Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, northam soul said:

We are lacking real quality now that Perraud and Lyanco have been sold.

the real all important quality of banging your chest when you make a clearance?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Thats a very good deal we have got there for Lyanco - about £4.3m. Wish him all the best 👍 

He was terrible wasn't he, when we signed him and he referred to himself as the Gorilla I feared the worst. 

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Seriously how the fuck have we got five million euros for him 🤣

I doubt we have, it'll be a low base plus unachievable add ons to make it to 5 mil. 

52 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the real all important quality of banging your chest when you make a clearance?

Knowing he'll do that basically gives his team a 2 goal start. Or something. 

• Like 1

I think there a very solid case than Romano is ruining every transfer window.

He's getting paid to tout players via "interest", talking about youth players and basically attaching himself to every possible transfer before its done.

Don't get me wrong, its great work ethic but fucking hell some of us like the surprise of signing someone instead of "lets feed it to Fab" approach to the modern transfer.

I want clubs to start leaking bullshit to him, turn him into the international version of alex crook.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He's getting paid to tout players via "interest", talking about youth players and basically attaching himself to every possible transfer before its done.

Don't get me wrong, its great work ethic but fucking hell some of us like the surprise of signing someone instead of "lets feed it to Fab" approach to the modern transfer.

I want clubs to start leaking bullshit to him, turn him into the international version of alex crook.

I reckon he is on TransferRoom and just gets the info once its done.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

One thing that seems to get overlooked with Romano is that it's obviously completely unrealistic that any journalist has enough contacts all over the world to know about all of this stuff and all of these transfers, managerial appointments and executive moves - all happening at the same time.

If you look at who he follows on social media, he follows tonnes of other journalists (who aren't mainstream/visible to most football fans) and then rewords and amplifies their info. Like with this Brazilian journalist who has been in the lead on the Lyanco stuff. Most people won't ever spot/care about that, but given the amount of time and effort that goes into building relationships with people in football, there's no way one journalist can ever have this many contacts.

It's why when you see Romano and the likes of David Ornstein or John Percy contradicting each other, you can assume that Romano is wrong. As with the Steve Cooper stuff and a couple of other things this summer so far.

You're right though that now his audience has grown so large, agents and clubs will leak info to him when it suits them. Definitely lots of feeding going on.

He also has a very busy agent of his own, who is making sure to maximise his earnings while he has online fame. So on one hand, fair play to him but on the other hand, you're totally right that it's a false economy and there's lots of nonsense going on now.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I reckon he is on TransferRoom and just gets the info once its done.

or maybe the more simple reason is he's a member of the CoTs wider network?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bree is probably the most obvious player we have that isn't good enough for PL level.

Anyone who was fit last season and started relatively few games is clewrly not going to suddenly boss it in the PL.

Imagine he will be able to get a Championship loan easily enough in August.

Now for yet another elephant in the room...buzz seems to getting stronger regarding Ings in for 5m. Or, of course, could be just those around West Ham playing it up hoping it might come true

Hmmmm...

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Now for yet another elephant in the room...buzz seems to getting stronger regarding Ings in for 5m. Or, of course, could be just those around West Ham playing it up hoping it might come true

Hmmmm...

Thing is.....it's not a transfer fee of 5 or 6 million. It's the wages.  West Ham want to offload his £120k a week. I imagine we'd only sign him if they paid say half(?)  of that for at least the rest of his contract there. Because we'll not pay that much and I very doubt he'd take a pay cut. 

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Bree is probably the most obvious player we have that isn't good enough for PL level.

Anyone who was fit last season and started relatively few games is clewrly not going to suddenly boss it in the PL.

I’d say Bree, Mara, Manning and Sully could all leave with essentially zero detriment to our squad.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Hmmmm...

I haven't seen any serious links. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Hmmmm...

I think it’s far more plausible that if you spend enough time trawling twitter for things you want to be true, you’ll find them in abundance. Thankfully, I’ve not seen anything resembling a serious and credible link to Ings.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d say Bree, Mara, Manning and Sully could all leave with essentially zero detriment to our squad.

Get that Manning isn't highly rated but I do think he is slightly different in that he is still the best LB we currently have, played majority of games last season and therefore would need directly replacing before letting him go. The others I agree just seem easily surplus to requirements.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Who would stand at left back and cover RB if Bree and Manning went? As average as they are, we need them until we get others who are better. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Who would stand at left back and cover RB if Bree and Manning went? As average as they are, we need them until we get others who are better. 

They will need replacing, whether they go now, at the end of august or not at all. None are premier league quality, even as squad options. Obviously we’ll have to sign players to replace them.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

The Peterborough LB is meant to be quite decent as well. Probably not a target for EPL but questionable if any worse than what we’ll have next season out of  Manning & Bree if that’s what we’re left with. 

Harrison Burrows. Heavily linked with Sheff United. Good young player. Two division jump perhaps improbable.

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

They will need replacing, whether they go now, at the end of august or not at all. None are premier league quality, even as squad options. Obviously we’ll have to sign players to replace them.

Then there is a detriment to them leaving, but no detriment when they're upgraded. 

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

If you look at who he follows on social media, he follows tonnes of other journalists (who aren't mainstream/visible to most football fans) and then rewords and amplifies their info.

That's not Romano specificially, that's all the wannabe twitter journalists all scrabbling to be the first to break news. Plenty of them pretty close to home.

Edited by SaintNewForest

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I wonder with us bringing in Charlie Taylor (Allegedly) And Luton losing Giles and probably losing Doherty too that they might test the waters with Manning.

Interesting thought. Does he fit their style? Doesn't feel like a perfect match. Who is buying Doherty? 

30 minutes ago, egg said:

it would be nice if we had a period of buying guys better than what we have and the current guys all becoming reserves and/or departing.  For far too long we seemed to buy guys that we hoped would develop and be the replacement when the better player was sold on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

Hmmmm...

The only buzz I want to hear about ings is him finally realising he needs to shave his hair off

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

The only buzz I want to hear about ings is him finally realising he needs to shave his hair off

And who does he reach out to, for grooming tips? A certain Mr Lallana! You've done it now Convict Colony. Now he has a reason to come here. 🙂

• Haha 2

In other exciting news looks like Leicester are imploding somewhat. A possible two rounds of points deductions this season and now linked with losing dewsbury Hall - their best player - in a possible swap deal with Brighton to be replaced but some average polish bloke or possibly he's off to Chelsea. Either way they'd have to be favourites for the drop you'd think. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In other exciting news looks like Leicester are imploding somewhat. A possible two rounds of points deductions this season and now linked with losing dewsbury Hall - their best player - in a possible swap deal with Brighton to be replaced but some average polish bloke or possibly he's off to Chelsea. Either way they'd have to be favourites for the drop you'd think. 

It’s giving karma.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the actual latest on that? So much uncertainty with Man City having 100+ charges but taking legal action themselves, aren't Leicester also taking Premier League to court? 

Not going to count on that points deduction, will believe it when I see it and even then they'll probably appeal it. They've had a financial windful with compo for Maresca as well might help them balance the books. 

Getting close to that June 30th deadline for some teams to sell players to comply with FFP 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

back off to Luton

3 hours ago, Ken Tone said:

Thing is.....it's not a transfer fee of 5 or 6 million. It's the wages.  West Ham want to offload his £120k a week. I imagine we'd only sign him if they paid say half(?)  of that for at least the rest of his contract there. Because we'll not pay that much and I very doubt he'd take a pay cut. 

H'll have to take a pay cut or retire. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay a player his age with his injury history what he is earning at West Ham.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

What's the actual latest on that? So much uncertainty with Man City having 100+ charges but taking legal action themselves, aren't Leicester also taking Premier League to court? 

Not going to count on that points deduction, will believe it when I see it and even then they'll probably appeal it. They've had a financial windful with compo for Maresca as well might help them balance the books. 

Getting close to that June 30th deadline for some teams to sell players to comply with FFP 

Not sure they will have a leg to stand on given that other clubs have already take it their points deductions. They got 9 million for Maresca which apparently hasn't touched the sides. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

back off to Luton

that would be hilarious. Leaves Luton, joins us gets relegated, they get promoted, we go up, leaves us to go to Luton who have just been relegated. :lol:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, saintant said:

H'll have to take a pay cut or retire. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay a player his age with his injury history what he is earning at West Ham.

West Ham have to...for one more year anyway. He wont be taking a wage cut this year. Either West Ham pay him, a new club pays him or the two combine. If he was offered a three year deal on less wages, he might look at the long term gain, but he ain't taking a 50% cut on a two year deal. He could sit tight and earn that in a year. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

that would be hilarious. Leaves Luton, joins us gets relegated, they get promoted, we go up, leaves us to go to Luton who have just been relegated. :lol:

Headline : Bree-turn of the Prodigal Son. 

• Haha 2