Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Fuck off mate that’s genius and true in more ways than one

hahahahahaa made me have a good chuckle, feel sorry for bree, personally think he made us more solid when he played on the left than manning, i'd be happy with him covering left and right as needed this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

hahahahahaa made me have a good chuckle, feel sorry for bree, personally think he made us more solid when he played on the left than manning, i'd be happy with him covering left and right as needed this season.

i do too, i dont think he's been that bad. He's obviously no where near the level of Walker-Peters and probably not a premier league player but he's been steady. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

In other exciting news looks like Leicester are imploding somewhat. A possible two rounds of points deductions this season and now linked with losing dewsbury Hall - their best player - in a possible swap deal with Brighton to be replaced but some average polish bloke or possibly he's off to Chelsea. Either way they'd have to be favourites for the drop you'd think. 

Only two more to implode and we're safe for another season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

If we're signing Charlie Taylor as our first-choice left-back and McCarthy as our first-choice goalkeeper then we are skint, surely?

I thought that was pretty common knowledge....

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

If we're signing Charlie Taylor as our first-choice left-back and McCarthy as our first-choice goalkeeper then we are skint, surely?

But for how long... anything can happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Says it’d work out as us giving them Walker-Peters plus cash for Downes 🤯

I read it as being that we would pay a fee for Downes as the two deals would be separate of each other (there are never genuine swap deals for accounting reasons).

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

🤦‍♂️ or perhaps we are going to spend more on certain other positions. I like the Taylor signing, experienced. McCarthy not so much but maybe not first choice anyway. They will want 4 keepers. 

If we get Ghoddos and Fraser for free, then that's good sensible business. No point in spending money just for the sake of it. 

As always we need to judge at the end of the window. Personally, I think we will be very happy at that point if not sooner. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

I think we just witnessed peak Turkish. 

25+ laughing emojis pal, that was when i got 25+ laughing emojis on ONE SINGLE POST. Turkish is the only person who can peak Turkish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

🤦‍♂️ or perhaps we are going to spend more on certain other positions. I like the Taylor signing, experienced. McCarthy not so much but maybe not first choice anyway. They will want 4 keepers. 

If we get Ghoddos and Fraser for free, then that's good sensible business. No point in spending money just for the sake of it. 

As always we need to judge at the end of the window. Personally, I think we will be very happy at that point if not sooner. 

All these free transfers cost money... they'll be on bigger wages and signing on fees because there's no transfer fee attached. Lallana, McCarthy and Ghoddos - all three are pissing money down the drain and shouldn't play more than 10 games each.

Taylor, is he even better than Manning?

Hopefully we'll see some more ambition after the accounts roll over next week.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

All these free transfers cost money... they'll be on bigger wages and signing on fees because there's no transfer fee attached. Lallana, McCarthy and Ghoddos - all three are pissing money down the drain and shouldn't play more than 10 games each.

Taylor, is he even better than Manning?

Hopefully we'll see some more ambition after the accounts roll over next week.

Be honest. You have no fecking idea do you? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Do people forget some of the dross we had to make up the squad last time we had just got promoted? We aren't going to get top class expensive players in every position, we need enough to avoid relegation and getting in experience is obviously important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Do people forget some of the dross we had to make up the squad last time we had just got promoted? We aren't going to get top class expensive players in every position, we need enough to avoid relegation and getting in experience is obviously important. 

Exactly.

Also, of course free agents are likely come through the door first with most contracts expiring on Sunday and a lot less negotiations required. 

33 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Not really - Bazunu will obviously be first choice when he comes back and Charlie Taylor is a very good option for any bottom half PL team. 

Negotiations underway between West Ham and #SaintsFC for Kyle Walker-Peters and Flynn Downes — Kyle Walker-Peters has already said yes to West Ham.

[via 
@FabrizioRomano
]

Fair play, KWP! After staying last season, deserves whatever move he wants.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Negotiations underway between West Ham and #SaintsFC for Kyle Walker-Peters and Flynn Downes — Kyle Walker-Peters has already said yes to West Ham.

[via 
@FabrizioRomano
]

To be honest I'd take that. Right backs are more replaceable than the role Downes plays in our system. 

• Like 3

With the all the free transfer links as well, I don't think it can be understated how important bodies in the door could be.

As it stands today we're set be seven players down on last years first team squad purely from contract expiries and loan returns.  That's about 30% of a typical squad of ~23 players.

Don't get me wrong, if we're sat here in 6-8 weeks and those are the only types of players we are signing I think we're right in the shit.  But as low cost options to add depth and experience (and complement other signings) I'm not particularly upset about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

To be honest I'd take that. Right backs are more replaceable than the role Downes plays in our system. 

Very good point which I totally agree with.

Not sure Aarons is the answer though. Never really seen what all the fuss is about there.

1 minute ago, Mozz said:

With the all the free transfer links as well, I don't think it can be understated how important bodies in the door could be.

As it stands today we're set be seven players down on last years first team squad purely from contract expiries and loan returns.  That's about 30% of a typical squad of ~23 players.

Don't get me wrong, if we're sat here in 6-8 weeks and those are the only types of players we are signing I think we're right in the shit.  But as low cost options to add depth and experience (and complement other signings) I'm not particularly upset about it.

The other thing worth considering although we don't like to think about it. If we do go straight down we should hopefully have some decent championship players who won't be looking to leave immediately for better offers which should mean less upheaval. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

[via 
@FabrizioRomano
]

I thought that he would go to a better club than WHU but if that is what he wants, fair play. Total respect for him staying last season and helping our promotion push.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I thought that he would go to a better club than WHU but if that is what he wants, fair play. Total respect for him staying last season and helping our promotion push.

My thoughts exactly. I would have put money on him going back to Spurs. But to paraphrase your sentiments, if he's happy with this, I'm happy for him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

[via 
@FabrizioRomano
]

I absolutely love KWP and wish him only the best. But I think he should have aimed higher

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I absolutely love KWP and wish him only the best. But I think he should have aimed higher

Maybe he's enjoyed being a big fish in a small pond and whilst wanting to further his career, didn't want to go somewhere where there's a good chance he'd end up a squad player (ie Spurs or Arsenal or Man United)

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My thoughts exactly. I would have put money on him going back to Spurs. But to paraphrase your sentiments, if he's happy with this, I'm happy for him.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Maybe he's enjoyed being a big fish in a small pond and whilst wanting to further his career, didn't want to go somewhere where there's a good chance he'd end up a squad player (ie Spurs or Arsenal or Man United)

Yep. His time here shows he wants to be playing football. Maybe being a squad player at a big club isn't that appealing. Fair play if so. 

12 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

wish KWP the very best, he was good for us in every way, but we were good for him too because when he arrived he was surplus to requirements at Spurs and had never been valued by Mourino who obviously got it wrong. Good luck and thanks!

what do we reckon then, £5m-£10m plus Downes?

£3m for Perrard and DCC, £5m for Lyanco

Do we should be about c£20m in from sales, plus Lallana, Taylor, Fraser, the bloke from Brentford and Harwood-Bellis in for £20m

Decent so far.

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

what do we reckon then, £5m-£10m plus Downes?

£3m for Perrard and DCC, £5m for Lyanco

Do we should be about c£20m in from sales, plus Lallana, Taylor, Fraser, the bloke from Brentford and Harwood-Bellis in for £20m

Decent so far.

The rumour is it's cash plus kwp for Downes. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

No I mean it says we will be paying cash to the hammers as well as kwp. 

really? This cant be true. Downes was values at max £15m, KWP must be at least that is not £20m

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Shit deal if true.

Think it's quite possible given KWP has just 1yr on deal and I find it hard to believe anyone is paying over £20m for a guy with one year left, who spent last season in the Championship and the year before that getting relegated and turns 28 during the season. Downes is three years younger and Saints clearly desperate for him + West Ham have him locked into a longer contract, so it gives them more negotiating room.

Edited by CSA96

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No I mean it says we will be paying cash to the hammers as well as kwp. 

That’ll be a really crap deal if true, but probably inevitable. Difficult to argue Downes is not highly effective for RM’s system and so I guess hands are tied.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Maybe I misread it but that was what I believe it said. 

You are correct.

The text in the Telegraph article is "He has one year left on his contract with Southampton, who would likely also pay a fee for Downes if Walker-Peters were to move to West Ham.  The deals, however, may be structured separately."

• Like 1

Truly terrible deal if that's all we're getting for him. Anything we spend on Downes we should be getting back from selling KWP plus a chunk more, 1 year on the contract or not. Downes has barely played in the premier league, whilst KWP has well over 100 (good) games in the premier league, was in the England squad not too long ago and played in the Champions League.

Downes is key in our system, but is relatively unproven in the Premier League and has some concerns with missing matches last year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mozz said:

You are correct.

The text in the Telegraph article is "He has one year left on his contract with Southampton, who would likely also pay a fee for Downes if Walker-Peters were to move to West Ham.  The deals, however, may be structured separately."

I’m with Dusic, I read that as we pay a fee for Downes whilst West Ham pay a fee for KWP and the deals will be done separately (ironically in a similar way to how KWP arrived in the first place from Spurs, with PEH going the other way). 

Cant see us giving them money and KWP for Downes.

• Like 1

I like the approach we are taking. Getting some experience and old heads in on the cheap it makes sense.

What's the alternative spanking 20-25 on some City youth player ? 

Are West Ham chucking in Ings aswell for the KWP deal ? 🤣

• Like 2