Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

I'm sure it was reported that Liverpool wanted £20m for him!

I've seen £35m mentioned. No idea who is paying that.

2 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Lyanco has gone.

Club receive offers for Lis.

who did he decide to join Athletico-MG or Botafogo?  I read €4.5m fee, which is handy.

• Like 1

Don't know if it's just me but last year I didn't watch 1 premier league game so these players like Taylor I have no idea about, he doesn't sound sexy, Burnley and Taylor sounds like bang average to the idiot fan (yours truly), is he any good or is he only good from an accountancy & squad player perspective?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Don't know if it's just me but last year I didn't watch 1 premier league game so these players like Taylor I have no idea about, he doesn't sound sexy, Burnley and Taylor sounds like bang average to the idiot fan (yours truly), is he any good or is he only good from an accountancy & squad player perspective?

I am like you to it looking at Wikipedia he's been at burnley a very long time. They seem to rate him here: 

https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75837&sid=6deb7746f6be76eacef7cd8ca51c83f7&start=650

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

he's alright isn't he? Decent, experienced player again on a free, left back which we need, 150 or so premier league appearances. Another sensible low risk bit of business.

Is he decent? Dunno, as I have not watched him. He's available on a free and if the best offer he has is Saints, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Is it low risk or low cost? Even with a free transfer there is  risk. Maybe less financially, but the risk is we sign him and not someone else. He turns out to be no good and the other fella we should have signed turns out to be great.

Manning was available on a free last summer and that seemed to be a sensible move, but he turned out to be pretty average to say the least and now we are stuck with hm for another three years.

It's annoying there never seem to be highlights videos of Prem players. Wold be good to see how good he is on the ball. 

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Johnson going to Ipswich (had medical).

Yeah, saw that, and I hadn't appreciated that he was out of contract. That's a very good signing for Ipswich. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is he decent? Dunno, as I have not watched him. He's available on a free and if the best offer he has is Saints, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Is it low risk or low cost? Even with a free transfer there is  risk. Maybe less financially, but the risk is we sign him and not someone else. He turns out to be no good and the other fella we should have signed turns out to be great.

Manning was available on a free last summer and that seemed to be a sensible move, but he turned out to be pretty average to say the least and now we are stuck with hm for another three years.

It's annoying there never seem to be highlights videos of Prem players. Wold be good to see how good he is on the ball. 

Have a read of the Burnley forum. They all rate him and think he's decent. Kompany didn't rate him apparently and played him out of position. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Have a read of the Burnley forum. They all rate him and think he's decent. Kompany didn't rate him apparently and played him out of position. 

Yeah, not a bad word on there. Although not too many words full stop. The only description I saw was `grafter', which doesn't sound overly thrilling, as we had that already with Perraud.

Kompany played him at left back all season and he played 28 out of 38 Prem games. He didn't play left back in their promotion season or nearly as regularly. Did they have a left back out injured last season so that he got games?

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah, not a bad word on there. Although not too many words full stop. The only description I saw was `grafter', which doesn't sound overly thrilling, as we had that already with Perraud.

Kompany played him at left back all season and he played 28 out of 38 Prem games. He didn't play left back in their promotion season or nearly as regularly. Did they have a left back out injured last season so that he got games?

Didn’t they have Maatsen on loan from Chelsea for their promotion season? Just signed for Villa for £35m!

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

There's more if you search for Taylor (and ignore the references to Harwood bellis and Taylor Swift). I didn't see one negative comment which doesn't mean he's a world beater but probably means he's better than what we have. 

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Linked with Liverpool defender Sept Van Der Berg - 23yo CB who can also play full back. Quoting around £15m.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62587/

Were linked with him earlier in the summer, although at that time they were talking £20m, and the player wanted to return to Mainz where he spent last season.

Question whether we’re better off buying big club squad players (cast offs perhaps) rather than from the Championship( Bertrand and Romeu worked out well but that was over ten years ago). We hope he could be a ginger Van Dyke, but going on recent years  scouting we’ll end up with a ginger Hoedt. 

51 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Didn’t they have Maatsen on loan from Chelsea for their promotion season? Just signed for Villa for £35m!

Yes. That explains it.

14 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Georgian keeper MAMARDASHVILI looks the goods

Yeah he is quality. Can confirm. Actually forgot he was Georgian - havn't been watching him at a this tournament so far! 😂🤣

Plays for valencia and under contract until 2027 (just checked), so I doubt we'll be in the market for someone like him sadly. Think he's been linked with Newcastle lately. 

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Were linked with him earlier in the summer, although at that time they were talking £20m, and the player wanted to return to Mainz where he spent last season.

Question whether we’re better off buying big club squad players (cast offs perhaps) rather than from the Championship( Bertrand and Romeu worked out well but that was over ten years ago). We hope he could be a ginger Van Dyke, but going on recent years  scouting we’ll end up with a ginger Hoedt. 

The article seems to imply that he had a good season at Mainz which has obviously put him on the radar and raised his stock (price). Seems a very Saintsy signing.

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah he is quality. Can confirm. Actually forgot he was Georgian - havn't been watching him at a this tournament so far! 😂🤣

Plays for valencia and under contract until 2027 (just checked), so I doubt we'll be in the market for someone like him sadly. Think he's been linked with Newcastle lately. 

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1806213622999249395?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Can’t see us spending €35-40m. Would be a great signing though!

re: Kvaratskhelia & Mamardashvili. Missed the boat on these lads unfortunately. We need to pick them up before going to such teams as Napoli and Valencia.

Mikautadze has looked handy, but that is playing for a team on the counter attack, whereas not sure how we would go in our possession based game. 

Not sure we can tempt or afford players from Ajax but Sutalo looked good, as well as Pavlovic who plays in Austria.

14 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

West Ham after Wan-Bissaka, which may suggest KWP only a back-up for them if that fails?

Would be a very good signing for them in all seriousness. Amazing what happens when you're gifted a 60k stadium.

Could just be "tactics" by west ham to try and pressure a lower offer on KWP to be accepted. Would laugh if it mean united wanted KWP though 😄

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not when we have the mighty Bazunu to come back. 

Best bet if Bazunu is fit towards the end of next season would be to loan him to Portsmouth - get their goal difference down. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Haha 3

Saw something online yesterday that suggested Liverpool and Celtic have missed out on McCarthy as he's signing a contract with us. They were going to sign him as their backup keeper, or at least squad keeper. (that's the story anyway).

If that is true...then he will sign with us to be first choice, as painful as that is to say. He doesn't turn down the opportunity to be backup at Liverpool or Celtic to be backup here.

I still hope with everything that it doesn't happen (thanks for McCarthy for what he did at the end of the season though - but that's where it needs to end for me, on a high). The clubs goalkeeping decisions over the last 10 years have been absolutely bonkers though.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Saw something online yesterday that suggested Liverpool and Celtic have missed out on McCarthy as he's signing a contract with us. They were going to sign him as their backup keeper, or at least squad keeper. (that's the story anyway).

If that is true...then he will sign with us to be first choice, as painful as that is to say. He doesn't turn down the opportunity to be backup at Liverpool or Celtic to be backup here.

I still hope with everything that it doesn't happen (thanks for McCarthy for what he did at the end of the season though - but that's where it needs to end for me, on a high). The clubs goalkeeping decisions over the last 10 years have been absolutely bonkers though.

I suspect you're right but he may also be thinking he doesn't want to unsettle his family just to sit on the bench elsewhere.  Or it could have just been paper talk.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I suspect you're right but he may also be thinking he doesn't want to unsettle his family just to sit on the bench elsewhere.  Or it could have just been paper talk.

Yeah this is just as likely. He's from Guildford and, aside from a couple of brief loan spells at Leeds and Ipswich earlier in his career, he's pretty much stayed at clubs in London and the south.

At this stage of his life he just might not fancy relocating to Glasgow or Merseyside. 

12 hours ago, Saint86 said:

If that's the case that might make Dubravka available, who would be a quality upgrade on Mccarthy/Bazanu.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah this is just as likely. He's from Guildford and, aside from a couple of brief loan spells at Leeds and Ipswich earlier in his career, he's pretty much stayed at clubs in London and the south.

At this stage of his life he just might not fancy relocating to Glasgow or Merseyside. 

Just an easy life letting in goals for us. Massive mistake. Buy a decent goalkeeper, Saints! Break the habit of the last decade

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c5111jg2r3yo

Good artical on how some clubs are fudging the PSR/ FFP rules. Player swaps are being used to inflate income.

If KWP is wanted by WH or Tot, could we "player swap" with them as they have players we want?

Theorerically we could sell onachu for 20 mill on the books but recieve 15 mill in players, leaving buying clud with a 5mil outlay, we infalted sell price, they infalted sell price, we can all book better financials as that income from selling is booked as profit, where as the buying is amoratised over time.

Are we playing this game or are we one of the clubs complianing its not fair?

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

5 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c5111jg2r3yo

Good artical on how some clubs are fudging the PSR/ FFP rules. Player swaps are being used to inflate income.

If KWP is wanted by WH or Tot, could we "player swap" with them as they have players we want?

Theorerically we could sell onachu for 20 mill on the books but recieve 15 mill in players, leaving buying clud with a 5mil outlay, we infalted sell price, they infalted sell price, we can all book better financials as that income from selling is booked as profit, where as the buying is amoratised over time.

Are we playing this game or are we one of the clubs complianing its not fair?

Gotta wonder if this keeps happening that they'll change how the accounts are actually worked out over a 3 year period.

Would the Premier league change it so the books only show what you have received in player sales amortised instead of the full fee.

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Best bet if Bazunu is fit towards the end of next season would be to loan him to Portsmouth - get their goal difference down. 

He should be able to drag them to division one, as he did to us to championship. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

We must keep KWP if at all possible, he was our best player by a mile last season, and has much EPL experience.  The last thing we want is to go in to the season with Bree............. (relegation for sure)

And yet Bree was better than Manning in my opinion (in fact better than a number other players), however there’s every chance he gets to play under RM?

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

And yet Bree was better than Manning in my opinion (in fact better than a number other players), however there’s every chance he gets to play under RM?

Yup I think consensus was that Bree >Manning on last seasons evidence. 

Im not sure that technically Bree is the superior player across various KPI’s - manning can probably cross better, dribble better, run faster for instance - but in a very important one he was. 
That important one was defensive positioning.

Mannings offensive mindset / propensity to attack meant that on breakdown he / Saints were often exposed down that flank. The same might be said of KWP - except KWP is a way superior player who caused more problems for defenders than forwards caused him - and breakdowns if and when they occurred could not be as devastating because opposition generally tried to double up on him when he ran with ball. Teams actively played to use the gaps Manning left on his flank and would often switch it accordingly. 
Manning also had a strong tendency to “ tuck in” and give his opponents the flanks - and the space to run. Bree seemed to have higher propensity to her physically closer and shut down danger quicker.  
Theoretically with a back five RM should be better - but in a more conventional back four you’d want Bree imo. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Bree was better for that little period in Dec, then he got injured. When he came back into the side after that he was horrifically bad.

His performance at Ipswich stands out for maximum level incompetence. He was perfectly ok for a squad backup as a Champ team, but if we're honest he should be nowhere near a PL squad. He was signing to appease Jones, much in the same way Carrillo was signed to appease MP. Let him head off to Charlton or something.

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bree was better for that little period in Dec, then he got injured. When he came back into the side after that he was horrifically bad.

His performance at Ipswich stands out for maximum level incompetence. He was perfectly ok for a squad backup as a Champ team, but if we're honest he should be nowhere near a PL squad. He was signing to appease Jones, much in the same way Carrillo was signed to appease MP. Let him head off to Charlton or something.

A right-sided Ryan Dixon.

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And much in the same way Manning was signed to appease RM. Bree may not be the answer, but that means Manning is even less so IMO.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Just an easy life letting in goals for us. Massive mistake. Buy a decent goalkeeper, Saints! Break the habit of the last decade

Not signing a decent GK for the season ahead (as opposed to one mainly for the future) will be on par with not signing a striker for Ralph in 2022 in terms of the club’s failure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

And much in the same way Manning was signed to appease RM. Bree may not be the answer, but that means Manning is even less so IMO.

Oh for sure, don't disagree with you on that one either. Think he needs replacing too if we're to offer any competitiveness at PL level.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 15:14, Wadge said:

As well as Ronnie Edwards we are trying to sign Hector Kyprianou.

The Peterborough LB is meant to be quite decent as well. Probably not a target for EPL but questionable if any worse than what we’ll have next season out of  Manning & Bree if that’s what we’re left with. 

• Like 1