Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If you live your life being bitter about the past, you'll never move on. Time to put that to bed.

Do Leopards change their spots? 

What an awful example to set to the squad. Stab us in the back and we will forgive you in ten years time. 

Edited by Colinjb

6 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Do Leopards change their spots? 

What an awful example to set to the squad. Stab us in the back and we will forgive you in ten years time. 

I’m sure the squad don’t give a shit about what happened 10years ago when they weren’t here.

• Like 3

I’m just reading some posts on here from 2014 when lallana joined Liverpool 😁

im glad my moral compass remains intact

Remember he got just one sentence from the club on the website, and rightly so.

We should not being giving him another pound note.

• Like 4

Ultimately I couldn’t give a toss. 😂

As long as we have the same team cohesion at the end of the window that’s what matters, players pulling in the right direction.

Throw an ex-player in the mix that bailed a year ago/recent years, what does that do to the dressing room?

12 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I’m sure the squad don’t give a shit about what happened 10years ago when they weren’t here.

'Look lads, play well here and we can get you out ASAP.'

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

'Look lads, play well here and we can get you out ASAP.'

Yep, that’s exactly what he’ll be saying to everyone 🙄

Edited by ErwinK1961

8 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Iheanacho released by Leicester. Still only 27, I'd take him.

I used to rate him but he’s not done much for a few years. I think the only hypothetical I’d take him on would be if we could sell and recoup some value from Mara and bring in KI on a free to replace him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Yep, that’s exactly what he’ll be saying to everyone 🙄

No, you're right, he will tell everyone he was an idiot to leave on terrible terms, swell his bank account and win the premier league, then return like the prodigal son, all forgiven to enjoy a twilight payday.

"And you can do it too kids!!!!!"

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

No, you're right, he will tell everyone he was an idiot to leave on terrible terms, swell his bank account and win the premier league, then return like the prodigal son, all forgiven to enjoy a twilight payday.

"And you can do it too kids!!!!!"

I doubt there’s a footballer alive who would need the help of Adam Lallana to figure out that moving from Southampton to Liverpool is good for your career. I know some of them are astronomically dense, but even they will have agents explaining the situation to them, with pretty drawings and coloured crayons.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I doubt there’s a footballer alive who would need the help of Adam Lallana to figure out that moving from Southampton to Liverpool is good for your career. I know some of them are astronomically dense, but even they will have agents explaining the situation to them, with pretty drawings and coloured crayons.

So, no self respect for you then? 

Re-employing him sends a signal that we are happy to be used and f*cked over.  Lets welcome him back for a final pay day. What idiots are we.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

So, no self respect for you then? 

Re-employing him sends a signal that we are happy to be used and f*cked over.  Lets welcome him back for a final pay day. What idiots are we.

Well that’s super but it’s nothing to do with what I said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Well that’s super but it’s nothing to do with what I said.

Footballers leaving is not the point. Career progression is not the point. How they do it is critical. Resigning him shows that we are happy to have no dignity. Never mind if you treat us like sh*t, come back whenever you need a pension.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I’m just reading some posts on here from 2014 when lallana joined Liverpool 😁

im glad my moral compass remains intact

Remember he got just one sentence from the club on the website, and rightly so.

We should not being giving him another pound note.

Sounds like you swallowed the BS from the club and it's still stuck in your throat. You need to cough up that resentment mate. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, egg said:

Sounds like you swallowed the BS from the club and it's still stuck in your throat. You need to cough up that resentment mate. 

Do you have any evidence it was BS? I don't think you can really say either way. I do know for a fact that Adam was being a dick behind the scenes though I have no evidence he refused to play. MLT basically confirmed this version of events this week. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you have any evidence it was BS? I don't think you can really say either way. I do know for a fact that Adam was being a dick behind the scenes though I have no evidence he refused to play. MLT basically confirmed this version of events this week. 

Yes, but Matt Le Tissier is a fucking fruitloop who believes the below, so not sure I would take his version of events... 

https://onefootball.com/id/berita/11-of-matt-le-tissiers-wildest-conspiracy-theories-from-vaccines-to-the-communist-takeover-37793318

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Yes, but Matt Le Tissier is a fucking fruitloop who believes the below, so not sure I would take his version of events... 

https://onefootball.com/id/berita/11-of-matt-le-tissiers-wildest-conspiracy-theories-from-vaccines-to-the-communist-takeover-37793318

That has nothing to do with his chat with Adam Blackmore this week. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Hopefully Stephens can be club captain and have a bit part role off the bench with someone else on the pitch being captain on the pitch (maybe JWP or Lallana LMAO).

Alternatively bring back JWP and Lallana and make it a three way rotating captaincy!

Remember Stephens never experienced relegation with us, whilst we were a mess at the bottom he was doing quite well on loan at Bournemouth staying up. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That has nothing to do with his chat with Adam Blackmore this week. 

But it may have to do with his recollection of events or bias for or against Adam. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

8 hours ago, egg said:

But it's not BS that the club issued a terse, one line statement. It happened, I saw it.

You can make out they did it for absolutely no reason but to smear innocent lickle Adam Lallana but that seems to me just as much BS.

It's not BS that Rickie Lambert got a nice send off from the club and was allowed to write a farewell on the Saints website. It was literally within weeks so something obviously very different played out even though the two clubs involved were exactly the same.

I don't believe one second that poor defenseless Adam Lallana was forced out of his beloved Super Saints by the nasty men.

He wanted his move, he forced it through. He was signing Liverpool fans shirts before it happened or are we saying that was "BS" too, now?

Adam Lallana got what he wanted, unless someone wants to tell me he didn't want to leave. And now he looks like he's getting what he wanted a decade ago, some fucking mugs to believe he was some kind of "victim" through the process. Fair play Adam, you got them.

It looks like he is coming back and there's nothing we can do with it. I'd rather he wasn't, not really because of the above but because its a fucking pointless waste of a shirt. Will be 12 appearances contributing fuck all.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I was getting a lot of info at the time and all I'll say is that I am clear that I take Adam's denials over the rumours that people have believed. Regardless, Adam stuck by us through relegations and obviously wanted to move when Liverpool came calling and if he did stamp his feet a bit, it happens.

I have no issue whatsoever with him coming back based on events from 2014, although from a footballing perspective, it seems an odd signing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, JRM said:

Remember Stephens never experienced relegation with us, whilst we were a mess at the bottom he was doing quite well on loan at Bournemouth staying up. 

He only turned out for them 17 times and wasn't great when he did

• Like 1

Thing with Lallana is that all the negotiations at the club were with a different set of people - why would the current hierarchy be concerned with 2014 particularly if there are known mitigations in Lallana’s favour? The one precedent that sticks in my throat is that he was the Captain and to leave for a rival club for me really stank.

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

But it's not BS that the club issued a terse, one line statement. It happened, I saw it.

You can make out they did it for absolutely no reason but to smear innocent lickle Adam Lallana but that seems to me just as much BS.

It's not BS that Rickie Lambert got a nice send off from the club and was allowed to write a farewell on the Saints website. It was literally within weeks so something obviously very different played out even though the two clubs involved were exactly the same.

I don't believe one second that poor defenseless Adam Lallana was forced out of his beloved Super Saints by the nasty men.

He wanted his move, he forced it through. He was signing Liverpool fans shirts before it happened or are we saying that was "BS" too, now?

Adam Lallana got what he wanted, unless someone wants to tell me he didn't want to leave. And now he looks like he's getting what he wanted a decade ago, some fucking mugs to believe he was some kind of "victim" through the process. Fair play Adam, you got them.

It looks like he is coming back and there's nothing we can do with it. I'd rather he wasn't, not really because of the above but because its a fucking pointless waste of a shirt. [B]Will be 12 appearances contributing fuck all.[/B]

Myopia.

May only be 12 appearances, but it's also his engagement in the dressing room, his involvement in training and experience in playing recently in the Premier League contributing in the Brighton management setup. Then there's his knowledge about stepping up to a first time, his experiences in the past (whether you agree with what happened or not, assumptions are being made about how he feels about that now).

If Sport Republic feel Lallana is a net benefit for the coming seasons, then let's just see how it plays out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, egg said:

I was getting a lot of info at the time and all I'll say is that I am clear that I take Adam's denials over the rumours that people have believed. Regardless, Adam stuck by us through relegations and obviously wanted to move when Liverpool came calling and if he did stamp his feet a bit, it happens.

I have no issue whatsoever with him coming back based on events from 2014, although from a footballing perspective, it seems an odd signing. 

For me it was more the signing the Liverpool shirt before he'd signed for them and actions like that pissed me off at the time. I don't have a problem with it if he can contribute now but he still came across as an arrogant prick even if you disregard everything from the club. I think it would do him good to apologise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

But it may have to do with his recollection of events or bias for or against Adam. 

He said that Adam came to see him to ask his advice and he told him to leave in the right way. That's difficult to misremember.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Danbert said:

He only turned out for them 17 times and wasn't great when he did

Bournemouth fans i know absolutely rated him, and we're gutted when he came back to us. I said to them before that there's a lot of Saints fans who don't rate him, and they couldn't believe it. 

He was a regular for them mid season following the world cup break, ironically only losing his spot cos he was ineligible to play against us.  

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Myopia.

May only be 12 appearances, but it's also his engagement in the dressing room, his involvement in training and experience in playing recently in the Premier League contributing in the Brighton management setup. Then there's his knowledge about stepping up to a first time, his experiences in the past (whether you agree with what happened or not, assumptions are being made about how he feels about that now).

If Sport Republic feel Lallana is a net benefit for the coming seasons, then let's just see how it plays out.

You make it sound like we have been out of the premier league for a generation..it has been 12 months

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

For me it was more the signing the Liverpool shirt before he'd signed for them and actions like that pissed me off at the time. I don't have a problem with it if he can contribute now but he still came across as an arrogant prick even if you disregard everything from the club. I think it would do him good to apologise. 

Premier league footballers are often arrogant pricks mate, and also often a bit spoilt and expectant. That goes with the territory. I know if some that won't put fuel in their own cars, and even one who paid his accountant to drive up weekly to collect and deal with his post!

If I'm told by my employer that I can go if a big job comes along, but I'm then held back cos a couple of my colleagues get big job offers themselves, then I'm getting the hump. That's not on me, despite my employer having sour grapes and issuing a shitty press release when I go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Premier league footballers are often arrogant pricks mate, and also often a bit spoilt and expectant. That goes with the territory. I know if some that won't put fuel in their own cars, and even one who paid his accountant to drive up weekly to collect and deal with his post!

If I'm told by my employer that I can go if a big job comes along, but I'm then held back cos a couple of my colleagues get big job offers themselves, then I'm getting the hump. That's not on me, despite my employer having sour grapes and issuing a shitty press release when I go. 

This is what I thought might have happened. Perhaps a gentleman’s agreement stopped by others leaving. Pretty sure the same happened with Schneiderlin. It’s a problem born out of the ‘stepping stone’ club position we used to attract players, with the players that were here already wanting some of same.

No doubt toys were thrown out of the pram. I recall a referee at the time saying Lallana had ‘changed’ after how he acted playing for us away at Everton. I didn’t like how he left, as our captain and one of our own etc. However you can’t just ignore what he achieved for us, sticking with us to get us from league one -10 to top 8 in the PL. You could argue by this time he owed us nothing, as much as it stung when he left. Ironically it actually funded our most successful period in my time watching us. 

For me it’s not that he left,  it’s how he left, but he had enough credit in the bank to not turn him into a villain for a decade.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, egg said:

Do you have to be so condescending? I'm aware of the general attitude of footballers mate, my brother in law was one so I know a fair number. You've obviously been fed one side of the story and chosen to believe it which is fine. My view is a bit more nuanced in that neither side covered themselves in glory and have to take a share of the blame for how things ended. Adam should hopefully realise that he could have acted differently and I hope he admits that when he is announced. Some contrition would do him good and means the vast majority will be able to wish him well. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It looks like he is coming back and there's nothing we can do with it. I'd rather he wasn't, not really because of the above but because its a fucking pointless waste of a shirt. Will be 12 appearances contributing fuck all.

Yes, it's not so much that he signed the Liverpool shirts; got his big move and ended up writing  weasel words in the Daily Echo - none of which would bother me if he was bringing something of value back to the Club after all these years.  But what is the case for bringing Lallana back to the fold?   What's he going to deliver?    A bit part role on the pitch at 36; an experienced voice in the dressing room and a coaching role with the academy lads!       

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Myopia.

Just imagine Armstrong and Stephens and Bednarek and Walker Peters and Ryan Fraser all sat on the floor in a circle while Adam Lallana tells them his stories about this mystical place called the Premier League.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Lots of people angry at stories they don’t know the truth of I see. Ultimately the lad went onto to better things and now is coming back when neither he or us are in a comparable situation. If he wants to contribute and people at the top think he can then let’s get over it and give it a shot.

Btw, our best players will leave whether Lallana comes into the dressing room and tells them to or not. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you have to be so condescending? I'm aware of the general attitude of footballers mate, my brother in law was one so I know a fair number. You've obviously been fed one side of the story and chosen to believe it which is fine. My view is a bit more nuanced in that neither side covered themselves in glory and have to take a share of the blame for how things ended. Adam should hopefully realise that he could have acted differently and I hope he admits that when he is announced. Some contrition would do him good and means the vast majority will be able to wish him well. 

It's a fact that"s how players can be. I once saw a young Gobern throw a £10k watch as if it was a £10 Casio. I'm close friends with ex top level players, ex agents, players advisers, ex pro's still involved in the game, have had info from inside and outside the club at all sorts of levels, etc. Don't get upset about reality. 

I don't believe what the likes of you believe. The kid had chances to move but stuck with us. He then got offered a move and wanted it when he believed that was ok. The club blocked, he stamped his feet, then he went. If that's what you mean by a nuanced perspective, then we probably agree, but when the initial wrong move wasn't from Lallana, I ain't joining you boys on your pitch fork march. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m waiting for the statements when he joins. For me it’s a waste of a squad place. 

That's the killer point for me. Putting 2014 aside, I don't see what he brings as a player in 2024. 

• Like 4

So who is going to do the reveal for our new signings? 

I can picture it now a image taken from Queens's bohemian rhapsody. 

The Faces of Ings, Ward Prowse, Lallana and Fonte 

All singing in unison 

"  Saints you shouldn't of let us go let ussssssssss go ! 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just imagine Armstrong and Stephens and Bednarek and Walker Peters and Ryan Fraser all sat on the floor in a circle while Adam Lallana tells them his stories about this mystical place called the Premier League.

They all had experience in the coaches room with  tactical arrangements playing premier League clubs and in Europe?

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

They all had experience in the coaches room with  tactical arrangements playing premier League clubs and in Europe?

I'm pretty sure our actual coaches have done that.

7 minutes ago, egg said:

It's a fact that"s how players can be. I once saw a young Gobern throw a £10k watch as if it was a £10 Casio. I'm close friends with ex top level players, ex agents, players advisers, ex pro's still involved in the game, have had info from inside and outside the club at all sorts of levels, etc. Don't get upset about reality. 

I don't believe what the likes of you believe. The kid had chances to move but stuck with us. He then got offered a move and wanted it when he believed that was ok. The club blocked, he stamped his feet, then he went. If that's what you mean by a nuanced perspective, then we probably agree, but when the initial wrong move wasn't from Lallana, I ain't joining you boys on your pitch fork march. 

I was commenting on your condescending attitude suggesting that I'm not already fully aware of what many footballers are like, not you pointing out something obvious. There's also quite a number that are nothing like that so simply shrugging shoulders and saying they're all like that doesn't make arrogant behaviour alright or make him more likable. Contrast that with exemplary behaviour and personality of the likes of Surman and you can see why some footballers are more fondly thought of than others. 

It's been pointed out a few times what the behaviour was from Lallana that people objected to. If you choose to disregard it because you're mates with someone he knows or something then fine but let's not pretend you're some neutral observer. 

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's interesting how quickly the story has flipped from "it's BS" to "he did act the prick but not his fault that the club reacted to it".

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's been pointed out a few times what the behaviour was from Lallana that people objected to. If you choose to disregard it because you're mates with someone he knows or something then fine but let's not pretend you're some neutral observer

And I'm pointing out that the source of the rumours were from within, and for their own reasons. Viewing it objectively, which I do, I stand by my position that Lallana has been hung out to dry, even if he wasn't a complete angel. Still a shit signing however you look at it. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's interesting how quickly the story has flipped from "it's BS" to "he did act the prick but not his fault that the club reacted to it".

Not at all. No flipping. I've never suggested that he was a complete angel. I've  highlighted a perspective that's been lost in the spin. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Gakpo reason for not choosing Saints....dang

“The Eindhoven resident initially remains secretive about how he made his choice, but then opens up: “People might think I’m strange. I could go to Southampton, Leeds came into the race and PSV wanted me to stay.

“I presented the three options I had to God. If I scored once, I would go to Southampton. If I scored twice I would go to Leeds and if I scored three I would stay at PSV.”

To put such a monumental career decision down to how many goals you score in one game is certainly an interesting way to choose and – unfortunately for Southampton – Gakpo scored the first hat-trick of his career that night in a 7-1 win.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT
  • Confused 1