Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

We also signed Boruc on a free right after the window slammed shut I think?

GK is the most important signing for me (maybe except Downes). If we can get the keeper situation right, I will sleep a little better 😴 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

We also signed Boruc on a free right after the window slammed shut I think?

GK is the most important signing for me (maybe except Downes). If we can get the keeper situation right, I will sleep a little better 😴 

I can't begin to imagine having your sleep linked with Southampton having a safe pair of gloves in goal. You poor person. My thoughts are with you. 🙂

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We are being linked with Jaden Philogene, would be a quality signing

He certainly looked quality last season. 12 goals and 6 assists from 32 matches is a good return and only 22 years old 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If Ipswich hadn't been promoted I'd have been all over Leif Davis, I'm not sure who else I'd look for at LB. I'd be tempted to look abroad or a PL loan.

He was the guy we should have spent money on last summer, but it would have been tough to prize him away and Manning was free. I feel its a position we really must sort out. We can't have KWP moving across there next season. Manning, Perraud, Larios...are just not going to cut it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

He was the guy we should have spent money on last summer, but it would have been tough to prize him away and Manning was free. I feel its a position we really must sort out. We can't have KWP moving across there next season. Manning, Perraud, Larios...are just not going to cut it.

Wouldn't suprise me if Meghoma really pushes ahead of Manning with a good pre season.

Agree a starting XI signing there is an absolute must.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We are being linked with Jaden Philogene, would be a quality signing

he of more tricks than Paul Daniels? I bet his youtube video is a good watch. My only concern is he's a little bit lightweight, no unlike like Edozie. 

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Wouldn't suprise me if Meghoma really pushes ahead of Manning with a good pre season.

Agree a starting XI signing there is an absolute must.

Possibly. I was really hoping he'd force his way in last season. We spent a few bob on him, so I am hoping he might be the next big thing. Still plenty of time, but in terms of where he is at, if he couldn't get in ahead of Bree played out of position, that's not a great sign that he can play in the Prem next season. Like you say, a good summer and preseason and maybe he solves our problem. I have my doubts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

That's the rub I suppose, and the expertise we were paying for with the much lamented Mitchell.  Gray at Leeds would be a great shout, and in terms of the positions we most need and Melton most likely to have scouted / longlisted, Patterson, Clarke and Bellingham (Sunderland), Hackney (Boro), O'Hare (Coventry), Cabango and Wood (Swansea). SPL maybe Mitov (St J), O'Reilly, Scales (Celtic), Spittal (Motherwell), Shankland (Hearts - now more likely than Miovski in my view).  Loans will be absolutely crucial to get right and I think we would get better bang for buck looking at Netherlands and Scandinavia than Germany (too dear) or France / Italy (hopefully lessons learned).  Whether our current black-boxers feel the same is another matter.      

I've got to say that Shankland feels like our kind of signing. Kind of the level of money we can afford. He can finish given time, but is he sharp enough to do it in the Prem. 

I think Mitov is going to Aberdeen. 

I'm with you on Netherlands. Classie was not good enough, but if you know your stuff you can get a Tadic or a Pelle.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've got to say that Shankland feels like our kind of signing. Kind of the level of money we can afford. He can finish given time, but is he sharp enough to do it in the Prem. 

I'm with you on Netherlands. Classie was not good enough, but if you know your stuff you can get a Tadic or a Pelle.

Not sure if Shankland is the answer. Especially when you consider Adams is ahead of him in the Scotland pecking order up front. 

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
Spelling

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I'm not sure you can anymore. It was 10 years ago that we signed Tadic and Pelle.

Whilst we are still looking for those £12-15m signings, players of their quality/record cost probably 3 times that now and I don't think we will pay it.

In reality we are looking at trying to get players either before they have been hyped or proven (Lavia, Edozie, Sulemana, Bazunu type signings), players who are talented but unwanted (KWP, maybe Downes) or players who are past their best but with something still to offer.

Outside of that our best market by a mile is the EFL where we know there is talent and the likes of Wharton, Eze, Watkins etc show that.

Scotland unless its a top player from Celtic or Rangers its a no as its such a poor league.

Edited by Dusic

13 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

£83m yep, but take into account that transfers are amortised over contract lengths, so the transfers from 2 years ago will count for the same amount this year. That means that figure needs to be removed (probably £25-30m). Then there is the fact that last financial results we had (2021-2022) we made a £43m loss before transfers out, so let's be brave and remove 2/3rds of that, so that's another £30m. So out of that £83m, we've probably got £25m to £30m left to pay for a portion of amortised transfers, signing fees and agent fees. And we've probably spent £7-9m of that already. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure if Shankland is the answer. Especially when you consider Adams is ahead of him in the Scotland pecking order up front. 

I'm not sure he is either, but realistically who is coming to us?  If we can get better, I'm all for that.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm not sure he is either, but realistically who is coming to us?  If we can get better, I'm all for that.

Not necessarily going to be better than Stewart though, and if not give Onauchu another try? 

Edited by Farmer Saint

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Not necessarily going to be better than Stewart though, and if not give Onauchu another try? 

True, but availability is the most important ability. I'll pass on the offer to watch more Onuachu.

8 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

£83m yep, but take into account that transfers are amortised over contract lengths, so the transfers from 2 years ago will count for the same amount this year. That means that figure needs to be removed (probably £25-30m). Then there is the fact that last financial results we had (2021-2022) we made a £43m loss before transfers out, so let's be brave and remove 2/3rds of that, so that's another £30m. So out of that £83m, we've probably got £25m to £30m left to pay for a portion of amortised transfers, signing fees and agent fees. And we've probably spent £7-9m of that already. 

Amortisation is only when buying players.

Sales go straight on the books.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Hence how Chelsea have managed to spend a gazillion pounds and offering 50 year contracts.

45 minutes ago, Nolan said:

So if we can make say £20-30 million on player sales, that gives us an allowable spend of 70-80 million which is more than reasonable. 

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So if we can make say £20-30 million on player sales, that gives us an allowable spend of 70-80 million which is more than reasonable. 

That would be achievable from just the sale of KWP. I’d prefer to get to that figure from the deadwood mind!

15 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

That would be achievable from just the sale of KWP. I’d prefer to get to that figure from the deadwood mind!

Yep which is why I said I think we will sell him he's the easiest one we'd get 25 million for which would fund our Downes purchase and leave us a wedge for a decent striker, winger and maybe AM. 

• Sad 1

Meghoma is ideal for loaning to a Championship/League 1 club next season.  He needs comeptitive mens games to bring him up to speed of challenging for the left back role.  atm, he is too far away from challenging.  Same for Sam Amo

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Was speaking to a couple of Brentford fans I know, they said Ghoddos was massively underused and is more than Prem quality apparently.

I was talking to a Brentford fan last night and he said exactly the same thing - said he played in every position and was a bit of a cult hero…

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chez said:

Shankland likely to be the forward target north of the border. Hope so, bags of potential and injury free…

8 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Shankland likely to be the forward target north of the border. Hope so, bags of potential and injury free…

not sure about potential, he's 28 so should be in his prime, being kept out of the Scotland team by Che Adams. My mate is Hearts fan he also is a coach at a league 2 club really rates him though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

not sure about potential, he's 28 so should be in his prime, being kept out of the Scotland team by Che Adams. My mate is Hearts fan he also is a coach at a league 2 club really rates him though.

Meant potential for saints Turkish rather than age :). My Hearts supporting pal of the same opinion and baffled by the exclusion, said to have a look at his goals last season, proper all rounder. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Trouble with comparing how Shankland fares versus Che in the Scotland team is that Che is not played to his best ability - I.e. the tactics/system employed means he hardly sees enough of the ball. The question IMO is how different are the two players in their clubs systems and does Shankland have the nouse to play in a RM team? For me, I’m not sure either of them are good enough.

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Trouble with comparing how Shankland fares versus Che in the Scotland team is that Che is not played to his best ability - I.e. the tactics/system employed means he hardly sees enough of the ball. The question IMO is how different are the two players in their clubs systems and does Shankland have the nouse to play in a RM team? For me, I’m not sure either of them are good enough.

Good point. Che is one of the better players in that Scotland team. But the way Scotland have set up means he gets less of the ball than virtually every other player. 
Saints seem to play a more democratic way sharing out the possession but, frankly, I prefer our better players to have as much of the ball as is reasonable - ie give it to KWP as often as possible - and don’t mind if some if the others don’t touch it much but just have to run around a lot. 

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's good to know that he's not finished.

(Not bad for a Friday morning I feel.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Good point. Che is one of the better players in that Scotland team. But the way Scotland have set up means he gets less of the ball than virtually every other player. 
Saints seem to play a more democratic way sharing out the possession but, frankly, I prefer our better players to have as much of the ball as is reasonable - ie give it to KWP as often as possible - and don’t mind if some if the others don’t touch it much but just have to run around a lot. 

Genuinely bit of everything from an effective number 9 here, a big mobile unit:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep which is why I said I think we will sell him he's the easiest one we'd get 25 million for which would fund our Downes purchase and leave us a wedge for a decent striker, winger and maybe AM. 

You forgetting we'd also need a new right back?

59 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Genuinely bit of everything from an effective number 9 here, a big mobile unit:

Based on this looks like he’s got a better shot on him and moves faster than Che. Big unit but is he carrying a bit of timber at times so perhaps could be fitter (and therefore even better).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Based on this looks like he’s got a better shot on him and moves faster than Che. Big unit but is he carrying a bit of timber at times so perhaps could be fitter (and therefore even better).

Yep, that’s the thesis! 

2 hours ago, The Realist said:

Meghoma is ideal for loaning to a Championship/League 1 club next season.  He needs comeptitive mens games to bring him up to speed of challenging for the left back role.  atm, he is too far away from challenging.  Same for Sam Amo

Was surprised neither played more last season. I thought Meghoma especially looked more than good enough. SAA is raw but very talented (but probably too attack minded for RM - see also Edozie and Sulemana).

Couple of other pieces in that article from Jack Rosser:

- Saints (and Martin especially) were very keen on Callum O'Hare, reportedly approached weeks ago but feeling is it's unlikely to happen
- Pursuing alternatives as a result, one who they think fits well is Bobby Decordova-Reid at Fulham - out of contract, considering new 2yr offer from Fulham
- Saints also interested in Brereton Diaz, seems Villarreal may be open to loaning if there is an option to buy in 2025
- He was on loan at Sheffield United for the second half of last season, scoring 6 goals in 14 PL games

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

31 and available on a free - would seem to fit the current profile. Would be a decent enough addition. 

Same article also says we’re still looking at Brereton-Diaz and O’Hare, but it’s the Sun, so, y’know.