Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

On the face of it seems like a quality signing and we wouldn't be able to justify having him and KWP so you're probably right. 

That's a shame. I can only think we've offered KWP a new contract and he's not accepted it so we're cashing in on him now rather than losing him on a free next year. I really wanted to see KWP play for us again in the Prem but perhaps it isn't to be.

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Unless we’re going KWP on the left to save money

EXtremely unlikely, KWP has only one year left on his contract so if we want c £40m for him we've got to sell him now. We can buy two half decent players for that sort of money.

I don't want him to go but seems inevitable with our finacial situation. 

10 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

We had Livramento and KWP for a while.

As mentioned KWP might switch for a while.

Could also be being brought in as a WB if we're switching to a 5.

That might mean, it's someone like Bree who wants to move on.

More than likely KWP is off.

28 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

EXtremely unlikely, KWP has only one year left on his contract so if we want c £40m for him we've got to sell him now. We can buy two half decent players for that sort of money.

With 1 year left on his contract we'll be lucky to get £15m for KWP. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

With 1 year left on his contract we'll be lucky to get £15m for KWP. 

Upwards of £25m I'd have thought, but no much more than that.

It's a shame that we have to look at ways to 'balance the books', not so much because we're skint, but just so we have the movement to add to the team - but to do that, we have to weaken it first. Absolutely bonkers rules and it needs to change. There is no 'fair' in this at all.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No way will we get anything like that for him

• Like 1

Current transfermkt valuation is £20M. 
I personally see that as a bargain because as FB’s go I see many who are inferior to him starting in the EPL most weeks.
IF he goes into final year without a contract extension his valuation will drop by the month. I think Saints will be doing all they can to make him sign that extension ( and salary increase) but probably asked encouraged to do so with a release fee clause probably at £25m - or higher so if a big eight comes in he can leave. 
Would be a pity but KWP signing the extension would be his last gift to Saints and I’m sure all would wish him well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Current transfermkt valuation is £20M. 
I personally see that as a bargain because as FB’s go I see many who are inferior to him starting in the EPL most weeks.
IF he goes into final year without a contract extension his valuation will drop by the month. I think Saints will be doing all they can to make him sign that extension ( and salary increase) but probably asked encouraged to do so with a release fee clause probably at £25m - or higher so if a big eight comes in he can leave. 
Would be a pity but KWP signing the extension would be his last gift to Saints and I’m sure all would wish him well. 

I suspect we prevented him moving last summer simply because we set a pretty high sale price refused any low-ball bids from Prem sides. I'd be amazed if half the Prem didn't drop his agent a line and ask what the asking price was likely to be. This summer our price will inevitably have to come down as he enters his final year and those same Prem sides may feel that revised price is more reasonable/realistic. 

From KWPs point of view, there seems little point in signing a new contract now. He may as well sit tight and see what league we are in next summer.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a shame that we have to look at ways to 'balance the books', not so much because we're skint, but just so we have the movement to add to the team - but to do that, we have to weaken it first. Absolutely bonkers rules and it needs to change. There is no 'fair' in this at all.

the whole point of it is to keep the big clubs safe so we dont get another Man City situation. It's fair for them and that's all they care about. 

• Like 4

KWP contract expires 30/6/25. 
if he’s worth £20m today then that’s probably the highest he’s going to be. 
IF saints lose him for nothing next summer that’s a massive gamble. 
It’s entirely in Saints interest to extend his contract. The only way that might succeed is with 💰because he’s not going to win medals and trophies at Saints so - increase his base salary - AND give him a loyalty bonus for doing so. 

His current salary is £36k and was £50k last time in the EPL. 

I think Saints ( hypothetically) might be pitching a three year deal by a double your salary line to him- to £72k plus a loyalty fee bonus of say £3m paid in three yearly instalments. PLUS a release fee of > or = to £25m. So he’s able to leave but only to a financially strong club. 
If that was the package I’d hope KWP would strongly consider staying where he’s loved and sign up. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

At £10-15m there would no point selling given the quality of player you lose but at £20-25m it starts creating FFP headroom to buy. I believe KWP’s buyback clause is £30m which Spurs were reluctant to pay last summer but somewhere between £20-25m is more doable and Ange likes him. The FFP workaround might be for Spurs to chip a little bit off Rodon’s fee, as we are clearly keen on him, and that overall envelope would probably cover the RWB from AZ.

I agree though that FFP and especially PSR is idiotic and needs to go. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

KWP contract expires 30/6/25. 
if he’s worth £20m today then that’s probably the highest he’s going to be. 
IF saints lose him for nothing next summer that’s a massive gamble. 
It’s entirely in Saints interest to extend his contract. The only way that might succeed is with 💰because he’s not going to win medals and trophies at Saints so - increase his base salary - AND give him a loyalty bonus for doing so. 

His current salary is £36k and was £50k last time in the EPL. 

I think Saints ( hypothetically) might be pitching a three year deal by a double your salary line to him- to £72k plus a loyalty fee bonus of say £3m paid in three yearly instalments. PLUS a release fee of > or = to £25m. So he’s able to leave but only to a financially strong club. 
If that was the package I’d hope KWP would strongly consider staying where he’s loved and sign up. 

PS that offer would cost saints c £13-£14m over 3 years assuming KWP left in a free at the end if 3 years. Compared to costing us £20m next summer if he leaves. 
It just shows that, sadly, there is financially a lot of room for manoeuvre and it’s nothing to do with kicking a ball around a pitch but all about market trading skill. The winning clubs are the best at the latter.

Edited by gio1saints

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Man Utd are interested in KWP. 

They'd be mad not to be. Relatively affordable, experienced and a decent player. I was amazed no one took him last year. 

• Like 3

What happens with KWP could be the most revealing move of the SR owners mindset. 

My personal view is that they will sell KWP at a strong price this window. And replace him with one or two relatively unknown fB’s who fulfil the moneyball criteria. Either frees low fees or unknowns. 

nb. Something that supports that was the success of RF as a wingback. Playing 3CB’s allows for offensive FB’s so players like rf, Rm,Sam Amo, Larios, Bree less so benefit. Sam and Kameldeen not so 😀

Edited by gio1saints

I have no expectation that KWP will stay, would be amazing if he did.  He's been a great servant, but if he gets another crack towards the top of the league and we get a decent amount of money for him, then you can't complain really. I would be disappointed if we got anything less than 25m for him though. That peanuts for a player of his quality.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

What happens with KWP could be the most revealing move of the SR owners mindset. 

My personal view is that they will sell KWP at a strong price this window. And replace him with one or two relatively unknown fB’s who fulfil the moneyball criteria. Either frees low fees or unknowns. 

I don't think it will tell us much about their mindset. It makes complete sense to sell him now rather than push to keep what would the be a player on incredibly high wages in the face of solid interest from a top prem team. Any sensible owner of a club of our stature would do the same. Obviously that changes if he asks to stay or something but I can't see it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Well if there’s truth in the Japanese LB story it doesn’t take a magical crystal ball to predict what is likely to happen. The fact he’s likely to sign early in the window suggests RM has asked for the maximum amount of pre-season time with the lad to bring him on-board with the system and so mitigate as far as possible the effects of KWP leaving. If KWP is allowed to leave that does indicate there’s been little change to the manner in which SR operates - sell mature, experienced pro’s and buy young, cheap, unknown potential stars. Now, having said that, I’m not convinced KWP wants to go so until he’s sold I’ll retain hope that he’ll sign a new contract.

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

I suspect we prevented him moving last summer simply because we set a pretty high sale price refused any low-ball bids from Prem sides. I'd be amazed if half the Prem didn't drop his agent a line and ask what the asking price was likely to be. This summer our price will inevitably have to come down as he enters his final year and those same Prem sides may feel that revised price is more reasonable/realistic. 

From KWPs point of view, there seems little point in signing a new contract now. He may as well sit tight and see what league we are in next summer.  

I guess that would depend on what the new contract offer looks like? If he's offered significantly more money, that would be a reason not to sit tight for another year.

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

It’s not so much the going out on loan I have an issue with it’s the downing tools in our relegation season. ABK wasn’t up for the fight, he disappeared a few times with mystery injuries when the going get tough. We’re going to be in a relegation battle this season I don’t think he’s the sort of character we want in the squad. 

I think he had a shoulder injury. There was also that awful and incorrect attack on him by the Non league ex saint saying he was faking injury.

Having a frozen shoulder and knowing the pain that it gives, I can assure you that mentally it would be difficult to play fully committed until you have the confidence it has repaired. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I think he had a shoulder injury. There was also that awful and incorrect attack on him by the Non league ex saint saying he was faking injury.

Having a frozen shoulder and knowing the pain that it gives, I can assure you that mentally it would be difficult to play fully committed until you have the confidence it has repaired. 

Indeed. I had one for over three years after my chest operation. It didn’t clear up until I had the infected wire in my sternum removed. It affects your whole breathing with the movement of the ribs restricted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Well if there’s truth in the Japanese LB story it doesn’t take a magical crystal ball to predict what is likely to happen. The fact he’s likely to sign early in the window suggests RM has asked for the maximum amount of pre-season time with the lad to bring him on-board with the system and so mitigate as far as possible the effects of KWP leaving. If KWP is allowed to leave that does indicate there’s been little change to the manner in which SR operates - sell mature, experienced pro’s and buy young, cheap, unknown potential stars. Now, having said that, I’m not convinced KWP wants to go so until he’s sold I’ll retain hope that he’ll sign a new contract.

Given the constraints of FFP, it's not about a change of mindset, it's what every club in our position would do regardless of the owner. 

• Like 2

It’s crazy that we kept KWP in the championship and he could now be moving to a club in the top 6. For giving us a year in the championship and playing a big role in our promotion, he would leave with my blessing. Not that I remotely want him to leave. Sugawara seems to be of reasonable calibre, loves a slide tackle and perhaps stronger defensively than KWP. We will miss his close dribbling, it gets us up the pitch so often. Just technically so good.

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Given the constraints of FFP, it's not about a change of mindset, it's what every club in our position would do regardless of the owner. 

I hope you are wrong and I hope my fears wrong also.

Another issue connected to that is the knock on effect on our other potential purchases and renewals. 

IF KWP gets sold this window and replaced say internally or by this Japanese left back nobody has really heard of, how much less likely is Flynn to want to come back to a weakened squad ? Or Alex to re-sign? Or Che? 
I think at least one statement of intent signing ( or contract extension agreed in the case of KWP) is required - and that’s not including Flynn THB or even the return of Stu, Che or Alex. I’m not sure Adam is that signing though there’s an argument to say it is/was so if Saints are good enough for him they are good enough for xyz player perhaps. Somehow I think one more is needed. A star goalie perhaps? 

Newcastle and Spurs both interested in Alcaraz. Bella-Kotchap wants a new challenge. KWP in his final year. Sulemana and Onuachu surplus to requirements. Stu gone, Che and Macca going? Perraud to Betis, DCC to Lyon, Lyanco to wherever. 

You’d hope that would go some way to giving us some freedom in the FFP numbers to bring in a new GK, CB, RB, LB, CDM, AM and CF. 11 out, 7/8 in?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Another issue connected to that is the knock on effect on our other potential purchases and renewals. 

IF KWP gets sold this window and replaced say internally or by this Japanese left back nobody has really heard of, how much less likely is Flynn to want to come back to a weakened squad ? Or Alex to re-sign? Or Che? 
I think at least one statement of intent signing ( or contract extension agreed in the case of KWP) is required - and that’s not including Flynn THB or even the return of Stu, Che or Alex. I’m not sure Adam is that signing though there’s an argument to say it is/was so if Saints are good enough for him they are good enough for xyz player perhaps. Somehow I think one more is needed. A star goalie perhaps? 

Right-back

linked with the premier league for the last two windows.

likes a cross and a goal.

Just show Flynn this.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I think you're panicking over nothing. It's early in the window with no idea who or what we are going to go for. Losing someone like KWP with FFP is IMO an inevitability because it allows us to strengthen in other areas. This Japanese RB seems like a really promising signing with good pedigree, dismissing him because no one has heard of him would be like dismissing Mane because lots of people didn't know who he was. Just because a player isn't as well known doesn't make him a poor signing. 

It was remarkable that we got a season out of KWP in the championship, IF he now goes then he will leave with the thanks of every fan and IMO there's no indication of what else we will or won't do if he goes. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think you're panicking over nothing. It's early in the window with no idea who or what we are going to go for. Losing someone like KWP with FFP is IMO an inevitability because it allows us to strengthen in other areas. This Japanese RB seems like a really promising signing with good pedigree, dismissing him because no one has heard of him would be like dismissing Mane because lots of people didn't know who he was. Just because a player isn't as well known doesn't make him a poor signing. 

It was remarkable that we got a season out of KWP in the championship, IF he now goes then he will leave with the thanks of every fan and IMO there's no indication of what else we will or won't do if he goes. 

Sugawara does look like a classic Saints signing with some potential benefits:

Unsexy nationality & league = good value

Coming into his peak years

Japanese culture suggests a head down, work hard mentality (just like KWP & Yoshida)

Seems to like a raised cross more than KWP - might suit Ross Stewart?

He looks great in the videos; but there does seem to be quite a reliance on slide tackles and we know PGMOL in their attempts to destroy the game are coming down harder on them...

Would love for KWP to re-sign, but if we were replacing him this guy could put a smile on our faces

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
stuff
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Don’t profess to know all the ins and outs of FFP (PSR) but I’m not sure retaining KWP on a new contract will be to our detriment in terms of its restraints. If you think so, perhaps you could explain?

Incidentally, Sugawara looks to be a bit of a talent and doubt he’ll be signed without an assurance of 1st team football. I notice he appears to be two-footed so perhaps the thinking is KWP and he can interchange flanks depending on who we’re facing. Then there’s Manning and Bree as backups for both positions. Meghoma (sp?) probably has a year or two more development before pushing for a 1st team place.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

57% chance of Messi signing?

GQ1hOwPWIAAG09c.jpeg

I think II Kerulet UFC play tyro league equivalent youth football, so I am ever so slightly concerned about the accuracy of this probability figure.

1 minute ago, Master Bates said:

Shame - I thought he was one of our better players in our relegation season, and would be a good asset this season. Certainly looked like he put the effort in and carried an actual threat going forward. Better than Manning, but guess we have someone else coming in.

Don’t think anybody is panicking at the possibility of losing kwp but I’m not sure everyone is as sanguine as @hypochondriac about him leaving and potentially being replaced by a defender with s as showreel who may be the next Mane. Or may not. 

Im certain most Saints fans would rather kwp sign a new extended contract and want RM et al to be highly resistant to the idea of selling him. 

It might seem a no brainer to you for him to be sold but I still think there’s a strong financial case for him extending and us getting at least another year in the EPL out of him before SR cash in. 

The “cost to change” is not just the money banked versus what’s spent on his replacement. The last two FB’s brought in under SR on the cheap have hardly set the world on fire - Bree and Manning - and both came with decent reps- so selling our best player for another gamble full back may not be as cute a move as it seems. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Don’t profess to know all the ins and outs of FFP (PSR) but I’m not sure retaining KWP on a new contract will be to our detriment in terms of its restraints. If you think so, perhaps you could explain?

Incidentally, Sugawara looks to be a bit of a talent and doubt he’ll be signed without an assurance of 1st team football. I notice he appears to be two-footed so perhaps the thinking is KWP and he can interchange flanks depending on who we’re facing. Then there’s Manning and Bree as backups for both positions. Meghoma (sp?) probably has a year or two more development before pushing for a 1st team place.

The detriment is that we need to effectively strengthen the team and we won't have the necessary funds to do so to the degree we will need to without some significant money in. KWP is in the last year of his contract and is probably our main sellable asset who could generate a reasonable amount of cash and full back is historically not as big a loss as say a top striker, CB or CM. It may be that we don't sell him and persuade him to sign a new contract but it would surprise me as he would be a top earner and would possibly prevent us from maximising the quality in the rest of the squad. 

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Don’t think anybody is panicking at the possibility of losing kwp but I’m not sure everyone is as sanguine as @hypochondriac about him leaving and potentially being replaced by a defender with s as showreel who may be the next Mane. Or may not. 

Im certain most Saints fans would rather kwp sign a new extended contract and want RM et al to be highly resistant to the idea of selling him. 

It might seem a no brainer to you for him to be sold but I still think there’s a strong financial case for him extending and us getting at least another year in the EPL out of him before SR cash in. 

The “cost to change” is not just the money banked versus what’s spent on his replacement. The last two FB’s brought in under SR on the cheap have hardly set the world on fire - Bree and Manning - and both came with decent reps- so selling our best player for another gamble full back may not be as cute a move as it seems. 

He might not want to sign a new extended contract. I know it's hard to believe, but if someone like Man United come in for him then he might view their status and trebling of his wages as something desirable. Any transfer could be described as a gamble by that logic. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think II Kerulet UFC play tyro league equivalent youth football, so I am ever so slightly concerned about the accuracy of this probability figure.

Red arrow maybe indicates no chance

Euro News: 

Team with shocking player up front who can't score goals goes out of tournament.

Glad we're not having to sell Che Adams for big money.

Like the look of Sugawawa for the defence. Wonder if Yoshi is advising us/will join us in a coaching role 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

good but now with Alcaraz injured i wonder if that will change

I think if Alcaraz is injured it's even more imperative we bring in another midfielder! 😁

But seriously I don't think the Alvarez injury would have changed anything regarding Downes. Remember also clubs this summer mostly need to sell to buy - us buying Downes means West Ham can invest in someone else. FFP or whatever they call it now will play a big part in every club's transfer dealings this summer.

As much as I think KWP has been brilliant for us, a really good signing, do people really think he’s good enough for a top six premier league side? 

Think someone like Brighton is probably around his level. 

• Like 1