Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

We need a decent spine and that starts with a serious investment in a good goalkeeper, and then Downes. Then wheeler deal for the other spots, but you'd have thought a striker was also key with any buttons we have behind the sofa

4 minutes ago, DT said:

We need a decent spine and that starts with a serious investment in a good goalkeeper, and then Downes. Then wheeler deal for the other spots, but you'd have thought a striker was also key with any buttons we have behind the sofa

Wouldn’t disagree but buttons will not buy a prem level striker. ☹️

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well we are fucked. Relegation looms.

Likely perhaps, but not inevitable. There are some key issues that I think will influence our season…

1. RM’s ability to adapt his system to the Prem in a squad that’s not significantly strengthened. It will be less ‘physical’ but faster, meaning counter attacks in particular by even the weakest teams will punish an open midfield and weak defence. Passing accuracy in the final third needs to be much better than we saw in the Championship.

2. Whether there are players in the squad that still have room for growth/improvement meaning that collectively some of the weaknesses from last season are corrected AND/OR somehow the club are able finance 1 or 2 Prem quality players in their prime. For example, replacing Che with a really good striker and improving quality of RB position is crucial.

3. Bringing in Downes. This player is fundamental to the RM system - fundamental to the 1st teams ability to perform at its highest possible level. He is the main cog in the system that makes it work. There will be no time to find a replacement to hit the ground running before the season starts unless huge money is spent (not happening). West Ham have us over a barrel which means the deal will be very difficult - but it’s arguably the most important signing since Lambert’s in L1.

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Because we had an approx £100m drop in revenue in the Championship last season. In 2021/2022 we made a £43m loss without the sale of players. So...

2022/2023: £120m loss

2023/2024: £85m profit

2024/2025: £70m loss (including £25m in transfers)

Means a loss of £105m over 3 years.

Next season we will be able to make a £120m loss, so £75m in transfers. Please also remember that player sales are included against that year's P&L, whereas transfers are amortised over the length of the contract, so every year we are still paying for legacy players.

Isn't our limit less than £105m? That's based on 3 years at £35m a season but we'll be allowed less for the championship season so the threshold will be considerably lower than that figure.

This is what happened with Forest I believe.

28 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Isn't our limit less than £105m? That's based on 3 years at £35m a season but we'll be allowed less for the championship season so the threshold will be considerably lower than that figure.

This is what happened with Forest I believe.

81 million. 2 seasons at 35 and 1 at 13. The forest article I saw had them at 61 million.

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

So Jacob Tanswell has confirmed we’re looking to strengthen the goalkeeping positions, centre back, left back, centre midfield, right wing and striker. So pretty much the whole team them 

That’s what I mean. 

Working for the Athletic isn’t about getting accurate stories.
They have a quota to churn out on a weekly basis.

That’s why many of the stories will have little to no sources and are largely a rehash of what was already reported by more accurate press earlier on.

Wait and see. When it comes to transfers this summer they won’t do an article on let’s say the three out of contract players (Adams, Armstrong and McCarthy).
They'll churn out three separate stories to fulfill a quota.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That’s what I mean. 

Working for the Athletic isn’t about getting accurate stories.
They have a quota to churn out on a weekly basis.

That’s why many of the stories will have little to no sources and are largely a rehash of what was already reported by more accurate press earlier on.

Wait and see. When it comes to transfers this summer they won’t do an article on let’s say the three out of contract players (Adams, Armstrong and McCarthy).
They'll churn out three separate stories to fulfill a quota.

The "article" was basically an opinion piece on where we need to strengthen, nothing more than that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

The "article" was basically an opinion piece on where we need to strengthen, nothing more than that.

Something which every Saints fan already knows. It’s not real journalism.

It’s the equivalent of the “footballrumours” website.
I remember about fifteen years ago in college me and a load of mates typed random rumours in to see which of them stuck - safe to say a few got through to national media and more often than not they would all end up on the old 606 forum through someone claiming to be “ITK”. 😂

• Like 1

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Something which every Saints fan already knows. It’s not real journalism.

It’s the equivalent of the “footballrumours” website.
I remember about fifteen years ago in college me and a load of mates typed random rumours in to see which of them stuck - safe to say a few got through to national media and more often than not they would all end up on the old 606 forum through someone claiming to be “ITK”. 😂

I did that too, lol.

Started a rumour that Saints were trying to size Gaizika Mendieta from Lazio around 2003. It was denied in the echo. The Guly 15 minute contract clause was also a good one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes or what was written in his contract but I would have given a right go in the Championship. If he could have scored a few goals that would have given him the momentum in the premier league this season. 

I also rated Sulemana. He was good fun to watch.

Martin needed a striker willing to drop back, create, hold up and then also get onto the end of passes. Paul didn't suit that system. Sule has pace to burn. But it's wasted in a system that allowed defences to drop back, while we created passing angles. Alcaraz is another one whose natural game suffered. No reason why any of them can't develop. With Alcaraz, I think there was a bit of frustration on both sides. Perraud is possibly another one.

It's a lot of money to invest and not use. Just shows the massive financial impact on not having a consistent system/manager in place.

• Like 2

You might assume that Che's people will want a deal tied up pretty soon, as he is ( I assume) without an employer from 01/07 ?

If he does leave, I guess it is not impossible that we go with Tall Paul, Stewart and AA as our main striker options.

Any discussion about Brooks coming back either on loan or permanent  ? I would think he'd be a more than useful squad member at worst, and might not be too expensive .And I guess we are stuck with Sulemana due to the large outstanding transfer payments and presumably heavy wage costs ? 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I did that too, lol.

Started a rumour that Saints were trying to size Gaizika Mendieta from Lazio around 2003. It was denied in the echo. The Guly 15 minute contract clause was also a good one.

I remember that Mendieta link. 🙂

It was only a season or two after we were in talks with Bierhoff.

A mate of mine did one for Chelsea that they were linked with some South American teenager - he used the player he’d seen on his save of FM11.

For context, the player didn’t exist and was some regen with a random name. 😂

I think I remember doing one for Matt Phillips and the time, and Dale Jennings both when they were young and promising. 😂

1 hour ago, DT said:

Why do you and other posters think Downes is going to me very good in the PL if West Ham do not.

I know he was very integral to the promotion but so were Che and AA and they are not really top class PL players

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John B said:

Why do you and other posters think Downes is going to me very good in the PL if West Ham do not.

I know he was very integral to the promotion but so were Che and AA and they are not really top class PL players

I refer you to my post above! ^^^

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Insane signing. 

Will we be plundering his current club, Nissho Gakuen High School, for more talent? 

They certainly sound young. But are they hungry?  

• Haha 1

Personally I would’ve withdrawn the contract offer for Adams as soon as we got promoted.
He deliberately dithered all season waiting to see what league we’re in, why can’t the club do that. I’d personally lower the terms, he wasn’t great last time around, why should we offer him the same terms now?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Personally I would’ve withdrawn the contract offer for Adams as soon as we got promoted.
He deliberately dithered all season waiting to see what league we’re in, why can’t the club do that. I’d personally lower the terms, he wasn’t great last time around, why should we offer him the same terms now?

Quick search online suggests Che is in £32k pw and was on £52 pw last time we were in the Prem. 

Do you know what the contract offer was?

It would obviously be an extension (at the time) of at least one but more likely two years plus option and probably, dependent on promotion, with an escalator in the event of promotion to at least the previous EPL salary. And in addition a “ loyalty “ bonus, again potentially being bigger conditional upon promotion to EPL. 
My guess is he’s holding out for  £100k and a big sign on fee at least £1m prob more. 

12 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Quick search online suggests Che is in £32k pw and was on £52 pw last time we were in the Prem. 

Do you know what the contract offer was?

It would obviously be an extension (at the time) of at least one but more likely two years plus option and probably, dependent on promotion, with an escalator in the event of promotion to at least the previous EPL salary. And in addition a “ loyalty “ bonus, again potentially being bigger conditional upon promotion to EPL. 
My guess is he’s holding out for  £100k and a big sign on fee at least £1m prob more. 

Martin already indicated that Che is likely to get more attractive offers financially. Any half decent PL offer is likely to beat ours. SR will have weighed up keeping the individual wages down, against losing a known quantity and possibly having to recruit a replacement.

I’m going to see if that football rumours site still exists and post a few on there later - I then give it no more than 48hrs before SaintRob or SaintsAlex on Twitter claim they’re ITK and it’s happening.

That would be more fun - everyone stick a rumour online and see who’s comes up first. 😂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m going to see if that football rumours site still exists and post a few on there later - I then give it no more than 48hrs before SaintRob or SaintsAlex on Twitter claim they’re ITK and it’s happening.

That would be more fun - everyone stick a rumour online and see who’s comes up first. 😂

Nice. I'm going for a sensational return for Nathan Redmond. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Chez said:

With the £20m outlay for THB, the money needing to be spent starts to add up quickly. Boy could we do with finding another Livramento or three.

Didn't some people on here have a problem with buying youngsters from big sides though :classic_rolleyes: 

Agree with your point 👍

3 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well we are fucked. Relegation looms.

In my world not so bad...

Last season promotion .£140million

Next season relegation £60m? parachute payment

Season 3 promotion lots more £m and fun

And so on....😂😂😂

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1

It’s pretty certain that the team that won 1-0 at Wembley would struggle to stay up in the PL and that’s before the loanees and out of contract players walk out the door perhaps permanently. That means a massive rebuild and significant expenditure. Just hope whoever is in charge of recruitment and negotiations has had his/her summer break already. 

• Like 1

Relax everyone. 

I've been keeping track of the " rumours " about players who Saints are (reputedly) after since the end of May, 

after today ... the list is upto  23 players., and if even half of them are free transfers ...we'll have a h*ll of a squad. .. .ha ha ha ha ha

Now we just wait for July 1st. to see who signs first. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure where it fits in exactly, but I was told there was a debt left behind by Goa but it was the interest on that debt that was increasingly crippling the clubs finances. Promotion to the Prem was absolutely essential to maintain any sort of decent squad and infrastructure.

The COVID loan is still outstanding and has accrued interest. We also owed money on various transfers. Not sure the loan is crippling the club's finances, but obviously it needs to be paid down and that takes funds away from our transfer/overall budget.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Because we had an approx £100m drop in revenue in the Championship last season. In 2021/2022 we made a £43m loss without the sale of players. So...

2022/2023: £120m loss

2023/2024: £85m profit

2024/2025: £70m loss (including £25m in transfers)

Means a loss of £105m over 3 years.

Next season we will be able to make a £120m loss, so £75m in transfers. Please also remember that player sales are included against that year's P&L, whereas transfers are amortised over the length of the contract, so every year we are still paying for legacy players.

Appreciate it!

Wasn't doubting by any means, just truly clueless to how it's all laid out these days. Chelsea don't help.

4 hours ago, Long Shot said:

It’s pretty certain that the team that won 1-0 at Wembley would struggle to stay up in the PL and that’s before the loanees and out of contract players walk out the door perhaps permanently. That means a massive rebuild and significant expenditure. Just hope whoever is in charge of recruitment and negotiations has had his/her summer break already. 

That’s fvcking obvious 🙄 hence we will be looking to strengthen the team . The impatience of some of our fans is beyond belief the transfer window has only been open for a couple of days with most eyes on the Euros hence loads of bullshit rumours. The window doesn’t shut until August 20th and I’m confident most of our work will be completed long before then.

Cant imagine any last ditch attempts to sign players similar the debacle with Gapko. Martin will want players in place that can adapt to our style of play.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, manji said:

That’s fvcking obvious 🙄 hence we will be looking to strengthen the team . The impatience of some of our fans is beyond belief the transfer window has only been open for a couple of days with most eyes on the Euros hence loads of bullshit rumours. The window doesn’t shut until August 20th and I’m confident most of our work will be completed long before then.

Cant imagine any last ditch attempts to sign players similar the debacle with Gapko. Martin will want players in place that can adapt to our style of play.

what makes you confident?

9 hours ago, Chez said:

In the Championship, boy did our squad look strong. But in the Prem, we look incredibly lightweight. Struggle is right.

I was really looking forward to this summer transfer window, but the current links to players and noises about financial constraints are taking the shine off it a little. I hope we can make at least a couple of exciting signings.

To be fair our best signings have often been clever deals like Romeu, Livramento, Cork, etc, the bigger money deals tends to see us make expensive mistakes 

• Like 4