Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

...awful signing.

Not an awful player I should point out, but I see it as a complete failure on the part of our scouting system to identify a left back that was good enough for the Prem. 

I wonder what other left backs were available that summer.

I wonder if the club looked at Ian Maatsen. Think he went to Coventry on loan the season we got Perraud.

15 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Another signing that’s resulted in a loss. He isn’t a Martin style player, so better to recoup something and move on. It’s an area we have needed to improve since Bertrand, it’s a shame Targett wasn’t still around when Bertrand was finished.

I make the fee 1/4 of what we paid but he has 1/4 of his contract left. Not played hardly for a year, can’t really argue.

Side note, Bertrand has retired today. Best LB we’ve had (for a sustained period of time), whilst I’ve been watching us.

We should never have sold Targett - should have sold Bertrand instead or at least had a proper succession plan with Targett getting more and more game time.  

From the interview with Tanswell its sounds like we don't have that much money to spend and will be making use of the loans market as much as we can. I hope that's not true - but it sounds likely.  Your only allowed 2 premier league loans I think so we are going to have to spend some money whether they like it or not if we are to have any chance of staying up.

If that is the case I'd be more than happy to see Targett come back on loan from Newcastle - maybe with an obligation to buy if we stay up.  He has 2 years left on his contract and they seem to want to move him on  as they have a lot of options at left back. Would make sense for everyone?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rebel said:

We should never have sold Targett - should have sold Bertrand instead or at least had a proper succession plan with Targett getting more and more game time.  

From the interview with Tanswell its sounds like we don't have that much money to spend and will be making use of the loans market as much as we can. I hope that's not true - but it sounds likely.  Your only allowed 2 premier league loans I think so we are going to have to spend some money whether they like it or not if we are to have any chance of staying up.

If that is the case I'd be more than happy to see Targett come back on loan from Newcastle - maybe with an obligation to buy if we stay up.  He has 2 years left on his contract and they seem to want to move him on  as they have a lot of options at left back. Would make sense for everyone?

Where is the Tanswell interview, is this recent?

22 minutes ago, Rebel said:

We had Sam McQueen as a perfectly good understudy, but you know how that ended up. I believe Matthew Targett was sold to fund the transfer of one of our strikers - Che Adams possibly. I'd be happy to have him back. It does look like the purse strings are tighter now. Not sure if how much is down to FFP or Sport Republic going in the other direction, having blown the bank to prop up Nathan Jones.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

New gk 

Kwp bednarek THB Targett 

Downes Smallbone/Ghoddos 

Armstrong new AM Lallana/Fraser

Ings/Miovski/Stewart 

Shows how much work we still have to do because even if we made some of those rumoured signings, that team is weaker than last year at present. 

24 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Where is the Tanswell interview, is this recent?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/jacob-tanswell-on-southampton-summer-plans-including-flynn-downes-and-che-adams-future/

Id hoped he be returning to cover us but heard a rumour that we currently won’t have a dedicated reporter on the Athletic. 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

New gk 

Kwp bednarek THB Targett 

Downes Smallbone/Ghoddos 

Ings/Miovski/Stewart 

Shows how much work we still have to do because even if we made some of those rumoured signings, that team is weaker than last year at present. 

Ghoddos is not a central midfielder

If Ings can stay fit,  i'd sign him for circa £5M for sure. Our possession play and constant running off the ball generates a lot of quick play and chances around the box. Time and again we've been let down by the finishing, and Ings is a superb finisher... Those goals would keep us up.

Big ifs though. Is he fit enough? And is he available for the right price?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If Ings can stay fit,  i'd sign him for circa £5M for sure. Our possession play and constant running off the ball generates a lot of quick play and chances around the box. Time and again we've been let down by the finishing, and Ings is a superb finisher... Those goals would keep us up.

Price probably wouldn't be too difficult to negotiate. Wages on the other hand could be problematic.

• Like 1

I'm very conflicted about Ings and his possible return. He is very experienced at this level and can score goals out of nothing. If he can stay fit he could be a very shrewd signing. Players returning to clubs they have played for previously i'm never really sure about to be honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

New gk 

Kwp bednarek THB Targett 

Downes Smallbone/Ghoddos 

Ings/Miovski/Stewart 

Yeah, any combination of that side is going down. 

I think (hope) that the Ghoddos/ Lallana type signings (and rumours like Ings) would just be about picking up decent-ish squad players available without a transfer fee at this stage of the game, and that the 'proper' signings would start after the Euros once the focus comes back onto the league. 

Edited by Midfield_General

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah, any combination of that side is going down 

I'd say we need at least 6 upgrades on the first 11 to stand a chance. Can't see us making that many so we may be relying on a bit of luck. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I agree with much of what you say, except for the price. He is 32 next month and in the last year of his contract, he will also be on mega wages, I'd be surprised if West Ham wouldn't want to get rid on that basis, so I'd hope that Saints wouldn't be interested unless the price came down significantly - say £2m ? 

New PL-Quality GK

KWP      THB    New PLQ CB    New PLQ LB

Downes    New PLQ DM

Armstrong      New PLQ AM     Fraser

New PLQ CF 

Bench made up of some combo of: McC, Bednarek, Stephens, Smallbone, Aribo, Edozie, Charles, SAA, Stewart, Lallana, Ghoddos, Ings

Sack off: Bree, Manning, Sulemana, Mara, Adams

That would have a decent chance (dependent of course on how the signings work out), but even then there are question marks over Arma and Fraser as PL-quality starters every week. 

Jesus, we have a big task ahead of us, no doubt about that. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sfc4prem said:

Kotchap and Alcaraz will be back, yeah?

The question is how well do they fit into our system, or should we be looking to sell to fund players that may suit us better. Alcaraz ball retention isn’t up to Martin’s standards but he does have an xfactor about him. ABK has so many great attributes but is so injury prone. Has his recent shoulder surgery now fixed that. Both present a real gamble if we are to rely on them as starters but they have the potential to be fantastic players IMO. It’s a difficult call but with survival being the aim, perhaps the money would be better spent on lesser gambles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The worst part about the absolutely massive amount of squad building we require is that we’ll probably still lose our best player (KWP) due to him only having a year left on his deal.

Not seen any rumours about him being offered a new contract. Surely we will be?

12 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

New PL-Quality GK

KWP      THB    New PLQ CB    New PLQ LB

Downes    New PLQ DM

Armstrong      New PLQ AM     Fraser

New PLQ CF 

Bench made up of some combo of: McC, Bednarek, Stephens, Smallbone, Aribo, Edozie, Charles, SAA, Stewart, Lallana, Ghoddos, Ings

Sack off: Bree, Manning, Sulemana, Mara, Adams

That would have a decent chance (dependent of course on how the signings work out), but even then there are question marks over Arma and Fraser as PL-quality starters every week. 

Jesus, we have a big task ahead of us, no doubt about that. 

Ain’t happening mate even at an average of £20m per player that’s £120m not including any other fees plus wages.

• Like 1

Priorities should be:

1) New GK

2) CM 

3) Striker

4) LB

5) AM

6) CM #2

Do we have the money for that? If we don't, it'll likely be an up-hill task, most probably culminating in relegation. 

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Ain’t happening mate even at an average of £20m per player that’s £120m not including any other fees plus wages.

Oh I know, I don't think it's what will actually happen - just what I personally think is needed to go into the season feeling confident. I know it's not remotely likely! 

Just now, Midfield_General said:

Oh I know, I don't think it's what will actually happen - just what I personally think is needed to go into the season feeling confident. I know it's not remotely likely! 

The grim reality of having a seat at the top table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

We had Sam McQueen as a perfectly good understudy, but you know how that ended up. I believe Matthew Targett was sold to fund the transfer of one of our strikers - Che Adams possibly. I'd be happy to have him back. It does look like the purse strings are tighter now. Not sure if how much is down to FFP or Sport Republic going in the other direction, having blown the bank to prop up Nathan Jones.

your probably right about needing the money for a striker - I think at the time I thought it was a mistake to keep Bertrand and sell Targett for the long term - but at the time Bertrand was the better left back

With an expected low budget we must hope the scouts such as Mowbray come up trumps. We'll probably need them to uncover a couple of young unknown gems from left field who prove worth the gamble and blend that with one or two newly sourced older heads who bring experience. Add a capable new keeper and mix in existing squad members who we expect to step up and we may create a decent team. We've had mixed success but must hope for signings along the lines of Lambert, Berkovic, Eklund, Mane, Svensson, Lovren, Van Dyke, Schneiderlin, Davis, Wanyama and Romeu - the gems within our budget are out there and need to be identified but we know how tricky that can be because there's an awful lot of overpriced dross - the wheat needs to be sifted from the chaff.

Kotarkski  (Lumley)

KWP (Bree)                     Bednarek (Stephens/Woods)         THB (Rodon/ABK)             Targett (Manning)

Downes (Charles)

Smallbone (Lallana)                                     Aribo (Ghoddos/Alcaraz)

Adarma                                          Mioviski (Stewart /Bereton-Diaz)                             Clarke (Fraser / Edozie)

That looks a little bit better based on some of the rumours (and hopes) but still needs a lot of work to stay up.

Edited by Rebel

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

Priorities should be:

1) New GK

2) CM 

3) Striker

4) LB

5) AM

6) CM #2

Do we have the money for that? If we don't, it'll likely be an up-hill task, most probably culminating in relegation. 

Can't see us buying 4 new midfielders - your numbers 2, 5 and 6.  Assuming we buy Downes and Fraser I think we'll then loan a keeper as a starter because we still see Baz as the future, buy a LB, ST and AM. For me the big money needs to go one Downes (or an equivalent if WHam won't sell) followed by a striker.  I'm happy enough if that big money is in the form of a loan if a permanent buy is out of our reach in terms of funds.

Leaves a squad something like (playing either 4-3-3 or 5-3-2):

GK - New loan, Baz, Lumley

Def - KWP, ABK, THB, Jan, Jack, Bree, Manning, New LB

Mid - Ghoddos, Downes, Smallbone, Aribo, New AM, Lallana, Charles

Attack - Adarma, Stewart, New striker, Frazer, Edozie, SAA, Sule

I'm assuming the DCC, Onuachu, Alcaraz, Perraud don't return from their loans / we sell them.

Edited by Alanh
Forgot Charles

I'd be surprised to see us go away from the 5-3-2, especially given that CB is probably our strongest depth and it was trusted in the important games at the end of the season.

?

KWP - THB - Bednarek - ABK - Fraser

Smallbone - ?/Downes - ?

A. Armstrong - ?

Suddenly looks a little less daunting in terms of incomings. Potential for players like Stewart, Alcaraz and Lallana to fill those gaps if we don't get business done before August as well.

Definitely not an exciting team, you have to say.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/jacob-tanswell-on-southampton-summer-plans-including-flynn-downes-and-che-adams-future/

Id hoped he be returning to cover us but heard a rumour that we currently won’t have a dedicated reporter on the Athletic. 

I wouldn’t be too disheartened. The Athletic is a bit of a rag that rehashes stories. 

• Like 1

Talksport linking us to Cameron Archer. We’ve been linked in previous windows. 4 goals in 29 apps last season for Sheffield United. 11 in 22 in the championship previously for Boro.

25 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Talksport linking us to Cameron Archer. We’ve been linked in previous windows. 4 goals in 29 apps last season for Sheffield United. 11 in 22 in the championship previously for Boro.

Ticks the “available for loan” box & as you say, yet another previous link.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Sounds about right. They'll just throw out some negative articles on us every couple of months, I expect. 

Completely disagree with the board consensus on Perraud. We were really poor in relegation from the premier league, but Perraud was one of our bright sparks and was solid. Had a goal in him too, especially in the FA Cup.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

As said the other day, and I will repeat until the end of the window, we do not have much money to spend - at all. Expect Downes and then very low expenditure. 

I still don't get this. Dragon what's his name stated the other day that if we avoid relegation it's worth up to £305,000,000. Still don't understand how  we're broke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldandtired said:

I still don't get this. Dragon what's his name stated the other day that if we avoid relegation it's worth up to £305,000,000. Still don't understand how  we're broke.

FFP. Next year will be very different due to the 3 year rolling commitments.

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1