Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Lots to take in this lunchtime:

KWP to WHU (Telegraph/Fab). Makes sense with one year and he goes with my best wishes having stayed and got us back up.

Downes to Saints (Telegraph/Fab) saying swap deal With KWP. Athletic also reporting he feels there is unfinished business and Alvarez injury could open up an opportunity for him. 

Sugawara confirmed as high on our list (Echo) but there are a ‘few’ others on the list.

Charlie Taylor to Saints (Echo/Mirror). Expected to sign on Monday.

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I’m with Dusic, I read that as we pay a fee for Downes whilst West Ham pay a fee for KWP and the deals will be done separately (ironically in a similar way to how KWP arrived in the first place from Spurs, with PEH going the other way). 

Cant see us giving them money and KWP for Downes.

It may be ambiguous in that case, but the context of the article before the above quote is a swap deal, and the only mention of a fee is us to West Ham.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c4ngen37kwyo

BBC reporting the swap deal.

For accounting purposes, I guess both players are probably going to have `as big as they can get away with it' price tags announced. So maybe £25m Downes and £30m KWP (or vis versa), but ultimately very little cash moving between clubs.

That actually makes loads of sense tbf.

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

what do we reckon then, £5m-£10m plus Downes?

£3m for Perrard and DCC, £5m for Lyanco

Do we should be about c£20m in from sales, plus Lallana, Taylor, Fraser, the bloke from Brentford and Harwood-Bellis in for £20m

Decent so far.

Most reports have it as €4.5m for Lyanco, so about £3.8m, but certainly good to actually get some money back for some of these guys as it all adds up. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Most reports have it as €4.5m for Lyanco, so about £3.8m, but certainly good to actually get some money back for some of these guys as it all adds up. 

Ah okay fair enough but as you say all adds up. Hopefully we can get shot of ABK as well we should be able to get a decent few for him. Doubt anyone will take some of the duffers like Mara and Sully off our hands but we live in hope 

More from The Guardian on West Ham/KWP/Downes:

Julen Lopetegui, who is interested in the Southampton full-back Kyle Walker-Peters has made signing a centre-back a priority and Kilman is top of his list. 

Ipswich have agreed a deal to sign Ben Johnson, the versatile full-back, on a free from West Ham. Lopetegui needs cover for Emerson Palmieri and Vladimir Coufal in both full-back positions and is looking at Walker-Peters, who has a year left on his deal, and the Manchester United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka. David Moyes, Lopetegui’s predecessor, was not convinced about moving for Walker-Peters, who can play at left-back and right-back.

But West Ham, who are also searching for a striker, remain interested in Walker-Peters and there have been talks with Southampton, who want to sign Flynn Downes on a permanent deal. Downes spent last season on loan at Southampton, playing a key role in their promotion to the Premier League, and West Ham want to sell the midfielder.

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be honest I'd take that. Right backs are more replaceable than the role Downes plays in our system. 

You are probably right, but dDon't underestimate how important the fullbacks are to the way we play. These guys need to have a brilliant first touch and the confidence to drop their shoulder and dribble inside to beat any press. This is something KWP has been doing brilliantly. If we lose quality in the fullback area, we are not going to ever get out of our own third. 

Hopefully Sugawara can do exactly the same job. Really excited to see him play, assuming that deal goes through.

• Like 3

It does sound like this move would help appease a lot of the PSR nonsense. I don't think we have the flexibility to put down money on the table for Downes outright and then sign a replacement for KWP - so including KWP in the Downes deal will free up the funds allowing us to get the RB replacement.

I think Charlie Taylor coming in on a free, Ghoddos on a free, Fraser on a free, Downes in a swap and Sugawara (however you spell it) as a replacement for KWP will be us done. Still massively short up top and in GK though, but without a substantial sale or two more (i.e Charly or Adam Armstrong) we're a bit stuck.

It's a clever way of getting two new players for the price of one in PSR terms really. It's just a shame we have to get weaker before we can get stronger.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ah okay fair enough but as you say all adds up. Hopefully we can get shot of ABK as well we should be able to get a decent few for him. Doubt anyone will take some of the duffers like Mara and Sully off our hands but we live in hope 

French clubs with money don't want Mara. French clubs without money probably interested. Doesn't help us much.
I wonder if ABK's reputation in Germany still stands.    
Sully is going to come good. I think the likes Fraser, that lack that yard of pace, may struggle to make an impact in the Prem and there will be times when we are crying out for an injection of pace. 

With the accounting deadline on Sunday, I assume the swap deal will happen quickly and then any other transfers we make will  fall in the next financial year (I am guessing we don't have any wriggle room ourselves to go after players from teams under financial pressure.

I assume also that current contracts end on Sunday, so is it possible that McCarthy and Adams deals/departures are announced on Monday?

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

You are probably right, but dDon't underestimate how important the fullbacks are to the way we play. These guys need to have a brilliant first touch and the confidence to drop their shoulder and dribble inside to beat any press. This is something KWP has been doing brilliantly. If we lose quality in the fullback area, we are not going to ever get out of our own third. 

Hopefully Sugawara can do exactly the same job. Really excited to see him play, assuming that deal goes through.

I agree that fullback are important. The position Downes has however is the most important. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It does sound like this move would help appease a lot of the PSR nonsense. I don't think we have the flexibility to put down money on the table for Downes outright and then sign a replacement for KWP - so including KWP in the Downes deal will free up the funds allowing us to get the RB replacement.

I think Charlie Taylor coming in on a free, Ghoddos on a free, Fraser on a free, Downes in a swap and Sugawara (however you spell it) as a replacement for KWP will be us done. Still massively short up top and in GK though, but without a substantial sale or two more (i.e Charly or Adam Armstrong) we're a bit stuck.

It's a clever way of getting two new players for the price of one in PSR terms really. It's just a shame we have to get weaker before we can get stronger.

Lol. If you think we aren't getting an Adams replacement as a bare minimum then you're laughing. I understand we don't have loads of cash to splash but you're insane if you think we don't have at the very least a few tens of millions to spend as required. Not a chance are we not strengthening in attack. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

done in this financial year, but no necessarily done this window. Obviously, if either of Adams or McCarthy don't sign, we'll bring someone else in. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree that fullback are important. The position Downes has however is the most important. 

I agree, centre midfield is the most important. I'm really looking forward to see if Downes can be as effective in the Prem (i.e. to see if he has improved, as he did OK for West Ham, but didn't exactly shione like he did for us). 

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that's incredibly unlikely personally. I think they'll be a large chunk of business done by us this summer, we will need to be quite a bit stronger than last season, if this is the case, we might as well just accept relegation now. 

Sounds like this Sagawara is basically a winger too, and defensively very suspect, so will be interested to see how that one plays out given how intricate our system is.

The Ghoddos links have all gone very quiet. Personally I think the starting point is Taylor, Downes, Fraser & Sagawara. We undoubtedly need considerably more strength in attacking areas.  

I'm expecting a bunch of the following to leave too if not all: DCC, Lyanco, Sulemana, Onuachu, Mara, Alcaraz, ABK, Lis, Adams

With additional possibles of any of: Bednarek, Aribo, Bree, Edozie, Charles, SAA, Larios for various reasons, potentially some out on loan.

Squad is shaping up to look something along the lines of:

GK: NEW, Bazunu, Macca, Lumley, 

RB: Sagawara, Bree
LB: Taylor, Manning, Larios
CB: Bednarek, THB, Stephens, NEW

DM: Downes, NEW, Charles
CM: Lallana, Smallbone, Aribo
AM/Wide: Armstrong, Fraser, Edozie, NEW

ST: NEW, Stewart, NEW

Time will tell...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I agree, centre midfield is the most important. I'm really looking forward to see if Downes can be as effective in the Prem (i.e. to see if he has improved, as he did OK for West Ham, but didn't exactly shione like he did for us). 

I agree. I think at this point though we have no choice but to go all in for Downes if he has signalled he's willing to return. He's a known quantity and we can't be taking risks in that particular position. If we were forced to take a punt with someone else and it didn't work out that's basically us relegated straight away. If we get an underwhelming fullback you can imagine we'd be able to cover it somewhat even if we played a cb out of position for example. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think that's incredibly unlikely personally. I think they'll be a large chunk of business done by us this summer, we will need to be quite a bit stronger than last season, if this is the case, we might as well just accept relegation now. 

Sounds like this Sagawara is basically a winger too, and defensively very suspect, so will be interested to see how that one plays out given how intricate our system is.

The Ghoddos links have all gone very quiet. Personally I think the starting point is Taylor, Downes, Fraser & Sagawara. We undoubtedly need considerably more strength in attacking areas.  

I'm expecting a bunch of the following to leave too if not all: DCC, Lyanco, Sulemana, Onuachu, Mara, Alcaraz, ABK, Lis, Adams

With additional possibles of any of: Bednarek, Aribo, Bree, Edozie, Charles, SAA, Larios for various reasons, potentially some out on loan.

Time will tell...

I do wonder if we would look to replace Manning and Bree who I don't think are really up to it. I'd also question if Smallbone, Lallana and Aribo would be sufficient in that area. I aonder if we'd look to bring in a utility player who could do a job across the back line also. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I do wonder if we would look to replace Manning and Bree who I don't think are really up to it. I'd also question if Smallbone, Lallana and Aribo would be sufficient in that area. I aonder if we'd look to bring in a utility player who could do a job across the back line also. 

I think all are very likely, though I'm not sure we'll be getting better than Manning/Bree as backup full backs, and if money is tight, happy for them to stay and do the job for now.

Obviously we've already lost Brooks, Rothwell and Stuey from last seasons squad too, though our squad was probably 1 or 2 too big last season.

Some decisions to be made on likes of Charles, Edozie, Sulemana, Mara that's for sure, along with likes of Bree, Manning, Stephens and even Smallbone.

I just hope we don't underestimate how difficult this league is this season. I can't be arsed with being miserable every Saturday for the next 9 months!

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

French clubs with money don't want Mara. French clubs without money probably interested. Doesn't help us much.
I wonder if ABK's reputation in Germany still stands.    
Sully is going to come good. I think the likes Fraser, that lack that yard of pace, may struggle to make an impact in the Prem and there will be times when we are crying out for an injection of pace. 

Lille were supposedly interested in Mara as a replacement for Jonathan David in January.  I think he is more highly rated in France than we would think.  But then again the standard in Ligue 1 is probably below the championship. Hopefully Lille come knocking once Jonathan David has moved on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think all are very likely, though I'm not sure we'll be getting better than Manning/Bree as backup full backs, and if money is tight, happy for them to stay and do the job for now.

Obviously we've already lost Brooks, Rothwell and Stuey from last seasons squad too, though our squad was probably 1 or 2 too big last season.

Some decisions to be made on likes of Charles, Edozie, Sulemana, Mara that's for sure, along with likes of Bree, Manning, Stephens and even Smallbone.

I just hope we don't underestimate how difficult this league is this season. I can't be arsed with being miserable every Saturday for the next 9 months!

Can't disagree. Will be interesting to see how we do. No doubt our moral and team ethic will be light years ahead of two years ago but I'd say we are a fair bit weaker in key positions. Midfield we are a lot weaker in particular and most likely in attack too unless Stewart is a revelation. If we strengthen the keeper, replace kwp and bring in another defender then I'd be confident that we'd be better at the back so then the question will be if our team spirit can lead us to be a better collective. 

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Time will tell...

I can't see us signing Macca and a first choice keeper. 

Ghoddos will be out of contract as of Monday. So any announcement of him signing for someone may just happen once we are in July.

Although he perhaps started playing further forward (certainly in his first season at AZ), Sagawara has subsequently played RM or RW about ten times in total over the last four seasons (he's played 140 odd games in that time). So not sure you could say he's basically a winger. Is he defensively suspect? Is that what AZ fans have said? 

Edited by Chez

Much as I enjoyed watching Downes play last season he is an unknown quantity at PL level. nobody can say for certain that he will be able to effectively make the step up. KWP has Premier League experience, and played well at that level. So if this deal does materialise imo it is a massive gamble by Saints, KWP would be exactly the type of player we need to keep even at the cost of a massive hike in contract.

But, as I said, that is just my opinion.

Edited by Oldandtired

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I can't see us signing Macca and a first choice keeper. 

Ghoddos will be out of contract as of Monday. So any announcement of him signing for someone may just happen once we are in July.

Although he perhaps started playing further forward (certainly in his first season at AZ), Sagawara has subsequently played RM or RW about ten times in total over the last four seasons (he's played 140 odd games in that time). So not sure you could say he's basically a winger. Is he defensively suspect? Is that what AZ fans have said? 

So what happens if Macca  picks up a bad injury in the opening match? We'd be left with Lumley and who exactly?

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

So what happens if Macca  picks up a bad injury in the opening match? We'd be left with Lumley and who exactly?

I'm with Chez. Signing Macca on big cash, a first choice, with Baz to come back ain't happening imo. I'm assuming Lis and Lumley will back up whoever we sign as number 1 until they resume the Baz shit show. 

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

I have no idea why they gave Lumley a new deal, but they did. So he would come in. The u21 keeper Wright is either a decent prospect or he isn't (I don't really know), so he could be our third choice. It would be two keeper injuries before he saw game time. Third choice is never really getting a game unless there is a crisis.

I think there are emergency keeper signings permitted and the January window of course.

12 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Much as I enjoyed watching Downes play last season he is an unknown quantity at PL level. nobody can say for certain that he will be able to effectively make the step up. KWP has Premier League experience, and played well at that level. So if this deal does materialise imo it is a massive gamble by Saints, KWP would be exactly the type of player we need to keep even at the cost of a massive hike in contract.

But, as I said, that is just my opinion.

Sure, it's a slight gamble, but West Ham fans didn't suggest he was out of his depth and most thought he should have got more game time. The alternative is to get someone with lots of Prem experience.  However, if they have lots of Prem experience and they are good, they ain't coming here this summer. So, all you'd get is a player with lots of Prem experience that has failed to shine in that league. How is that better than a guy that `might' shine? 

End of the day, if KWP doesn’t want to sign a new deal then we are right to look to sell this summer when there is still some money to be had from him. We won’t want to repeat the Adams issue and allowing his deal to run out.

he probably agreed to give us one more year last summer in exchange for being allowed to go this year. 

58 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lol. If you think we aren't getting an Adams replacement as a bare minimum then you're laughing. I understand we don't have loads of cash to splash but you're insane if you think we don't have at the very least a few tens of millions to spend as required. Not a chance are we not strengthening in attack. 

Sorry should have clarified, I meant in terms of outlays transfer fee wise. I still expect us to get a Striker, but I imagine it will be someone in the loan market towards the backend of the window (if Adams leaves).

If Adams and McCarthy do re-sign then I can honestly see them sticking with that (not that I'd agree with it). I think we're making use of the free market up to now, so I expect us to make equally good use of the loan market at the end of Aug.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sorry should have clarified, I meant in terms of outlays transfer fee wise. I still expect us to get a Striker, but I imagine it will be someone in the loan market towards the backend of the window (if Adams leaves).

If Adams and McCarthy do re-sign then I can honestly see them sticking with that (not that I'd agree with it). I think we're making use of the free market up to now, so I expect us to make equally good use of the loan market at the end of Aug.

Well I'm fine with that. Two top quality loans can be as good as signings as proven by the likes of Broja. 

I gather Larios is seen as part of first team squad, and a lot is expected of Meghoma - they won't be relied upon as first choice but fit in well with signing a 30 year old LB (Taylor).

I wonder how far Shea Charles, edozie will develop this year. Are Dibling, Bragg and Ballard going to be more involved?

These will impact on requirements for balancing the squad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Max Aaron’s from Bournemouth

Has been linked a few times recently, and friends with THB and Taylor so could have legs. Can't see us signing him and Sagawara unless we get rid of Bree too. We do need to be a bit careful we don't have to spend the first 2 months of the season teaching these players how we play.

Linked with Osayi-Samuel, I suppose with KWP leaving we need to retain the double barrelled name numbers. 

Seems he has a decent right hook too, taking out a fan that stormed the pitch wielding a knife.

Edited by Saint Scott
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:
Linked with Osayi-Samuel, I suppose with KWP leaving we need to retain the double barrelled name numbers. 

Seems he has a decent right hook too, taking out a fan that stormed the pitch wielding a knife.

i like this guy already

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Has been linked a few times recently, and friends with THB and Taylor so could have legs. Can't see us signing him and Sagawara unless we get rid of Bree too. We do need to be a bit careful we don't have to spend the first 2 months of the season teaching these players how we play.

anyone remember last time we got promoted and a mystery 10 game figure was invented where we were adapting to the premier league which was used by a certain poster as an excuse for our crap start. 

26 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

End of the day, if KWP doesn’t want to sign a new deal then we are right to look to sell this summer when there is still some money to be had from him. We won’t want to repeat the Adams issue and allowing his deal to run out.

he probably agreed to give us one more year last summer in exchange for being allowed to go this year. 

Spot on. Financial suicide to allow players to walk on frees, unless you only ever intend on signing players on frees.

That said, the argument made by some last summer was that losing, let's says £12m we might have got for Che (assuming someone was willing to actually pay it - not sure we ever worked out of that was the case or not) was worth the gambling on the benefit he would provide to us getting promotion and the riches that brings. That gamble did pay off, I suppose, even if Adams wasn't the most crucial member of the starting side.

Could the argument now be that keeping KWP in this first season back, and losing the £15m, or whatever, is worth the gamble if it helps keep us up? I'd say not, especially if the fee is more like £20-25m. At some point you have stop `gambling' and just get back to good prudent football succession planning. 

It's actually great news that we have a buyer offering serious money and it is a club KWP wants to join. Both may not have been true and then he;d simply see his contract out and we'd able to do nothing. Next summer we are scratching around for free signings. I don't want to lose him, but that's the hand we have in our hand. 

Has anyone followed Aarons closely? I admit I've only seen bits and pieces but he really hasn't impressed me all that much. At least not to the extent that the media have made out he should have.

28 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I gather Larios is seen as part of first team squad, and a lot is expected of Meghoma - they won't be relied upon as first choice but fit in well with signing a 30 year old LB (Taylor).

I wonder how far Shea Charles, edozie will develop this year. Are Dibling, Bragg and Ballard going to be more involved?

These will impact on requirements for balancing the squad

None of them dominated in the Championship. And IMO to make the step up, you literally need to be stand out championship players. Unless they somehow make a massive leap over the summer (not sure why that would be the case),  then they all need a season in the championship. Can't loan everyone out though.

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Has anyone followed Aarons closely? I admit I've only seen bits and pieces but he really hasn't impressed me all that much. At least not to the extent that the media have made out he should have.

young players that get games get a lot of attention. Look past the young age and what kind of quality is there? He's not stood out at all in the games I have seen.  I guess  we are looking for players that can hold their own at Prem level.  I am not convinced he has.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

young players that get games get a lot of attention. Look past the young age and what kind of quality is there? He's not stood out at all in the games I have seen.  I guess  we are looking for players that can hold their own at Prem level.  I am not convinced he has.

I think he probably CAN hold his own in the Prem but that's about it. Going from KWP which I think will be one of the 4-5 best full backs in the league next season regardless of where he plays to someone that can simply hold their own is a bit of a come down.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think he probably CAN hold his own in the Prem but that's about it. Going from KWP which I think will be one of the 4-5 best full backs in the league next season regardless of where he plays to someone that can simply hold their own is a bit of a come down.

Have you considered the possibility that we had some sort of agreement with kwp that if he gave us a season we would let him leave with our blessing? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Have you considered the possibility that we had some sort of agreement with kwp that if he gave us a season we would let him leave with our blessing? 

I would be very surprised if that WASN'T the case. I've just kinda assumed that's how it is. I just don't know if Aarons is the best replacement. Especially since his price will infalted by only being a year into his contract, being English and being still a relatively young age.

32 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Im In. Most impressive highlights reel for a player I’ve ever seen.😍

Think he might have something of the Mark Dennis about him. Good. If we going to get beat and if we are going to get spanked a few times at the very least I’d like our right back to mitigate it with some useful skills such as he had shown he clearly has. Especially on clowns like Grealish if he starts doing twenty six stepovers and our boy just goes @ bosh” take that. And it’s not even a foul. Ah I can see it now…

Edited by gio1saints

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Of course, but being back in the Prem it would be a lot cheaper for us to offer him a big pay increase to stay than to sign a replacement with all the associated fees involved nowadays. 

I'm also not following the same line of thought of others that it's a good deal because Downes role is more important than KWP. That may be up for debate either way but even if it is, KWP is one of only a couple players we have that are proven to perform in the Prem (in fact he might be the only one?), so swapping him for a midfielder who is still unproven at this level however good he was in the championship seems ludicrous to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Of course, but being back in the Prem it would be a lot cheaper for us to offer him a big pay increase to stay than to sign a replacement with all the associated fees involved nowadays. 

I'm also not following the same line of thought of others that it's a good deal because Downes role is more important than KWP. That may be up for debate either way but even if it is, KWP is one of only a couple players we have that are proven to perform in the Prem (in fact he might be the only one?), so swapping him for a midfielder who is still unproven at this level however good he was in the championship seems ludicrous to me. 

But what if he just wants a fresh start and a move back to London? It's entirely feasible that an all money can buy offer wouldn't tempt him as he fancies a fresh start, and we may well have had that discussion with him. He has earnt a new start wherever he feels fit in my eyes.

He gave us an extra year last year, it was ridiculous to have a player of his level in that league. He goes with my blessing. Now it's up to the club to ensure that we get the replacement bang on and don't end up with Bree starting.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Closely, as in watching a lot of Norwich games.

Farke played quick, out from the back tactics but making a lot of use out of two rapid attacking full backs, of which Aaron's was one. Those full backs could then supply, often just the one up front, or attacking midfield.  Some of the rest of their midfield contained lumps.

Great when it was working. Opponents struggled to deal with the fullbacks, leaving space for Norwich to exploit.

In the Prem, it was found out a bit. Midfield lumps, protecting iffy centre Halves, with full backs further was exploited. Because they always played out the same way, the full backs were pressed, and it often didn't end well.

When it was all going well Aaron's was being linked to top European clubs. Pressed, and having to rely on defensive skills in a meh side, they died away.

I've not really seen him at Bournemouth. Since they only got him a year or so back, I'd wonder why they'd part with him so soon.

He'd certainly be used to a lot of how we play. Fairly quick, attack minded and can link in with others. If we add that to Russ providing him with a tactic that helps defensively, and gives him options to beat a press, then could work out.

12 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Closely, as in watching a lot of Norwich games.

Farke played quick, out from the back tactics but making a lot of use out of two rapid attacking full backs, of which Aaron's was one. Those full backs could then supply, often just the one up front, or attacking midfield.  Some of the rest of their midfield contained lumps.

Great when it was working. Opponents struggled to deal with the fullbacks, leaving space for Norwich to exploit.

In the Prem, it was found out a bit. Midfield lumps, protecting iffy centre Halves, with full backs further was exploited. Because they always played out the same way, the full backs were pressed, and it often didn't end well.

When it was all going well Aaron's was being linked to top European clubs. Pressed, and having to rely on defensive skills in a meh side, they died away.

I've not really seen him at Bournemouth. Since they only got him a year or so back, I'd wonder why they'd part with him so soon.

He'd certainly be used to a lot of how we play. Fairly quick, attack minded and can link in with others. If we add that to Russ providing him with a tactic that helps defensively, and gives him options to beat a press, then could work out.

I think Martin was still at Norwich when Aarons arrived there as well?  Martin puts a lot of store into character so assume they'd have a decent idea of what he's like and whether he'd be a good fit.

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I think Martin was still at Norwich when Aarons arrived there as well?  Martin puts a lot of store into character so assume they'd have a decent idea of what he's like and whether he'd be a good fit.

Good point.