Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

JWP is 30 in November.

If ever there was a player who will pull a James Milner and play on forever it will be JWP.

I would love it if we loaned him for a year, he broke Beckham's PL free kick record in a Saints shirt, and then let's see where things end up at the end of the season. Downes & JWP would not be so far removed from Romeu & JWP...

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
additions
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

We don’t need JWP, he slows down play and is overall pretty average.

Bizarre. He is better than any other player we have and is proven in the prem unlike the vast majority of our players. Not average at all. 

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

Also at this point it is clear that the England ship has sailed for JWP. So then it just comes down to how much he valued the European games with West Ham. It's difficult to imagine him fitting in well at any other club besides Saints. Russ likes him too.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

We don’t need JWP, he slows down play and is overall pretty average.

He did often slow things down, so I see what you mean. Very frustrating at times.

However, in a RussBall team, playing in the Smallbone/Aribo role, he would offer more than under the latter stages of his time with us.

• Like 1

Just now, Suhari said:

He did often slow things down, so I see what you mean. Very frustrating at times.

However, in a RussBall team, playing in the Smallbone/Aribo role, he would offer more than under the latter stages of his time with us.

I always thought that JWP had a natural inclination towards a risk free sideways pass rather than do anything adventurous.  Last season we were at our worst when we did that so I'm not sure JWP is that much of a natural fit (unless the plan is to bore the opponent to death). 

Obviously a decent player and I wouldn't complain if we did sign him (which we probably won't) but he's not someone I'm overly bothered about either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I always thought that JWP had a natural inclination towards a risk free sideways pass rather than do anything adventurous.  Last season we were at our worst when we did that so I'm not sure JWP is that much of a natural fit (unless the plan is to bore the opponent to death). 

Obviously a decent player and I wouldn't complain if we did sign him (which we probably won't) but he's not someone I'm overly bothered about either.

Absolutely right, that was/is his natural inclination. Difference is Downes likes a forward pass and drives forward, he can also put in a decent tackle. Sorry but i prefer Downes to JWP 

• Like 3

Downes and JWP are both different players. JWP is and never has been a holding midfielder, he's always been a 'box to box' '8' or a '10'. 

JWP would be in to replace Smallbone or Aribo, not downes. 

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Absolutely right, that was/is his natural inclination. Difference is Downes likes a forward pass and drives forward, he can also put in a decent tackle. Sorry but i prefer Downes to JWP 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, JRM said:

Come back home JWP, bring that lad Downes with ya.

At 30 yrs old, he is on his last few years in the EPL, still got a great engine/ stamina. Should NOT cost too much, or a loan. I know he gives everything on the pitch for saints and knows this club inside out. He is capable of magical free kicks and would love to see him break Becks record here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Downes and JWP are both different players. JWP is and never has been a holding midfielder, he's always been a 'box to box' '8' or a '10'. 

Or Stuey, replacing a senior player with another that can bring PL experience, leadership and knows the club inside out!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Union de Santa Fe reject Saints loan bid with an option to buy for Domina.

Thank goodness for that - the clips video was an awful collection of underwhelming L1 level football.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Thank goodness for that - the clips video was an awful collection of underwhelming L1 level football.

We have been scouting him for some time, liked his progress, playing 1st team ball at 18, and see something in him. But your 5min video has made your mind up and dismissed all the pro scouters efforts???????

• Haha 1

Just now, BERMUDASAINT said:

We have been scouting him for some time, liked his progress, playing 1st team ball at 18, and see something in him. But your 5min video has made your mind up and dismissed all the pro scouters efforts???????

Not my video! Blimey, if I was him I’d be taking that down and replacing it with something that does him a favour.

13 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Danny Ings is not rejoining, it’s just lazy journalism. 😂

I imagine Downes, Fraser and Lallana will be our first three which on th face of it isn’t bad.

It’s the plugging the gaps we need to get spot on next, i.e. a goalkeeper, a striker etc.

Just like JWP was definitely not going?

I've no idea if he is or not, but highly likely he goes somewhere, he would have been touted around by his agent for sure.

• Haha 1

JWP started 34 Premier League games last season. He scored seven and assisted seven. Seems strange if the new West Ham manager has already decided to off-load him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Danbert said:

JWP started 34 Premier League games last season. He scored seven and assisted seven. Seems strange if the new West Ham manager has already decided to off-load him.

I know it's not reliable, but someone claiming to be itk on twitter says that he would like to come back and is discussing it behind the scenes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

We can't take JWP back, he would expect to be Captain, and that's Jack Shoehorn Stephens job now.

IMO, he was not a good captain in a side that drifted and struggled. Instead of leading and getting more from the players, he just tried to do more of the work.. which ultimately took away from his own play.

He was a terrific player for us, but he is not a leader. We just didn't have an alternative (or one they were prepared to entrust with the armband [cough, Romeu])

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Or Stuey, replacing a senior player with another that can bring PL experience, leadership and knows the club inside out!

and from a numbers point of view, Rothwell needs replacing too. That would be a massive upgrade.

I don't fully agree he slowed play down. I am mindful of the Grimsby cup game where he was on the bench. Our play through midfield was glacier-like slow until he came on from the last half an hour, completely took control of the game and increased out tempo tremendously. Obviously we didn't secure a result, but it just showed the difference in quality he brought to the table. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is a world beater, and a lot of passes are square (that's pretty normal for a deep lying CM), but when we step up a division. the Downes, Smallbone, Aribo trio - that seems to be our current best three - will be under much more pressure...and lets see how they cope, and how easily they find it to pass the ball forward through the lines. 

JWP ain't coming back this summer, but it's interesting to see that some fans have higher expectations of calibre of players we might bring in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jaime said:

IMO, he was not a good captain in a side that drifted and struggled. Instead of leading and getting more from the players, he just tried to do more of the work.. which ultimately took away from his own play.

He was a terrific player for us, but he is not a leader. We just didn't have an alternative (or one they were prepared to entrust with the armband [cough, Romeu])

You can only really do so much to be fair. He wasn't exactly the type to get in a punch up with someone of the foreigners who don't give a shit. Very harsh to criticise him for lack of leadership when we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. Adam Blackmore was on a show earlier this week to say as much about us not knowing what goes on behind the scenes with a lot not reported.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Except I don’t think we’ll be looking to replace Smallbone.

I like both JWP and Downes for what they’ve given us, but would be a bit concerned with the two of them together in midfield, leaving us still a bit lightweight. 

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Worth signing just to have Jeronimo on the back of a shirt. 

(Different spelling I know). 

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'm yet to see an exciting link since promotion...

Same, I’m really not fussed about having ex players returning either. I’m sure the club are looking at things differently to the majority of posters, especially in the light of Dragans interview. 

• Like 2

FWIW anyone poo-pooing a JWP link is really getting ahead of themselves. Yet again, like last season when were were supposedly too good a squad for the championship.

We are about the worst or bottom three worst squad in the league according to bookies - before probable points deductions take place for LCFC , Everton etc. 

The 14 gls/assists last season - in the EPL - from JWP in a really quite average West Ham team are good numbers from Mf. If Will or Joe hit those numbers for Saints this year they will have had a very good season. 

If anything it would be a step down for JWP. His last contract- if he leaves West Ham, needs be a good un. Saints won’t be able to pay him big big I’m guessing - so I would not be surprised to see him doing something exceptional. Or come home to Saints if that’s how he wants to play it. Either way he is better than some make out on here. People with short memories of his service to Saints. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

But was that his choice alone or was he doing what he had been instructed?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But was that his choice alone or was he doing what he had been instructed?

Who knows?  End of the day you have to go on your own opinion based on what you see and there were quite a few times when he was a bit passive to me.  As you say, it could be that's what he was told to do.  I'm not overly against him and the experience would fill a gap but, free kicks aside, he doesn't excite me much either. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Take heart in the fact that we won't be starting in the position Everton, Forest, Leicester etc have to start in. They can't even think about additions until they sell their best players first. Leicester are going to be on a double back foot with a weaker side, transfer embargo, no manager and minus points. I feel a bit for them. It will be one hell of a story if they manage to stay up.

Window isn't even open yet, once the Euro's is over it will all ramp up.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kjurwi said:

JWP is not going to happen, but i Would love a Downes, JWP and Smallbone midfield. 

OK three good players, but not exactly inspiring as a three, needs someone with some flair in there as well.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Loads of exciting links and signings last year. Then we got relegated and were shite. I'm up for a bit of pragmatism and unexciting but solid signings combined with a couple of big names from left field. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

FWIW anyone poo-pooing a JWP link is really getting ahead of themselves. Yet again, like last season when were were supposedly too good a squad for the championship.

We are about the worst or bottom three worst squad in the league according to bookies - before probable points deductions take place for LCFC , Everton etc. 

The 14 gls/assists last season - in the EPL - from JWP in a really quite average West Ham team are good numbers from Mf. If Will or Joe hit those numbers for Saints this year they will have had a very good season. 

If anything it would be a step down for JWP. His last contract- if he leaves West Ham, needs be a good un. Saints won’t be able to pay him big big I’m guessing - so I would not be surprised to see him doing something exceptional. Or come home to Saints if that’s how he wants to play it. Either way he is better than some make out on here. People with short memories of his service to Saints. 

Last i looked the bookies had us 17th. So not the worst. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Loads of exciting links and signings last year. Then we got relegated and we're shite. I'm up for a bit of pragmatism and unexcitibg but solid signal bgs combined with a couple of big names from left field. 

Yeah hopefully whoever's in charge of the transfers is better at keeping things out of the media than Wilcox/Shields etc. I'm not expecting us to make any signings until July anyway when the accounts roll over.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, madge said:

Something I’ve been told. Watch this space I suppose. 

He would have to take a monumental pay cut and go from being skipper of a premier league club, to fighting relegation in the championship.

I know he is from there but that is a big leap. I doubt they could afford his signature either, given their recording signing is £1m

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He would have to take a monumental pay cut and go from being skipper of a premier league club, to fighting relegation in the championship.

I know he is from there but that is a big leap. I doubt they could afford his signature either, given their recording signing is £1m

But, but, but...he'd be getting managed by Rooney!!!

Stephens does only have a year left on his contract, so there is a decision to make this summer. My hunch is that he'll extend with us, the romantic fan may look at a homecoming to Plymouth but it's simply not realistic I don't think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But, but, but...he'd be getting managed by Rooney!!!

Stephens does only have a year left on his contract, so there is a decision to make this summer. My hunch is that he'll extend with us, the romantic fan may look at a homecoming to Plymouth but it's simply not realistic I don't think.

At the risk of upsetting anyone and being tarred and stoned can I just say the Championship is his level 😲

• Like 3