Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hopefully this is a load of nonsense. Aribo is a key part of our plans.

Aribo isn't good enough if we want to be a serious PL side. A good second half to the championship season might mean we actually a half decent fee for him. 

Basically, now is the time to sell before his value depreciates again. The same to be said for a few others (Janny B, Adam Armstrong etc.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd rather we shifted the squad dross in Sulemana and Mara before we go after Aribo, you can rely on him at least - the less said about the first 2 the better.

Am not a massive fan of Aribo. I would hope our recruitment guys can come up with better. Trouble is, like a lot of our players we are going to have trouble shifting them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Wolves have made a contract offer to Che Adams but other sides remain in the frame, including Southampton #saintsfc @TheAthleticFC

The fact we're trying to keep hold of Che, to me would suggest that we've not factored in the budget for a decent number 9. Worrying. 

I was really hopeful we'd say thanks and good bye. Fingers crossed he forces our hand. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dman said:

The fact we're trying to keep hold of Che, to me would suggest that we've not factored in the budget for a decent number 9. Worrying. 

I was really hopeful we'd say thanks and good bye. Fingers crossed he forces our hand. 

Is it not possible we do both? Otherwise I’d agree it’s not encouraging.

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I really can't see us going into the season with the same attack as last year. As a minimum you'd think we would upgrade Mara. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Is it not possible we do both? Otherwise I’d agree it’s not encouraging.

If we can keep Adams for a reasonable wage its a fairly safe option as we know what he can (and cannot) do in the Premier League. So it makes sense, assuming that we are also looking for another striker.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I really can't see us going into the season with the same attack as last year. As a minimum you'd think we would upgrade Mara. 

I tend to agree, although my fear is 'the upgrade on Mara' will be somoene like Ings. 

Basically, if we go into next season with Che being our first choice focal point, we'll be in trouble. Stewart is too unreliable. 

35 minutes ago, Dman said:

Definitely time to get rid of Che. Really average, and missed so many crucial sitters. Hold up play ok, but meh. Really think he believes he is far better than he is. Brereton Diaz? Cheeky bid for Michail Antonio (yes, old, but in good shape)? Then time for Ross Stewart and finally time to bring Amo-Ameyor through

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Definitely time to get rid of Che. Really average, and missed so many crucial sitters. Hold up play ok, but meh. Really think he believes he is far better than he is. Brereton Diaz? Cheeky bid for Michail Antonio (yes, old, but in good shape)? Then time for Ross Stewart and finally time to bring Amo-Ameyor through

Adams is reasonable if he is the support second striker to hold the ball up etc. The problem arises when the guy is the main central striker, his shot to goal ratio is appalling.

I just wish he'd go, he's not gonna keep us up.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Adams is reasonable if he is the support second striker to hold the ball up etc. The problem arises when the guy is the main central striker, his shot to goal ratio is appalling.

I just wish he'd go, he's not gonna keep us up.

its time Che went, we are not going to get anything fresh from him, great worker but we need more than that in the Premier

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dellyears said:

its time Che went, we are not going to get anything fresh from him, great worker but we need more than that in the Premier

He's also been trying to get out for the past 2/3 summers. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

He's also been trying to get out for the past 2/3 summers. 

and if we hadnt gone up he'd be gone already, get rid of him. We dont need to be saddled with the players who were part of the problem.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Revisionism a bit there mate. Sulemana has looked dangerous in the Prem before, Aribo only ever looked good in the championship.

To be honest that feels a bit revisionist itself.

A last day shop window match is not a great benchmark 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

To be honest that feels a bit revisionist itself.

A last day shop window match is not a great benchmark 

Whilst I don't disagree, worth remembering that he's still only 22 and clearly has a lot of attributes to succeed at the top. If he could channel his obvious talents in the right way then he could be great. Sadly that might come too late for us and we might see him tearing it up in the French league or something like that. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Whilst I don't disagree, worth remembering that he's still only 22 and clearly has a lot of attributes to succeed at the top. If he could channel his obvious talents in the right way then he could be great. Sadly that might come too late for us and we might see him tearing it up in the French league or something like that. 

Other than being pretty quick (which he never seems to actually make the most of) - I don't think i've seen any attributes from him to suggest he will succeed. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Other than being pretty quick (which he never seems to actually make the most of) - I don't think i've seen any attributes from him to suggest he will succeed. 

Agree, he should have have shone in The Championship and given the manager a real problem about dropping him. Never happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

If Ings comes in and bangs in 10 goals + and keeps us up what's the issue? Bunch of wet fannies on here we can't afford to be picky.... 

It's hard to see him banging in 10+ goals in a single season when you see he's only managed 16 goals since leaving us 3 seasons ago. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dman said:

Dribbling ability? Can take on and beat players, speed, should be able to create a lot more panic in the opposition defence than he does. I genuinely don't think he suited the system. 

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

If Ings comes in and bangs in 10 goals + and keeps us up what's the issue? Bunch of wet fannies on here we can't afford to be picky.... 

How likely is that though?

I'd have Charles Mansen in the team if he was going to score 50 goals and win us the league. 

1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

If we can keep Adams for a reasonable wage its a fairly safe option as we know what he can (and cannot) do in the Premier League. So it makes sense, assuming that we are also looking for another striker.

Hopefully we bring in a 'starting' number 9. I assume we will.

I'm not a fan of Che - his finishing is shit. Yes, hold up play and 'support striker' stuff is decent, but don't see that as enough to be a premier league starter. His primary job is to score.

That said, it does make sense to keep him, on a sensible wage. Avoids the need for an additional signing. Guessing Mara will go (on loan at least); Stewart is something of an unknown entity; AA will presumably be on the right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

exactly. Looking at my crystal ball we won't exactly be lighting up the Premier League next season so possibly our expectations in the calibre of player we will be signing would be commensurate with this. We are definitely not going to get the best signing for us, I suppose it's how far down the quality scale we go to persuade players to actually come here.

Tammy would be excellent but definitely out of our reach.

Any striker we sign is going to have red flags, just like Ings did when we signed him off the back of the ACL’s. Not going to be a perfect sounding option out there.

• Like 1

I imagine Che’s likely suitors Wolves, Everton etc are so worried by their FFP situation that the money they are offering is a lot less than he anticipated, or would have got last summer. So hence why we are still in the hunt…..

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

How likely is that though?

I'd have Charles Mansen in the team if he was going to score 50 goals and win us the league. 

Unfortunately Charles Manson died in 2017, good shout though and had forgotten about him.  Are there any other serial killers who could do a job for us?

• Haha 4

It's time to let Adams move on - same with Stuart Armstrong and McCarthy.

We do need to keep the core of the team that got us promoted together - to keep that team spirit and identity going - but we also need to refresh the team a bit and strengthen it in the right places.  Its a balancing act.

Its a mistake too many promoted clubs make - changing the team almost completely and losing the very things that got them promoted in the first place.

I think Bojan Mioviski is worth a gamble if the asking price is only £6M-8M or thereabouts.  He could end up being a the £30-40M striker we need.

Ben Bereton-Diaz on loan maybe with an option to buy as a replacement for Adams also seems to make sense.  He has played with Adarma before and scored goals in the Premier League.

Mara and Sulemana both needed to be moved on - back to France I expect. Neither has lived up to the hope we had for them or show any signs of doing so.   

We should replace them with Jack Clarke and Liam Delap 

With Ross Stewart that would give us 4 strikers to choose from -  with Adarma probably playing on the right of a front 3 - and with Jack Clarke on the left and Fraser and Edozie as cover out wide.  Bereton-Diaz also gives us another option out wide.

• Like 4

IF ( and it’s a big IF) we are considering a hold the ball win it in the air and score goals new centre forward option we already got one that might be worth a second chance. 
If RM plays to his strengths - in the more pragmatic style of the last four games in particular - it’s not inconceivable that Tall Paul could be highly effective- and surprising- to opposition defences not accustomed to players his height- I’m thinking Crouchie levels of being effective if you play to his strengths. 
He does not appear suited to the PB style of play that was our bread and butter all season but - who knows- we may have the South Coast Andy Carroll who for a time seemed unplayable and a world class CF. 
Scoff away but he’s our player and we don’t need to spend anything to try him. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Rebel said:

It's time to let Adams move on - same with Stuart Armstrong and McCarthy.

We do need to keep the core of the team that got us promoted together - to keep that team spirit and identity going - but we also need to refresh the team a bit and strengthen it in the right places.  Its a balancing act.

Its a mistake too many promoted clubs make - changing the team almost completely and losing the very things that got them promoted in the first place.

I think Bojan Mioviski is worth a gamble if the asking price is only £6M-8M or thereabouts.  He could end up being a the £30-40M striker we need.

Ben Bereton-Diaz on loan maybe with an option to buy as a replacement for Adams also seems to make sense.  He has played with Adarma before and scored goals in the Premier League.

Mara and Sulemana both needed to be moved on - back to France I expect. Neither has lived up to the hope we had for them or show any signs of doing so.   

We should replace them with Jack Clarke and Liam Delap 

With Ross Stewart that would give us 4 strikers to choose from -  with Adarma probably playing on the right of a front 3 - and with Jack Clarke on the left and Fraser and Edozie as cover out wide.  Bereton-Diaz also gives us another option out wide.

Liam Delap? We have to move on from our obsession with all things Manchester City. Surely there are better forward options out there.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

We don't know what role McCarthy is being lined up for. Hopefully backup. 

Then why reference we have one lined up if he doesn’t sign? You’d just say, ‘keeper lined up in addition’

7 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Then why reference we have one lined up if he doesn’t sign? You’d just say, ‘keeper lined up in addition’

No it could be backup keeper role. If he leaves we will need his replacement for his role in the squad. Hopefully we will be signing another keeper regardless of what happens with him. Thinking logically if Bazunu is out for most of the season we can't go into the campaign with McCarthy and Lumley as our two keepers. 

Edited by hypochondriac

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We don't know what role McCarthy is being lined up for. Hopefully backup. 

I don't see McCarthy signing a contract to be backup. I think he may want to be first choice next season and some guarantee that if he performs well, he won't be automatically ousted by Baz when he is fit. Perhaps the club will go that route. I appreciate that won't be what fans want to hear, but it seems more realistic to me.    

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Wolves have made a contract offer to Che Adams but other sides remain in the frame, including Southampton #saintsfc @TheAthleticFC

Can someone remind me what happened with Wolves last summer? Did we pull the plug on the deal? I got the feeling they (Wolves) didn't really push the boat out to get him, but I might be mistaken.  I saw a story the other day that they big about £15m, but I thought they only ever tried to loan him.

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Good to see a few links to goalkeepers this morning. I thought we'd attempt to get in a decent one. 

Can you possibly share them? Always like to read these gossip type transfer stories, whether they are accurate or not.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't see McCarthy signing a contract to be backup. I think he may want to be first choice next season and some guarantee that if he performs well, he won't be automatically ousted by Baz when he is fit. Perhaps the club will go that route. I appreciate that won't be what fans want to hear, but it seems more realistic to me.    

If that's true then imo we've given up before the season has started. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can you possibly share them? Always like to read these gossip type transfer stories, whether they are accurate or not.

Dominic kotarski, some keeper from Austria even though he has signed with someone else. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Unfortunately Charles Manson died in 2017, good shout though and had forgotten about him.  Are there any other serial killers who could do a job for us?

Has the Pedro Lopez retired yet? I think he plays right back when not committing horrific crimes.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If that's true then imo we've given up before the season has started. 

Obviously we haven't given up, but I get what you mean. I guess we do have some financial restraints and also there are limitations on who we can attract.

Do you feel the same about the potential new deal for Adams?

Like everyone else, SR will be only too aware of PRS.

Like most, they don't have the resources to pay silly wages.

Like several, maximising sell on is a goal, requiring them to develop players or take in less likely signings all at a discount.

Against that is every agent and club (us too)is out to get the best possible deals. I imagine we're not going to be short of offers to get players. Getting them at a cost SR are prepared to pay is something else.

Hopefully scenarios such as other clubs about to fall foul of PRS is something we can take advantage of. It might not be the obvious stars at those clubs either. Could be players breaking through, as Livramento and Lavia were.