Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Joke of the day:

A well-liked figure amongst the St Mary’s faithful, Strachan knows what it takes to keep Southampton in the Premier League

You've lost me.....what's funny about that ? Both parts of it are true.

20 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Some possible Che replacements ........

Carlton Morris.

Despite Luton’s relegation Morris was a real standout performer in his first season at Premier League level and combines a battling, ruggedness to his game with a real cool head in front of goal.

Having made 26 goal contributions to get Luton to the top flight in 2022/23, Morris showed he has what it takes to score in the Premier League with 11 goals and four assists last season.

Morris is similar to Adams in his ability to hold the ball up and link the play but is a better finisher than the 27-year-old.

Bojan Miovski long-term Southampton target

At 24, the North Macedonia international has plenty of time to improve but is already at a level where he could be a real asset for Southampton having scored 26 goals and provided four assists in all competitions this season.

Neil Warnock recently had a short spell in charge of Aberdeen and credited Miovski as being the best striker in the veteran manager’s long career,

He’s just a top finisher. I’ve always struggled with strikers, throughout my career.

“I’ve been good at goalies, centre halves and midfielders but never really on a striker.

“Ironic, isn’t it, that coming to this stage of my career I’ve got probably the best one I’ve ever had.”

With his fee likely to only be around £6 million, Southampton could have themselves a bargain.

Joke of the day:

A well-liked figure amongst the St Mary’s faithful, Strachan knows what it takes to keep Southampton in the Premier League

Neither would be an upgrade. We'd be pissing money down the drain

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

How much do you reckon it costs to keep Che? 

Best guesses if he stays or if he goes receive a No-prize. 

Im guessing £100k pw + on a two year contract with a £1.5m loyalty bonus. 

It’s mental isn’t it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

You've lost me.....what's funny about that ? Both parts of it are true.

How old are u? For those that have short memories of saggy chops.

Chairman Rupert Lowe risked the ire of Saints fans when he appointed Harry Redknapp as manager on 8 December 2004. The news shocked much of the football world, as Redknapp had resigned as manager of Saints' arch-rivals Portsmouth just days previously.

Redknapp failed to rejuvenate the Saints, and on 15 May 2005 Southampton were relegated from the Premiership following a 2–1 home defeat to Manchester United, ending 27 successive seasons of top division football.

On 24 November 2005, Portsmouth manager Alain Perrin, the man who himself replaced Harry Redknapp at Southampton's arch-rivals, was sacked by chairman Milan Mandarić. Rumours gradually grew apace that Mandarić and Redknapp had resolved the dispute that caused Redknapp to walk out in the first place, and that he was poised to rejoin his former club.

With these rumours seemingly reaching breaking point in the media – not to mention the bookmakers – Redknapp walked out on Southampton on 3 December 2005. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It’s mental isn’t it. 

Probably a lower weekly wage and a much higher loyalty bonus so we don't smash the structure up. £5m? Though if money talks, he'll go to Saudi.

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

It’s mental isn’t it. 

I suggested 18 months ago the reason he had not signed a new contract was probably because he wanted £100k a week and we simply weren't offering him a deal like that.  Not sure his stock has `risen' since then or our budget has increased, so if he does re-sign, I suspect it's because no one else is interested in him at that price and he has had to reevaluate his worth. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Chairman Rupert Lowe risked the ire of Saints fans when he appointed Harry Redknapp as manager on 8 December 2004. The news shocked much of the football world, as Redknapp had resigned as manager of Saints' arch-rivals Portsmouth just days previously.

Redknapp failed to rejuvenate the Saints, and on 15 May 2005 Southampton were relegated from the Premiership following a 2–1 home defeat to Manchester United, ending 27 successive seasons of top division football.

On 24 November 2005, Portsmouth manager Alain Perrin, the man who himself replaced Harry Redknapp at Southampton's arch-rivals, was sacked by chairman Milan Mandarić. Rumours gradually grew apace that Mandarić and Redknapp had resolved the dispute that caused Redknapp to walk out in the first place, and that he was poised to rejoin his former club.

With these rumours seemingly reaching breaking point in the media – not to mention the bookmakers – Redknapp walked out on Southampton on 3 December 2005. 

what has all that got to do Strachan?

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

I suggested 18 months ago the reason he had not signed a new contract was probably because he wanted £100k a week and we simply weren't offering him a deal like that.  Not sure his stock has `risen' since then or our budget has increased, so if he does re-sign, I suspect it's because no one else is interested in him at that price and he has had to reevaluate his worth. 

IF he scores v Germany in that high profile game both his wages and loyalty / signing on bonus will be upwardly reviewed by his agent.

That One goal alone could literally be worth £1M+ to him. IF he does score just have that in mind as he celebrates with the tartan army. He’s just trousered a Mil for kicking a ball whilst on hols in Deutschland. I’d be fucking delirious as well. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I see that West Ham have offered the (often mentioned) Ben Johnson a five year contract. That shows considerable faith and probably puts the kibosh on us signing him should we ever have been interested.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

My point was, he is available for a reason.

Because he's not deemed good enough for Roma, a team that finishes 6th in Series A last season. He'd be a great signing for us.

33 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I'm old enough to know the difference between Gordon Strachan and Redcrapp son so quit the wise arse comments and answer the question !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Some possible Che replacements ........

Carlton Morris.

Despite Luton’s relegation Morris was a real standout performer in his first season at Premier League level and combines a battling, ruggedness to his game with a real cool head in front of goal.

Having made 26 goal contributions to get Luton to the top flight in 2022/23, Morris showed he has what it takes to score in the Premier League with 11 goals and four assists last season.

Morris is similar to Adams in his ability to hold the ball up and link the play but is a better finisher than the 27-year-old.

Bojan Miovski long-term Southampton target

At 24, the North Macedonia international has plenty of time to improve but is already at a level where he could be a real asset for Southampton having scored 26 goals and provided four assists in all competitions this season.

Neil Warnock recently had a short spell in charge of Aberdeen and credited Miovski as being the best striker in the veteran manager’s long career,

He’s just a top finisher. I’ve always struggled with strikers, throughout my career.

“I’ve been good at goalies, centre halves and midfielders but never really on a striker.

“Ironic, isn’t it, that coming to this stage of my career I’ve got probably the best one I’ve ever had.”

With his fee likely to only be around £6 million, Southampton could have themselves a bargain.

Joke of the day:

Don’t know much about Miovski but that is a decent recommendation.

Thought Morris looked decent last season as well.

• Like 2

What has Strachen got to do with Redknapp and Portsmouth?

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

As some of the comments say just another random bullshit story. C’mon I don’t think there are many decent links . All the journos are posting vague clickbait stories until the Euros.
yet again anyone who is bedwetting about our squad already is a fool. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manji said:

As some of the comments say just another random bullshit story. C’mon I don’t think there are many decent links . All the journos are posting vague clickbait stories until the Euros.
yet again anyone who is bedwetting about our squad already is a fool. 

It's about to go down Bro. So Big news will be out there soon my G.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

A good striker Aberdeen of course. We often scout up there and of course Darren Mowbray was head of recruitment at Aberdeen last year. 
no inside info but Miovski and Matt O'Riley are the two players I’m touting.

O'Riley was quality for Celtic last season and still has room for improvement. Bizarrely he is eligible to play for Denmark. When he wasn’t selected for the Euros Danish supporters went crazy. 
He’s got a point to prove and we also have a connect with Celtic.

Keep Che and sign those two we would be looking good. Sure I’m speculating but it’s far better than keeping on saying we are going to get relegated or the pathetic “ we only sign injured players “. 

31 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Edited by manji
  • Like 1

He’s 13, stop trying to groom him!

Edited by Toussaint

I was surprised to see a Sheff Utd midfielder as one of the top players for interceptions and tackles won. I think his name is Sousa. He may be a jewel in a crown of thorns at the Blades. 

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

It’s mental isn’t it. 

I'd pay him more than that to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

With O'Reilly i see Atletico, roma, fulham, wolves, west ham are all monitoring him with Atletico trying to get him in jan. 

With 18 goals and 13 assists i think we would struggle to get him unless we assured him 2 seasons and we will sell on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, manji said:

A good striker Aberdeen of course. We often scout up there and of course Darren Mowbray was head of recruitment at Aberdeen last year. 
no inside info but Miovski and Matt O'Riley are the two players I’m touting.

O'Riley was quality for Celtic last season and still has room for improvement. Bizarrely he is eligible to play for Denmark. When he wasn’t selected for the Euros Danish supporters went crazy. 
He’s got a point to prove and we also have a connect with Celtic.

Keep Che and sign those two we would be looking good. Sure I’m speculating but it’s far better than keeping on saying we are going to get relegated or the pathetic “ we only sign injured players “. 

I like O'Riley too. Might cost a few bob though. O'Hare and Hamer are other options. Prefer all three to Lallana, although i guess he'd play slightly deeper these days. Prefer Sander Berge or Ben Sheaf would offer a lot more energy. Downes goes without saying, but Sara might be an alternative option

Out wide, we are obviously signing Fraser, but could we consider Fabio Carvalho or Summerville perhaps? The latter might be too expensive. Fatawu is another winger option. I think Leicester only need to find €14m to sign him. Sessegnon is worth a look, maybe as winger rather than a wingback. If we are going to play wing backs then Spence is an option, as he thrived in that formation, but he looks like he is going to sign for Genoa.

If ABK is going to be back in the fold I can't see us signing another CB for a season, but Greaves is certainly an option. Is Chalobah out of our league? I still think Omar Richards could be the answer at left back. We must address that position. 

Is Dubravka going to be available? Caoimhin Kelleher is another option. I think we may McCarthy, but we should reinvest in this position.

In terms of a striker. Blow every last penny on Simon Banza. Yeah, OK, Shankland it is then.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chez said:

In terms of a striker. Blow every last penny on Simon Banza. Yeah, OK, Shankland it is then.

I see Roma being linked with him as well and would say they are the favourites

"Roma technical director Florent Ghisolfi is very familiar with Banza having previously worked together at Lens for two seasons."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chez said:

I like O'Riley too. Might cost a few bob though. O'Hare and Hamer are other options. Prefer all three to Lallana, although i guess he'd play slightly deeper these days. Prefer Sander Berge or Ben Sheaf would offer a lot more energy. Downes goes without saying, but Sara might be an alternative option

Out wide, we are obviously signing Fraser, but could we consider Fabio Carvalho or Summerville perhaps? The latter might be too expensive. Fatawu is another winger option. I think Leicester only need to find €14m to sign him. Sessegnon is worth a look, maybe as winger rather than a wingback. If we are going to play wing backs then Spence is an option, as he thrived in that formation, but he looks like he is going to sign for Genoa.

If ABK is going to be back in the fold I can't see us signing another CB for a season, but Greaves is certainly an option. Is Chalobah out of our league? I still think Omar Richards could be the answer at left back. We must address that position. 

Is Dubravka going to be available? Caoimhin Kelleher is another option. I think we may McCarthy, but we should reinvest in this position.

i would agree with you a year ago but seems a bit of a bellend. Farke called out his attitude when he was at Leeds and cut short his loan. Although he did really well at Forest i also thought it was a bit weird that Middlesbrough loaned him there in the first place given he was a starter there the season before. Of course he hasn't got a look in at Spurs but neither did KWP so not reading much into that, the other two though clubs though questons marks for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

image.thumb.png.8089871503f9675e8045a45fbbf45237.png

Question is will the tournament stop our recruitment or are we targeting elsewhere.

Key for me is to have main players in early.

Pretty sure that if you asked most clubs they'd say they would prefer to get players in early.  I imagine it's probably possible to get players in early too, they may not be the ones you really want though.

13 hours ago, Chez said:

We have zero chance of getting him, but Serhou Guirassy would be my choice.

He has a release clause at £15m and scored 30 goals in 30 appearances for Stuttgart last season. They finished second above Bayern so have Champions League football next year too.

Just now, revolution saint said:

Pretty sure that if you asked most clubs they'd say they would prefer to get players in early.  I imagine it's probably possible to get players in early too but they may not be the ones you really want or the price you want to pay though.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Absolute madness that we haven’t tied Che Adams down to a long term deal before he lights up Euro 2024.

What odds are the bookies offering for Che to score tonight? 

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Absolute madness that we haven’t tied Che Adams down to a long term deal before he lights up Euro 2024.

when he goes to Wolves and goes on a run of scoring 4 goals in 8 games whilst his replacement hits bad  run we can meltdown on here about how we should have thrown money at him to keep him as he's clearly amazing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/06/2024 at 07:22, kenneth_kenobi said:

Tammy Abraham available........................

👍

On 13/06/2024 at 08:30, ally_uk said:

Tammy Abraham would he a ambitious signing but decent ! 

👍

On 13/06/2024 at 09:58, Whitey Grandad said:

The question is, why is he available?

Abraham has scored 10 in his last 64 appearances for Roma, and has had a serious knee injury.

2022–23 season[edit]

On 8 January 2023, in the league match against Milan, Abraham scored in extra time, earning Roma a 2–2 draw against the Serie A champions.[72] A week later on 15 January, he provided two assists for Paulo Dybala in a 2–0 win against Fiorentina in the Serie A.[73] On 31 May, Abraham featured in the Europa League final, which Roma lost against Sevilla 4–1 on penalties after a 1–1 draw; hence, he missed the opportunity to win all existing UEFA competitions.[74] Abraham received criticism for his goalscoring form, having scored only 8 goals in the Serie A compared to 17 the previous season.[75] On the final matchday of the season against Spezia, he suffered a sprain which caused a tear to his anterior cruciate ligament.[76]

I think he is / was excellent and we would normally have no chance signing him - hats off to him for going abroad to get out of the basketcase club that is Chelsea 

Would love him here if he was not injured and had not played in a year

but that probably why we are linked / mentioned 

• Like 2

If the club wanted a Boruc type experienced GK signing I like Lars Unnerstall at FC Twente.

Good experienced shot stopping keeper that probably wouldn't cost a huge amount.

20 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Shite, brain fart , mixing up the 2, i  should have shut the fuck up and stayed asleep, may bad , appoligise for confusion.

Maybe, but at least with this post you can pull "a Turkish" and reference getting 26laughing emojis on the forum!

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Shite, brain fart , mixing up the 2, i  should have shut the fuck up and stayed asleep, may bad , appoligise for confusion.

ignoring how poor your football / saints knowledge must be to get the 2 mixed up, did it not register when you saw that Rednkapp reads nothing like Strachan?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Maybe, but at least with this post you can pull a Turkish and reference getting 26laughing emojis on the forum!

SaintsWeb Poll:

You've pulled a Turkish. Is this?

The end of a good night out?

The end of a bad night out?

Something you should stop, before you go blind?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Maybe, but at least with this post you can pull a Turkish and reference getting 26laughing emojis on the forum!

Hey this forum isn’t about me, it’s about you guys, I post on here for you. If someone wants to beat me laughing emoji record I’ll be the first to congratulation them. However like Manes, 2.47 min hatrick it’s a record that might not be broken. Only Turkish can break his own record 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

How did he slip through our net? Genuine question has would love to know. Was it just the lure of Chelsea?

Chelsea are very active down here. Especially up sholing getting players in as soon as they start playing. 

Edited by Dman

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Chelsea are very active down here. Especially up sholing getting players in as soon as they start playing. 

You could say that's Ben White and Levi Colwill now who would have been a phenomenal pair.

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I see Roma being linked with him as well and would say they are the favourites

"Roma technical director Florent Ghisolfi is very familiar with Banza having previously worked together at Lens for two seasons."

To play in Rome or Southampton...its the eternal question.

Roma want Jonathon David. Hopefully they get him and then we can grab Simon Banza. I've read on t'internet that Banza has been "offered to Roma" (how true that is, who knows) so maybe Braga are looking to cash in (mid twenty million euros mentioned, which is one kind of money)...so maybe we will be the `next best car on the lot'. 

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yeah, guessed that from the lads my son plays with in Tyro, or whatever its called these days. Just a real shame with his background etc that we weren't able to get him.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

i would agree with you a year ago but seems a bit of a bellend. Farke called out his attitude when he was at Leeds and cut short his loan. Although he did really well at Forest i also thought it was a bit weird that Middlesbrough loaned him there in the first place given he was a starter there the season before. Of course he hasn't got a look in at Spurs but neither did KWP so not reading much into that, the other two though clubs though questons marks for me.

Certainly something you'd need to investigate a little before spending millions. Funny there was never any issue while he was at Forrest and he seems to have been a massive success at Genoa, so why did things go smoothly there, but not at Leeds? Did he become billy big bollocks after getting his Prem move? 

I think it was Warnock that loaned him out while at Boro. One reason for that was that they played a flat back four, had a decent right back already at the time and Spence was more of an attacking player. He played wingback at Forrest which better suited his skillset.  

I wonder if we will play wing backs anyway? Might be an idea, as our CBs are not good enough to cover so much space, but equally, gaps behind wingbacks get exposed far more in the top flight. 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Certainly something you'd need to investigate a little before spending millions. Funny there was never any issue while he was at Forrest and he seems to have been a massive success at Genoa, so why did things go smoothly there, but not at Leeds? Did he become billy big bollocks after getting his Prem move? 

I think it was Warnock that loaned him out while at Boro. One reason for that was that they played a flat back four, had a decent right back already at the time and Spence was more of an attacking player. He played wingback at Forrest which better suited his skillset.  

I wonder if we will play wing backs anyway? Might be an idea, as our CBs are not good enough to cover so much space, but equally, gaps behind wingbacks get exposed far more in the top flight. 

He's always been a complete helmet. He was loaned out from Boro for that exact reason.

Good player, but the sort we do not want in our dressing room - especially after ridding oursleves of them post relegation.  

23 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

You will be able to dine out on this post. 31 emojis !! I suspect it will get you into the CoT, although Turks may not like his emoji count being overshadowed, as that is obviously a massive part of his achievement. I assume its bit like owning the Jim'll fix it medal he put over your head.

• Haha 1