Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

29 minutes ago, JRM said:

To be fair our best signings have often been clever deals like Romeu, Livramento, Cork, etc, the bigger money deals tends to see us make expensive mistakes 

I think you are largely right on that. Charlie George for example, brilliant player but we seldom got the best out of him. Perhaps David Armstrong was our best ever big money signing - it was big back in 81 as he chose us over Manchester United. You could also cite Rickie, as that was a lot for a League One team to pay.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think you are largely right on that. Charlie George for example, brilliant player but we seldom got the best out of him. Perhaps David Armstrong was our best ever big money signing - it was big back in 81 as he chose us over Manchester United. You could also cite Rickie, as that was a lot for a League One team to pay.

Charlie George was the sick note type, seldom fit, once out with a sore finger after cutting the grass. He took Lawrie Mac for a ride

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Scouting report

https://targetscouting.com/2024/05/01/welington-sao-paulo-scout-report/

Welington has specific skills that make him an okay left-back in the Brazilian league, but this is also his ceiling. He is too poor defensively to make an impact in a significant European league. Welington is decent going forward but needs to improve his crossing and close control in tight spaces. In conclusion, there is a lot of work to do for the young Brazilian to become a strong player in the Brazilian league. 

Edited by Convict Colony

29 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I understood it was between us and Sunderland.

Agree with you though, tremendous signing.

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Saints have put an offer in for Welington of Sao Paulo. He's a LB.

FFS, name me one good player to ever come out of South America?

Very Saintsy!

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Scouting report

Welington has specific skills that make him an okay left-back in the Brazilian league, but this is also his ceiling. He is too poor defensively to make an impact in a significant European league. Welington is decent going forward but needs to improve his crossing and close control in tight spaces. In conclusion, there is a lot of work to do for the young Brazilian to become a strong player in the Brazilian league. 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I have to say that his youtube video leaves me very unenthused.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Man City possibly considering loaning out Rico Lewis. If we cash in on KWP, could he be a potential replacement?

Would be an absolutely excellent signing, with/without KWP as he could just move over to the left. 

I imagine he'd have a better option within the league, but maybe there'd be some sort of preference for him to play in a possession system like ours?

Seems unlikely, but I am intrigued to see how much use we can make out of our two PL loans this year.

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Scouting report

6 Months left on his contract so should be a minimal risk fee although I agree he would be a little underwhelming. He seems to share the same weaknesses as Manning.

Edited by Disco Stu

15 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Would be an absolutely excellent signing, with/without KWP as he could just move over to the left. 

I imagine he'd have a better option within the league, but maybe there'd be some sort of preference for him to play in a possession system like ours?

Seems unlikely, but I am intrigued to see how much use we can make out of our two PL loans this year.

Good chance that those loans could be absolutely key to survival. Should allow us to get two top players. I'd go for a defender and AM and save our cash for a striker and Downes. 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 hours ago, Dellyears said:

Charlie George was the sick note type, seldom fit, once out with a sore finger after cutting the grass. He took Lawrie Mac for a ride

A two finger aputation to be fair. Thought he would give his Flymo blade a flick when it jammed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Very Saintsy!

Pele (Edson Arantes do Nascimento) was quite good. Other players with a similar name not so much.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Man City possibly considering loaning out Rico Lewis. If we cash in on KWP, could he be a potential replacement?

Fun fact, we very nearly signed him a few seasons ago, but city pulled the plug very late on as he started getting a run in their first team. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Very Saintsy!

How can anyone forget the goal machine that was Augustin Delgado?

12 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Scouting report

Sofascore

Directly compare defensive stats to Ryan Manning, and its an improvement.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Downes for less than £15 million would be an absolute steal. I'd pay £20 Million so if we end up getting Ings thrown in as well for that price, it's worth it IMO

Utd after Alvarez from West Ham according to Fabrizio Romano.