Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Spence is one who has a bad attitude looming over him all his career. Warnock loaned him to Forest because of it, where he was successful, but then he was more interested in posting shots at Warnock on Twitter rather than celebrating their promotion. He has since fallen out of favour with Conte and Postecoglu and Farke didn't speak too highly of him after cutting the loan short, saying Spence didn't meet the expectations off the pitch in the Championship. Didn't have any impact at Rennes either and he's now playing YouTuber charity matches.

Really, he's only been good for Forest and Genoa in his career, which I'm assuming the latter because they want to sign him.

Probably one we want to steer clear of. Reportedly, we had a lot of unprofessionalism at the club when we got relegated.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Spence is one who has a bad attitude looming over him all his career. Warnock loaned him to Forest because of it, where he was successful, but then he was more interested in posting shots at Warnock on Twitter rather than celebrating their promotion. He has since fallen out of favour with Conte and Postecoglu and Farke didn't speak too highly of him after cutting the loan short, saying Spence didn't meet the expectations off the pitch in the Championship. Didn't have any impact at Rennes either and he's now playing YouTuber charity matches.

Really, he's only been good for Forest and Genoa in his career, which I'm assuming the latter because they want to sign him.

Probably one we want to steer clear of. Reportedly, we had a lot of unprofessionalism at the club when we got relegated.

Great post Harv. I think one of the main factors in our promotion has been the team spirit that RM has managed to foster. No small feat after the previous seasons debacle. Retaining that cohesion will be key to our survival next season. 

• Like 3

Random question to fellow members but i remember someone on here about 2-3 yrs ago saying they had a nephew playing at everton, he also mentioned in later convo's his relative was on loan abroad which lead me to believe that it was Jarrod Brathwaite (PSV).

Question was i right ? and if so congrats as he looks like he's destined for the big leagues.

Edited by Convict Colony

Nathan Wood again, Swansea certainly marketing him aggressively here......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cxww44px17eo

Luke Williams expects Southampton to be among a group of clubs eyeing Swansea City defender Nathan Wood this summer.

Saints failed with two bids worth up to £10m for Wood last August.

Head coach Williams says the central defender, 22, is one of a few Swansea players attracting interest from rival clubs.

“Young players playing a lot of Championship football at a decent level will always attract attention from suitors,” Williams said.

“I can’t talk any more than that at the moment but it is fair to say that some players have attracted interest.”

Swansea have long since accepted that Wood may leave this summer, with the England Under-21 centre-back believed to be interested in moving on.

He has thrived since joining Swansea from Middlesbrough for around £400,000 in 2022, making 70 appearances and scoring one goal.

Wood was brought to Wales by Russell Martin, who had also tried to sign him when in charge at MK Dons.

Martin’s attempts to take Wood to Southampton last year failed, but Swansea are anticipating fresh offers during the upcoming transfer window.

Southampton’s hand has been strengthened in financial terms following their promotion to the Premier League, while Swansea are in a weaker position now than they were last year because of Wood’s contract situation.

Wood was signed on an initial two-year deal which was due to expire this summer, but he is under contract with the Welsh club until 2025 after they took up the option to trigger a 12-month extension in April.

Williams conceded at the end of the 2023-24 season that it was “plausible” Wood would soon be sold – and his view has not changed.

“He is still a Swansea player,” Williams added. “But he is certainly a player we are expecting interest in.

“With the contract situation and his mentality at the moment - not in any negative way, but he is very ambitious who knows there’s a lot of attention around him – I am still in the same place [regarding a potential exit].”

Williams says the fact that Martin has coached Wood before will only increase his desire to sign him for a second time.

“As head coaches, you can see the quality of a player on the pitch but unless you have worked with them, it’s very difficult to get a grasp of their personality,” said Williams, who had a spell as Martin’s assistant at Swansea.

“Unfortunately, Russell has worked with Nathan Wood and knows what a gem he is.

“I know there has been [previous] interest, then when we played Southampton [in January] they talked about how much they liked him, which is normal.

“I guess that interest hasn’t vanished, so I would expect them to be at least one of the clubs who are interested in him now.”

46 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Nathan Wood again, Swansea certainly marketing him aggressively here......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cxww44px17eo

Luke Williams expects Southampton to be among a group of clubs eyeing Swansea City defender Nathan Wood this summer.

Saints failed with two bids worth up to £10m for Wood last August.

Head coach Williams says the central defender, 22, is one of a few Swansea players attracting interest from rival clubs.

“Young players playing a lot of Championship football at a decent level will always attract attention from suitors,” Williams said.

“I can’t talk any more than that at the moment but it is fair to say that some players have attracted interest.”

Swansea have long since accepted that Wood may leave this summer, with the England Under-21 centre-back believed to be interested in moving on.

He has thrived since joining Swansea from Middlesbrough for around £400,000 in 2022, making 70 appearances and scoring one goal.

Wood was brought to Wales by Russell Martin, who had also tried to sign him when in charge at MK Dons.

Martin’s attempts to take Wood to Southampton last year failed, but Swansea are anticipating fresh offers during the upcoming transfer window.

Southampton’s hand has been strengthened in financial terms following their promotion to the Premier League, while Swansea are in a weaker position now than they were last year because of Wood’s contract situation.

Wood was signed on an initial two-year deal which was due to expire this summer, but he is under contract with the Welsh club until 2025 after they took up the option to trigger a 12-month extension in April.

Williams conceded at the end of the 2023-24 season that it was “plausible” Wood would soon be sold – and his view has not changed.

“He is still a Swansea player,” Williams added. “But he is certainly a player we are expecting interest in.

“With the contract situation and his mentality at the moment - not in any negative way, but he is very ambitious who knows there’s a lot of attention around him – I am still in the same place [regarding a potential exit].”

Williams says the fact that Martin has coached Wood before will only increase his desire to sign him for a second time.

“As head coaches, you can see the quality of a player on the pitch but unless you have worked with them, it’s very difficult to get a grasp of their personality,” said Williams, who had a spell as Martin’s assistant at Swansea.

“Unfortunately, Russell has worked with Nathan Wood and knows what a gem he is.

“I know there has been [previous] interest, then when we played Southampton [in January] they talked about how much they liked him, which is normal.

“I guess that interest hasn’t vanished, so I would expect them to be at least one of the clubs who are interested in him now.”

1 year left on contract 👀.

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

1 year left on contract 👀.

I think he's Championship at absolute best, he'll never be more than that. He was woeful last year to add to that, Swansea fans aren't big fans.

I'd be really stunned if we signed him as a PL club, if this is the level we're targeting we might as well have stayed down. I think it's just media roundabout stuff though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he's Championship at absolute best, he'll never be more than that. He was woeful last year to add to that, Swansea fans aren't big fans.

I'd be really stunned if we signed him as a PL club, if this is the level we're targeting we might as well have stayed down. I think it's just media roundabout stuff though.

I think Swansea are just trying to stir up interest, TBH.

41 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

think our interest was as a Championship club and we’ve now moved on. Hope so.

Presumably Swansea wouldn’t want to sell to us though 

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Agree, I think our interest would have passed now, especially as we then loaned and now signed THB

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Sounds a lot of money for a player they don't want. 

The talent is not in question with ESR, just the injury record. If fit enough to play regularly then £30m seems a decent price to me.

If you want players who have proven themselves capable at PL level yet are still at a young age then thats pretty much the minimum you will need to spend.

Our usual £15m will just buy unproven potential or a good track record in a poor league.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The talent is not in question with ESR, just the injury record. If fit enough to play regularly then £30m seems a decent price to me.

If you want players who have proven themselves capable at PL level yet are still at a young age then thats pretty much the minimum you will need to spend.

Our usual £15m will just buy unproven potential or a good track record in a poor league.

It's nearly always wages that are the issue,  not the transfer fee. Can't see us matching Arsenal wages.

1 hour ago, Ken Tone said:

It's nearly always wages that are the issue,  not the transfer fee. Can't see us matching Arsenal wages.

Can't see him dropping from Arsenal to Saints. We just aren't an attractive proposition for players from these prestige clubs.

• Like 1

Two blokes taken at far too young ages. Thoughts to Sarkic and Campbell's families. 

Remember Sarkic playing very well against us in February. Wish we had him that day rather then Baz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Kevin Campbell has also died. What a horrible, horrible day.

He was in hospital with sepsis apparently. Only 54 years old. RIP

Edited by sadoldgit

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can't see him dropping from Arsenal to Saints. We just aren't an attractive proposition for players from these prestige clubs.

who was our last one? up to 10 years ago:

Bertrand / Romeo / Livra / Broja / KWP / Ings?

If he (ESR) wants to play then we do have a history but i agree with your statement re: ESR (it will be Newcastle or Villa)

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

He's been fit pretty much all season just not been used. 

50-odd PL appearances in the last three years at LB, RB, LM or RM in Brentford. Couple of spells as a starter but mainly utility player by the looks of it.

No complaints if it’s true, definitely not messing about with a lack of experience this year. No genuine idea of his ability, mind.

https://griffinpark.org/forums/threads/saman-ghoddos.134246/page-59

Top guy, rarely let us down but questionable physically seems to be the consensus.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Rasmus will know of him well, was a big part of Brentfords promotion team - just never quite good enough to be a PL regular.

Oh great so Rasmus is back building our relegation squad for next season.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Rasmus will know of him well, was a big part of Brentfords promotion team - just never quite good enough to be a PL regular.

Definitely looking at a free transfer signings to bolster the squad then (Adam, Ghoddos, Fraser, possibly O’Hare) - I’m ok with it as long as we’re saving the big bucks for improving the first team... and we probably need 6 of those. We don’t have the quality in the squad to be penny pinching now we’ve got back to the Prem. I’m not saying we need to go balls out like Forest did when they got promoted but we definitely need decent investment in the first team.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Definitely looking at a free transfer signings to bolster the squad then (Adam, Ghoddos, Fraser, possibly O’Hare) - I’m ok with it as long as we’re saving the big bucks for improving the first team... and we probably need 6 of those. We don’t have the quality in the squad to be penny pinching now we’ve got back to the Prem. I’m not saying we need to go balls out like Forest did when they got promoted but we definitely need decent investment in the first team.

Yes we need some much added quality irrespective of if we manage to re sign Downes or Fraser from last season.

I can’t see any of the returning loanees being here come end of August unless they feel Alcaraz is an option but then he would be competing with Lalanna for a sub spot.

Asked my Brentford mate

Mmmmm …contract ended 22/23 year and was a free agent but with our injuries we gave him an emergency contract for 1 year. He does a job but not game changing. Although he did score goal of the season last year against Burnley

Can play either defence or attack midfield was even emergency left back for 2 games this year 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Asked my Brentford mate

Mmmmm …contract ended 22/23 year and was a free agent but with our injuries we gave him an emergency contract for 1 year. He does a job but not game changing. Although he did score goal of the season last year against Burnley

Can play either defence or attack midfield was even emergency left back for 2 games this year 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like a useful signing on a free if we go through with it. Should save us some funds for gk, cm, striker, lb and winger which our are main areas we need to strengthen 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sounds like a useful signing on a free if we go through with it. Should save us some funds for gk, cm, striker, lb and winger which our are main areas we need to strengthen 

Agree with this. Ghoddos sounds like a very shrewd signing on a free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Saints in talks with Matias Soule's representatives.

20240615_132653.jpg

So far he's been linked with Villa, Man Utd, West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle, Leverkusen and Roma.  Lad will be pissed off if he turns up at us or Leicester.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

So far he's been linked with Villa, Man Utd, West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle, Leverkusen and Roma.  Lad will be pissed off if he turns up at us or Leicester.

Looks like one of the best attacking players in the world in this video....classic yootube.