Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Linked with Saman Ghoddos on a free. I'll be honest I have never heard of him. 

Saw him playing for Östersund before he moved to a bigger club, can't remember what team. Haven't seen him sense he swapped Sweden for Irans national team. 

Was a good young player when i saw him. Didn't know he played for Brighton.

On 28/05/2024 at 09:08, Nolan said:

Reading the recent Athletic article that explains Martin has a ‘Train how we play’ methodology, you would have to admit if you're going to 'Train how we play'  it would be useful to be doing it with some people who have played in the Premier League recently.

although Lallana wasn't an ever present on the pitch last season for Brighton, he did play over 45 minutes 13 times.

Saman Ghoddos also fits into this perfectly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

So someone who couldnt barely get a kick at Brentford, loving the ambition 

We've ticked off a player that barely got a kick for:

Brighton

● Brentford

Next up?

2 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

We've ticked off a player that barely got a kick for:

Brighton

● Brentford

Next up?

Only Burnley and Bournemouth left.

Addad Bournemouth 

Edited by kjurwi
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

One of our biggest issues during our 9 out of 10 summer transfer window of 2022 was the lack of experience added to the team, certainly premier league experience. It was a credible criticism of our transfer strategy at the time and a fundamental reason as to why we were relegated.

This season we are clearly trying a slightly different approach, we've learnt our lessons and we're targeting experienced, PL players before anything else. Adding experience to the squad and training is just as important as to adding to the first team, you want to drive standards and experience helps that. Loads of young Man City kids still in their bibs at dinner don't.

That's not saying never, ever sign young kids - but the priorities have got to be right, they are an after thought especially when we're building a squad after promotion.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 11

If we buy Players from the championship, there are the "premier league is too high a level" complaints.

Now we're getting people who have played in the premier League last season it's "didn't get enough minutes" complaints. 

Is there a correct amounts of minutes played that we should be looking for?

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

One of our biggest issues during our 9 out of 10 summer transfer window of 2022 was the lack of experience added to the team, certainly premier league experience. It was a credible criticism of our transfer strategy at the time and a fundamental reason as to why we were relegated.

This season we are clearly trying a slightly different approach, we've learnt our lessons and we're targeting experienced, PL players before anything else. Adding experience to the squad and training is just as important as to adding to the first team, you want to drive standards and experience helps that. Loads of young Man City kids still in their bibs at dinner don't.

That's not saying never, ever sign young kids - but the priorities have got to be right, they are an after thought especially when we're building a squad after promotion.

I don’t think anyone sensible would disagree with the notion of signing a few proven older heads. Lawrie made his name by it and it’s definitely something we need imo if we are to stay up. We’ve got some decent PL experience already in our squad but I think the spine would absolutely benefit from a few older heads who will start and play most games.

Personally I don’t see the big attraction in Lallana unless he’s come very cheap (and I doubt he has).  I’d hope we’ve got enough big personalities in the squad already for the off pitch support he’s supposed to be bringing.  On it, just don’t think he’ll be on the pitch enough to be a huge driving force.

Whatever. Hopefully he’ll be a benefit but I’m not expecting much.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Glad we are getting in some cheap experience for this league. Should hopefully complement the bigger names to come (hopefully Downes, an attacker and AM for bigger money.)

We should bring Jamal Musiala back.

51 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

We are bringing in experience for the squad positions and free transfers will be first because they are currently available. Why don't we wait to see where we spunk our money first. 

• Like 1

Ghoddos 

Lallana 

Fraser 

So that's a decent amount of experience but three average prem players. Good for the squad but after this we need as much quality as we can afford in key positions if we want to stay up. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ghoddos 

Lallana 

Fraser 

So that's a decent amount of experience but three average prem players. Good for the squad but after this we need as much quality as we can afford in key positions if we want to stay up. 

Don't forget THB, that's a decent chunk of our budget (£22m ish) on him. Not sure we'll be flashing as much cash as some expect, will expect a focus on loans as we go through August.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

I don’t think anyone sensible would disagree with the notion of signing a few proven older heads. Lawrie made his name by it and it’s definitely something we need imo if we are to stay up. We’ve got some decent PL experience already in our squad but I think the spine would absolutely benefit from a few older heads who will start and play most games.

Agree with you.

But Lawrie didn’t just sign older heads, he signed quality. A World Cup winner, a twice promoted (and current Northern Ireland) CB, a former England full back, a former European Cup winning midfielder.

I don’t see many with these on their CV signing up ( apart from Lallana Champions League perhaps).

( And this is without mentioning a current European footballer of the year, and England GK). 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ghoddos 

Lallana 

Fraser 

Yep, signed the old heads, now need the capable young legs.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't forget THB, that's a decent chunk of our budget (£22m ish) on him. Not sure we'll be flashing as much cash as some expect, will expect a focus on loans as we go through August.

Would imagine its extremely obvious to the ownership that in order to stay up we will need a huge injection of quality, over and above securing THB and possibly Downes. Utterly pointless for the ownership to fight to keep the likes of KWP, Bednarek, Adams last season to go up and then just tamely go back down again.

Agree it makes sense to bring in a couple of PL experienced players and personally think people are underestimating the influence Lallana can have - he is widely respected amongst players and De Zerbi really wanted to keep him. Important to train at PL level and Lallana has largely only played in successful PL squads - but not expecting much output from him.

Hopefully by doing this we can spend on the areas that are really needed - in attacking areas (where we are set to lose our best central striker for free) and at GK, LB in particular. 

One thing is certain - don't spend and we simply won't stay up because our squad is easily in the three worst now and others will strengthen too - its a long window.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree with you.

But Lawrie didn’t just sign older heads, he signed quality. A World Cup winner, a twice promoted (and current Northern Ireland) CB, a former England full back, a former European Cup winning midfielder.

I don’t see many with these on their CV signing up ( apart from Lallana Champions League perhaps).

( And this is without mentioning a current European footballer of the year, and England GK). 

Yeah totally, that was part of my point. You can sign “experience” but if they’re not a player who is good enough to displace what you’ve already got, it’s meaningless.  Id love us to get a spine of decent PL proven players but if they’re not rightfully going to start every game above what we’ve got then don’t bother.

Lallana seems, at best, to be a nice-to-have rather than a need-to-have. And for the pedantic point, he may have a champions league medal but he didn’t play in the final and featured in only 3 CL games all season. He also started 5 league games for them that season. Its not like he was a mainstay, he made up the numbers. Good player, but all this “he’s won medals” from certain posters is nonsense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Ghoddos 

Lallana 

Fraser 

Signing average prem players, for free, in our first season back is a pretty decent approach.

I'd be VERY happy with us being an average prem team this season!

• Like 10

I think we should bring Paul Onuachu back into the fold. My FM game seems to rate him according to the glitch that just happened...

20240616_061321.thumb.jpg.247634eb05808d2b43243b741696a0ab.jpg

EDIT - the actual scorer of the hattrick was... Sekou Mara.

Edited by SNSUN

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I think we should bring Paul Onuachu back into the fold. My FM game seems to rate him according to the glitch that just happened...

20240616_061321.thumb.jpg.247634eb05808d2b43243b741696a0ab.jpg

EDIT - the actual scorer of the hattrick was... Sekou Mara.

Good that the ref was happy to let it all slide.

11 hours ago, danjosaint said:

just looking at his stats and last season he played left back, right back, left midfield and attacking midfielder

• Like 1

I'd not really heard of Ghoddos before but he has a fair bit of prem experience and played half of Brentfords games last year. Looks like can fill in a number of positions including full back too. Seems a decent acquisition, maybe not a regular starter but sensible enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chownie20 said:

I'd not really heard of Ghoddos before but he has a fair bit of prem experience and played half of Brentfords games last year. Looks like can fill in a number of positions including full back too. Seems a decent acquisition, maybe not a regular starter but sensible enough. 

Bit like signing another Perraud?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

just looking at his stats and last season he played left back, right back, left midfield and attacking midfielder

I think we'll see him as a wing back.  Regardless, he'll be a decent option off the bench, and for cover generally. 

• Like 1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/saman-ghoddos/profil/spieler/204294

Suggests he is 30yo, born in Sweden with Swedish & Iranian nationality.

Played 88mins in Iran’s last game (11th June) 

Hopefully he’s the kind of ‘widely underrated and undervalued gem’ that moneyball Brentford and Brighton have been built with. Rasmus will love this signing. 

Potentially a grafter?

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

Lockdown interview when Ghoddos joined Brentford (Sept 2020)

Number 10 apparently his favourite position, and good from long range. Maybe he really is the Iranian Joe Rothwell

https://griffinpark.org/forums/threads/saman-ghoddos.134246/page-58 Brentford fans thoughts this time last year when he was out of contract and left to get married. He was resigned by them for a year.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

13 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Any sign yet of a P.L. standard goalkeeper being signed?

going to mix it up with Lumley and McCarthy until the mighty "big wall baz" Bazunu is back...around Easter.

11 hours ago, Dusic said:

Would imagine its extremely obvious to the ownership that in order to stay up we will need a huge injection of quality, over and above securing THB and possibly Downes. Utterly pointless for the ownership to fight to keep the likes of KWP, Bednarek, Adams last season to go up and then just tamely go back down again.

Agree it makes sense to bring in a couple of PL experienced players and personally think people are underestimating the influence Lallana can have - he is widely respected amongst players and De Zerbi really wanted to keep him. Important to train at PL level and Lallana has largely only played in successful PL squads - but not expecting much output from him.

Hopefully by doing this we can spend on the areas that are really needed - in attacking areas (where we are set to lose our best central striker for free) and at GK, LB in particular. 

One thing is certain - don't spend and we simply won't stay up because our squad is easily in the three worst now and others will strengthen too - its a long window.

I don't want to give too much away, as we all know LLSS, but we do not have much money to spend this season due to FFP - capital outlay has been huge over the last 2 seasons with a huge downturn in revenue. This is why teams like Norwich, Burnley and WBA have never been able to break the yoyo cycle (in a positive way). There is some money, just not loads, unless we recoup from sales. 

Please bear in mind the £20m odd for Taylor Bellis, and there is money for Downes, but outside of that it is likely to be free's/low transfer fees. 

41 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I don't want to give too much away, as we all know LLSS, but we do not have much money to spend this season due to FFP - capital outlay has been huge over the last 2 seasons with a huge downturn in revenue. This is why teams like Norwich, Burnley and WBA have never been able to break the yoyo cycle (in a positive way). There is some money, just not loads, unless we recoup from sales. 

Please bear in mind the £20m odd for Taylor Bellis, and there is money for Downes, but outside of that it is likely to be free's/low transfer fees…….

… and a quick return to the EFL Championship.

Speculate to accumulate and deal with politics later.