Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Re Ings - I really hope not. We were lucky to get shot when we did. He’ll be a busted (and injured) flush on high wages clogging up the squad list. At least he could keep LND company. It’s gonna be a long poor season if this is the calibre and quality of any recruits.

• Like 8

As a club notorious for doing are transfer business late in the window this would seem a really odd move it’s not like he is a hot property at a rock bottom price!

9 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

No ideas if this chap is well connected at West Ham or not?

IMG_8702.jpeg

This is great news for Stewart - he’ll have a buddy to chat to in the medical room. Otherwise can’t see the point…he’s not going to fire enough goals to keep us up.

• Haha 1

Won't wash with the football hipsters on here, but wouldn't be against us looking at Chris Wood on a freebie, should / when Che leaves.

No frills but low risk, big, strong, knows the leauge and scored 14 goals last season.  

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Won't wash with the football hipsters on here, but wouldn't be against us looking at Chris Wood on a freebie, should / when Che leaves.

No frills but low risk, big, strong, knows the leauge and scored 14 goals last season.  

Very underrated striker in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Everton reported to have opened talks with Chelsea for Broja for £30m. 

https://x.com/jacobsben/status/1799807492429697396?s=42&t=yx-nO3PhK9WdSZqAccORKA

I hope not. Not because I want us to sign him but because he's definitely not worth that and I don't want big clubs to be able to offload average players to other teams simply because they are a big club. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Wouldn't he be quite similar to Ross Stewart? 

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Wouldn't he be quite similar to Ross Stewart? 

I'm not sure that I would describe Stewart as "strong" in comparison to Wood. He knows League 1 and a little bit of Championship, but not the Premier. And didn't score 14 goals last year. So not that similar ...... 

40 minutes ago, Dman said:

Absolutely, would be an upgrade on Che and a much better signing than Ings.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I hope not. Not because I want us to sign him but because he's definitely not worth that and I don't want big clubs to be able to offload average players to other teams simply because they are a big club. 

I think thats the going rate for a young player with high potential who has demonstrated they can trouble defenders at the top level.

Joao Pedro was the same and he had done less at the top level.

We signed Sulemana for £20m.

48 minutes ago, Dman said:

Is he actually available on a free? Transfermarkt have his contract ending, but Forest paid c.£15m for him last year? They paid that transfer fee and only gave him a one year deal? 18 months if you include the previous loan. Seems odd. Also, I heard some of the Forest players are on mental money, and he's likely to be one given he came from Newcastle. 

Do think he'd be a better option than both Che or Stewart though.

54 minutes ago, Dman said:

Outside of Ings in 2019, we haven't had a Premier League player score 14 goals since JayRod in 2013 😳

11 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

No ideas if this chap is well connected at West Ham or not?

IMG_8702.jpeg

i can confirm this guy is NOT a member of the CoT

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Dman said:

would be a good signing. 14 goals in 31 for Forest last year, averaged 1 in 3 for Burnley across 5 seasons as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

The same Everton who need to sell players before the end of the month to fall in line with PSR?

Could they have a fire sale of a few before the end of June. Then sell Branthwaite to Man It's for 75m, while paying up Broja over a structured deal?

Hopefully they don't sell enough and get docked points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Always liked Wood and we've been crying out for a target man since Pelle.  Like Pelle Wood is a proper unit. 

• Like 3

The idea of Chris Wood, and Ross Stewart for that matter, is a logical solution to a very obvious problem. 

The obvious problem is that Saints are notorious for passing it around our own penalty area ( and even 6 yard box). It did not escape the attention of a number of ( lesser) teams in the latter part of the season and I do not expect it will have escaped the attention of EPL teams right from the start of this. We will get uber pressed and goals will be conceded  needlessly. 

Without Gav in goal - and a less football more conventional orientated gk in his place - say Alex or similar- we are much more likely to go long. 

At present going long with our relatively powder puff mf and tiny forwards is essentially just giving the ball away - only Che is able to hold the play up- just about- at Championship level. At EPL level less so I predict. 

A more reliable basically bigger stronger physical presence up front would give Saints an option we do not currently have. Especially if they have EPL experience. Chris Wood makes perfect sense from that perspective even if he does not brilliantly fir other PB and future value football characteristics. 

It’s not an irrefutable case to buy Wood but it is a case to recruit at least one more in the squad with his characteristics now Che is Leaving - or even if he stays and not just to rely on Ross. 

Edited by gio1saints
I spelled his name wrong
  • Like 1

Its Chris Wood btw - and no idea why anyone is talking about him?

On a serious topic, seems clear Onuachu will end up moving on a late loan back to Turkey.

Supposedly we want upwards of £10m which will never happen. Trabzonspor typically spend a max of about £4m on their most expensive signings so zero chance they go double on a player who is 30! At least we have good SR experience of dealing with Turkish clubs - they seem to be massive time wasters when it comes to transfers!

• Like 1

On 09/06/2024 at 09:45, gio1saints said:

Regarding the GK situation. 

I’m in a minority of one on this, I think, but I remain certain that there is some truth in the assertion that the nervous pressure to “play football” in such a critical position as goalkeeper was negatively cumulative with Gav. Especially given his comparative youth. 

I think that this eventually dulled or reduced his shot stopping, shot saving, penalty area physically dominating and overall presence. 

The priority last season seemed always for him to play with his feet - pass it around - often whilst under severe pressure at times. Anywhere else on the pitch a misplaced pass or slightly short or slightly wrong or slightly sub optimal control of the ball and you can often get away with - maybe you foul the player who dispossessed you ( as Saints often do when caught on counterattacks) but that’s simply not possible for Gav in his six yard box without giving away a penalty. I know this is all obvious but what’s not been taken into account, imo, is the nervous fatigue / tension that this constant life or death pressure can create. 

I think his football skills are very high indeed - but currently that’s ( to me) obviously been to the detriment of his standard goalkeeping skills. And the longer the season went the more obvious it became.

When Alex took over it was clear what a mentally fit more standard goalkeeping characteristics goalie could do for us - and those who argued that were he in goal earlier we might have got automatic may have an excellent point. 

Id like to think that Gav, and Saints, would learn from this and take that into consideration more this upcoming season. Asking any new goalie to play in that way - especially a young one- is going to take its toll. I’m not against the system- if and once the goalie has mastered it and it does not reduce his standard goalie skills, but at present it’s a bit hard for me to justify ahead of a season in the EPL when the pressure is even higher. Hoping it’s s work in process but I’ve yet to see a gk not do a mess in his own six yard box yet - and I’ve no doubt it mashes up the mind - and turns fans against you even though you are only doing what you’ve been told. Even the so called “ world class” goalies are susceptible. It might be a fatal flaw in the system. 

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

The idea of Chris Woods, and Ross Stewart for that matter, is a logical solution to a very obvious problem. 

The obvious problem is that Saints are notorious for passing it around our own penalty area ( and even 6 yard box). It did not escape the attention of a number of ( lesser) teams in the latter part of the season and I do not expect it will have escaped the attention of EPL teams right from the start of this. 

Without Gav in goal - and a less football more conventional orientated gk in his place - say Alex or similar- we are much more likely to go long. 

At present going long with our relatively powder puff mf and tiny forwards is essentially just giving the ball away - only Che is able to hold the play up- just about- at Championship level. At EPL level less so I predict. 

A more reliable basically bigger stronger physical presence up front would give Saints an option we do not currently have. Especially if they have EPL experience. Chris Woods makes perfect sense from that perspective even if he does not brilliantly fir other PB and future value football characteristics. 

It’s not a case to buy Woods but it is a case to have at least one more in the squad now Che is Leaving who can play that role and not just to rely on Ross. 

"Route One football is part of my DNA", said Martin to 442. "I was a massive admirer of Taylor, and watching the simple effectiveness of Wimbledon later on, was something I knew I wanted to aspire to."

Sorry, just thinking of a changed Martin in the PL. 🙂

I thought Baz should have been pulled out of the team, a lot earlier in our relegation season. His weaknesses were there and the team didn't make use of his strengths. I can't imagine the personal impact of going through that.

Would we have gone up, if he hadn't got injured? Maybe. You'd have to weigh up a lot of incidents.  McCarthy brings more presence and shot stopping.

Alex also got the benefit of team relentlessly drilled to pass from all over the park. Baz was key to that. We got to play crisp passing moves higher up, as Alex would have struggled more there. And that suited us and pushed us forward.

With no Baz for next season, we could well have to limit that passing right at the back again. As opponents hunt it down in pressing packs (see Farke at Norwich or us vs Liverpool), that might not be terrible.

Either way, we're going to need more than a target man. Either formation Martin used relied on a mobile, hard working forward. One able to drop deep to bring in runners, be physical enough to hold it up and be mobile enough to get up and be on the end of things.

If we want a player who just wants to receive it, Mara was an example. Sure, Woods offers more than that, but it's an example how limited systems are with 10 players using it.

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Yep, apparently so - no idea how that’s supposed to work 

When you buy a player the cost is amortised across the length of the contract. So if they sign him for £30m on a 5 year contract the current years PSR impact will be c £0.5m (1 month out of 60).

where as if you sell you instantly book the profit to PSR (profit being the difference sale price and book value).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

I think thats the going rate for a young player with high potential who has demonstrated they can trouble defenders at the top level.

Joao Pedro was the same and he had done less at the top level.

We signed Sulemana for £20m.

He has had a terrible injury, shown no signs he can get back to where he was, was holt and cold at saints and did nothing at Fulham. I don't see any justification for that cash personally and if he wasn't at Chelsea he'd be 15-20 million max and even then it's expensive. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Can RM unleash the full potentials of Sulemana or Alcaraz and make them like new signings?

Well he couldn't this year so seems unlikely. Can't see either of them playing for us to be honest. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well he couldn't this year so seems unlikely. Can't see either of them playing for us to be honest. 

Both of Sulemana and Alcaraz have premier league potentials, though it seems they didn’t like to play in championship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Both of Sulemana and Alcaraz have premier league potentials, though it seems they didn’t like to play in championship.

Alcaraz - decent chance I would say

Sulemana - not a cat in hells chance, I really dont get what people see in him. Get rid asap

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Alcaraz - decent chance I would say

Sulemana - not a cat in hells chance, I really dont get what people see in him. Get rid asap

Alcaraz likely better suited to the PL than the Championship IMO, possibility Martin might think that too. For Sulemana read Djenepo, historical achievement likely to be that he tops Carillo as our travesty panic buy record signing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Alcaraz likely better suited to the PL than the Championship IMO, possibility Martin might think that too. For Sulemana read Djenepo, historical achievement likely to be that he tops Carillo as our travesty panic buy record signing.

I’m not convinced Charly fits the style.  Top player, though.  But maybe not positionally disciplined enough, we shall see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’m not convinced Charly fits the style.  Top player, though.  But maybe not positionally disciplined enough, we shall see.

Genuniely, we should be playing him up top as a 'false 9' or an old school 10, just behind a number 9. 

Get him in the final 3rd and tell him not to worry about tracking back. 

• Haha 1