Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, moorw003 said:

Completely disagree with the board consensus on Perraud. We were really poor in relegation from the premier league, but Perraud was one of our bright sparks and was solid. Had a goal in him too, especially in the FA Cup.

I liked him. Got forward and tried hard. Got a chucked under the bus for lack of outcome once, when others were worse. Martin clearly didn't want him. To the point that there may have been things going on behind the scenes. Possibly, just to get Manning in though.

We've KWP, Bree, Manning, Meghoma, Larios, Stephens and ABK has played left back (not spectacularly says my, admittedly dodgy memory cell). Oh, and if Fraser arrives, then that's a wing back option. I'd be surprised if we brought in more, unless 1 or more of those goes.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

As said the other day, and I will repeat until the end of the window, we do not have much money to spend, at all. Expect Downes and then very low expenditure. 

How much will Downes cost? £12 million? Add that to Harwood Bellis who is possibly our record signing and that's a fairly big chunk of money for us to spend considering FFP and how much we spaffed on rubbish in January.

I expect the rest will be low fees, frees or loans which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

FFP. Next year will be very different due to the 3 year rolling commitments.

How is this possible though, given the fact that we pretty much recuperated all the money we spent from 22/23 last year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Talksport linking us to Cameron Archer. We’ve been linked in previous windows. 4 goals in 29 apps last season for Sheffield United. 11 in 22 in the championship previously for Boro.

From a Villa forum

" He's a very good championship player too. Will score lots of goals, bit like Adam Armstrong. "

Lots more, the recent ones saying he's not really PL level.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/19280-cameron-archer/page/240/

But Villa have just brought him back, and Emery might see him as useful depth in their CL playing squad.

I remember his early cup games, where he was really good. People who watched Sheff It's last season can perhaps offer a view.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

I still don't get this. Dragon what's his name stated the other day that if we avoid relegation it's worth up to £305,000,000. Still don't understand how  we're broke.

18 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

FFP.

Just get United Group to sponsor the stadium for a few hundred mil, surely....? ;)

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

Just get United Group to sponsor the stadium for a few hundred mil, surely....? ;)

Surely no team would get away with signing an above market rate sponsorship deal with a company also owned and run by the same people who own the club, that sounds suspiciously like financial doping to me….🤣

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Surely no team would get away with signing an above market rate sponsorship deal with a company also owned and run by the same people who own the club, that sounds suspiciously like financial doping to me….🤣

Yeah, fair point.... On reflection, that's never gonna happen... ;)

Actually, in all seriousness, what is the typical "market rate" for stadium sponsorship these days? Given the FFP shackles we seem to be in for this season, surely it'll be worth doing a stadium sponsorship deal of some kind, even if it only raises enough funds for one new player, say?

Edited by trousers

Kelleher - £20m or McCarthy - free (Lumley)

KWP (Bree)                     Bednarek (Stephens)         THB - £20m (ABK)             Sessegnon or Omar Richards - free (Manning)

Downes or Sara - £18m or Wilfried Ndidi - free (Charles)

Smallbone (Lallana - free)                                     Ghoddas or O'Hare or Andre Gomes- free or Sheaf £15m (Aribo)

AA (Carvalho - £15m or Maxwell Cornet loan)            Simon Banka £20m or Sargent £8m or Ings loan or Ilhneancho - free (Stewart)                             Fraser (Sulemana)

With the £20m outlay for THB, the money needing to be spent starts to add up quickly. Boy could we do with finding another Livramento or three.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/jacob-tanswell-on-southampton-summer-plans-including-flynn-downes-and-che-adams-future/

Id hoped he be returning to cover us but heard a rumour that we currently won’t have a dedicated reporter on the Athletic. 

So Jacob Tanswell has confirmed we’re looking to strengthen the goalkeeping positions, centre back, left back, centre midfield, right wing and striker. So pretty much the whole team them 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So Jacob Tanswell has confirmed we’re looking to strengthen the goalkeeping positions, centre back, left back, centre midfield, right wing and striker. So pretty much the whole team them 

But have got fck all money to do it with apparently. 

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

As said the other day, and I will repeat until the end of the window, we do not have much money to spend - at all. Expect Downes and then very low expenditure. 

If true (and I don’t disbelieve you), what an absolute joke PSR is.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I looked at the squad after promotion and figured there’s a strong case for 10+ players. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

How much will Downes cost? £12 million?

they know we want him, so won't let him go for buttons, but realistically, is there another buyer? If not, that should prevent it getting out of hand. I'd be making a well publicised bid for Sara at Norwich to ensure West Ham know we are not tied to him.

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

But have got fck all money to do it with apparently. 

We’ll be coming straight back down then

Quite a few clubs in the bottom half seem to be skint, so the gap between the top and bottom is only going to grow.

How much money could we generate from selling the players we don't want or need this summer?  

Calera-Car £5M

Perraud £3M

Lyanco £1M

Ounachu £10M

Sulemana £10M

Mara £10M

ABK £12M

Alcaraz £15M

Aribo £5M

Bree £1M

With a rough guess at their values maybe between £50-60M - but how much of that would go on paying out their contracts? Quite a lot I guess. Probably about half of it I would guess.

Unfortunately I think Downes will cost the best part of £20M or more as West Ham know we are a bit desperate to sign him - that's if they let him go.

16 minutes ago, Rebel said:

How much money could we generate from selling the players we don't want or need this summer?  

Calera-Car £5M

Perraud £3M

Lyanco £1M

Ounachu £10M

Sulemana £10M

Mara £10M

ABK £12M

Alcaraz £15M

Aribo £5M

Bree £1M

With a rough guess at their values maybe between £50-60M - but how much of that would go on paying out their contracts? Quite a lot I guess. Probably about half of it I would guess.

Unfortunately I think Downes will cost the best part of £20M or more as West Ham know we are a bit desperate to sign him - that's if they let him go.

I thought the figure mentioned for Carleta-Car was €3.5m, and Perraud €3m, so that's less straight away. We ain't getting £10m for Onuachu. I reckon €8m tops, but more likely another loan. £10m for Mara? Not sure who is paying that. A french club might want him, but not the clubs that have that kind of money. Aribo seems fair enough. Bree also. I get the feeling the club just won't let Sulemana, ABK and Alcaraz go cheaply, but perhaps they will be more tempted this summer than last. Not sure buyers are going to be more tempted to spend this summer though.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought the figure mentioned for Carleta-Car was €3.5m, and Perraud €3m, so that's less straight away. We ain't getting £10 for Onuachu. I reckon €8m tops, but more likely another loan. £10m for Mara? Not sure who is paying that. A french club might want him, but not the clubs that have that kind of money. Aribo seems fair enough. Bree also. I get the feeling the club just won't let Sulemana, ABK and Alcaraz go cheaply, but perhaps they will be more tempted this summer than last. Not sure buyers are going to be more tempted to spend this summer though.

I'm getting more convinced we will sell kwp for 25-30 million. We can probably get an adequate rb in for half that and use the rest to strengthen. Just makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just realized that Ryan Sessesgnon is available on a free.

Feels like the kind of signing we’ve had success with before - a young talent who was at a big club to early so they didn’t get game time e.g Romeu, Bertrand and Hojberg. 

HCDAJFU

Edited by bennyev
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bennyev said:

Just realized that Ryan Sessesgnon is available on a free.

Feels like the kind of signing we’ve had success with before - a young talent who was at a big club to early so they didn’t get game time e.g Romeu, Bertrand and Hojberg. 

HCDAJFU

This is exactly what I think too in regards to Sessengon.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Just more shit from Tanswell, why people give him column inchest beyond me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

New PL-Quality GK

KWP      THB    New PLQ CB    New PLQ LB

Downes    New PLQ DM

Armstrong      New PLQ AM     Fraser

New PLQ CF 

Bench made up of some combo of: McC, Bednarek, Stephens, Smallbone, Aribo, Edozie, Charles, SAA, Stewart, Lallana, Ghoddos, Ings

Sack off: Bree, Manning, Sulemana, Mara, Adams

That would have a decent chance (dependent of course on how the signings work out), but even then there are question marks over Arma and Fraser as PL-quality starters every week. 

Jesus, we have a big task ahead of us, no doubt about that. 

Can’t see even half of that happening plus Ghoddos and particularly Ings have yet to join us (is Ings really on the radar anyway?). GK’s will be McC and Lumley, with Baz coming back next year. CB’s will be same as those on the books…maybe with the addition of ABK. LB’s will be Manning and Bree - RM will want to give his mate a shot at the big time (a big mistake IMO). Smallbone will be given a shot at sitting next to Downes - Charles and Ghoddos if he joins will be cover.  We’ve got an abundance of AMF players on the books. I don’t think Sulemana is going anywhere and unfortunately I suspect Mara will be given more rope too. Adams will likely move on in which case a new bargain basement striker will be required - maybe Ings.

We're not splashing big money around this window…it’s just not financially viable if the information I’ve been told is accurate. I’m hoping it’s not, because that line up will not be enough to keep us out of the bottom three.

6 hours ago, Rebel said:

Calera-Car £5M

Perraud £3M

Lyanco £1M

Ounachu £10M

Sulemana £10M

Mara £10M

ABK £12M

Alcaraz £15M

Aribo £5M

Bree £1M

No one is paying 10m for Tall Paul, Sulemana or Mara. We'd be lucky to get 10m for all three.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

Calera-Car £5M

Perraud £3M

Lyanco £1M

Ounachu £10M

Sulemana £10M

Mara £10M

ABK £12M

Alcaraz £15M

Aribo £5M

Bree £1M

Mara for £10m

What the frack?!?

10 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

How is this possible though, given the fact that we pretty much recuperated all the money we spent from 22/23 last year?

Because we had an approx £100m drop in revenue in the Championship last season. In 2021/2022 we made a £43m loss without the sale of players. So...

2022/2023: £120m loss

2023/2024: £85m profit

2024/2025: £70m loss (including £25m in transfers)

Means a loss of £105m over 3 years.

Next season we will be able to make a £120m loss, so £75m in transfers. Please also remember that player sales are included against that year's P&L, whereas transfers are amortised over the length of the contract, so every year we are still paying for legacy players.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

We’ll be coming straight back down then

Quite a few clubs in the bottom half seem to be skint, so the gap between the top and bottom is only going to grow.

Agree totally, though I’m not sure it’s being skint it’s more being restricted in what they can spend. Which is also why I said PSR is a joke - the advantage remains firmly with the top teams and the gap will get bigger, which is what they wanted from the outset (it’s just taken a while to get there).

Also, as a founding and well respected member of the COT, you obviously knew this already right… 😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Because we had an approx £100m drop in revenue in the Championship last season. In 2021/2022 we made a £43m loss without the sale of players. So...

Next season we will be able to make a £120m loss, so £75m in transfers. Please also remember that player sales are included against that year's P&L, whereas transfers are amortised over the length of the contract, so every year we are still paying for legacy players.

Thank you for that explanation. Really makes it easier to understand the underlying financial dynamics at play. 

@Farmer Saint does Promotion to the EPL offer any upwards player value adjustment in accounting terms? 

I know current EPL players (informally) seem to command a premium over non EPL players but do you have any thoughts or knowledge on if that is actually true and detectable in player valuations upon our promotion?
In a nutshell if our Championship squad was valued at say £150m last year has the squad (all things remaining equal) now suddenly become valued at say £180m purely cos it’s an EPL squad? 

Edited by gio1saints

55 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Does the £100M drop in revenue include the parachute payments? 

I think we will get Downes, a starting keeper, a starting left back and a starting striker. And maby another young CM/DM.

Won't buy another AM if we get both Lallana and Ghoddos. Could get another winger if we sell Sulemana, but i don't expect so. 

Keep Alcaraz, Aribo, ABK. 

That will give us

New keeper(lumley, Baz)

KWP(Bree, Youth)

ABK, Stephens, Bednarek, THB 

New LB (Manning, Youth)

Downes(Smallbone, Charles, new CM/DM)

Smallbone, Aribo, Lallana, Ghoddos, Alcaraz

Arma, Sulemana, Fraser, Edozie, (youth)

New striker, Stewart, Mara

We will struggle this season.

22 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Thank you for that explanation. Really makes it easier to understand the underlying financial dynamics at play. 

@Farmer Saint does Promotion to the EPL offer any upwards player value adjustment in accounting terms? 

I know current EPL players (informally) seem to command a premium over non EPL players but do you have any thoughts or knowledge on if that is actually true and detectable in player valuations upon our promotion?
In a nutshell if our Championship squad was valued at say £150m last year has the squad (all things remaining equal) now suddenly become valued at say £180m purely cos it’s an EPL squad? 

No, cos that's Balance Sheet, not P&L. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Yeah, but they're illustrative numbers, not 100% correct. However, you can see the basic maths behind it. 

You sound more like an accountant than a farmer- they sure breed some clever farmers in Sussex 😁

6 minutes ago, LeG said:

Contrary to what Alfie House has posted on twitter, I have heard we are interested in Danny Ings. A loan I imagine.

Loan would be good depending on fee or if WHU subsidising wages

22 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

I think we will get Downes, a starting keeper, a starting left back and a starting striker. And maby another young CM/DM.

Won't buy another AM if we get both Lallana and Ghoddos. Could get another winger if we sell Sulemana, but i don't expect so. 

Keep Alcaraz, Aribo, ABK. 

That will give us

New keeper(lumley, Baz)

KWP(Bree, Youth)

ABK, Stephens, Bednarek, THB 

New LB (Manning, Youth)

Downes(Smallbone, Charles, new CM/DM)

Smallbone, Aribo, Lallana, Ghoddos, Alcaraz

Arma, Sulemana, Fraser, Edozie, (youth)

New striker, Stewart, Mara

We will struggle this season.

In the Championship, boy did our squad look strong. But in the Prem, we look incredibly lightweight. Struggle is right.

I was really looking forward to this summer transfer window, but the current links to players and noises about financial constraints are taking the shine off it a little. I hope we can make at least a couple of exciting signings.

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Swissramble has much different numbers for our 23 number ? says 93.5m

Screenshot 2024-06-19 094806.png

32 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

You sound more like an accountant than a farmer- they sure breed some clever farmers in Sussex 😁

Loan would be good depending on fee or if WHU subsidising wages

How do you think Farmers run their businesses..?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Swissramble has much different numbers for our 23 number ? says 93.5m

Screenshot 2024-06-19 094806.png

Not sure where it fits in exactly, but I was told there was a debt left behind by Goa but it was the interest on that debt that was increasingly crippling the clubs finances. Promotion to the Prem was absolutely essential to maintain any sort of decent squad and infrastructure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, benjii said:

No one is paying 10m for Tall Paul, Sulemana or Mara. We'd be lucky to get 10m for all three.

Dunno he scored 14 goals last season that is at least worth 10m, but expect it will be another loan.

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Dunno he scored 14 goals last season that is at least worth 10m, but expect it will be another loan.

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes or what was written in his contract but I would have given a right go in the Championship. If he could have scored a few goals that would have given him the momentum in the premier league this season. 

I also rated Sulemana. He was good fun to watch.

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Contrary to what Alfie House has posted on twitter, I have heard we are interested in Danny Ings. A loan I imagine.

Not a loan, willing to pay up to 6m, Ings assessing all his options (Daily Fail).

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Calera-Car £5M

Perraud £3M

Lyanco £1M

Ounachu £10M

Sulemana £10M

Mara £10M

ABK £12M

Alcaraz £15M

Aribo £5M

Bree £1M

Like all players Downes is only worth what other clubs are prepared to pay for him. They will need to be realistic if they want to sell him to raise funds and get him off their wage bill.

• Like 1