. Mara scored 3 in the league last year.

I'm not saying Delap is a world beater, merely that it might be worth giving him a  chance before writing him off. 

• Like 4

I find it funny how people are still saying “if Che Adams leaves…”.

He’s gone, he’s had offers on the table all season and he has stalled and stalled and stalled. Personally after the play off final we should’ve revoked any contract offer just for that reason. 

I would be shocked if he was here next season.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If it came off

Downes Smallbone 

Armstrong O'reily Fraser 

Delap/Stewart 

Is a better attacking lineup. Then we either use lallana and Fraser or hopefully get in a winger or two. 

Maybe it is a better combination but it is no where near other non struggling Saints teams in the PL

41 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I find it funny how people are still saying “if Che Adams leaves…”.

He’s gone, he’s had offers on the table all season and he has stalled and stalled and stalled. Personally after the play off final we should’ve revoked any contract offer just for that reason. 

I would be shocked if he was here next season.

Glad to see the back of him. Over-rated plodder, always has been always will be.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bloody bad news. What in hell is the point of swapping KWP for Downes? How does that help us improve the team?

We need them both not one or t'other. Stop this nonsense now!

If KWP has told the club he wont sign an extension they either cash in now as best they can or lose him for nothing this time next year. It's a no brainer really as unfortunate as it is. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Just saw that myself. I know it's only the Irish league, but to be playing and impacting first team football @ 16 is pretty special, in whatever league.

Beat some big clubs to this one. Hope we actually get to see him play for us before the inevitable transfer in a few years.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, John B said:

Having watched the Saints since the early 1960s I can honestly say I am underwhelmed with the idea of the above struggling in the PL in the coming months but can only hope the New RB is going to be like Ivan Golac the new 8 is like Stevie Williams the new 9 is like Martin Chivers and the new winger is as good as Terry Paine then we may have a chance

Chuck in a striker with the aerial ability of Ron Davies to come off the bench and a young Mike Channon coming through the youth set up and that would be worth considering

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Is Michael Antonio > Danny Ings? 

As a replacement for Che? 

That’s a bit like asking if gravy is better than eggnog as a replacement for the Ribena I use to lubricate the engine in my Vauxhall.

• Haha 5