Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

IF ( and it’s a big IF) we are considering a hold the ball win it in the air and score goals new centre forward option we already got one that might be worth a second chance. 
If RM plays to his strengths - in the more pragmatic style of the last four games in particular - it’s not inconceivable that Tall Paul could be highly effective- and surprising- to opposition defences not accustomed to players his height- I’m thinking Crouchie levels of being effective if you play to his strengths. 
He does not appear suited to the PB style of play that was our bread and butter all season but - who knows- we may have the South Coast Andy Carroll who for a time seemed unplayable and a world class CF. 
Scoff away but he’s our player and we don’t need to spend anything to try him. 

If I had a choice of selling Sulemena or Onuachu for €10m this summer, then I'd be removing the front seats from the Honda Civic right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Jacob Tanswell reported a deal was agreed this morning for a nominal fee.

As it stands...

5-3-2

Lumley

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Fraser

Aribo, Charles, Smallbone

AA, Stewart

4-3-3

Lumley

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning (drop 1 for Stephens)

Aribo, Charles, Smallbone

AA, Stewart, Fraser

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
SaintsFan86 kindly reminded me not to get carried away, and have Downes in there.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

As it stands...

5-3-2

Lumley

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Fraser

Aribo, Downes, Smallbone

AA, Stewart

4-3-3

Lumley

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning (drop 1 for Stephens)

Aribo, Downes, Smallbone

AA, Stewart, Fraser

Howd you figure that? Downes isn't our player.

5 hours ago, Dman said:

The fact we're trying to keep hold of Che, to me would suggest that we've not factored in the budget for a decent number 9. Worrying. 

I was really hopeful we'd say thanks and good bye. Fingers crossed he forces our hand. 

Che has a history of scoring 8-10 goals a season in the prem. Still relatively young too. So i can completely why the club would prefer to retain him

If they lose him i'm sure they would focus budget spending to replace him. That's not to say spending big would guarantee a decent number 9. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I really can't see us going into the season with the same attack as last year. As a minimum you'd think we would upgrade Mara. 

Yes I’m not understanding comments like “ this squad we not survive in the PL “ it’s  insane. I think we will keep Aribo, maybe hang on to Che but I cannot imagine that the team will not be upgraded before the start of the season. We’ve given Russel Martin the go ahead . SR ( I’m just mentioning them ) have put their necks on the line with some very encouraging comments just before and after the Final.

Let’s just wait. I will be leading the pitchforks if the management fvck up next season. 

I think it’s a great season to be back in the Premier with other teams having to watch their finances because of the regulations. 
The focus on the Manchester City case will be very interesting as well.

im enjoying the T20 Cricket World Cup and really looking forward to the Euros. I’m a sceptical England fan and have chosen to follow a couple of other teams as a back up.

it’s an obviously long transfer window. Things will change. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can someone remind me what happened with Wolves last summer? Did we pull the plug on the deal? I got the feeling they (Wolves) didn't really push the boat out to get him, but I might be mistaken.  I saw a story the other day that they big about £15m, but I thought they only ever tried to loan him.

It was a loan, but he signs a one year extension with us so we wouldn’t lose him on a free 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't see McCarthy signing a contract to be backup. I think he may want to be first choice next season and some guarantee that if he performs well, he won't be automatically ousted by Baz when he is fit. Perhaps the club will go that route. I appreciate that won't be what fans want to hear, but it seems more realistic to me.    

All the other clubs he’s linked with are clearly to sit and be a number 2/3 on a decent wedge. I don’t think he has any strong urge to be a number one, here or anywhere else. Just whatever suits him money and contact length wise.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Che has a history of scoring 8-10 goals a season in the prem. Still relatively young too. So i can completely why the club would prefer to retain him

If they lose him i'm sure they would focus budget spending to replace him. That's not to say spending big would guarantee a decent number 9. 

They will already have targets lined up. They have had plenty of time to think about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Ive chosen to follow a couple of other teams as a back up.

Come on name them, I'm always on the look out for a plucky underdog, not reviewed the teams yet but my current thinking is anyone but France.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Come on name them, I'm always on the look out for a plucky underdog, not reviewed the teams yet but my current thinking is anyone but France.

Ok just looked I'm going for Austria as my underdog, I have vague feelings that theyve done ok under ralph snr.

If Serbia get through our group I'll also back them as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Unfortunately Charles Manson died in 2017, good shout though and had forgotten about him.  Are there any other serial killers who could do a job for us?

Dahmer would fucking eat up opposition defences.

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the CoT have also confirmed it on that thread

Spot on, Im so pleased that you messaged with with Wednesdays lottery numbers. I will be forever thankful, but next time could you send them on Tuesday not Thursday. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

As fans we just think £15m, £20m even £30m is automatically there to buy a new striker should the previous one leaves. I am not sure huge sums will be available unless we can actually sell (not loan) Onuachu and Alvarez. And, like you say, even if we do spend that money, what guarantee is there that he even scores 8-10 goals as Che has done? I can certainly understand why the club is reluctant to just wave the likes of Che and McCarthy off into the sunset, no matter how underwhelmed many fans are with those two players. If Che departs and we manage to loan in Brereton (with no doubt a fee to be paid), have we upgraded? Possibly.  

I think it's safe to say (I think Dragon as said it himself) the club will have a different transfer policy in the Prem this time around. We are looking for a few more experienced guys to surround the promising youngsters. Lallana, Fraser, Che, McCarthy to go with THB, Downes and perhaps one or two others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It was a loan, but he signs a one year extension with us so we wouldn’t lose him on a free 

Very strange move. I struggled to get my head around it at the time.

If Wolves really wanted him, why didn't they buy him there and then? Sounds like they had no interest in spending actual money on him, all be it maybe FFP was an issue. However, it's not exactly showing much desire to sign him or faith in him - they could easily have loaned him for the season, with an obligation to pay us £15m in July 2024 should they stay up, or suchlike.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Unfortunately Charles Manson died in 2017, good shout though and had forgotten about him.  Are there any other serial killers who could do a job for us?

Jack ‘The Ripper’ Stephens

Alan ‘Dennis’ Neilson

Ted ‘Bundy’ Bates

Edited by Midfield_General

1 minute ago, Chez said:

As fans we just think £15m, £20m even £30m is automatically there to buy a new striker should the previous one leaves. I am not sure huge sums will be available unless we can actually sell (not loan) Onuachu and Alvarez. And, like you say, even if we do spend that money, what guarantee is there that he even scores 8-10 goals as Che has done? I can certainly understand why the club is reluctant to just wave the likes of Che and McCarthy off into the sunset, no matter how underwhelmed many fans are with those two players. If Che departs and we manage to loan in Brereton (with no doubt a fee to be paid), have we upgraded? Possibly.  

I think it's safe to say (I think Dragon as said it himself) the club will have a different transfer policy in the Prem this time around. We are looking for a few more experienced guys to surround the promising youngsters. Lallana, Fraser, Che, McCarthy to go with THB, Downes and perhaps one or two others. 

Under Martin, I'm a lot less interested in the price, than what they bring to the system. For example, there could be a fantastic target man out there for £30 million. But, unless we change what we do, he isn't going to see much of the ball, and we'd be a man short in a lot of our play. Tall Paul might be an example of this.

Che already ticks a lot of boxes, so I can see why we'd want to keep a starter, even if that becomes a squad player. Beyond that, very much up to the recruitment and data guys to provide someone who also ticks the boxes, while also being an upgrade. Unlikely we'll get everything we'd like. Which is where we are with Che.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

All the other clubs he’s linked with are clearly to sit and be a number 2/3 on a decent wedge. I don’t think he has any strong urge to be a number one, here or anywhere else. Just whatever suits him money and contact length wise.

Money usually talks, but if there was a number 1 job available in the Prem (i.e. Saints), that might sway his thinking. If he can earn more as a number 3 at Chelsea than as a number 1 with us, then that would be an interesting choice. Unless you know him personally, it's hard to say how he feels about not playing, even if the money is good.

The club will want him to sign a new deal more than the fans do. I think the `problem' the club has is RM will be reluctant to guarantee him first choice when Baz returns to fitness. If he can see that happening, he may as well earn more to be a number 2 elsewhere.

What a turnaround though. For two years he was pretty much ignored, but now he seems wanted.

32 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Under Martin, I'm a lot less interested in the price, than what they bring to the system. For example, there could be a fantastic target man out there for £30 million. But, unless we change what we do, he isn't going to see much of the ball, and we'd be a man short in a lot of our play. Tall Paul might be an example of this.

Che already ticks a lot of boxes, so I can see why we'd want to keep a starter, even if that becomes a squad player. Beyond that, very much up to the recruitment and data guys to provide someone who also ticks the boxes, while also being an upgrade. Unlikely we'll get everything we'd like. Which is where we are with Che.

I'm actually not sure what attributes the central striker in RMs team needs to have. Is it mostly holding the ball up and being able to lay it off and then get in the box for tap ins? 

Sometimes Che holds the ball up quite well. Other times his touch is woeful. Sometimes his link up passing is OK, other times it is terrible. Sometimes he gets into the box, other times he's nowhere to be seen. When he gets a chance close to goal, sometimes he's ready and takes it, but on other occasions he's leaden footed and doesn't. He's very `hit and miss'. Some would say 'far too often'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I'm actually not sure what attributes the central striker in RMs team needs to have. Is it mostly holding the ball up and being able to lay it off and then get in the box for tap ins? 

Sometimes Che holds the ball up quite well. Other times his touch is woeful. Sometimes his link up passing is OK, other times it is terrible. Sometimes he gets into the box, other times he's nowhere to be seen. When he gets a chance close to goal, sometimes he's ready and takes it, but on other occasions he's leaden footed and doesn't. He's very `hit and miss'. Some would say 'far too often'.

I think the question is “Are we better as a team with Che playing”? I think we are as he creates space for others.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I think the question is “Are we better as a team with Che playing”? I think we are as he creates space for others.

we were often poor when he didn't play or was subbed. When he was playing badly and was taken off, invariably we got worse. That was not always down to his replacement, but it certainly indicated a lack of depth. Armstrong was far better playing right wing. He showed that was his best position when giving Newcastle problems in the league cup semi final, but sadly out manager at the time was clueless and couldn't see it.

I've never been a huge fan of Che, but he does have the odd game when he bosses CBs (Bournemouth away in the Prem is a perfect example).  I hope we are not considering paying him £100k a week. If its that kind of money, I'd like us to take a gamble on someone else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

It seems to be a bit of everything, much like some other positions.

Not just holding it up, but dropping deep to set up passing angles or collect and pass it. Not just be in the box, but provide an outlet right through the middle. I've seen him instinctively take up finishing positions in the box, when the ball hasn't reached him. As you say he can miss some of those, yet instinctively finish when it drops to him further out.

He's not as clinical as some others. Although we have gone through periods where his conversion rate would have to have been fantastic, considering the service.

Sometimes, he isn't where you'd expect. Sometimes, that's definitely the system. He's dropped back to set up the move.

That sort of inconsistency is about what I'd expect for players in the system, and at the level we're at.

There's a lot he does well, and some less so. Arguably, like Baz, it's what you'd think of as the key bit, that's not quite there. I think that's Martin's frustration. All those games where we created, but couldn't finish the chances. That's not just down to Che though.

• Like 1

Southampton are showing interest in Brazilian midfielder, Andre.

Fulham, Brentford, Monaco, Atalanta, Stuttgart, Porto, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United are also keen on the 22 year-old.

[@GraemeBailey]🥉#SaintsFC

Broja is way overpriced and only thought fondly of because of a brief purple patch with us playing a completely different style. His goal output is not dissimilar to Che.

I'm aware I'm alone on this but I rate McCarthy and would have him as no 1. One of the reasons we improved towards the end of the season was because we had a GK who's (a) a good shot stopper, and (b) not comfortable on the ball so we were forced to play forward more often

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CWD said:

Broja is way overpriced and only thought fondly of because of a brief purple patch with us playing a completely different style. His goal output is not dissimilar to Che.

I'm aware I'm alone on this but I rate McCarthy and would have him as no 1. One of the reasons we improved towards the end of the season was because we had a GK who's (a) a good shot stopper, and (b) not comfortable on the ball so we were forced to play forward more often

We didn’t improve towards the end of the season.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Yeah agree. 

Sadly I think that’s what 15m got you - a player who is hit and miss. 

Whilst I think Villa spent 30m in the same window on Watkins. And he’s turned out to be double the player. 

5 yrs later the price of a consistent performer could be half our whole transfer budget. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The playoff games can cloud the judgement a bit on the overall run, but you're right - we were utter dog shit towards the end of the season. Stoke, Blackburn, Leicester, Cardiff. 

We woke up for the playoffs though and that's all that mattered at the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Southampton are showing interest in Brazilian midfielder, Andre.

Fulham, Brentford, Monaco, Atalanta, Stuttgart, Porto, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United are also keen on the 22 year-old.

[@GraemeBailey]🥉#SaintsFC

I just Googled him, I know every target looks like a world beater on YouTube but he does look impressive 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

I just Googled him, I know every target looks like a world beater on YouTube but he does look impressive 

And probably why we have absolutely no chance of signing him!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Don't disagree with this if only because it stops AA playing centre forward, but couldn't someone else play Che's role? I'd like to see us bring in someone new but if we don't, is Tall Paul worth a second go? I really don't want to see Mara in a Saints shirt again.

1 hour ago, CWD said:

He got us through the playoffs and did well.

I've just finished season 2 of Wrexham where Ben Foster comes in to see them through into the league but I gather it doesn't go too well for him in League 2.

Extending McCarthy's contract can only mean that he's filling in for Bazuno until he's fit or the two will fight it out for supremacy. Fuck that please.

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I think a better question is can Che contribute goals and assists that would keep us in the Prem? 

And follow up question - Is there someone out there in our wage range who could improve on what he has to offer?

I think he would be ok as a backup striker and thats as far as it goes. Let's face it, he didn't even do that well in the Champs

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I think a better question is can Che contribute goals and assists that would keep us in the Prem? 

And follow up question - Is there someone out there in our wage range who could improve on what he has to offer?

I think he would be ok as a backup striker and thats as far as it goes. Let's face it, he didn't even do that well in the Champs

Not just wages, there's the big whacking transfer fee, most likely on someone who you are gambling will be able to cut it at this level based on zero experience of the prem.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Ok badly phrased - I meant towards the end of the season when we improved in the play offs after the poor run before. 

I understand McCarthy supporters are few and far between. I just think he's a solid GK and far more of a known quantity than a new signing. Would rather the cash went on other areas of the squad. 

• Like 1

We all want the best players possible for us, but is there an elephant lurking in the room... how much can we afford to pay in wages? I sort of get the impression that we won't be/can't be among the better payers in the league So does that mean we will only be able to attract young or journeyman players?

Edited by Oldandtired

1 minute ago, Oldandtired said:

We all want the best players possible for us, but is there an elephant lurking in the room... how much can we afford to pay in wages? I sort of get the impression that we won't be/can't be among the better payers in the league So does that mean we will only be able to attract young or journeyman players?

I think that's always been our market though really. Young players, or relatively low profile/unknowns from weaker leagues with the hope that they can grow with us and sell on for a profit.

Or a final return for one of our academy players. (that's only been happening the last couple of years though).

We will never be able to sign what I'd call 'ready' players. You see a lot of fans calling for their team to buy a 15-20m PL striker - there isn't anyone who can unless you are Liverpool or Man City. We just have to gamble on youth and hope our scouting is shit hot.

That's why it's so critical that scouting at clubs like ourselves, Brighton, Brentford etc is absolutley shit hot because it needs to work, there is zero margin for error. We have been catastrophically bad for so long now and that needs to change this window.

15 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Our wage budget will be in the bottom third, but I am not sure wages will be the issue. It's going to be hard to get players that have offers from other Prem sides as Saints are less certain than most to stay in the Prem. That's a problem. We don't really want to sign players no one else rates. Everyone knows everyone these days, so how do we attract the kind of player we need? Gambling a little on Championship talents perhaps? Getting more talent from South America?

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

did we just get promoted?.................................................must have improved somewhere.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think CWD was including the playoffs as part of the season, and we therefore did improve; his point was that McCarthy replacing Bazunu played a major part in that turnaround. He is clearly a better shot stopper than Bazunu and commanded his area better. The defence as a whole seemed more cohesive and this seemed , at least in part, due to the confidence that the defence had in the keeper behind them. Many others have made the point that they felt as though we wouldn't have won through the playoffs with Bazunu in goal, me included.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Let’s say i’m a director of football at a club and I want to buy a Southampton fc player.
Who do I contact? Who is in charge of transfers?

I can get you Mara for £150k, I’ll pm you my bank details. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Our wage budget will be in the bottom third, but I am not sure wages will be the issue. It's going to be hard to get players that have offers from other Prem sides as Saints are less certain than most to stay in the Prem. That's a problem. We don't really want to sign players no one else rates. Everyone knows everyone these days, so how do we attract the kind of player we need? Gambling a little on Championship talents perhaps? Getting more talent from South America?

We’ve done it for over 100 years