Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, egg said:

How do you see that working? Starting and coming off early in the second half seems a bit pointless, and probably disruptive. We need players who can come straight into the team, improve us, and last the match. 

Scholes made a career lasting 60 minutes or so. It’s not difficult to manage. 5 subs per game is not proving to be disruptive. 

2 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Gakpo reason for not choosing Saints....dang

“The Eindhoven resident initially remains secretive about how he made his choice, but then opens up: “People might think I’m strange. I could go to Southampton, Leeds came into the race and PSV wanted me to stay.

“I presented the three options I had to God. If I scored once, I would go to Southampton. If I scored twice I would go to Leeds and if I scored three I would stay at PSV.”

To put such a monumental career decision down to how many goals you score in one game is certainly an interesting way to choose and – unfortunately for Southampton – Gakpo scored the first hat-trick of his career that night in a 7-1 win.

So even Gods against us then FFS! 

32 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Screenshot_20240608_150613_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would be somewhat underwhelmed with that. We'd be going into a season with McCarthy, Steele and Lumley in the absence of Baz. I was hoping for better. I feel McCarthy has played himself into a new contract just by being better than Bazunu for a few games.

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I would be somewhat underwhelmed with that. We'd be going into a season with McCarthy, Steele and Lumley in the absence of Baz. I was hoping for better. I feel McCarthy has played himself into a new contract just by being better than Bazunu for a few games.

Really odd that we don't want to splash some cash for a really solid prem keeper. Really wouldn't be that much relatively. 

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Really odd that we don't want to splash some cash for a really solid prem keeper. Really wouldn't be that much relatively. 

It's a position we've not got right for years. This is a season we have a chance to redeem ourselves after relegation and we're looking at signing Jason Steele that Brighton fans think is shit, a quick glance at NSC forum shows that. I will have faith the club know what they're doing but right now it seems like we're trying to do things on the cheap, almost as if they got scared after blowing big money on crap the season before last. I'm sure we will spend a bit (I don't count THB in that as he was already signed pending promotion) but I don't think it will be as much as we hope, judging from the early signs.

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Screenshot_20240608_150613_Samsung Internet.jpg

Steele was a big surprise story, how he went from journeyman backup to playing in the prem.

Last season seemed more of a struggle. Guess i can see some logic of veteran/used to passing style if he's a cheap Mccarthy replacement/Bazanu standin, though wouldn't be my first preference.

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Between this thread, and the Circle of Trust one, we have the latest transfer news and rumours:

Rest assured Lots going on behind the scenes Munster 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Jason Steele might be a decent signing as a number 2 to a better one, on the basis we get rid of AMC and Bazunu is injured (thank god). Ramsdale would be a decent loan for a year. 

I agree, but from the sounds of it that doesn’t sound like what’s being proposed. I stand to be corrected and I hope that I am but it sounds like we’re seeking cover for Baz while he’s injured, and that could be Steele plus offering Alex a new contract (with Lumley as a third choice I guess). Bearing in mind Baz is likely to be out until the new year at the very least (he may even be out for most of the season), that would mean going over half a season (if not more) without a ‘first’ choice keeper (And that’s before we question whether Baz is even Premier League ready in the first place). We need to get this department right and right now it sounds like we’re protecting the Baz asset by using effectively back-up keepers.

I agree also that Ramsdale would be an excellent signing for a year but I’d be enormously surprised (although pleased) if that happened. I know it’s speculation season and it’s probably all just paper talk but all I hope is we’re not hitting January rotating 3 keepers because each has been as pants as the last two meanwhile dropping valuable points due to goalkeeping errors.

Just underwhelmed is all, signing back ups when perhaps we should be bringing in a first choice keeper that Baz can then fight the position for when he’s fit. Even if it’s at the expensive of another position.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I agree, but from the sounds of it that doesn’t sound like what’s being proposed. I stand to be corrected and I hope that I am but it sounds like we’re seeking cover for Baz while he’s injured, and that could be Steele plus offering Alex a new contract (with Lumley as a third choice I guess). Bearing in mind Baz is likely to be out until the new year at the very least (he may even be out for most of the season), that would mean going over half a season (if not more) without a ‘first’ choice keeper (And that’s before we question whether Baz is even Premier League ready in the first place). We need to get this department right and right now it sounds like we’re protecting the Baz asset by using effectively back-up keepers.

I agree also that Ramsdale would be an excellent signing for a year but I’d be enormously surprised (although pleased) if that happened. I know it’s speculation season and it’s probably all just paper talk but all I hope is we’re not hitting January rotating 3 keepers because each has been as pants as the last two meanwhile dropping valuable points due to goalkeeping errors.

Just underwhelmed is all, signing back ups when perhaps we should be bringing in a first choice keeper that Baz can then fight the position for when he’s fit. Even if it’s at the expensive of another position.

I wish Baz well for a complete recovery but weren't we lucky he got injured when he did...those three playoffs needed experience and Macca rose tom the occasion, h e inspired confidence, I was surprised

• Like 2

Steele is just like Bazunu, his best attribute is ability with his feet which is why RDZ liked him.

As an actual goalkeeper he is pretty average and for the majority of his time at Brighton has been a backup.

Would definitely fit the style and might even be available on loan, but definitely not better than McCarthy aside from with his feet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I'm sure we will spend a bit (I don't count THB in that as he was already signed pending promotion) but I don't think it will be as much as we hope, judging from the early signs.

You might not count it, but everyone connected to the finances at the club, the bank manager and FFP certainly will.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Dellyears said:

I wish Baz well for a complete recovery but weren't we lucky he got injured when he did…..

That is one of the meanest comments that has been posted on here recently. Completely unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Regarding the GK situation. 

I’m in a minority of one on this, I think, but I remain certain that there is some truth in the assertion that the nervous pressure to “play football” in such a critical position as goalkeeper was negatively cumulative with Gav. Especially given his comparative youth. 

I think that this eventually dulled or reduced his shot stopping, shot saving, penalty area physically dominating and overall presence. 

The priority last season seemed always for him to play with his feet - pass it around - often whilst under severe pressure at times. Anywhere else on the pitch a misplaced pass or slightly short or slightly wrong or slightly sub optimal control of the ball and you can often get away with - maybe you foul the player who dispossessed you ( as Saints often do when caught on counterattacks) but that’s simply not possible for Gav in his six yard box without giving away a penalty. I know this is all obvious but what’s not been taken into account, imo, is the nervous fatigue / tension that this constant life or death pressure can create. 

I think his football skills are very high indeed - but currently that’s ( to me) obviously been to the detriment of his standard goalkeeping skills. And the longer the season went the more obvious it became.

When Alex took over it was clear what a mentally fit more standard goalkeeping characteristics goalie could do for us - and those who argued that were he in goal earlier we might have got automatic may have an excellent point. 

Id like to think that Gav, and Saints, would learn from this and take that into consideration more this upcoming season. Asking any new goalie to play in that way - especially a young one- is going to take its toll. I’m not against the system- if and once the goalie has mastered it and it does not reduce his standard goalie skills, but at present it’s a bit hard for me to justify ahead of a season in the EPL when the pressure is even higher. Hoping it’s s work in process but I’ve yet to see a gk not do a mess in his own six yard box yet - and I’ve no doubt it mashes up the mind - and turns fans against you even though you are only doing what you’ve been told. Even the so called “ world class” goalies are susceptible. It might be a fatal flaw in the system. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

You might not count it, but everyone connected to the finances at the club, the bank manager and FFP certainly will.

And the West Ham boys are pretty good negotiators, so I can't see Flynn Downes going cheap. 

Think those that suggest we need a striker, a goalkeeper, another central defender, a left back, a central midfielder and another right winger are going to be sorely disappointed. The focus seems to be on finding a striker. Domina hasn't come off but the club seems to recognise that we need someone instead of the man made of glass and Mara doesn't cut it and Che is likely to go. The club also seems to be sticking with Baz, so McCarthy gets a new contract and we find a stop gap here.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with a back five and Wee Man at the back, so all in all, I can't see a lot of change this window. The good news is there's a lot of crap in the premier league. Aside from Leicester getting a points deduction and Ipswich coming unstuck, there's Notts Forest, Wolves, Brighton, Brentford, C.Palace who are all very mediocre and I think our current starting 11 would beat them.

2 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

And the West Ham boys are pretty good negotiators, so I can't see Flynn Downes going cheap. 

Think those that suggest we need a striker, a goalkeeper, another central defender, a left back, a central midfielder and another right winger are going to be sorely disappointed. The focus seems to be on finding a striker. Domina hasn't come off but the club seems to recognise that we need someone instead of the man made of glass and Mara doesn't cut it and Che is likely to go. The club also seems to be sticking with Baz, so McCarthy gets a new contract and we find a stop gap here.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with a back five and Wee Man at the back, so all in all, I can't see a lot of change this window. The good news is there's a lot of crap in the premier league. Aside from Leicester getting a points deduction and Ipswich coming unstuck, there's Notts Forest, Wolves, Brighton, Brentford, C.Palace who are all very mediocre and I think our current starting 11 would beat them.

We've gaps from Stu, Che, and Alex (with Baz injury) going/gone. And from the loan ends of Downes, Fraser and Brooks.

From the minutes they all got (with Brooks it's also a Tella replacement Martin was looking for), they are gaps to be filled.

Agreed that the club will be only too aware of their financial limits, and will want to do this as cost effectively as possible. Where they can keep someone, they'll try that.

No surprise the club has offered contracts to Alex and Che and will hopefully be in for Downes and Fraser.

While they'll look at other positions (why leave it to the last minute), I'd be surprised if they were the focus over the above.

I can see a back 5 too. Martin will want Stephens playing a part. So it's either that, or him taking the place of Manning, or at right back, with KWP switching. The back 3 seems the best of those.

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

The 5 existing Prem teams you mention are currently far better than us and have much stronger squads. If we don't strengthen significantly and do so astutely we will be struggling as much as we did in the season before last.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, saintant said:

The 5 existing Prem teams you mention are currently far better than us and have much stronger squads. If we don't strengthen significantly and do so astutely we will be struggling as much as we did in the season before last.

That’s what I’m expecting TBH. The under investment of previous years will not be corrected in one transfer window - anyone who thinks otherwise is just setting themselves up for a fall. 

• Like 1

We are going to need to be patient I feel this summer.  A number of factors:

- we are two weeks behind most other clubs knowing they are in Premier League

- the playing season starts later in August than normal because of Euros

- a number of our competitors have serious FFP concerns and therefore comparing their current squads is futile

- we have a lot of outbound and inbound Ioans ending

- many deals will be on hold until Euros finish

I really don’t think we will know where we are, and what we are up against, until end of August.  My sense is that other clubs competing in “mini league” at the bottom will likely include Leicester, Ipswich, Brentford, Everton and Forest as a minimum.  But probably eleven weeks away from becoming clear

• Like 2

If we go into the new season with McCarthy as number one and waiting for Baz to recover we will be going straight back down again. Time to break the hoodoo and invest in a crucial area with a good, proven keeper. Even on loan. Simple as that.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Forester said:

- a number of our competitors have serious FFP concerns and therefore comparing their current squads is futile

I really don’t think we will know where we are, and what we are up against, until end of August.  My sense is that other clubs competing in “mini league” at the bottom will likely include Leicester, Ipswich, Brentford, Everton and Forest as a minimum.  But probably eleven weeks away from becoming clear

I think that ''two weeks behind' thing is a bit of a myth in reality. In that 2 week period between us getting promoted and Ipswich/Leicester already being up, nothing has happened. We all released our retained lists at around the same time. If anything we're well ahead of Leicester because we actually have a manager.

I agree with a lot of your other points. The financial issues that other clubs are facing will severely slow down the market and restrict movement for many weeks, my hunch is that we'll focus on free transfers throughout July and loans towards the end of the window.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Forester said:

We always have to wait to the end of the teansfer window as we are usually going for players that are looking/ hoping for bigger clubs, and Saints asking less than what the selling team want. NOTHING new there.

What is different is 6 PL teams are in breach of FFP and will HAVE TO SELL before June 30th to avoid points detuctions! This give us a chance to do some business early if we are after any of those teams players.

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Yes we did struggle but I still think there was a defining moment in the whole season early on at Wolves. Earlier we'd beaten Leicester, the game before we'd beaten Chelsea and then in this game Che did the miss of all misses. Standing on the half way line we could only assume Che had fouled someone but to see that miss later was just incredible. It cost us 3 points, and I genuinely think with a win there, it would have given us the momentum to stay up. Ironic that Che could be going to Wolves.

I didn't add Everton to the list, but Fulham aren't all that great also. I'm quietly confident that with a solid replacement for Che (not that I have any ideas), we'll be very competitive next season.

5 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Our current starting 11 beats mediocre old Palace and their 4 England internationals plus Olise and Mateta. Righto.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Why are we loaning players for the u21's. Seems a complete waste of a development spot.

There's no guarantee a South American settles in England. 

39 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Its an understandable statement. I sometimes wonder, could he take a whole season in the PL, stamina wise.

He'd likely find it easier than the championship, what with the games being played out once a week instead of the craziness of 2 games a week, week in week out.

It would also be helpful if he doesn't cook his own food too, that would definitely help. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Its an understandable statement. I sometimes wonder, could he take a whole season in the PL, stamina wise.

He's just played 8 games more in the Championship, so I think hell be fine. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

He's just played 8 games more in the Championship, so I think hell be fine. 

It’s a valid question, The premiership is more demanding and he missed 13 matches last season. I think he’s got the stamina but he does seem to have an injury problem or two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

We always have to wait to the end of the teansfer window as we are usually going for players that are looking/ hoping for bigger clubs, and Saints asking less than what the selling team want. NOTHING new there.

What is different is 6 PL teams are in breach of FFP and will HAVE TO SELL before June 30th to avoid points detuctions! This give us a chance to do some business early if we are after any of those teams players.

we might not have to sell, but that doesn't mean we have any leeway ourselves to buy prior to June 30th. I wonder if the THB signing will go through next Friday when the window opens, so it's in this years FFP or will it go through on July 1st so it's in next years.