Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

As much as I think KWP has been brilliant for us, a really good signing, do people really think he’s good enough for a top six premier league side? 

Absolutely. He would be a fine addition to the squad for say....Spurs..Man U (I know they are not technically top 6 right now)

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, DT said:

Euro News: 

Team with shocking player up front who can't score goals goes out of tournament.

Glad we're not having to sell Che Adams for big money.

Like the look of Sugawawa for the defence. Wonder if Yoshi is advising us/will join us in a coaching role 

Trained with us last summer didn’t he ?

35 minutes ago, Appy said:

As much as I think KWP has been brilliant for us, a really good signing, do people really think he’s good enough for a top six premier league side? 

Think someone like Brighton is probably around his level. 

I put him in the same bracket as Bertrand and Clyne. Really good full-backs, perhaps too good for us, but not good enough to consistently start for a top six side. There were moments last season in the Championship where KWP was caught defensively, for example and that wouldn't be forgiven in the top six.

Should do what Bertrand done and see his contract out with us until he's past it. ;) I'd also be disappointed if he went to a Brighton, or one of the other mid-table sides who we should now again be looking to compete with.

• Like 1

Has the suggested Sugawara talks been reported anywhere else? The Dutch media are usually pretty ITK about what happens in their bigger clubs so if anything were that advanced I would imagine they would be mentioning it. Maybe the fact the likes of Alfie House havent said its not the case make it more likely.

Not to say there isn't truth to it. And he seems like the type of signing thats probably realistic for us.

Edited by Dusic

45 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Has the suggested Sugawara talks been reported anywhere else? The Dutch media are usually pretty ITK about what happens in their bigger clubs so if anything were that advanced I would imagine they would be mentioning it. Maybe the fact the likes of Alfie House havent said its not the case make it more likely.

Not to say there isn't truth to it. And he seems like the type of signing thats probably realistic for us.

Just checked a few of the sites and they are all rehashing the same story we've seen, not too much independent reporting.

Saw Inter were potentially interested to replace Dumfries.

Can’t believe people are disappointed about Perraud.

Just because the second worst defensive left-back I’ve ever seen was currently alongside the worst, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and improve. Genuine liability.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Just because the second worst defensive left-back I’ve ever seen was currently alongside the worst, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and improve. Genuine liability.

I trust you missed Lee Todd then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The detriment is that we need to effectively strengthen the team and we won't have the necessary funds to do so to the degree we will need to without some significant money in. KWP is in the last year of his contract and is probably our main sellable asset who could generate a reasonable amount of cash and full back is historically not as big a loss as say a top striker, CB or CM. It may be that we don't sell him and persuade him to sign a new contract but it would surprise me as he would be a top earner and would possibly prevent us from maximising the quality in the rest of the squad. 

I’m not sure KWP for all his worth to us, will bring in enough money to strengthen the squad…it will effectively weaken it IMO by taking out our best player and introducing two more who are potentially not as good. It is the basic flaw in the transfer policy…continually weaken the overall quality of the team until eventually we get relegated. So no, there’s no detrimental effect regarding FFP by retaining KWP if that’s possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

This is the originating article. 

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/soccer/news/2024/06/24/kiji/20240624s00002000012000c.html

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I put him in the same bracket as Bertrand and Clyne. Really good full-backs, perhaps too good for us, but not good enough to consistently start for a top six side. There were moments last season in the Championship where KWP was caught defensively, for example and that wouldn't be forgiven in the top six.

Should do what Bertrand done and see his contract out with us until he's past it. ;) I'd also be disappointed if he went to a Brighton, or one of the other mid-table sides who we should now again be looking to compete with.

He consistently looked like he was enjoying himself last season, which was nice to see, but there were indeed quite a few mind the gap and banana skin moments.  You are right about him getting crucified at the franchise clubs if that happened. I think it's 50/50 he stays at Saints and much will depend if it looks like we can maintain a bit of positive momentum into this season, hope he does as a really good fit for us.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m not sure KWP for all his worth to us, will bring in enough money to strengthen the squad…it will effectively weaken it IMO by taking out our best player and introducing two more who are potentially not as good. It is the basic flaw in the transfer policy…continually weaken the overall quality of the team until eventually we get relegated. So no, there’s no detrimental effect regarding FFP by retaining KWP if that’s possible.

We simply don't have the resources to keep all our best players and strengthen to the required standard. KWP is the easiest person to sell so imo he's the most likely of our first team squad to go but I hope he doesn't. I won't be in the least bit surprised if he does though for the reasons I outlined. Yes FFP necessitates sales. 

49 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Japan national team defender Sugawara Yusei is most likely to transfer to Southampton, another Moriyasu Japan player to join the world's strongest league

[ June 24, 2024 03:00]

It was revealed on the 23rd that Southampton, which has decided to return to the English Premier League after one year, is the most likely destination for Japanese national team defender Sugawara Yusei (23) of Dutch first division AZ Alkmaar. According to sources, Southampton highly values Sugawara, who has a proven track record in Europe. With one year left on his contract with AZ, the two clubs have been negotiating the transfer fee behind the scenes, and if an agreement is reached, the transfer is likely to be completed.

Sugawara signed with AZ in June 2020 at the age of 19, and has continued to grow with each passing season. In his fifth season in 2023-2024, he made a leap as an offensive right back, scoring a career-high four goals. He has also established himself as a member of the Japanese national team, and has attracted attention from several European clubs, including Serie A's prestigious Inter Milan.

In the past, Southampton has had former Japanese national team defender Yoshida (LA Galaxy) and midfielder Minamino (Monaco) on its roster. Most recently, forward Takaoka Reiha (17) from Nichisho Gakuen (Miyazaki) has just been confirmed to join the team. In 2023-2024, the team was relegated to the second division for the first time in 12 seasons, but after a playoff, they were able to return to the first division in just one year.

AZ has already acquired defender Maikuma Akiya (26) from Cerezo Osaka in preparation for the departure of Sugawara. If Sugawara joins Southampton, he will join Endo, Tomiyasu, Mitoma and Kamada on the pitch of the world's strongest league next season.

◇ Sugawara Yukinari Born June 28, 2000, 23 years old, from Toyokawa City, Aichi Prefecture. A product of Nagoya's youth academy, he started in the opening match of 2018 at the age of 17 years, 7 months and 27 days, the second youngest player in J1 history at the time. He moved to AZ Alkmaar on loan in July 2019, and made a permanent transfer in July 2020 on a five-year contract. He made his debut for the Japanese national team in October 2020 against Cameroon. He has scored one goal in 13 international A matches. He is 179 cm tall and weighs 69 kg. He is right-footed.

The above is stuck through google translate. Gives some useful extra detail - 2nd youngest ever J1 player & 13 caps for Japan 👍

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It's worth remembering that he was pretty poor during our relegation season, which perhaps explains why no one made us an offer too good to turn down.

Slightly different now, with only a year left, but we are probably not going to get a fortune for him. What kind of figure do we accept, as it's not good news if he walks for free next summer.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

It's worth remembering that he was pretty poor during our relegation season, which perhaps explains why no one made us an offer too good to turn down.

Slightly different now, with only a year left, but we are probably not going to get a fortune for him. What kind of figure do we accept, as it's not good news if he walks for free next summer.

If we got 25 for him and bought this other guy for 15 you've made 10 million. That's how the club will see it anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Japan national team defender Sugawara Yusei is most likely to transfer to Southampton, another Moriyasu Japan player to join the world's strongest league

It was revealed on the 23rd that Southampton, which has decided to return to the English Premier League after one year, is the most likely destination for Japanese national team defender Sugawara Yusei (23) of Dutch first division AZ Alkmaar.👍

I didn't know you could just choose to return to the Premier League.

We should remember that next time instead of all this play off malarky.

• Haha 8

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we got 25 for him and bought this other guy for 15 you've made 10 million. That's how the club will see it anyway. 

Alternatively, the club will see it along the lines of, sell him now and we have 25m to reinvest, wait twelve months and we have to find his replacement on a free (or certainly without funds coming in).  I'm sure the manager would want to keep him, and add genuine competition, but we don't exactly hold all the cards.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Appy said:

Think someone like Brighton is probably around his level. 

I think he's above Brighton, personally.

Could see him heading to a club on the up such as Villa. Champions League football to offer next season too

33 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

It was revealed on the 23rd that Southampton, which has decided to return to the English Premier League after one year, is the most likely destination for Japanese national team defender Sugawara Yusei (23) of Dutch first division AZ Alkmaar. According to sources, Southampton highly values Sugawara, who has a proven track record in Europe. With one year left on his contract with AZ, the two clubs have been negotiating the transfer fee behind the scenes, and if an agreement is reached, the transfer is likely to be completed.

Sugawara signed with AZ in June 2020 at the age of 19, and has continued to grow with each passing season. In his fifth season in 2023-2024, he made a leap as an offensive right back, scoring a career-high four goals. He has also established himself as a member of the Japanese national team, and has attracted attention from several European clubs, including Serie A's prestigious Inter Milan.

In the past, Southampton has had former Japanese national team defender Yoshida (LA Galaxy) and midfielder Minamino (Monaco) on its roster. Most recently, forward Takaoka Reiha (17) from Nichisho Gakuen (Miyazaki) has just been confirmed to join the team. In 2023-2024, the team was relegated to the second division for the first time in 12 seasons, but after a playoff, they were able to return to the first division in just one year.

AZ has already acquired defender Maikuma Akiya (26) from Cerezo Osaka in preparation for the departure of Sugawara. If Sugawara joins Southampton, he will join Endo, Tomiyasu, Mitoma and Kamada on the pitch of the world's strongest league next season.

◇ Sugawara Yukinari Born June 28, 2000, 23 years old, from Toyokawa City, Aichi Prefecture. A product of Nagoya's youth academy, he started in the opening match of 2018 at the age of 17 years, 7 months and 27 days, the second youngest player in J1 history at the time. He moved to AZ Alkmaar on loan in July 2019, and made a permanent transfer in July 2020 on a five-year contract. He made his debut for the Japanese national team in October 2020 against Cameroon. He has scored one goal in 13 international A matches. He is 179 cm tall and weighs 69 kg. He is right-footed.

The above is stuck through google translate. Gives some useful extra detail - 2nd youngest ever J1 player & 13 caps for Japan 👍

I am glad that we decided to rejoin the  Prem again....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

You never watched Danny Fox play then?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I think he's above Brighton, personally.

Could see him heading to a club on the up such as Villa. Champions League football to offer next season too

Lots of talk of Matty Cash going to Milan, so maybe an opening.

1 hour ago, Secret Site Agent said:

I didn't know you could just choose to return to the Premier League.

We should remember that next time instead of all this play off malarky.

Are we obliged to accept promotion? Could we have just said to Leeds at fulltime "Nah, you have it?"

• Haha 2

Callum Wilson is A player that might be on our radar if we get to the end of window with no replacement for Che and are rather desperate ( you know what I mean no reflection on that good player).  

Callum Wilson is in the last year of his contract at Newcastle and according to The Athletic might be available. He obviously knows how to score in the EPL. My guess is his fee might be c£10m though transfermkt put it at £12m. He is 31/32 years old - though his current wages are higher but not madly so than what we’d like. He is certainly a goalscoring upgrade on Che though. Not an obvious one for now but if we have not got an experienced EPL goalscorer (that’s not Danny Ings) signed up by late in the window he may enter into the thinking. I think he might work well in our set up - and we are obviously in process of finalising the RF deal with NUFC so there are good comms in place. Not totally unfeasible. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Callum Wilson is A player that might be on our radar if we get to the end of window with no replacement for Che and are rather desperate: 

Callum Wilson is in the last year of his contract at Newcastle and according to The Athletic might be available. He obviously knows how to score in the EPL. My guess is his fee might be c£10m though transfermkt put it at £12m. He is 31/32 years old - though his current wages are higher but not madly so than what we’d like. He is certainly a goalscoring upgrade on Che though. Not an obvious one for now but if we have not got an experienced EPL goalscorer (that’s not Danny Ings) signed up by late in the window he may enter into the thinking. I think he might work well in our set up - and we are obviously in process of finalising the RF deal with NUFC so there are good comms in place. Not totally unfeasible. 

I think that this is a good call. It is the type of player that could help reestablish ourselves in the Premier league. The usual concerns remain: his age, he has been injury prone and £10m is a lot for someone of his age and with only 1 year left on his contract. However, as you say in your last line, it isn't totally unfeasible......

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Callum Wilson is A player that might be on our radar if we get to the end of window with no replacement for Che and are rather desperate ( you know what I mean no reflection on that good player).  

Wilson is on well over £100k per week (signed a £100k deal in 2019/20 and has signed two more since) so I don’t see how he can be a target whatsoever. Even at 50% of that he’d be one of the very highest earners at Saints - perhaps the highest?

20 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Wilson is on well over £100k per week (signed a £100k deal in 2019/20 and has signed two more since) so I don’t see how he can be a target whatsoever. Even at 50% of that he’d be one of the very highest earners at Saints - perhaps the highest?

Perhaps the highest injury record too. 

• Like 1

£110k pw apparently and has interest from Saudi.Nobody knows what Che is asking for but it might not be far off £100k pw on a free. Plus a loyalty bonus. Prob 7 figure. 

The actual financial difference is probably less than £8m but in return you get a proven epl goalscorer- which che was not. 

If the choice was Che or Callum but you need pay £8m more if you want Callum I think most pragmatic ( not romantic) Saints would say do it. 

13 hours ago, kjurwi said:

That's Perraud gone. Good luck to him.

Like Real Betis...I was in Seville when they beat Valencia in the Copa del Rei final a couple of years back. Insane weekend and I still have the Real scarf.

Very unlikely we could get Wilson I would think.  He'd have other suitors at that price (if it's even true he's up for sale).  Proven 10+ goals a season player though 

51 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

that's the going rate for a premier league striker. 47 goals in 95 games for Newcastle is a very decent record. Buy cheap you buy twice, Adams and Armstrong only got 29 premier league goals between them across twice as many games. Bet their combined wage is more than £100k a week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

that's the going rate for a premier league striker. 47 goals in 95 games for Newcastle is a very decent record. Buy cheap you buy twice, Adams and Armstrong only got 29 premier league goals between them across twice as many games. Bet their combined wage is more than £100k a week.

I completely get this train of thought. However it was easier to persuade Che & Arma to come to Saints than it will be to get your average consistent PL striker down here.

(Callum Wilson is possibly an easier one because having been at Bournemouth he may well still have some ties here?)

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I completely get this train of thought. However it was easier to persuade Che & Arma to come to Saints than it will be to get your average consistent PL striker down here.

(Callum Wilson is possibly an easier one because having been at Bournemouth he may well still have some ties here?)

this is where we've gone wrong in the past, trying to be clever, thinking of resale value rather than what job they can do now. Buying cheap and buying twice. I want us to bring in a core of experienced, proven players to give us a solid base then we can blend the youngsters in with them. It was no surprise our best seasons have been when we've had an experienced spine, players like Fonte, Bertrand, Steven Davis, Shane Long who had all been around a while, then blend them in with a mix of younger players and decent signings.

The centre back situation was ridiculous when we were in the premier league last time, we were crying out of a captain/leader figure but we must have spunked getting on for £70m on shit players hoping they'd be the new Van Dijk when Fonte left, you cant tell me between 2017 and 2023 there wasn't a single proven premier league centre back available for less than £10m we could have signed who would have filled his gap.

Callum is not the only fish in the  EPL experienced goal scoring striker sea but his record compared to our current striker (s) is pretty clear. He is the kind of experienced goal scoring striker Saints should at least be considering to replace Che. 
There are others in similar categories and price/ salary ranges -  so that’s our marketplace imo for this key position. No cheap options and no unproven - we already have three strikers at saints who are unproven at epl level ( 4 + if you count the kids) so the next one needs to have insta-cred, imo. 

Edited by gio1saints