Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Bertrand did. He started for Chelsea when they beat Bayern Munich in 2012. Played most of the game got subbed off towards the end of normal time. Romeu was an unused sub that day. Hojberg never won the champions league though.

My bad, I thought PEH had a medal. He was in the Bayern squad when they won in 2012/13, but he didn't play any European games so he would not have qualified for a medal. 

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Thought Lima to Chelsea may have put to bed the KWP links, they already have James and Gusto anyway, but looks like Wolves have hijacked the deal.

I'm not normally one for "why would he go there?!" but Gusto and James are both top class, if James can get any sort of fitness he'd literally never play.

9 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Some Serbian players looked tidy last night who don't play for huge teams, would be a surprise if we don't pick up some players for the 'other' nations from this tournament. 

El Hadji Diouf syndrome

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Bertrand did. He started for Chelsea when they beat Bayern Munich in 2012. Played most of the game got subbed off towards the end of normal time. Romeu was an unused sub that day. Hojberg never won the champions league though.

Easy to forget how good a player Ryan Bertrand was for us, could so do with the 2024 versions of Steven Davis, Romeu and Bertrand now. Signed under Koeman £10m from Chelsea aged 24, 214 appearances, and all bar two of his 19 England caps with Saints. Absolute steal.   

• Like 17

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Some Serbian players looked tidy last night who don't play for huge teams, would be a surprise if we don't pick up some players for the 'other' nations from this tournament. 

england even managed to make Tadic look like a world beater in his prime to be fair

• Like 2

Not sure our Croatian owners will be so keen ...

• Confused 2

Prefer us to look at teams that didn’t make euros. Paying a premium for post euro/wc players tends to be an awful idea.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Prefer us to look at teams that didn’t make euros. Paying a premium for post euro/wc players tends to be an awful idea.

Agreed, we should be all over San Marino, Andorra and Luxembourg internationals 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Agreed, we should be all over San Marino, Andorra and Luxembourg internationals 

If they’re as good as Haaland or Odegaard I’m ok with that 

I find it amusing that there are some people like DT who are creaming themselves for the return for some former players, or players we loaned out last year so they can play their part.

Why? They wanted out.

They bailed and didn’t want to stick around when things got tough. Why on earth would you want those people to play a part now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I find it amusing that there are some people like DT who are creaming themselves for the return for some former players, or players we loaned out last year so they can play their part.

Why? They wanted out.

They bailed and didn’t want to stick around when things got tough. Why on earth would you want those people to play a part now?

This is nonsense. Nobody "bailed". Footballers have short careers and anyone with any sense will move to bigger and better clubs and/or for more cash. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, egg said:

This is nonsense. Nobody "bailed". Footballers have short careers and anyone with any sense will move to bigger and better clubs and/or for more cash. 

May have even been financial implications for us allowing them to leave on loan. No problem with any of them coming back. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, egg said:

And in many cases it will have been a mutual decision because the club needed to raise transfer fees and/or get their wages off the books following relegation. Mad how many people don't realise this and just lazily portray the player as being disloyal.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

May have even been financial implications for us allowing them to leave on loan. No problem with any of them coming back. 

We are technically £25m up in transfer fees (plus any add ons when Liverpool sold him).

That's pretty good business in anyone's book.

11 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I wonder why we haven't announced Harwood-Bellis signing yet. 

I think it was announced at 5pm on the Sunday of our playoff final win. From the horses mouth and also from Phil Parsons the following day.

Probably feel it doesn't need an announcement as they announced it themselves.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it was announced at 5pm on the Sunday of our playoff final win. From the horses mouth and also from Phil Parsons the following day.

The more they can push signings in to a new financial year contractually the better id guess. Announcements will likely come post 1st July. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

No it wasn't. Still have to transfer his registration and he has to sign a contract and we have to pay a fee. Although we had an obligation to buy when could still renege (not saying we will). But it is a fact that he could not become our player until June 14 at the earliest. My only thought is that his contract at Citeh does not expire until 30 June and that's when he will actually be transferred. I don't seriously doubt it will happen, but just a little niggle in the back of my mind.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Or he’s done a Toby 😨 

3 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

€3m for Perraud - deal almost done according to Fabrizio Romano

Surely that's a loan move for such a small amount?  I'd rather have him as a squad player than get rid of him €3m.  He's better than Manning, and can't have a huge salary

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I know he only has 12 months to run on his contract, but that's an awful fee!

Another signing that’s resulted in a loss. He isn’t a Martin style player, so better to recoup something and move on. It’s an area we have needed to improve since Bertrand, it’s a shame Targett wasn’t still around when Bertrand was finished.

I make the fee 1/4 of what we paid but he has 1/4 of his contract left. Not played hardly for a year, can’t really argue.

Side note, Bertrand has retired today. Best LB we’ve had (for a sustained period of time), whilst I’ve been watching us.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Not sure we could have realistically expected anything more. I think we paid £7.5m for him? We were never making that back as he was a big let down for us at this level.

Great enthusiasm but rubbish when it came to the football side of it.

If we did pay €12M then we’ve  got the remaining accounting value of him so no loss (or gain) to go through this years accounts. It’s a wage off the books which is the positive, so frees up funds to go elsewhere.

• Like 4

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Not sure we could have realistically expected anything more. I think we paid £7.5m for him? We were never making that back as he was a big let down for us at this level.

Transfer fee was €12m in July 2021.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

If we get a fee AND we get wages off the books permanetly, it’s a win in the current market.

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Wow, we overspent on him.

I remember beating Leeds to his signature, they ended up with Firpo at €15m. Both are valued at €5m now on Transfermarkt and both turned out to be poor signings.

4 hours ago, egg said:

Yes, and also, the club might have wanted them out for financial reason. The Alcaraz move (with large loan fee) for example.

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I wonder why we haven't announced Harwood-Bellis signing yet. 

Probably for FFP reasons - (accounting windows run until end of june i think?)

44 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

€3m for Perraud - deal almost done according to Fabrizio Romano

Thats a shame, could easily have done a job for us in Martin's system and far better than what we've got (Manning/Bree). For such a cheap fee its shame to let him go and still need to sign at least one full back / wing back for both sides.

Edited by Saint86

23 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

...awful signing.

Not an awful player I should point out, but I see it as a complete failure on the part of our scouting system to identify a left back that was good enough for the Prem. 

12 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I remember beating Leeds to his signature, they ended up with Firpo at €15m. Both are valued at €5m now on Transfermarkt and both turned out to be poor signings.

I wonder what other left backs were available that summer.

13 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Southampton have enquired about West Ham striker Danny Ings and are willing to offer up to £6m for the 31-year-old [Daily Mail]

Is this actually happening?!

How would people feel if we ended up with Ings and Miovski? I'd say it could work but equally it would be a big risk given we have Stewart. I think we'd need a big money AM to provide service just in case it doesn't work out. 

14 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Southampton have enquired about West Ham striker Danny Ings and are willing to offer up to £6m for the 31-year-old [Daily Mail]

Is this actually happening?!

the Mail has a 24.8% football transfer rumour accuracy score. So a one in four chance!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, egg said:

Also nonsense that I actually am 'creaming' myself for the return of any players, least of all JWP. Just said he would be okay if in addition to Downes, certainly not instead,. Anyway, he hasn't left, has he? Sure someone said he DEFINITELY wasn't going. Using their contacts, and that

😉

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Probably for FFP reasons - (accounting windows run until end of june i think?)

I *think* loans last until the 30th June as well (albeit this could be me confusing Football Manager with reality 😅), so it would make sense for the official signing date to be 1st July.

• Like 2