Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Just googled it and I think it would be their second biggest transfer outlay of all time so seems rather unlikely, particularly with three players in exchange. Much more likely to be something like 7 million imo. 

Who was their most expensive?

They were miles off the pace last season, coming 6th and only getting 56 points. They got 78 the season before (came 3rd) and that was from 2 less games. They scored a lot less goals too, so maybe they feel they need to make a big splash and weaken an opponent too.

Can't see it though.

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Absolute madness. If he was from any other country other than the UK he’d be worth very little. UK player tax has shot up in recent years.

Just spoke to a Villa fan, apparently he is shit hot. Also to do with FFP and signing Matsen - they need a high income for this year on the sale and they're spending more on Matsen to counter that. Essentially taking a loan from Chelsea (financial loan). 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Beşiktaş is the club that officially made the offer to Southampton. If the black-whites transfer Onuachu, they will give Javi Montero, Mustafa Hekimoglu and Emre Bilgin to Göztepe. Mustafa will come to Göztepe on loan. Official talks were held last night.

I assume Goztepe will then be paying us money - or are we just giving them freebies off the back of selling our assets?  Wouldn't seem sensible in the world of FFP where we should be maximising every penny...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Not Saints, but youth players are now costing £19m. : https://x.com/David_Ornstein/status/1804450276557959354

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Something dodgy going on there.

will be to get round FFP i assume :wave:

also

https://x.com/LukeEdwardsTele/status/1804439605640372323?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1804439605640372323|twgr^adde727e4cb5a76f077c93cbafa74a7ddf9421c8|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theforum365.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Flukeedwardstele%2Fstatus%2F1804439605640372323

QJ6ezvYl?format=jpg&name=small

EXCLUSIVE Newcastle United are pushing ahead with deal to sign Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Still work to be done and talks not finished but closing in on a long standing target #nufc #efc

Edited by le_tiss

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just spoke to a Villa fan, apparently he is shit hot. Also to do with FFP and signing Matsen - they need a high income for this year on the sale and they're spending more on Matsen to counter that. Essentially taking a loan from Chelsea (financial loan). 

He’s very good.  & is to do with what you mentioned.  It’s more like investing from Chelsea - long term he’s way cheaper than big players on huge contracts.  

At what point do you call Chelsea’s transfer policy “grooming”?

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens with the five billion players they have on their books, I’m sure there are new laws coming in where you can’t loan out more than X number of players? Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that was around 2024 or 2025 and that was stop stop teams from hoarding armies of players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone done when of those made up stories of football rumours yet?

I have, just to see which ITK posts it first. 😂

'SFC are in advanced talks with Burnley to bring back Nathan Redmond.

Redmond will replace Sulemana who is being moved on - a club in France has put in a bid for him. Club see Redmond as good value as part of the transfer profile strategy that they are employing this summer - experienced voice in the dressing room to help the younger players, still well-respected by the coaching staff and in the last year of his contract at his current club.

Discussing 2 year contract. £2m fee, wages around £45-£50k per week. Talks well-advanced. Both clubs keen, just need player to agree personal terms. Hoping to have it concluded in time for player to take part in pre-season from 18th July.'

https://southamptonrumours.co.uk/

Big if true. And Defensive Captain is a trustworthy source I've heard. 

Yours, Midfield General 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

That's enough guys, behave! There's got to be an element of truth in the best jokes.. 🙂

To be fair, we probably will sign a couple of Forreners.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Seems unusually cheap. 

If that £12 million is accurate, which I doubt, then it would probably come with a host of add ons. That's rumoured to be the fee West Ham paid Swansea for him. Would be a fantastic bit of business though and he'd be key to the way we play next season. I'll wait until he signs on the dotted line before I get happy about this...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If that £12 million is accurate, which I doubt, then it would probably come with a host of add ons. That's rumoured to be the fee West Ham paid Swansea for him. Would be a fantastic bit of business though and he'd be key to the way we play next season. I'll wait until he signs on the dotted line before I get happy about this...

Could probably do with another - might not be the worst idea to occasionally pally with 2 of them….

…and because if Downes gets injured we would get absolutely rinsed in the Prem.

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I assume Goztepe will then be paying us money - or are we just giving them freebies off the back of selling our assets?  Wouldn't seem sensible in the world of FFP where we should be maximising every penny...

You're right and it also seems a bit odd that a 'sister' club benefits from a sale of one of our players without doing anything. So if Goztepe pay us some money, what's the player value? I get the impression transfer pricing is a big thing in business nowadays because it's so open to being fiddled, so with FFP, we need to be careful.

39 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Just hope Saints don’t dally around in getting the job done with Downes. We’ve had this before…wait and another club steals in with a better offer.

Personally I can't see that given his relationship with the manager and last season. He either signs for us or stays at West ham. I can't believe they'd sell him for 12 million given that they know we are desperate to sign him. You'd at least ask for 20.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

You're right and it also seems a bit odd that a 'sister' club benefits from a sale of one of our players without doing anything. So if Goztepe pay us some money, what's the player value? I get the impression transfer pricing is a big thing in business nowadays because it's so open to being fiddled, so with FFP, we need to be careful.

Maybe it's just ab agreement to allow Göztepe to benefit from some loans on top of the separate business which is the transfer fee for Onuachu? 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I can't see that given his relationship with the manager and last season. He either signs for us or stays at West ham. I can't believe they'd sell him for 12 million given that they know we are desperate to sign him. You'd at least ask for 20.

Downes is only worth what any club is prepared to pay for him and it certainly aint 20 million. They'll want a realistic fee for him or he'll end up stuck on their wage bill.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, saintant said:

Downes is only worth what any club is prepared to pay for him and it certainly aint 20 million. They'll want a realistic fee for him or he'll end up stuck on their wage bill.

Given the situation, he's clearly worth more to us than 12 million. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Given the situation, he's clearly worth more to us than 12 million. 

I don't think he's worth £20million though. Not sure how far i'd go to be honest but you're talking record signing levels and lets be honest, as fantastic as he's been he's still completely unproven in the Prem. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If we do sign him, let's hope he can make the transistion from Championship to Premier League. 

Remains to be seen but given how we play he's our most important player. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think he's worth £20million though. Not sure how far i'd go to be honest but you're talking record signing levels and lets be honest, as fantastic as he's been he's still completely unproven in the Prem. 

Not sure I agree. Unless we sign him or can sign someone to replicate what he does then we will have next to no hope of survival. Bringing back Fraser, THB and Downes and signing a half decent keeper and striker as a minimum will give us an excellent chance of survival. Hopefully irrelevant anyway if he's available for significantly less, I'm just surprised they wouldn't ask for more if it's true. 

• Like 2

Can you imagine if we were signing a 25 year old defensive midfielder with about 100 championship appearances, 60 league 1, 10 league 2 and 20 prem, who has spent last year in championship side who finished 4th, wasn't player of the season and we were paying £20m...people would go nuts on here!

I would love us to keep him but he isn't worth anywhere near £20m surely?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, saintant said:

West Ham board are a known pain in the arse and will try it on. The fee haggling will dictate when Downes joins us, but I’m very sure its will not if.  Can’t see us getting gazumped at around £12-15 million and can’t see the Irons hanging on to him once that figure is realised. 

11 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Can you imagine if we were signing a 25 year old defensive midfielder with about 100 championship appearances, 60 league 1, 10 league 2 and 20 prem, who has spent last year in championship side who finished 4th, wasn't player of the season and we were paying £20m...people would go nuts on here!

I would love us to keep him but he isn't worth anywhere near £20m surely?

He was our player of the season. He's also absolutely fundamental to how we play and our most important player. You can't divorce him from how important he was to us last year. Luckily no one has actually said that's what they are demanding, I'm just saying I'd be surprised if they weren't asking for something around that figure. 

Edited by hypochondriac

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure I agree. Unless we sign him or can sign someone to replicate what he does then we will have next to no hope of survival. Bringing back Fraser, THB and Downes and signing a half decent keeper and striker as a minimum will give us an excellent chance of survival. Hopefully irrelevant anyway if he's available for significantly less, I'm just surprised they wouldn't ask for more if it's true. 

That’s a good strategic summary. Club needs to retain the proven core and strengthen both ends whilst being canny with the bargains, freebies and loans. Loans could be as crucial to us this year as last IMO.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

That’s a good strategic summary. Club needs to retain the proven core and strengthen both ends whilst being canny with the bargains, freebies and loans. Loans could be as crucial to us this year as last IMO.

Getting Downes and THB and then signing a decent striker and gk with the rest of the squad filled out with lower price prem experience and loans is the way to go. 

It should give us decent talent in every area of the pitch and should hopefully at least make us competitive. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Getting Downes and THB and then signing a decent striker and gk with the rest of the squad filled out with lower price prem experience and loans is the way to go. 

It should give us decent talent in every area of the pitch and should hopefully at least make us competitive. 

Couldn't agree more 👍

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes. Fraser is close from what I’ve heard about getting all the bodies in the room after hols. I hope West Ham are sensible at least with Downes, as we were with Prowse. I’m coming round to BBD as our main striker target, and if that started with a season long loan then win win. Keeper worries me, and like last close season is going to be sport republic’s canary in the coalmine - we need to buy a first choice and let Bazunu challenge once he’s back fit. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Yes. Fraser is close from what I’ve heard about getting all the bodies in the room after hols. I hope West Ham are sensible at least with Downes, as we were with Prowse. I’m coming round to BBD as our main striker target, and if that started with a season long loan then win win. Keeper worries me, and like last close season is going to be sport republic’s canary in the coalmine - we need to buy a first choice and let Bazunu challenge once he’s back fit. 

We definitely need a B2B Midfielder too. A destroyer type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Also if he's on big wages that we can't ordinarily match then we might insist the transfer fee is reduced to cover it  

20 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

No reason we can't get something like that on loan. Throw in a reasonably priced lb (sessegnon on a free if fit?) and a team of 

Quality gk 

Kwp Bednarek/new signing THB Sessegnon 

Downes Loanee 

Armstrong Fraser/Lallana 

Loanee 

Quality striker 

Should make us competitive. Then if we have the likes of Ghoddos and that Fulham player to pad out the squad even better. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Saintsarmy said:

Ghoddos chat popped up with quite a lot of noise and then faded away after a couple of days. Nonsense talk?

not necessarily. Talks may have happened, maybe a contract offered, some mulling it over, maybe he has said yes, we'll then get the marketing stuff done and pick our moment to announce. Time will tell. A fair amount of smoke.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Sheaf for Cov might work. If we can get Downes for just £12m, I'd get Sara from Norwich too. We would really be upgrading hat central position, which is so critical. Loan Charles out for a full season in the championship, which IMO he needs.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Also if he's on big wages that we can't ordinarily match then we might insist the transfer fee is reduced to cover it  

there's only about three sides they can sell him to. The championship sides can't take on his three year Prem size contract, so that perhaps only leaves the three promoted sides. If they see him as surplus to requirements, it should be a relatively simple deal to make, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

there's only about three sides they can sell him to. The championship sides can't take on his three year Prem size contract, so that perhaps only leaves the three promoted sides. If they see him as surplus to requirements, it should be a relatively simple deal to make, fingers crossed.

He's only on 25K a week, it is alot for Championship, but the bigger sides can definitely afford to pay that. The fee won't be achievable you'd think.

£12M will be an initial fee. There will be additional add-ons based on appearances, England cap (Kalvin Phillips replacement Mr Southgate?) etc.

Just get it done. If we sign him our chances of staying up massively improve.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He's only on 25K a week, it is alot for Championship, but the bigger sides can definitely afford to pay that. The fee won't be achievable you'd think.

Source? I'd be shocked if West ham signed him and only gave him 25k a week. We gave Jason Euell 15k a week in the championship. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Flynn Downes might not be worth £20M to some but he's a player who made our team tick last season, the risk of bring ing in someone who hasn't played under our manager is that they won't click. Compared to the other £20M players we've signed its a no brainer in my eyes.