Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 hours ago, JRM said:

As the story mentions, they need to sell players to balance their books by end if June to avoid point penalties, but we will also need to balance our books, so might not be able to spend until July 1st ourselves. I don't think anyone outside the club truly knows where we stand financially at this moment, but spending £100m in that January 2023 window, then recouping a shit load last summer and hopefully lowering the wage bill, but also missing out on about £80m or so of Prem income over the last year probably won't see us flush this month.   

56 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I still get a kick out of thinking about Forest signing so many players that summer - that some of their signings didn’t even make their 25 man squad 😂

I still get a kick out knowing we sold them David McGoldrick for a £1m and then spent that million on Sir Ricky. I remind my Forrest supporting brother law about it on a regular basis. He also thanks me for Saints sending them not one, but two limited (in his words "shit") left backs in Harding and Fox.

I am not sure of Forrest's financial issues. Sky is suggesting they are up against it FFP wise, which would explain their interest in Che.

Part of the problem they had last summer was that they didn't sell Johnson until after the June 30th deadline - which meant his income didn't go towards that years' finances. They argued that if they had sold early (before June 30th) they would get about £20m less, which would not be good financial sense. They lost that argument, hence the points loss, so you would imagine that £40m sale will be in the 2023/24 figures, making them fine for FFP.

On 05/06/2024 at 18:45, Convict Colony said:

I expect to see us try the south american market again, look for a few gems worldwide and mould the team early (not burnley early though)

Russ needs to make some decisions on who to move on, who they'd listen to offers for of those who cant be effective in this style (sully, charly etc) or is this a bullshit assumption and will russ change his style in the premier league with a more nuanced approach to possession football given the expectation we wont have it as much?

Sometimes it's really easy to predict our moves with this latest Argentina link.

Danny Ings is not rejoining, it’s just lazy journalism. 😂

I imagine Downes, Fraser and Lallana will be our first three which on th face of it isn’t bad.

It’s the plugging the gaps we need to get spot on next, i.e. a goalkeeper, a striker etc.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

The next Lionel Messi apparently (according to me)

I'm thinking more along the lines of the next Kleber Chala or Imants Bleidelis 🤩

Must mean Charlie's back!

Edited by bugenhagen

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Brandon Williams released by United. Worth a look at ? 

No thanks. Bombed out of Norwich due to attitude issues and then sidelined at Ipswich too. Has had a few problems off the field too, I think.

11 hours ago, Nolan said:

This is the sort of random shit that might actually be true. I like the fact we're out there trying to find the next superstar. 

7 hours ago, CSA96 said:

No thanks. Bombed out of Norwich due to attitude issues and then sidelined at Ipswich too. Has had a few problems off the field too, I think.

Yeah absolutely not. May spread his laughing gas misdemeanours to others! 

12 hours ago, Chez said:

Is James Ward Prowse really going to be available?

Would you even take him back if he was? There's an arguement hes better than Smallbone (pretty storng arguement tbf), but massivley average, overrated player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Would you even take him back if he was? There's an arguement hes better than Smallbone (pretty storng arguement tbf), but massivley average, overrated player. 

I think most fans would take JWP back, not that it's an option. He is a proven PL midfielder of which we have absolutely zero as it stands.

He can then carry on from where he paused and his FK record.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think most fans would take JWP back, not that it's an option. He is a proven PL midfielder of which we have absolutely zero as it stands.

For this, I think he will accept lower salary. 

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Of course we’d want him. As it stands the squad has one definite and proven premier league quality player (KWP). That’s it.

JWP would be the second. Pretty irrelevant as it won’t happen but of course we’d want him.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

wouldnt it be quite amusing if he then went on a beat the record against west ham?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Dman said:

It's not much of an argument. It's a fact. 

14 hours ago, Saint_Ash said:

Yes and No. Good news about Downes but sadly JWP seems to be on his way out having made little impact there. Not that I want to see him back here, he made his choice and the risk he took by leaving us. It was always my view that he was the archetypical 'one-club player' and this may be the confirmation. Duck out of water.

No doubt there'll be links to him now but it is better that both sides move on. Another  for the Arlesford Golf Club Veterans?

• Haha 1

Probably clutching at straws re JWP. But given we let him leave way below market value in a gentleman's agreement, if we had any kind of buy back clause if we bounced back at the first attempt. 

Personally I'd rather downes who knows the system and will slot back in seamlessly. JWP is 30 in November.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know it won't happen but getting Downes and jwp for something like 50 million and then a decent striker would be incredible and I think we'd stay up. 

I think that's right. JWP's heart is clearly still in the right place. And can still do a job. To say he's worse than Smallbone is laughable

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yes and No. Good news about Downes but sadly JWP seems to be on his way out having made little impact there. Not that I want to see him back here, he made his choice and the risk he took by leaving us. It was always my view that he was the archetypical 'one-club player' and this may be the confirmation. Duck out of water.

No doubt there'll be links to him now but it is better that both sides move on. Another  for the Arlesford Golf Club Veterans?

Always intrigued how everyone always thinks these are one sided decisions, especially on relegation.

Sometimes sales are mutually agreed due to benefits for Club and Player.

Sometimes the club would insist that the money is needed and the wages are freed up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Always intrigued how everyone always thinks these are one sided decisions, especially on relegation.

Sometimes sales are mutually agreed due to benefits for Club and Player.

Sometimes the club would insist that the money is needed and the wages are freed up.

Exactly. In effect we couldn't afford not to sell JWP, as we also couldn't afford not to offload the wages of many of the loaned out players such as ABK. 

Similar to  when  Surman left for example---- but not similar to when lallana left!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

We need players that are technically great and he is certainly that. His wages would probably be a problem. I thought he played a lot for West Ham, so it seems strange the new manager would not consider him an option. That web story may be a load of bollocks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DT said:

I think that's right. JWP's heart is clearly still in the right place. And can still do a job. To say he's worse than Smallbone is laughable

We don’t need JWP, he slows down play and is overall pretty average.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

We need players that are technically great and he is certainly that. His wages would probably be a problem. I thought he played a lot for West Ham, so it seems strange the new manager would not consider him an option. That web story may be a load of bollocks.

I dont think its strange at all personally. He's a hard working, tidy, risk free player. Perfect for someone like Moyes, not someone from the continent who wants to play something a bit more flamboyant. 

Surely JWP's wages would be an issue.  The same with Ings.   Personally I think we need to look to the future - not the past. And with Ings you have his injury record as well.  Plus he chose to leave for the money when it came down to it. 

Ben Bereton-Diaz on loan to provide some cover across the front 3 or 4 positions and to link up with Adam Armstrong again as they did to great effect at Blackburn would probably be a good signing.  

We still need a centre forward / striker to lead the line as score some goals.  We should give Stewart a chance to prove himself in the premier league as back up but I think  we probably need at least one more if not two given Stewarts injury record.  Bojan Mioviski feels like the most likely based on transfer fee and wages. 

I am not convinced about signing Lallana unless its really as player coach for the U21s.  He left us in a bad way so I don't really want him back if I am honest. I get there's not really any loyalty in football - but there should be some integrity, honest and respect.  Particularly when you leave the club that helped you become a premier league player.

One player I would take back is Matt Targett on loan at left back.  I don't think he ever really wanted to leave - and he would be an upgrade on Manning and give us some experience, leadership and commitment in the team.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I dont think its strange at all personally. He's a hard working, tidy, risk free player. Perfect for someone like Moyes, not someone from the continent who wants to play something a bit more flamboyant. 

A bit of a cultural cliche that, I can’t see why a manger who likes to play any variation of tidy, passing football wouldn’t want JWP as an option. He’s hardly Lee Cattermole.