Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

7 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

He is not the answer in the PL as he has previously shown. So I hope it is done and we can move o

Clearly other premiership teams having seen him play n the PL do want to buy him and wouldn't do it if they didnt think he could perform in the PL. 

11 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Trabzonspor offering 2 players to buy for Onuachu 😂

Is one of them Mislav Orsic?

Him on one wing, the Ox on the other, Lallana in the hole and Ings up top. Fairytale stuff.

Also note that Trabzonspor have got former Arsenal €79m man Nicolas Pepe, and are about to release him on a free. He's only 29. Hard to imagine a career that has tanked harder than that. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Clearly other premiership teams having seen him play n the PL do want to buy him and wouldn't do it if they didnt think he could perform in the PL. 

they wouldn't be buying him as he is a free agent. If there was a transfer fee involved I wonder how many would be interested then

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

He's only 29. Hard to imagine a career that has tanked harder than that. 

I raise you Eden Hazard. £100m to Real Madrid in 2019, played just 50 league games between 2019 and Nov 2023 when he finally retired. I was surprised to see him rock up on Soccer Aid the other night, he's only 33! I know injuries have taken their toll, but he was up there with the best in the world back in 2015/16 in terms of output

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

they wouldn't be buying him as he is a free agent. If there was a transfer fee involved I wonder how many would be interested then

Sorry, wrong wording .. interested in getting him then. We wouldn’t need a fee either, of course.

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I raise you Eden Hazard. £100m to Real Madrid in 2019, played just 50 league games between 2019 and Nov 2023 when he finally retired. I was surprised to see him rock up on Soccer Aid the other night, he's only 33! I know injuries have taken their toll, but he was up there with the best in the world back in 2015/16 in terms of output

Not only that but he also got dispossessed more than once by Danny Dyer

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, View From The Top said:

I was told just before the play off 1st leg at the baggies that Che to Wolves was done. 🤷‍♂️

Was it by someone from the CoT? If not, it's probably someone talking shit. 

Wolves are in for him (as are others) but no done deal yet. It's all about the Benjamins, and not all bids are in yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Was it by someone from the CoT? If so, it's someone talking shit. 

Wolves are in for him (as are others) but no done deal yet. It's all about the Benjamins, and not all bids are in yet. 

There, fixed it for you. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, lambtiss said:

… a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. I’m not sure that I’d like him as our starting number 9 week in week out in the PL, but as a squad player for a zero transfer fee, yes, all day long.

Wow you must be watching a differant che to me ., really can’t think of him ever finessing a shot into the top corner or scoring anything but low scruffy shots or bundle ins .. he scores the type of goals you would expect jack Stephens to score if you played him up front .. and also not very good with his head either for the type of player he is ..

Whoever ends up with him as their first choice striker in the premier league will be a relegation contender .. hope it isn’t us :)

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Jack Stephens last goal for Saints was in the match v Newcastle in December 2019. 
He played a deft one-two with JWP, did a feint that sent the entire Newcastle team off to buy chip butties before slotting the ball home from the half way line with a no-look outside of his left foot half volley that did not bounce before it entered the net. The ball speed was recorded as 247mph and its in the Guiness Book of Records accordingly. 
I don’t see Che topping that myself. 😇

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Also note that Trabzonspor have got former Arsenal €79m man Nicolas Pepe, and are about to release him on a free. He's only 29. Hard to imagine a career that has tanked harder than that. 

Always thought he was hard done by and judged unfairly by the inflated fee that was paid. He got 16 goals from the wing the season before he was frozen out. 

53 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Wow you must be watching a differant che to me ., really can’t think of him ever finessing a shot into the top corner or scoring anything but low scruffy shots or bundle ins .. he scores the type of goals you would expect jack Stephens to score if you played him up front .. and also not very good with his head either for the type of player he is ..

Whoever ends up with him as their first choice striker in the premier league will be a relegation contender .. hope it isn’t us :)

Wow, Not a low scruffy shot in sight. You obviously have a selective memory. 

Nobody is claiming that he is the next Sergio Aguerro, but for a zero fee to get a striker at his peak, who we know how exactly to use to get the best out of him, pretty attractive option I would think. 

Similarly, nobody is suggesting that we still dont need a more prolific PL striker, but they dont come cheap.. And iur record in selecting great strikers, in the recent past, is not great

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Nobody is claiming that he is the next Sergio Aguerro, but for a zero fee to get a striker at his peak, who we know how exactly to use to get the best out of him, pretty attractive option I would think. 

Similarly, nobody is suggesting that we still dont need a more prolific PL striker, but they dont come cheap.. And iur record in selecting great strikers, in the recent past, is not great

I mostly agree with that, although if I'm Che, I'm not staying here. Wolves will probably still be in the PL for the duration of his contract. If he stays here, there's a decent chance he'll be playing championship football again next year. He may also want the Saudi money. He's gone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, egg said:

I mostly agree with that, although if I'm Che, I'm not staying here. Wolves will probably still be in the PL for the duration of his contract. If he stays here, there's a decent chance he'll be playing championship football again next year. He may also want the Saudi money. He's gone. 

Wolves have a shit manager who won t last the season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lambtiss said:

True but worth noting that highlights reel was fleshed out by playing virtually every goal twice!

*For balance it didn’t include some very good goals, ones against Sheffield Utd and Newcastle (in the cup) spring to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Wolves have a shit manager who won t last the season

Seems to have done alright in the 2 seasons of premier league football.

Remind me of the success Martin has had in the prem?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Seems to have done alright in the 2 seasons of premier league football.

Remind me of the success Martin has had in the prem?

He has done great job at Wolves considering the Var decisions they have had and owners.

What is job expectancy in Prem 2 years does anyone believe Russ will be here 2 more years?

2 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Tammy Abraham available........................

£20m is apparently the fee. Would get goals but been out injured for a season. We love signing an injured striker!

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Probably the wages wanted would be a problem for us.

and the fact that bigger clubs like West Ham and Villa are sniffing around too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

He has done great job at Wolves considering the Var decisions they have had and owners.

What is job expectancy in Prem 2 years does anyone believe Russ will be here 2 more years?

Not a chance. Christmas this year would be an achievement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

£20m is apparently the fee. Would get goals but been out injured for a season. We love signing an injured striker!

Sold! 

53 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The question is, why is he available?

I would expect there’s some negotiation to be had on £20m, however even £1 would be wasted if he’s in the treatment room for the majority of the season.

• Like 1

On the face of it Tammy Abrahams would be decent - tall, quick(ish), can handle the physicality, bit of experience and scores goals.  Only thing that makes me wary is he'll be a player slowly working his way down his expectations.  Must be hard when you're a young kid being touted as a future star and things start to level off and that progression to the next level never quite happens.  Signing Abraham now is a different proposition to signing him straight out of the youth team with hunger for games and a desire to prove a point.  Broja falls into the same category to an extent.

It's the kind of signing you expect West Ham to make.  Obviously not all players in a similar position react the same way but I'd want to be confident of his motivation for more than just wages.  Having said that, RM strikes me as the kind of manager who can make players fall in love with the game again.

Oh, and that's before the injuries are taken into account - what was he out for last season?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton

Nick Mashiter reporting for the BBC that we are interested in signing Max Aarons again this summer. Also mentions we are still in talks with Che amid the interest from others.

It seems strange that Che move was not locked up ages ago. Perhaps no other Prem sides have been interested and in reality we are the only top flight side making him an offer (and the Wolves stuff is just regurgitating the previous summer link)? 

4 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Tammy Abraham available.......................

Our midfielders need to score more goals.. Tammy and Smallbone in the hole together would never work.

Some possible Che replacements ........

Carlton Morris.

Despite Luton’s relegation Morris was a real standout performer in his first season at Premier League level and combines a battling, ruggedness to his game with a real cool head in front of goal.

Having made 26 goal contributions to get Luton to the top flight in 2022/23, Morris showed he has what it takes to score in the Premier League with 11 goals and four assists last season.

Morris is similar to Adams in his ability to hold the ball up and link the play but is a better finisher than the 27-year-old.

Bojan Miovski long-term Southampton target

At 24, the North Macedonia international has plenty of time to improve but is already at a level where he could be a real asset for Southampton having scored 26 goals and provided four assists in all competitions this season.

Neil Warnock recently had a short spell in charge of Aberdeen and credited Miovski as being the best striker in the veteran manager’s long career,

He’s just a top finisher. I’ve always struggled with strikers, throughout my career.

“I’ve been good at goalies, centre halves and midfielders but never really on a striker.

“Ironic, isn’t it, that coming to this stage of my career I’ve got probably the best one I’ve ever had.”

With his fee likely to only be around £6 million, Southampton could have themselves a bargain.

Joke of the day:

A well-liked figure amongst the St Mary’s faithful, Strachan knows what it takes to keep Southampton in the Premier League