Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, beatlesaint said:

At the risk of upsetting anyone and being tarred and stoned can I just say the Championship is his level 😲

I think that's fair, I wouldn't trust him totally at PL level as first choice. It would be strange to see us dump our captain, but we did it before with Hammond....it's not unheard of. Clubs need to be ruthless sometimes and we did start by chopping Armstrong from the squad, so who knows what our approach is going to be.

I don't think he'll go to Plymouth if he leaves though, there will be a team like PNE or Sheff U, Burnley etc who'd surely have him.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I think that's fair, I wouldn't trust him totally at PL level as first choice. It would be strange to see us dump our captain, but we did it before with Hammond....it's not unheard of. Clubs need to be ruthless sometimes and we did start by chopping Armstrong from the squad, so who knows what our approach is going to be.

I don't think he'll go to Plymouth if he leaves though, there will be a team like PNE or Sheff U, Burnley etc who'd surely have him.

Can you imagine Russ doing this...or at least, not trying to stop it?

Would be pretty remarkable if true, but I agree with your point about his level. If we go into the season with Stephens starting (and end up with Bazunu in goal when he is back)...that will be that

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He would have to take a monumental pay cut and go from being skipper of a premier league club, to fighting relegation in the championship.

I know he is from there but that is a big leap. I doubt they could afford his signature either, given their recording signing is £1m

Exactly. Personally I wouldn't be too sad if he did go but from his perspective why on Earth would he? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Can you imagine Russ doing this...or at least, not trying to stop it?

Would be pretty remarkable if true, but I agree with your point about his level. If we go into the season with Stephens starting (and end up with Bazunu in goal when he is back)...that will be that

Hopefully Stephens can be club captain and have a bit part role off the bench with someone else on the pitch being captain on the pitch (maybe JWP or Lallana LMAO).

Alternatively bring back JWP and Lallana and make it a three way rotating captaincy!

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hopefully Stephens can be club captain and have a bit part role off the bench with someone else on the pitch being captain on the pitch (maybe JWP or Lallana LMAO).

Alternatively bring back JWP and Lallana and make it a three way rotating captaincy!

And Fonte of course .....

(Unless Jimmy Case can be lured out of retirement).

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Forgot about him! Was Ings ever acting captain?

Not sure.

1980's pub quiz question: name the five* England captains to play in the same Southampton side 

2024 version: name the five Southampton captains to play in the same side.

See how standards have slipped.

* I think this is a mistake and we only had four at the same time.

56 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

THB looks like obvious captain material and looks likely to play most games. Or Downes, if we can sign him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. Personally I wouldn't be too sad if he did go but from his perspective why on Earth would he? 

Guess it depends on how much game time he's looking at. If he's happy to be a bit part player here then he'll probably stay, 

Just now, SaintsLoyal said:

There is a rather big stink coming from St Marys that this Lallana has been done.  

Shame on the club if this happens, why should we do this scumbag any favours, 

I doubt he is coming here for a favour

18 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Wants to spend time with his family and gets a job nearby

Embarrassing he was at Wembley as well.

do you think the club are going to pay him a wage as a favour?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lets not forget Adam Lallana tapping up Clyne and lallana saying if he plays well for england he will have 'other options'

"Liverpool new-boy Nathaniel Clyne has revealed that the persuasive words of his former Southampton teammate Adam Lallana were crucial to swaying his decision to complete a move to Anfield".

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/37423173/nathaniel-clyne-says-adam-lallana-encouraged-liverpool-move

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

THB looks like obvious captain material and looks likely to play most games. Or Downes, if we can sign him. 

If we did get rid for some reason that would be great news as it means we are being ruthless and serious about staying up. Bit like binning off Jos. Don't think we will though. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

If we did get rid for some reason that would be great news as it means we are being ruthless and serious about staying up. Bit like binning off Jos. Don't think we will though. 

We are more likely to shoe horn Bazunu back in goal as soon as possible, rather than act like you suggest

2 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Lets not forget Adam Lallana tapping up Clyne and lallana saying if he plays well for england he will have 'other options'

"Liverpool new-boy Nathaniel Clyne has revealed that the persuasive words of his former Southampton teammate Adam Lallana were crucial to swaying his decision to complete a move to Anfield".

If you live your life being bitter about the past, you'll never move on. Time to put that to bed.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Re Stephens (and to an extent Lallana/Fonte) if this season has shown one thing its that when it counts it pays to have players who are committed to the cause and a good spirit including those who are not playing but might be called upon at any time.

It has been evident, especially when it really counted, that Russell Martin has created a good culture and I am sure as Captain that Jack Stephens has contributed significantly to that. You only had to see the celebrations to see that he, and Arma, are leaders in the group.

Not saying those players need to play every week or be untouchable (far from it), but why anyone would happily wish someone like that gone is a bit bizarre.

We have built back from a fractured squad with more than a few whose interest/commitment could be questioned - and clearly next season will be tough - so the character and culture of the squad will be even more important and the more plauers with leadership qualities the better.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 10

On Che going to Forest……..clearly Matt hasn’t seen him play for a while!!! Anyway come what may, I wish Che all the best and there’s no doubt he added to our success last season.

His old teammate – Matt Baker – even compared Adams to the Brazilian Ronaldo, telling the Guardian: “He reminds me a little bit of the old Ronaldo. He had that raw ability. I wouldn’t say he was electric quick but he was powerful and strong. He would brush people off and he could go through people, and he always had a finish at the end of it.”

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Lallana has been signed for some time, not sure why the delay in announcing it. 

Normally free transfers are announced when the old contract expires (apart from Mbappe)

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are more likely to shoe horn Bazunu back in goal as soon as possible, rather than act like you suggest

Don't disagree. Would be nice if the club did say to a few players "thanks for the promotion, you'll have great memories and a promotion bonus but now we need better than you can offer us." Think we'd have a better chance of survival in that scenario. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Re Stephens (and to an extent Lallana/Fonte) if this season has shown one thing its that when it counts it pays to have players who are committed to the cause and a good spirit including those who are not playing but might be called upon at any time.

It has been evident, especially when it really counted, that Russell Martin has created a good culture and I am sure as Captain that Jack Stephens has contributed significantly to that. You only had to see the celebrations to see that he, and Arma, are leaders in the group.

Not saying those players need to play every week or be untouchable (far from it), but why anyone would happily wish someone like that gone is a bit bizarre.

We have built back from a fractured squad with more than a few whose interest/commitment could be questioned - and clearly next season will be tough - so the character and culture of the squad will be even more important and the more plauers with leadership qualities the better.

It's a balance though isn't it. I'm sure Manning and Shea Charles have also been good for morale but I don't want either of them anywhere near the squad next year if we are serious about survival. I can see the value of Stephens in a role you describe, but it should absolutely be as a squad player only unless his performances force himself into contention. If we do get rid of players like Stephens then presumably it will be because we want to sign proven quality replacements who will definitely be better so that's potentially a good sign. I can't see us doing it otherwise - I don't think he will go at all. 

Edited by hypochondriac

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

You can only really do so much to be fair. He wasn't exactly the type to get in a punch up with someone of the foreigners who don't give a shit. Very harsh to criticise him for lack of leadership when we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. Adam Blackmore was on a show earlier this week to say as much about us not knowing what goes on behind the scenes with a lot not reported.

It was only a criticism insofar as that it's not his character to grab the team by the scruff of the neck. Indeed, I pointed out that he worked harder as that is his natural reaction to the situation the team was in. 

It's just that that was not what was required in a time of struggle.

I would welcome him back but I don't feel he has to come back eith the armband being a precondition 

9 hours ago, DT said:

I think that's right. JWP's heart is clearly still in the right place. And can still do a job. To say he's worse than Smallbone is laughable

Got to say I agree. A bit like Lallana really, in some ways if he came back and went “I fucked up by leaving” then I think he’d be welcomed back more.

But the flip side is would I want to take him back, and deep down I don’t really, the squad has changed, the mentality has changed, the atmosphere could change by someone like him returning.

Smallbone for all his flaws has come on leaps and bounds in the last five months. I’d rather him over JWP currently.

9 minutes ago, Jaime said:

It was only a criticism insofar as that it's not his character to grab the team by the scruff of the neck. Indeed, I pointed out that he worked harder as that is his natural reaction to the situation the team was in. 

It's just that that was not what was required in a time of struggle.

I would welcome him back but I don't feel he has to come back eith the armband being a precondition 

That's not lack of leadership qualities though, he's just a different type of leader. Doubt he'd be captain now. 

Let's suppose he comes back here for the rest of his career. I wonder if he'd ever look back with regret. He's undoubtedly richer but he would have had his legend status confirmed had he stayed last year. Reports surfacing now that he's struggled to settle at West ham. I bet if he was watching at Wembley that he felt a pang of what might have been. 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Got to say I agree. A bit like Lallana really, in some ways if he came back and went “I fucked up by leaving” then I think he’d be welcomed back more.

But the flip side is would I want to take him back, and deep down I don’t really, the squad has changed, the mentality has changed, the atmosphere could change by someone like him returning.

Smallbone for all his flaws has come on leaps and bounds in the last five months. I’d rather him over JWP currently.

In my opinion that's a ridiculous thing to say. Smallbone is unproven in the prem and played moderately well and very good at various times over the season. At the moment it's not even close to comporable. 

Martin places a high premium on loyalty and contribution to dressing room cohesion. That’s certainly not a bad thing – especially when we reflect on the fractured dressing room shit-show of 2022-23. However, the danger is that you can overvalue loyalty.

The danger magnifies greatly when we move back up to the PL. It’s one thing for Martin to plan on giving his “first on the team sheet” players like Stephens and Smallbone (and others) their chance at the PL level. It’s another thing entirely to assume they will cut it there when there’s little evidence that they can, and then base our player acquisitions on that assumption. That would leave us weak in key areas, with the window closed.

Martin’s first challenge is to accept that reality overpowers loyalty when it comes to some of those players.

His second challenge is to moderate his tactics so that we’re not so dependent on our keeper being the fulcrum for launching attacks - another Martin "principle". He was forced into that when Bazunu was injured, and we became much less reluctant to hit the long ball if things became too pressured back there. But we didn’t really have a long ball target to aim for because we weren’t built to play that way – mentally or personnel-wise.

As much as I commend Martin for getting us back to the PL, I sure hope that there’s another “strong voice in the room” when these decisions are being made.

• Like 6

If Del Piero can stay at Juve when they’re relegated and every big club is trying to sign him - JWP could have stayed at us.

Instead he chose to leave to a bang average club - it wasn’t Liverpool, Klopp and Gerrard or a decent utd side. It was Moyes and Soucek.

So I feel we should move on just like he tried to. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bennyev said:

If Del Piero can stay at Juve when they’re relegated and every big club is trying to sign him - JWP could have stayed at us.

Instead he chose to leave to a bang average club - it wasn’t Liverpool, Klopp and Gerrard or a decent utd side. It was Moyes and Soucek.

I’m not sure staying at Juventus when you’re 32 is quite the career sacrifice you’re implying. I’d have done the same as Prowsey and so would 99% of us in that situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Lallana has been signed for some time, not sure why the delay in announcing it. 

I understand it’s because His contract with Brighton hasn’t finished yet is the reason so not actually a free agent yet 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

If you live your life being bitter about the past, you'll never move on. Time to put that to bed.

Agree but I do hope when the inevitable interview comes that Blackmore puts the questions to him about the past and he takes the opportunity to apologise. Just ignoring it will leave a bit of a sour taste even if everyone has moved on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bennyev said:

Not really a sensible comparison is it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Not sure.

1980's pub quiz question: name the five* England captains to play in the same Southampton side 

2024 version: name the five Southampton captains to play in the same side.

See how standards have slipped.

* I think this is a mistake and we only had four at the same time.

Keegan, Mick Mills, Dave Watson, Mich Channon, Alan Ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

There is a rather big stink coming from St Marys that this Lallana deal has been done.  

Shame on the club if this happens, why should we do this scumbag any favours, 

home1023.jpg

Here come the masons 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1270428/adam-lallanas-dad-becomes-founding-master-of-football-themed-masonic-lodge/

wow, never thought james beattie was a mason (middle 3rd row)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grezz said:

Take KK and Channon out, add Shilton and Mark Wright

Interesting.

I don’t know if Watson was still here with Mark Wright. Plus Wright hadn’t captained England when he played for us, which I think was the question when first raised. 

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

Interesting.

I don’t know if Watson was still here with Mark Wright. Plus Wright hadn’t captained England when he played for us, which I think was the question when first raised. 

Watson left in January 82 and Wright arrived in March 82 - how great it was when he had a transfer deadline but no windows

3 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Watson left in January 82 and Wright arrived in March 82 - how great it was when he had a transfer deadline but no windows

It was good in some ways, but the downside would be losing players in October  (for example). 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think his relationship with Cortese needs exposing as i firmly believe it was to the detriment of the club.  

At 36 yrs old its a farce that the bigs girls blouse is even being talked about frankly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I think his relationship with Cortese needs exposing as i firmly believe it was to the detriment of the club.  

At 36 yrs old its a farce that the bigs girls blouse is even being talked about frankly.

I think you need to get over it. Sounds stressful being that annoyed by such a thing.

• Like 2