Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

11 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I think a better question is can Che contribute goals and assists that would keep us in the Prem? 

And follow up question - Is there someone out there in our wage range who could improve on what he has to offer?

I think he would be ok as a backup striker and thats as far as it goes. Let's face it, he didn't even do that well in the Champs

That's a bit disingenuous. 16 goals and 4 assists in 41 appearances us a decent contribution no matter how you view it.

Yes he missed a few sitters, as he always has done. But he was a very important cog in our promotion machine and we were a poorer team overall when he wasn't playing.

I share many poster's doubts about his ability to make such a contribution in the PL, but to suggest he didn't do well last season is wider of the mark than one of his worst misses. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Let’s say i’m a director of football at a club and I want to buy a Southampton fc player.
Who do I contact? Who is in charge of transfers?

I’ve been boring people to death with this point but have been told it does not matter we have no one in overall charge. In Sports Republic we trust I guess is the answer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

That's a bit disingenuous. 16 goals and 4 assists in 41 appearances us a decent contribution no matter how you view it.

Yes he missed a few sitters, as he always has done. But he was a very important cog in our promotion machine and we were a poorer team overall when he wasn't playing.

I share many poster's doubts about his ability to make such a contribution in the PL, but to suggest he didn't do well last season is wider of the mark than one of his worst misses. 

A like wasn't enough for this one. Like a number of players, Che's overall game improved under Martin. Or we got to see other areas of it under that system.

He already does a lot of the things Martin is looking for in that position. While always happy to see the squad improved, Che did enough to still be a part of it. I'd prefer to see us upgrade on Mara and Stewart (fitness), while keeping Che here.

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The agent could always call the club, say he was interested in player X and ask to speak to someone who could help? 

Just call the clubs reception, tell them you want to buy a player, who can help? Simple 🤡

Another example of the simplistic, clueless world SOG lives in.

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Let’s say i’m a director of football at a club and I want to buy a Southampton fc player.
Who do I contact? Who is in charge of transfers?

It’s a fair question in truth, but going on recent times I thought the process was just to agree everything with the player and his agent.

They’ll soon establish the lines of communication for you. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

It’s a fair question in truth, but going on recent times I thought the process was just to agree everything with the player and his agent.

They’ll soon establish the lines of communication for you. 

Disappointingly not a section on the online club shop. 🙂

• Haha 1

I Read a report last night saying Fraser could mess up his transfer because he is insisting Newcastle pay up his last year of his contract which is 3 m quid . So he wants to be let go free to us and draw a wage and get paid for next by them .

I can understand Newcastle being Miffed if its true

• Like 1

16 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Southampton are showing interest in Brazilian midfielder, Andre.

Fulham, Brentford, Monaco, Atalanta, Stuttgart, Porto, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United are also keen on the 22 year-old.

[@GraemeBailey]🥉#SaintsFC

I mean, we are the obvious pick amongst that lot for the lad

😉

• Haha 6

Fulham, Brentford, Monaco, Atalanta, Stuttgart, Porto, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United are also keen on the 22 year-old.

Top player, shite source. Would be surprised if we were shopping in that price bracket this summer

hopefully his family name is Da Giant

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Long Shot said:

I’ve been boring people to death with this point but have been told it does not matter we have no one in overall charge. In Sports Republic we trust I guess is the answer. 

am pretty sure since rasmus's brother owns transferoom he has at least every club and agents numbers on speedial, would much rather he be calling than receiving calls trying to flog us players so am relaxed about not having a director at mo.

Edited by Convict Colony

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

I Read a report last night saying Fraser could mess up his transfer because he is insisting Newcastle pay up his last year of his contract which is 3 m quid . So he wants to be let go free to us and draw a wage and get paid for next by them .

I can understand Newcastle being Miffed if its true

This is how ALL transfers work, unless you've handed in a transfer request. You negotiate what's left on your contract with your current club (probably including loyalty bonuses), then negotiate a new wage and signing on bonus with the new club. It's how some players make an absolute fortune and move clubs a lot.

This is very well described in the Secret Footballer series of books. He makes the point that players like Robbie Keane, Craig Bellamy and others made a lot of money this way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

am pretty sure since rasmus's brother owns transferoom he has at least every club and agents numbers on speedial, would much rather he be calling than receiving calls trying to flog us players so am relaxed about not having a director at mo.

Fucking hell, is there another one!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Fucking hell, is there another one!

there is bro and they have a lot of clubs using it to cut out the agents - apparently how we got THB and Fraser

https://blog.transferroom.com/how-southampton-signed-harwood-bellis-and-fraser-through-transferroom

After getting relegated from the Premier League in the 2022-23 season, Southampton FC knew that the following Summer Transfer Window would be crucial.

Southampton negotiated fees of around €180m as they moved on a number of their players and recorded a net profit of €160m in the 2023 Summer Transfer Window, more than any other club worldwide. So investing in quality signings and smart transfer business was pivotal as they targeted an instant return to England’s top flight.

This is the story of two of those key signings - Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Ryan Fraser - and how they used TransferRoom’s revolutionary online marketplace to instantly connect with the right people and reliably see their availability and exactly what the parent clubs were looking for.

‘We didn’t think he’d be available to us’

After winning the English Championship with Burnley and the UEFA European Under-21 Championship as England’s captain, Harwood-Bellis was in high demand in the transfer market.

The defender, who had been on loan from Manchester City, had his sights set on achieving his dream of playing in the Premier League as a first-team starter away from the champions of England.

Harwood-Bellis had long been on the radar of Southampton and they thought he would be available in the following Summer Transfer Window, but not to them. 

But that all changed when Man City’s decision makers offered him to Southampton on TransferRoom. 

After Man City’s pitch, Saints could instantly see that Harwood-Bellis was available to them, and what the club and player’s expectations were financially and in the level of club they were targeting. 

The result: Harwood-Bellis joined Southampton on a season-long loan, with a £20million option to buy if Saints secured promotion in that campaign. 

Southampton’s Head of Scouting Operations, Sam Stanton of the club’s ownership group, Sport Republic, said in the video below: “Taylor's a player we've liked for a long time. Speaking to different people, we always thought he might be available but we never thought he'd be available to us.

“So when he was pitched to us, we were really excited straight away. We could connect with Manchester City and get a deal done.

Video: How Saints signed Harwood-Bellis and Fraser

“When you've got a system that tells you ‘Yes, the player's available. This is what we want for him. This is the deal that you can do the player on,’ it's perfect for us. It just simplifies things so much.”

Harwood-Bellis said in the video: “I knew it was going to be a big step in my career of where I was going to go and how it was going to get me to where I want to be in the next five years.

“I felt like I was ready to play the Premier league and I know that no one's just going to walk into the best league in the world. 

“I played in the Championship last year, but I had no feeling of, ‘Oh, I was taking a step backwards in coming to Southampton.’ It's a Premier League club. The aim was to get to the Premier League and I want to play there for the team that I want to be on and suits me. And the manager has to be the right one. I felt like this was perfect.”

Fraser adds PL experience

The Harwood-Bellis deal was not the only key loan move that Southampton used TransferRoom for in the 2023 Summer Transfer Window. They turned to world football’s digital marketplace, which is home to more than 700 clubs and 450 agencies in transfer market, for the signing of Fraser. 

Fraser was in a different mould, aged 29 and seeking first-team football after having limited game time at Newcastle United, at the end of a seven-year spell in the Premier League which started at AFC Bournemouth.

The deal indicates the ability for clubs to target players of all levels of experience on the TransferRoom platform.

“We look mostly at young players,” Stanton added. “So a player like Ryan Fraser, we don't spend loads of time on, but we knew Fraser from playing against him over the years in the Premier League. So when he becomes available, it becomes a decision.

“We needed to sign a little bit more experience to add to our team. So when you get offered experienced players like that, we can then put it through our process and say, ‘Yeah, he's perfect for us’.”

Fraser added: “I never really went through my career without playing so that, I don't know, two to three months or God knows how long it was, was always difficult. It was fundamental for me to go and enjoy football again, not just play it but enjoy it.

“So, when I got the phone call from Russell [Martin], the manager himself to come down, I just got on a plane straight away and this club, the staff, everyone, the fans, obviously it was the perfect place to try and help them achieve what they want to achieve as a goal.”

First in line for two key signings

For Stanton and Southampton, TransferRoom allowed them to beat the competition for Harwood-Bellis and Fraser, through receiving pitches from the parent clubs’ decision makers and the instant access to player availability on the platform.

“It gave us an opportunity to be first in line,” Stanton said. “We saw it happen straight away: the players we wanted became available on TransferRoom. We managed to make an early call because we saw it so early.

“The players we thought might become available and we were waiting for sort of phone calls. But as soon as it came up on TransferRoom, we could then make the phone call to try and get a deal done. So it was really important.”

Clubs, get ahead of the competition and take your transfer business to the next level by joining TransferRoom here.

No limits to level of players you can sign

The two loan deals are among a series of success stories for Southampton on TransferRoom, including the €14million signing of Carlos Alcaraz from Racing Club in Argentina. 

Watch the full inside story on the deal here, with Alcaraz, Stanton and Alcaraz’s agent, Sebastian Lopez, of TransferRoom Trusted Agency Insua & Rol Sports Group.

It’s further indication of the platform’s importance in the club’s transfer strategy, with Stanton adding: “We use TransferRoom right from top to bottom. We use it to bring high profile players in and we use it to move high profile players on.

“We use the platform as much as we can. I don't see any limit on what we can get out of it, whether it's moving an Under-19 player on loan or whether it's buying a player for multi-million pounds, we can use it for everything.”

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 10

35 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

there is bro and they have a lot of clubs using it to cut out the agents - apparently how we got THB and Fraser

https://blog.transferroom.com/how-southampton-signed-harwood-bellis-and-fraser-through-transferroom

After getting relegated from the Premier League in the 2022-23 season, Southampton FC knew that the following Summer Transfer Window would be crucial.

Southampton negotiated fees of around €180m as they moved on a number of their players and recorded a net profit of €160m in the 2023 Summer Transfer Window, more than any other club worldwide. So investing in quality signings and smart transfer business was pivotal as they targeted an instant return to England’s top flight.

This is the story of two of those key signings - Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Ryan Fraser - and how they used TransferRoom’s revolutionary online marketplace to instantly connect with the right people and reliably see their availability and exactly what the parent clubs were looking for.

After winning the English Championship with Burnley and the UEFA European Under-21 Championship as England’s captain, Harwood-Bellis was in high demand in the transfer market.

The defender, who had been on loan from Manchester City, had his sights set on achieving his dream of playing in the Premier League as a first-team starter away from the champions of England.

Harwood-Bellis had long been on the radar of Southampton and they thought he would be available in the following Summer Transfer Window, but not to them. 

But that all changed when Man City’s decision makers offered him to Southampton on TransferRoom. 

After Man City’s pitch, Saints could instantly see that Harwood-Bellis was available to them, and what the club and player’s expectations were financially and in the level of club they were targeting. 

The result: Harwood-Bellis joined Southampton on a season-long loan, with a £20million option to buy if Saints secured promotion in that campaign. 

Southampton’s Head of Scouting Operations, Sam Stanton of the club’s ownership group, Sport Republic, said in the video below: “Taylor's a player we've liked for a long time. Speaking to different people, we always thought he might be available but we never thought he'd be available to us.

“So when he was pitched to us, we were really excited straight away. We could connect with Manchester City and get a deal done.

“When you've got a system that tells you ‘Yes, the player's available. This is what we want for him. This is the deal that you can do the player on,’ it's perfect for us. It just simplifies things so much.”

Harwood-Bellis said in the video: “I knew it was going to be a big step in my career of where I was going to go and how it was going to get me to where I want to be in the next five years.

“I felt like I was ready to play the Premier league and I know that no one's just going to walk into the best league in the world. 

“I played in the Championship last year, but I had no feeling of, ‘Oh, I was taking a step backwards in coming to Southampton.’ It's a Premier League club. The aim was to get to the Premier League and I want to play there for the team that I want to be on and suits me. And the manager has to be the right one. I felt like this was perfect.”

The Harwood-Bellis deal was not the only key loan move that Southampton used TransferRoom for in the 2023 Summer Transfer Window. They turned to world football’s digital marketplace, which is home to more than 700 clubs and 450 agencies in transfer market, for the signing of Fraser. 

Fraser was in a different mould, aged 29 and seeking first-team football after having limited game time at Newcastle United, at the end of a seven-year spell in the Premier League which started at AFC Bournemouth.

The deal indicates the ability for clubs to target players of all levels of experience on the TransferRoom platform.

“We look mostly at young players,” Stanton added. “So a player like Ryan Fraser, we don't spend loads of time on, but we knew Fraser from playing against him over the years in the Premier League. So when he becomes available, it becomes a decision.

“We needed to sign a little bit more experience to add to our team. So when you get offered experienced players like that, we can then put it through our process and say, ‘Yeah, he's perfect for us’.”

Fraser added: “I never really went through my career without playing so that, I don't know, two to three months or God knows how long it was, was always difficult. It was fundamental for me to go and enjoy football again, not just play it but enjoy it.

“So, when I got the phone call from Russell [Martin], the manager himself to come down, I just got on a plane straight away and this club, the staff, everyone, the fans, obviously it was the perfect place to try and help them achieve what they want to achieve as a goal.”

For Stanton and Southampton, TransferRoom allowed them to beat the competition for Harwood-Bellis and Fraser, through receiving pitches from the parent clubs’ decision makers and the instant access to player availability on the platform.

“It gave us an opportunity to be first in line,” Stanton said. “We saw it happen straight away: the players we wanted became available on TransferRoom. We managed to make an early call because we saw it so early.

“The players we thought might become available and we were waiting for sort of phone calls. But as soon as it came up on TransferRoom, we could then make the phone call to try and get a deal done. So it was really important.”

Clubs, get ahead of the competition and take your transfer business to the next level by joining TransferRoom here.

The two loan deals are among a series of success stories for Southampton on TransferRoom, including the €14million signing of Carlos Alcaraz from Racing Club in Argentina. 

Watch the full inside story on the deal here, with Alcaraz, Stanton and Alcaraz’s agent, Sebastian Lopez, of TransferRoom Trusted Agency Insua & Rol Sports Group.

It’s further indication of the platform’s importance in the club’s transfer strategy, with Stanton adding: “We use TransferRoom right from top to bottom. We use it to bring high profile players in and we use it to move high profile players on.

“We use the platform as much as we can. I don't see any limit on what we can get out of it, whether it's moving an Under-19 player on loan or whether it's buying a player for multi-million pounds, we can use it for everything.”

We may have recruited the wrong Ankersen...

58 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

This is how ALL transfers work, unless you've handed in a transfer request. You negotiate what's left on your contract with your current club (probably including loyalty bonuses), then negotiate a new wage and signing on bonus with the new club. It's how some players make an absolute fortune and move clubs a lot.

This is very well described in the Secret Footballer series of books. He makes the point that players like Robbie Keane, Craig Bellamy and others made a lot of money this way.

Although of course any fee from the buying club will reflect what the selling one has had to pay up. Players (and agents even more so) are draining huge sums of money out of the game --- effectively the money we fans pay!

Spanish side Real Betis have identified Perraud as a potential solution as they look to strengthen the left-back position.

Southampton have received a boost in their hunt for Werder Bremen man Leonardo Bittencourt with their director making a bold transfer claim.

38 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Spanish side Real Betis have identified Perraud as a potential solution as they look to strengthen the left-back position.

Southampton have received a boost in their hunt for Werder Bremen man Leonardo Bittencourt with their director making a bold transfer claim.

Is Bittencourt really what we need? If so, then does that signal a diminishing chance of getting Downes out of Wet Spam? It’s a bit of a concern that Manning, Mara and a few others are still with us…i.e. no news of transfer listings.

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Southampton, Ipswich and Palace in the hunt for 18-year-old Rochdale centre back George Nevett:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2024/06/11/premier-league-new-boys-ipswich-join-crystal-palace-and-southampton-in-the-hunt-for-welsh-youth-star/ 

Left footed, comfortable on the ball. He looks taller than 1.85m (as per transfermkt). Hell of a jump from the National League, but perhaps we have some sort of progression plan - loan etc.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

If the TransferRoom is great, why are we telling our competitors about it? Or is every club already using it? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

If the TransferRoom is great, why are we telling our competitors about it? Or is every club already using it? 

Sounds like any and every club will be aware and use it if they’re after one of our transfer listed players

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Left footed, comfortable on the ball. He looks taller than 1.85m (as per transfermkt). Hell of a jump from the National League, but perhaps we have some sort of progression plan - loan etc.   

Have to say it would be a huge leap for the lad, however he does look a very tidy player albeit in a lower league.

14 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Is Bittencourt really what we need? If so, then does that signal a diminishing chance of getting Downes out of Wet Spam? It’s a bit of a concern that Manning, Mara and a few others are still with us…i.e. no news of transfer listings.

Downes, Stu and Rothwell have obviously departed. How much genuine faith RM has in Charles (I'd loan him out personally) and Alvarez to perform in the Prem next season is to be seen.  That midfield area is crucial. Having several irons in the fire makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Downes, Stu and Rothwell have obviously departed. How much genuine faith RM has in Charles (I'd loan him out personally) and Alvarez to perform in the Prem next season is to be seen.  That midfield area is crucial. Having several irons in the fire makes a lot of sense. 

We finished 4th in the Championship and as you may have lost a handful although some may return so we need to rep[ace those not returning and get replacements for half a dozen or so players who are not up to PL standard so ten new players I would have thought at least and a couple of Loanees plus Lallana

As many of our targets will not come here we need load of irons in the fire

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agree with all that…just would like to see Downes over the line sooner rather than later.

53 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that Bittencourt means that we're not getting Downes, two totally different midfielders. Bittencourt is more of your 8, 10 style CM whereas Downes sits. You'd have them both in the same team, not one or the other. We have Rothwell, Stu and co to replace too.

Can't say I know a great deal about Bittencourt of recent years, but he's never been a particularly sought after player - just drifted around the German leagues for nominal fees.

Edited by S-Clarke

48 minutes ago, Chez said:

Highlights make him look like an adult playing against kids, and he's 18.  Making the step up is big, but he does make it look pretty easy and that's a better sign than most.  

4 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Is correct. They get their full contract paid up one way or the other, either the buying club or selling club stumps up the cash. Often the total transfer figure includes these fees too, plus other other things like agents fee etc.

Dont we remember well how when we were net spend champions four years in a row, bonuses, agents fees and contract payments were often citied as the reason why a £20m fee for examples doesn't mean we have £20m to spend on a replacement, like we were the only club on earth that have these other fees to pay on deals.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I saw that I thought he looks good for L1, but then I realised that Rochdale plummeted to non-league. I remember them giving us some decent games in our adkins years! Shows how quickly football can shift.

Defo a signing for the U21's, won't be anywhere near the first team yet.

Edited by S-Clarke

17 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Agree with all that…just would like to see Downes over the line sooner rather than later.

Likewise. But realistically he's going nowhere until the manager has spoken to him, taken a look in training, maybe even played in a friendly or two and perhaps even replaced with a signing. It looks like they are bringing in Guilherme, who is touted as a real talent, but I think he plays further forward. I wonder whether Soucek will be less favoured by the new manager. Hoefully not less favoured than Downes. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Likewise. But realistically he's going nowhere until the manager has spoken to him, taken a look in training, maybe even played in a friendly or two and perhaps even replaced with a signing. It looks like they are bringing in Guilherme, who is touted as a real talent, but I think he plays further forward. I wonder whether Soucek will be less favoured by the new manager. Hoefully not less favoured than Downes. 

The Brazilian guy is an attacking midfielder rather than a Downes type, probably more of a Paquetta replacement as he won't be seen for some time.

I think WHU would be daft to not cast their eye over Downes, this is why I see this one going well into August if it happens at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I saw that I thought he looks good for L1, but then I realised that Rochdale plummeted to non-league. I remember them giving us some decent games in our adkins years! Shows how quickly football can shift.

Defo a signing for the U21's, won't be anywhere near the first team yet.

Feels like a Stephens type signing (maybe his replacement in due course. I think we loaned Stephens to a few league 1 sides then brought him into the first team fold several years after signing him. Maybe we do that again? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

The Brazilian guy is an attacking midfielder rather than a Downes type, probably more of a Paquetta replacement as he won't be seen for some time.

I think WHU would be daft to not cast their eye over Downes, this is why I see this one going well into August if it happens at all.

I worry about that. There is no guarantee at all we get him back here, which is a nightmare as he has been so important to the way we play. I guess other players can do the same thing, but it would be good to avoid another `learning curve'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

I worry about that. There is no guarantee at all we get him back here, which is a nightmare as he has been so important to the way we play. I guess other players can do the same thing, but it would be good to avoid another `learning curve'.

This is the problem with loans though and why they often say - ''never fall in love with a loan player''!

I don't think Burnley made any of their loanies permanent last year, at least we got a deal in place to get THB.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think Burnley made any of their loanies permanent last year, at least we got a deal in place to get THB.

Maybe why they were relegated. Its the big problem with stuffing your team full of loans to get promoted. So far it looks liked we have converted 2 out of 5 (or 6). Downes is the only other one we actually want/need.

27 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Maybe why they were relegated. Its the big problem with stuffing your team full of loans to get promoted. So far it looks liked we have converted 2 out of 5 (or 6). Downes is the only other one we actually want/need.

Absolutely this - hence my concern that it could take quite some time to bring Downes in.  There’s no guarantee a Downes replacement will bed in as successfully as he did and waiting until no pre-season is available will make things very difficult indeed. Probably the most important position to resolve IMO.

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Can’t believe people are serious about keeping che .. woeful striker who needs 4-5 sitters to score a goal ..

Only goals he can score are close range scuffs and bundle ins 

surely we don’t sign up to more of this shit 🤬

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Chez said:

Getting more talent from South America?

Yes. Or in Europe. Surely there must be players out there who want to prove themselves in the Premiership who are not teenagers or over-the-hill returnees. It's up to our scouts to find them and the club to persuade them to join.

4 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yes. Or in Europe. Surely there must be players out there who want to prove themselves in the Premiership who are not teenagers or over-the-hill returnees. It's up to our scouts to find them and the club to persuade them to join.

Mane, Van Dijk, Wanyama, Pelle, Tadic. All players excelling in lesser European leagues, some even playing in Europe when we signed them and gave them a pathway into the Premier League. I want to see us target players like this again, rather than taking risky punts on youngsters who might not make it and aren't ready to make an instant impact. Of course you get duds like Clasie, Juanmi and Boufal, but a Van Dijk and Mane sale counters those.

Last season, Manning, Stewart, Fraser, Harwood-Bellis, Rothwell, Brooks and even Holgate had previous Championship successes on their CV. Shea Charles was the only punt and he didn't really come off. So, I'm hopeful we can find a good philosophy again this summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Long Shot said:

I don't!

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Can’t believe people are serious about keeping che .. woeful striker who needs 4-5 sitters to score a goal ..

Only goals he can score are close range scuffs and bundle ins 

surely we don’t sign up to more of this shit 🤬

As other have said, Che was our best option as a target man last season, his general hold up play and ability to bring other players into the game is very good. He also scored 16 goals in 41 matches, far from a “woeful” return. To say that the only goals he can score are close grange scuffs and bundle ins is almost the opposite of the truth which is that he misses the easy ones and often converts the more difficult chances … a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. I’m not sure that I’d like him as our starting number 9 week in week out in the PL, but as a squad player for a zero transfer fee, yes, all day long.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is the problem with loans though and why they often say - ''never fall in love with a loan player''!

They did manage to buy Jordan Beyer. Did they want to sign the others? Obviously not at the prices required. I wonder what our limit is for Downes. £15m?