Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

£12M will be an initial fee. There will be additional add-ons based on appearances, England cap (Kalvin Phillips replacement Mr Southgate?) etc.

Just get it done. If we sign him our chances of staying up massively improve.

It’s very rarely that simple, unless someone is in a particular hurry to sell.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Flynn Downes might not be worth £20M to some but he's a player who made our team tick last season, the risk of bring ing in someone who hasn't played under our manager is that they won't click. Compared to the other £20M players we've signed its a no brainer in my eyes.

Yep that's exactly my point. I have no doubt he's worth that much to us. 

21 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Saints are interested in Rick Karsdorp.

Agent talk - on big wages and Roma trying to shift him and Kumbulla https://romapress.net/roma-struggling-to-find-suitors-for-rick-karsdorp-marash-kumbulla/

29, 12 months left on his deal. I wouldn’t, unless it was a free transfer with Roma paying 50% of the first year’s wages. 

Mourinho had a public go at him which escalated nastily after a poor performance https://www.givemesport.com/what-happened-to-as-romas-rick-karsdorp-after-jose-mourinho-bust-up/

Risky one, if true, would need to look into his injury record. Better going forward than defensively, might work if Martin plays a back five most games to offer width assuming the club don’t want KWP to walk away in 2025 on a free, or as competition. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Let pull up his youtube to help @Chez get us banza, i like him, he's bigger than i thought and looks clinical at least.

Ai stats and comparison of who he is like https://scoutingstats.ai/player/simon-banza-3586/

Scouting report from 2022 https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/simon-banza-bragas-french-talisman-in-attack-2/

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Can you imagine if we were signing a 25 year old defensive midfielder with about 100 championship appearances, 60 league 1, 10 league 2 and 20 prem, who has spent last year in championship side who finished 4th, wasn't player of the season and we were paying £20m...people would go nuts on here!

I would love us to keep him but he isn't worth anywhere near £20m surely?

Maybe so but I think this sums up why the new West Ham manager wont be that fussed about keeping him, he'll surely be looking for a much higher profile player to add to his team/squad. I might be wrong of course 😂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Nixon also adds that Sunderland would want around £15million to £20 million for Patterson while the Saints would prefer to do business at about half of those prices.

This line made me laugh. 

• Haha 1

I’m sure we won’t be going for Karsdorp - a player with attitude problems and high wages.

Downes deal sounds promising.

Not opposed to Patterson from Sunderland, don’t really know enough about him, no doubt because he’s from the UK though his price is probably £5-10M inflated for what he’s worth.

Not opposed to Jack Clarke either, seems half decent. Again see British transfer valuation.

I also saw it was Nixon so very much take the latter two with a pinch of salt. 😂😂

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 3

I'll have another go at the team based on rumours and possibles 

Patterson 

Kwp Rodon THB Sessegnon 

Downes new cm

Armstrong Clarke

New AM 

Bereton Diaz

Would people take that? I'd say we need a new AM obviously and a Smallbone alternative but otherwise that's looking good with maybe Ghoddos, Lallana and Fraser in the squad and probably an alternative to Armstrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Also @Chez as your the king of the left backs who can cross, who you recommending for us this summer ?

To be honest I don't watch enough football. Omar Richards is my only suggestion. He was tremendous at Reading, was always going to struggle to get games Bayern Munich, but he did OK. Obviously he's had a nightmare with injuries, but he appears to be back on track. Like KWP he has the skill, to drop his should come inside and get out of tight spots. That gives you a chance to beat the press. 

Very interested to hear of other recommendations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Has anyone mentioned Jack clarke? That's who I'd like to sign from Sunderland given the chance. 

He seems very Lallana-like. Lacks a yard of pace but has lovely feet. Looks like he wants to have the ball all the time. Not sure we have that type of player, so ideal addition. Obviously a slight concern whether he can have the same impact a the higher level, but thats the gamble we will have to take,

• Like 2

Got to remember we need to spend £35-£40m just to stand still, aka signing our best players for last season on permanent deals. Wonder how much we will really have left after that to then improve the team. 

hopefully we can get a bit of cash for ABK, Alcarez, Tall Paul and co to cover most of the stand still outlay leaving some more to bring in some of the name mentioned. We seem to be using the free agent market wisely which is no bad thing for a bit of experienced squad depth. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Got to remember we need to spend £35-£40m just to stand still, aka signing our best players for last season on permanent deals. Wonder how much we will really have left after that to then improve the team. 

hopefully we can get a bit of cash for ABK, Alcarez, Tall Paul and co to cover most of the stand still outlay leaving some more to bring in some of the name mentioned. We seem to be using the free agent market wisely which is no bad thing for a bit of experienced squad depth. 

Well if Tottenhams interest is true in Alcaraz then hopefully we can push the fee to £30Million.

• Haha 2

Clarke is the one to go for. No idea how likely it is that we get him but he's clearly their best player. 

If you type Jack Clarke and Southampton there’s pages of it, saying for £15m and Wolves also interested, but the player would apparently prefer Saints. Clearly there’s been interest there from the club for a while. May be that Callum O’Hare, another player strongly-linked, is key here as out of contract, but more clubs in the equation both domestically (Villa, Wolves, Leeds, Burnley) and overseas (La Liga and Bundesliga). Saints rumoured to be front of the queue there as well, but can’t see us signing both unless I’m wrong.

I like Alcaraz but the £30m swap deal with Rodon sounds too good to be true and it’s from Nixon. If it was, then the CB area could be ticked off, although Jan only has 12 months on his contract so maybe not, but he seems a lot happier.

Swap deals were more of a 1990s/early 2000s thing, the ones for Saints which stick out are Bridge/Le Saux (which would have been OK if Lowe had bought a younger LB in 2004) and Davies/Beattie (the club did extremely well out of that one). Maybe with the FFP biting they are coming back but with the huge wage and complex packages these days they still seem unlikely. 

Ghoddos and the guy at Fulham seem sensible if they come off. KWP contract is vital - probably a low release (£20-25m) if he did sign another but a bit of protection if we went straight down.

Edit - Gustavo Hamer at Sheff Utd, 27 tomorrow though and the Blades have their parachute payments. Straight out of a decent PL campaign, apparently their POTS, but would potentially cost more than Clarke and doesn’t suit the SR sell on model. O’Hare 26 but no fee. Clarke is younger than both (25?).

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Article suggesting Rodon + £20m from Spurs for Alcaraz. Seems unlikely given a) that valuation of Alcaraz, b) these player + cash deals rarely seem to happen in reality, c) it’s Nixon and d) it’s Spurs, but you have to think we’d take their hand off if that actually was offered.

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned Jack clarke? That's who I'd like to sign from Sunderland given the chance. We've been linked to their keeper but he looks quite average to me. 

Has anyone not mentioned Jack Clarke 🙂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think they will if we need money to buy. 

He still has 4 years on his deal, and were pushing Juve for 38Million buy option. Charly, if Spurs want him can definitely push for 30. 

They'll definitely go for that top if we do indeed want to buy Rodon for around 10 also.

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He still has 4 years on his deal, and were pushing Juve for 38Million buy option. Charly, if Spurs want him can definitely push for 30. 

They'll definitely go for that top if we do indeed want to buy Rodon for around 10 also.

I'd take Rodon and 10.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well if Tottenhams interest is true in Alcaraz then hopefully we can push the fee to £30Million.

This is Levy we’re dealing with….probably end up paying Spurs £30m to take him off our hands.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Article suggesting Rodon + £20m from Spurs for Alcaraz. Seems unlikely given a) that valuation of Alcaraz, b) these player + cash deals rarely seem to happen in reality, c) it’s Nixon and d) it’s Spurs, but you have to think we’d take their hand off if that actually was offered.

I'd but their hand off if that's true. Rodon is decent and could be a superb partner to THB. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No one could seriously think that Levy and Spurs are going to pay that for Alcaraz. 

I agree, but I'd take it if true! I think we'll find it hard to offload the lad, unless it's another loan. 

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No one could seriously think that Levy and Spurs are going to pay that for Alcaraz. 

Seems you think everyone else can play hardball with Saints but we have to roll over and have our tummy tickled.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

He seems very Lallana-like. Lacks a yard of pace but has lovely feet. Looks like he wants to have the ball all the time. Not sure we have that type of player, so ideal addition. Obviously a slight concern whether he can have the same impact a the higher level, but thats the gamble we will have to take,

I can think of one player we have who’s very Lallana-like!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, saintant said:

Seems you think everyone else can play hardball with Saints but we have to roll over and have our tummy tickled.

No I'm dealing with a reality where we have significantly less resources than a much bigger club like spurs, have to deal with Levy who is notoriously difficult to negotiate with and Alcaraz is clearly a player we would prefer to get cash for given the chance. 

I find the Charly situation all a bit odd really. In the last 6 months of our ill-fated PL life, he was our standout. The one player who broke the line, carried the ball, scored a decent chunk of goals from CM in 6 months. It was a significant coup that we retained him for the Championship, I just never felt we used him right or enough. I will admit that he can be a bit frustrating with regards to retaining the ball, which is probably his death-knell as far as Martin is concerned...but he can still offer a lot more if pushed higher up and closer to the CF. His running with the ball on break aways, in space, will be a hugely valuable asset next season when our posession stats inevitably tank through the floor. (I hope the club are prepared for that)

I think we'd be silly to let him go, he's shown he can operate at this level as we'll see by PL clubs wanting him - let's not cut our nose off here, we already have a goalscoring midfielder in the ranks.

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I find the Charly situation all a bit odd really. In the last 6 months of our ill-fated PL life, he was our standout. The one player who broke the line, carried the ball, scored a decent chunk of goals from CM in 6 months. It was a significant coup that we retained him for the Championship, I just never felt we used him right or enough. I will admit that he can be a bit frustrating with regards to retaining the ball, which is probably his death-knell as far as Martin is concerned...but he can still offer a lot more if pushed higher up and closer to the CF. His running with the ball on break aways, in space, will be a hugely valuable asset next season when our posession stats inevitably tank through the floor. (I hope the club are prepared for that)

I think we'd be silly to let him go, he's shown he can operate at this level as we'll see by PL clubs wanting him - let's not cut our nose off here, we already have a goalscoring midfielder in the ranks.

Agreed. But if we can sell him at a reasonable profit and then strengthen elsewhere its what we should do frankly. We won't stay up next year because of an inconsistent 21year old Argentinian lad playing as a CAM, no matter how much most of us like him. 2 good players to strengthen the glaring weak spots in the team is worth it (sadly). And lets not shit about the bush, we need 1 starting full/wing back, backup for KWP (who hopefully doesn't leave), and GK, Downes, and a Striker that will score the goals to keep us up (assuming AA will be out right most of next season). And that's just to have a fighting chance. Sulemana and Alcaraz are probably our 2 most valuable not critical assets that we can sell.

I would dearly like us to keep Charly and have him replace Stu in the squad. But if Martin doesn't fancy him then we need to just get the deal done quick and strengthen.

Edited by Saint86
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dusic said:

One thing for sure re Alcaraz - zero point loaning him out again.

Why so? Surely it's the sensible option if nobody is willing to pay a reasonable price and RM doesn't want him.