Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

@S-Clarke has already answered this for me.

My understanding is that over the 3 year period (which will include the lower threshold for the championship year) we have ended up in a position where we can’t spend what we want to, without breaking the FFP rules. If we were to sell KWP for say £25m and then sign a £10m replacement on a 4 year contract, that would be £2.5m per year amortised plus wages (which you’d expect would be less than KWP was earning), plus the £25m counting in full for this years numbers. The other factor is him walking for nothing next summer, that then makes replacing him much harder.

In order to stay within the FFP rules, we will need to generate cash to go straight into the bottom line, freeing up the ability to improve the team in all required areas and spreading those costs over their contracts. The flip side is that selling your best player makes you weaker and the gamble of replacements being good enough. We could effectively be losing Che, Stu and Alex all for £0, all need replacing somehow. what we don’t know is exactly how much money we have to spend but after Downes, THB and Fraser come in, I can’t imagine there is much wiggle room left without sales. It’s so backwards as rules designed for fair competition are actually making it absolutely impossible for us to ever be a consistent top 8 team.  

This is why I'm not stressed at all about the finances. We haven't got a clue. We are pretty sure we are not paying £60m on a player, but my gut feeling is that we are not as tight as some are saying after the amount we had coming in.

I'm sure KWP knows he can get a decent offer here and first team football, but also decent offers elsewhere

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

This is why I'm not stressed at all about the finances. We haven't got a clue. We are pretty sure we are not paying £60m on a player, but my gut feeling is that we are not as tight as some are saying after the amount we had coming in.

I'm sure KWP knows he can get a decent offer here and first team football, but also decent offers elsewhere

He's probably ready for a new challenge too. 4 1/2 years is a decent service, He's 27 so realistically this is going to be his chance to get a decent move and big contract to see him into his 30's. Been a good loyal player, if he stays great, if he doesn't then good luck to him

• Like 19

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

This Goalkeeper situation is quite the conundrum. 

Re-signing Alex may include a join fee (or loyalty bonus?) plus an extended contract ( presumably 2-3 years) - and wages (which were £50k pw) so at least same - but maybe more? 

Given nobody took up Alex over several windows the season before and he ended up not even being in our match day squads before the final five games his state of preparation and professionalism shown in those matches was a testimony to his character. I’d go as far as to say his presence and performances may have been the difference between promotion and another year in the Championship. 

I say that without slight on Gav who kept goals throughout our unbeaten run lest we forget, yet it was clear that towards latter part of season his levels dropped. I’ve my own theories on that but blunt fact is Gavs XG was poor for a supposed best gk in the league. Alex just showed what he can bring to the team. For me that was a mentally fit solid back to basics  approach less trying to be the best footballing gk in the world. 

But is it better to keep Alex or bring in a new goalie? 

My personal view is that it’s time Saints bought a top goalie - but if we kept Alex on I get it, but I’d be subdued, disappointed - but still supportive. 

In what wold do we offer him a new contract on more money at his age! That would be insane.

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

My understanding is that over the 3 year period (which will include the lower threshold for the championship year) we have ended up in a position where we can’t spend what we want to, without breaking the FFP rules. If we were to sell KWP for say £25m and then sign a £10m replacement on a 4 year contract, that would be £2.5m per year amortised plus wages (which you’d expect would be less than KWP was earning), plus the £25m counting in full for this years numbers. The other factor is him walking for nothing next summer, that then makes replacing him much harder.

In order to stay within the FFP rules, we will need to generate cash to go straight into the bottom line, freeing up the ability to improve the team in all required areas and spreading those costs over their contracts. The flip side is that selling your best player makes you weaker and the gamble of replacements being good enough. We could effectively be losing Che, Stu and Alex all for £0, all need replacing somehow. what we don’t know is exactly how much money we have to spend but after Downes, THB and Fraser come in, I can’t imagine there is much wiggle room left without sales. It’s so backwards as rules designed for fair competition are actually making it absolutely impossible for us to ever be a consistent top 8 team.  

Top 8 team is hopefully the plan moving forward but I’m confident the plan for this season is to avoid relegation ( obviously) and without too much pain. 
Financial stability and I still reckon there’s money in the pot. 
Whatever the moany narrative is last season was remarkable a broken team was resurrected and we made playoffs. 
I cannot believe that we will allow all that hard work slip away for a season of circling around the plughole. 
it’s seems we are a team that players are keen to play in. Downes is staying. No one has actually left yet. 
sure a long way to go but again fairly confident the bulk of the squad will be sorted by the time pre season. 
Russell Martin has a whole summer to prepare. For a good chunk at the beginning he still didn’t have a proper idea who he had available. 

No doubt I will get the usual comments but why don’t people get at least I’m genuinely optimistic I’m not damaging the forum ( I’ve been around this forum and even the early versions of it for a very long time ) and it’s a harmless alternative view surely it’s a lot better than jumping on every sign of weakness. 
I mean FFS the time Martin refused to shake the hand of some goalkeeper posters were screaming and shouting. Certain posters couldn’t wait to put the boot in.

While Im here the new limited edition Play Off football shirt is rank. I’m not a football shirt wearer but actually liked the black shirt as did  the players.

Which of course reminds me of all the pathetic weeping and wailing because we should have been wearing red and white shirts at the final.Yet again whingeing for the sake of it . 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He's probably ready for a new challenge too. 4 1/2 years is a decent service, He's 27 so realistically this is going to be his chance to get a decent move and big contract to see him into his 30's. Been a good loyal player, if he stays great, if he doesn't then good luck to him

I think he is probably the best buy of the last five years although Lavia and Livramento did produce sizeable profits

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Forester said:

Baz is a write off for the season, if he is fit for later in season it’s a bonus.   Even if he was fit, in my opinion he is not top class needed.  So retain McCarthy as number two, sign a top keeper as number one

I agree sign a top keeper as #1 but You do realise McCarthy is already on £50k pw?

There is no alternate universe in which the reward for promotion to the EPL for the starting goalie is a pay cut. And it follows that even if you retain him as the back up his salary stays at least the same - and the new #1 is going to be on more. 
I personally do not think we can justify spending say, £150k pw on four goalies. ( new GK, Alex, Gav and Lumley). That’s one too many and Alex is the obvious heaviest wage to chuck off the balloon so to speak. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, manji said:

Top 8 team is hopefully the plan moving forward but I’m confident the plan for this season is to avoid relegation ( obviously) and without too much pain. 
Whatever the moany narrative is last season was remarkable a broken team was resurrected and we made playoffs. 
I cannot believe that we will allow all that hard work slip away for a season of circling around the plughole. 
it’s seems we are a team that players are keen to play in. Downes is staying. No one has actually left yet. 
sure a long way to go but again fairly confident the bulk of the squad will be sorted by the time pre season. 
Russell Martin has a whole summer to prepare. For a good chunk at the beginning he still didn’t have a proper idea who he had available. 

No doubt I will get the usual comments but why don’t people get at least I’m genuinely optimistic I’m not damaging the forum ( I’ve been around this forum and even the early versions of it for a very long time ) and it’s a harmless alternative view surely it’s a lot better than jumping on every sign of weakness. 
I mean FFS the time Martin refused to shake the hand of some goalkeeper posters were screaming and shouting. Certain posters couldn’t wait to put the boot in.

While Im here the new limited edition Play Off football shirt is rank. I’m not a football shirt wearer but actually liked the black shirt as did  the players.

Which of course reminds me of all the pathetic weeping and wailing because we should have been wearing red and white shirts at the final.Yet again whingeing for the sake of it . 

Agree this season’s objective is survival! 8th would seem to be the best we can ever hope for with the current financial rules and that would admittedly be some achievement if we were to get back there in the coming seasons. The question is how do we get the financial wiggle room to build a team to get there

Owners seem to be willing to invest but won’t want any points deductions. It feels like we need to get lucky on recruitment and make some big money to be back in the net spend trophy 1st place, essentially what Brighton have been doing and we did under Koeman.

This season is going to be a tough one, but your optimism is always welcome!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, egg said:

Good post, although I can't agree with the criticism of not getting him tied down to a new contract. It's completely unrealistic to have expected him to commit to a new deal when we were odds on for relegation, and then in the championship. Him going this window is inevitable, and I wish the lad well. 

I get that to an extent but feel we always seem very slow off the mark on it and I have lost count of the amount of players we have ended up being forced into selling for fairly modest fees because they end up with 1 year left.

You can pretty much tell after 6 months whether a player is going to be really good for us or not so would hope we look to reward those types with a pay rise and add another year on. Bournemouth did this recently with Solanke and now he has supposedly a 65m release clause that puts them in the driving seat. Brighton before they were established gave Dunk a new contract pretty much every season. Its definitely possible to be more proactive in this regard and I think its cost us quite a lot of cash over the last 10 years.

We end up having players like KWP who prove themselves as v good PL players, in their prime, who we end up then having to sell for the same kind of cash it costs us to sign a replacement who is usually totally unproven and also has no time to adapt. That isn't a recipe for either financial or on field success.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Thanks for the explanation, however that still doesn’t explain how keeping KWP on a contract that suits both parties has any clear detrimental effect on FFP compliance. It assumes that signing a new RB of equal ability at least, will cost significantly less than the funds we get for KWP and still allow new players to be signed. That’s a massive assumption and risk. Having said that, we are a selling club and that’s how we’ve operated previously, but I’m not convinced there’s a FFP imperative.

As many have previously said, the problem with the approach is a continual decline in overall squad quality leading to a potential decline in results etc. Russ will find his tactics mercilessly exploited in the EPL trying to get lesser players perform like Man City. Our squad is not exactly brimming over with EPL quality, so I really do fear for the season ahead if we’re to sell our best players who can work in the system and keep deadwood players on the books out of some kind of loyalty.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Clarity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forester said:

Baz is a write off for the season, if he is fit for later in season it’s a bonus.   Even if he was fit, in my opinion he is not top class needed.  So retain McCarthy as number two, sign a top keeper as number one

Personally I reckon he’s a write-off entirely (although the club will not allow that due to the investment). His agility was always questionable, but with the injury he’s picked up it will take a lot of work to get back to anywhere near EPL standard and the likelyhood is the injury will impede that. If we get relegated again he might get a look in I suppose.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forester said:

I disagree.  I think we need to sign two more top class full backs, so Manning leaves and Bree becomes number four.  KWP able to play both flanks.  Loan out Larios and Meghoma

You might disagree but in my view it's completely unrealistic to have two top quality right backs on high wages in our squad given the need for reinforcements elsewhere. If KWP stays then we need to be signing a decent LB to play on the other side, not signing a RB and then shunting over the player to play out of position. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I get that to an extent but feel we always seem very slow off the mark on it and I have lost count of the amount of players we have ended up being forced into selling for fairly modest fees because they end up with 1 year left.

You can pretty much tell after 6 months whether a player is going to be really good for us or not so would hope we look to reward those types with a pay rise and add another year on. Bournemouth did this recently with Solanke and now he has supposedly a 65m release clause that puts them in the driving seat. Brighton before they were established gave Dunk a new contract pretty much every season. Its definitely possible to be more proactive in this regard and I think its cost us quite a lot of cash over the last 10 years.

We end up having players like KWP who prove themselves as v good PL players, in their prime, who we end up then having to sell for the same kind of cash it costs us to sign a replacement who is usually totally unproven and also has no time to adapt. That isn't a recipe for either financial or on field success.

The simple point is that it's not our choice whether a player extends his deal. We may have tried to tie him down, who knows, but there came a point when it plainly wasn't going to happen. I don't think we end up giving away more players than other clubs anyway. Plenty of clubs have to, it's just one of the harsh realities of the game. 

13 minutes ago, egg said:

The simple point is that it's not our choice whether a player extends his deal. We may have tried to tie him down, who knows, but there came a point when it plainly wasn't going to happen. I don't think we end up giving away more players than other clubs anyway. Plenty of clubs have to, it's just one of the harsh realities of the game. 

I agree, and we have been successful renewing contracts early in the past, with McCarthy, for instance…

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Personally I reckon he’s a write-off entirely (although the club will not allow that due to the investment). His agility was always questionable, but with the injury he’s picked up it will take a lot of work to get back to anywhere near EPL standard and the likelyhood is the injury will impede that. If we get relegated again he might get a look in I suppose.

Agreed. Lets so many goals in where he does an invisible act. Distribution is fine but even here there are howlers. And McCarthy will similarly drop us lots of points. Saints, we need to spend a bit to get a decent keeper. IT'S AN IMPORTANT POSITION! When will we EVER learn?

• Like 1

Weirdly in some ways you’re better off spending more money, (but smartly) so not pissing it all on one player but players for key positions, and suck it up and take a four point deduction in a years time.

FFP is absolutely fucked as it is.

• Like 1

Burnley forum 

🚨 Heard from a few different sources now that Charlie Taylor is due to leave Burnley at the end of his current contract and join Southampton. 

Was hoping for better …..

1 minute ago, BILLY said:

Burnley forum 

🚨 Heard from a few different sources now that Charlie Taylor is due to leave Burnley at the end of his current contract and join Southampton. 

He was a mercenary at Leeds, But why wouldn't a player who's played in the premier league, who's still capable want to step down to the championship for less wages.

Heard it was a 2 year deal, with a option of a 3rd.

1 minute ago, BILLY said:

Burnley forum 

he's alright isn't he? Decent, experienced player again on a free, left back which we need, 150 or so premier league appearances. Another sensible low risk bit of business.

• Like 3

I might be swimming against the tide here but I'm hoping for fewer signings than most appear to be on this thread.  Some of the shopping lists seem to suggest seven, eight , even nine changes to the starting line up.  To me that is an incredibly high risk strategy in terms of the tightness of the squad but also learning the way we play.

There was a togetherness about the squad last year that I think is worth more than we might imagine.  And a resilience to bounce back from two poor runs of form to get promoted - with some ease it has to be said.  

So the only upgrades I'd hope for are probably goal keeper, left back and striker.  It's great we got THB and hopefully Downes and Fraser to follow.  We've already signed Lallana which I was a bit 'meh' about but happy to trust RM's judgment on.  Che will need replacing (assuming he doesn't stay, which I am ambivalent about).  I don't think McCarthy is the answer either as first choice or (because of wages) back up.  I'd like to see if ABK has matured (physically, technically and attitude) because there is a cracking player in there somewhere.  And I'd be very happy if Alcatraz can be reintegrated.  Sulemana is the big unknown but as others have said, still open to improvement and likely to fancy the Premier League more than a proper English division. Obviously if KWP goes he needs replacing.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I might be swimming against the tide here but I'm hoping for fewer signings than most appear to be on this thread.  Some of the shopping lists seem to suggest seven, eight , even nine changes to the starting line up.  To me that is an incredibly high risk strategy in terms of the tightness of the squad but also learning the way we play.

There was a togetherness about the squad last year that I think is worth more than we might imagine.  And a resilience to bounce back from two poor runs of form to get promoted - with some ease it has to be said.  

So the only upgrades I'd hope for are probably goal keeper, left back and striker.  It's great we got THB and hopefully Downes and Fraser to follow.  We've already signed Lallana which I was a bit 'meh' about but happy to trust RM's judgment on.  Che will need replacing (assuming he doesn't stay, which I am ambivalent about).  I don't think McCarthy is the answer either as first choice or (because of wages) back up.  I'd like to see if ABK has matured (physically, technically and attitude) because there is a cracking player in there somewhere.  And I'd be very happy if Alcatraz can be reintegrated.  Sulemana is the big unknown but as others have said, still open to improvement and likely to fancy the Premier League more than a proper English division. Obviously if KWP goes he needs replacing.

Or alternatively our first team or squad isn't good enough to compete in the premiership and buying old, shite like Lallana and Ings isn't going to help that when we already have a shite Left Back, questionable CB, no CB cover (no Stephens isn't good enough), no creative midfielder, no real options on the wing, no striker who can score goals outside of the championship, no back-up striker.

Oh and I forgot to mention we need a GK as well because our first choice is our second choice, and our first choice is both injured and statistically the worst in the division below.

Genuinely, not trying to start an argument with you either, and I agree with squad togetherness etc is important, but my God we need some players and those that are being touted, and some that are here already, aren't the answer.

Edited by Greedyfly
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Not sure fourth and play-offs counts as "some ease".

• Like 1

WOW !...the list of players we have been  "connected with " on various sites has now passed ..30 (thirty). ..oops now 31. 

What a great squad we could have .. come August, although we might run out of shirt numbers. (haha)

The bad news is ..they are not all free transfers ... and we might have to pay a fee for some of them....(sad)

Ah well,  maybe they will have to draw lots every week to see who gets a bench place.  

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talk is cheap. In terms of essentials we’ve yet to sign Downes and Fraser, get linked with/sign a decent goalkeeper, get linked with/sign a decent LB, get linked with/sign a decent striker.  In terms of bench you can bet Lallana and Manning will be getting some splinters.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

Or alternatively our first team or squad isn't good enough to compete in the premiership and buying old, shite like Lallana and Ings isn't going to help that when we already have a shite Left Back, questionable CB, no CB cover (no Stephens isn't good enough), no creative midfielder, no real options on the wing, no striker who can score goals outside of the championship, no back-up striker.

Oh and I forgot to mention we need a GK as well because our first choice is our second choice, and our first choice is both injured and statistically the worst in the division below.

Genuinely, not trying to start an argument with you either, and I agree with squad togetherness etc is important, but my God we need some players and those that are being touted, and some that are here already, aren't the answer.

As I said, I realise I'm swimming against the tide.  You've mixed in some stuff I agree with and some stuff we part company on.  I've highlighted the latter.

33 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Not sure fourth and play-offs counts as "some ease".

I meant that the last four games, two v Leeds and two v West Brom, after the massive disappointment of missing out on auto-promotion, we actually looked relatively comfortable and by far the better side

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Need a decent keeper - McCarthy not good enough.  Should make a statement and go for Caoimhin Kelleher

I'm sure it was reported that Liverpool wanted £20m for him!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Really?? you don't think the club are capable of writing off a player that cost millions less than previous complete write offs? I give you Carrillo, Tall Paul and i could go on. It's got bugger all to do with investment, the club rate Baz (wrongly or rightly) 

I personally believe the club made a great mistake relying on such a young and inexperienced keeper and pretty much throwing him under the bus because until he got injured they really believed McCarthy was a lesser keeper. Baz may yet become an extremely good goalkeeper, he is very young for a keeper and has time on his favour.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, manji said:

Do you mean a couple of people on here saying it's a shame we're not wearing home colours at Wembley..?  

44 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Baz may yet become an extremely good goalkeeper, he is very young for a keeper and has time on his favour.

Surely to become an extremely good goalkeeper you have to have some basic skills like being able to stop shots, deal with crosses etc. Didn't see much of that from him last season, you can be Messi like with your dribbling skills in the penalty area but unless you can stop a few shots here and there you are never going to make any sort of gk.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wadge said:

As well as Ronnie Edwards we are trying to sign Hector Kyprianou.

Bizarre links. I'd be surprised to see either of those happen. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Kwp linked to West ham. Wonder if we would consider Downes and 10 million for kwp? 

There's got to be a deal to be done there. I'd take Downes and Ben Johnson as a swap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

There's got to be a deal to be done there. I'd take Downes and Ben Johnson as a swap. 

I'm resigned to losing kwp. I think we coukd strengthen in areas of the pitch that have a greater influence on the overall result. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I'm resigned to losing kwp. I think we coukd strengthen in areas of the pitch that have a greater influence on the overall result. 

Yep, sad as it'll be to see him go, if we can use West Ham's interest to our advantage, that's as good as we can do. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Kwp linked to West ham. Wonder if we would consider Downes and 10 million for kwp? 

With one year left? They’ll probably go for roughly the same price, wherever either of them end up.

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Lyanco has gone.

Club receive offers for Lis.

If we get a fee then surely Lis is the very epitomy of Player Trading.

A very SR signing!

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Really?? you don't think the club are capable of writing off a player that cost millions less than previous complete write offs? I give you Carrillo, Tall Paul and i could go on. It's got bugger all to do with investment, the club rate Baz (wrongly or rightly) 

I personally believe the club made a great mistake relying on such a young and inexperienced keeper and pretty much throwing him under the bus because until he got injured they really believed McCarthy was a lesser keeper. Baz may yet become an extremely good goalkeeper, he is very young for a keeper and has time on his favour.

Yes write off as far as an EPL team is concerned. He’s crocked and by the time he’s ready to make any form of comeback (if his injury actually allows it) we might relegated again, or looking to kick on and consolidate our place in the Prem. I’ll wager he’ll not come back at 100% his previous form, even if that previous form was the worst in the Championship! There’s no denying it - the lad’s aspirations to be a top level keeper are over.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, bugenhagen said:

I agree, and we have been successful renewing contracts early in the past, with McCarthy, for instance…

In general, the players happy to renew contracts at SFC are probably players we shoudn't be offering new contracts to.