Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

There is a pattern developing with the loss of yet another high potential youngster under RM's tutelage. It can't always be the player's fault as many of you seem to imply.      

Edozie has had plenty of opportunities to shine under four managers. He hasn’t. You can’t blame RM for that. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Edozie has had plenty of opportunities to shine under four managers. He hasn’t. You can’t blame RM for that. 

Really? While I don't believe that stats tell the whole story, the "end product" narrative that is thrown around on here doesn't stack up. Edozie was our 5th biggest contributor for goals and assists last season (6 goals and 3 assists) despite playing far less minutes than everyone else in the top 10 apart from David Brooks. His record was better than Ryan Frazers and yet Frazer got more playing time - was that because Frazer had better end product or because he was RMs mate??

Edited by StrangelyBrown
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Really? While I don't believe that stats tell the whole story, the "end product" narrative that is thrown around on here doesn't stack up. Edozie was our 5th biggest contributor for goals and assists last season (6 goals and 3 assists) despite playing far less minutes than everyone else in the top 10 apart from David Brooks. His record was better than Ryan Frazers and yet Frazer got more playing time - was that because Frazer had better end product or because he was RMs mate??

This angle is such bollocks

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Fraser offered comparable attacking stats but provided a lot more cover defensively and brings more players into the game with a better range of passing and vision. Contributing more to the overall team dynamic.

You only have to have a pair of working eyes to see that.

• Like 9

I like SamE a lot & believe he can elevate his level. This loan to a decent attacking side will help him find that level. 

RM has determined that Sam still needs time and frankly, it’s hard to disagree He did not show any improvement on last year in pre-season - not fitter not faster not quicker thinker not more confident not more powerful - It was much the same- but with worse finishing and worse final ball.

Others given the chance looked starkly more impactful on the eye - SAA and TD especially of the forwards and even BBD held the ball up better and did score “ that” goal v Lazio. 

Bringing back Wee Man and borrowing Maxwell Cornet are sensible /pragmatic calls. Both can do a job - Wee Man in particular has high levels of football intelligence - and we still have the livewire that is SAA. 

Will be watching Sam E play and like all Saints fans - and the club - hoping he has a brilliant season & comes back a star that must start. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 7

I really like Sam think he has a lot to offer but he lacks that final 10%.

I do feel sorry for him as every time he got going last season he was dropped.

At Cardiff he had the beating of the full back but no end product and couldn’t hit target when free from 8 yards.

i hope the loan works and he gets game time they will have to be patient with him but glad no option to buy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

At Cardiff he had the beating of the full back but no end product and couldn’t hit target when free from 8 yards.

i hope the loan works and he gets game time they will have to be patient with him but glad no option to buy.

Yeah I tend to agree. There is a player in there but now is the time for him to take stock, use his obvious disappointment at how things have panned out and decide how good he wants to be. He has the basic tools to become a good Premier League player and needs to take this loan opportunity, work incredibly hard and make it so the Anderlecht coach has to start him regularly. He has to put the work in. However, if he feels sorry for himself and is half-hearted he will make little or no progress - he must use this time wisely and I appreciate that he's away from home living in a country where he doesn't speak the language so it's going to be tough and he has my sympathy.

• Like 7

Sam only had step overs and was always looking to be the glory player rather than looking for the cross to set another up. That is a seasoned approach you get from players like frazer. The loan will do edozie some good

• Like 2

Agree, needs a loan. Needs to play every week. Very glad he’s gone out. With end product he could be great but at the moment he is a headless chicken and nowhere near PL level. 

Interesting window overall. Probs a 5 or 6/10. I still don’t see where our goals will come from; just hope that Cornet hits the ground running. 

10 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Agree, needs a loan. Needs to play every week. Very glad he’s gone out. With end product he could be great but at the moment he is a headless chicken and nowhere near PL level. 

Interesting window overall. Probs a 5 or 6/10. I still don’t see where our goals will come from; just hope that Cornet hits the ground running. 

I still have a feeling there are goals in this squad played in the right formation.

8 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

He was on a good run last season then got injured and lost his place. I think a loan will be good for him, and think he can make it in the Premier League (unlike Sulemana who I'm writing off)

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

All in all I don't think it was a great transfer window - a 4 or 5 out of 10 for me.  We spent a lot of money but I am not sure we spent it well.  In retrospect it look like we took a scattergun approach - there doesn't seem to have any real plan or strategy.  Apart from signing young players to sell on in a year or two.

We failed yet again to sign the centre forward and goal scorer we really needed - or improve our defence (Wood and Edwards are ones for the future and re-sales I guess) which we really needed to do.

And then there was the goalkeeper saga, the failure to sign a winger/No 10, not too mention a first choice left back, and the rush to get Edozie out the door for some reason - and the failure to move on Tall Paul, Sulemana and ABK (although they might all end up in Turkey still).

Archer looks like a better option than Bereton-Diaz and Armstrong but he is really another wide or second striker when we really needed a centre forward.  I hope at 5ft 11 he can step up and use his pace and movement to lead the line for us. But 4 goals last season does not fill me with confidence.

I would have taken JWP back on loan all summer over Maxwell Cornet. JWP would have been a first choice midfielder for us - JWP, Downes and A N Other would have been a massive improvement on what we currently have.

It will be interesting to see where Cornet plays - and if its on the left as a replacement for Edozie and cover for Fraser & BBD it's just moving the deck chairs.  Or will it be on the right wing instead of Armstrong and Dibling Or as a left back?

Was the lack of strategy or a plan down to not really having a director of football - I have a feeling it might be.  

Signing Sugawara, not selling KWP (when we were asking for too much money at £18M) and keeping Bree suggests we were lacking a clear idea of what to do.  

Its hard to pick a first 11 you have any real confidence in but here's my best attempt:

Ramsdale

Sugawara      THB    Jan    Manning

Downes       Big Les      Fernandes 

Dibling       Archer      BBD 

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, saintant said:

I still have a feeling there are goals in this squad played in the right formation.

And that formation might be that of our opponents. 1 line of 5 hugging one touchline, and 1 line of 6 on the other. Obviously, we'd have to pass our way through the large central gap, so maybe 2-0 to us? 🙂

I thought Edozie was trying different things this season, and was developing.

Massive caveat that the end product wasn't there. Also, someone posted on the end product of SAA. Gio terms it impact, and Dibling can be added to that too.

Sam's overall game has improved. If he can keep that work going and get that end product (I'd argue our system isn't massive helper in some respects there, but far from being the only reason) then he'll hopefully do really well for us later on.

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

All in all I don't think it was a great transfer window - a 4 or 5 out of 10 for me.  We spent a lot of money but I am not sure we spent it well.  In retrospect it look like we took a scattergun approach - there doesn't seem to have any real plan or strategy.  Apart from signing young players to sell on in a year or two.

We failed yet again to sign the centre forward and goal scorer we really needed - or improve our defence (Wood and Edwards are ones for the future and re-sales I guess) which we really needed to do.

And then there was the goalkeeper saga, the failure to sign a winger/No 10, not too mention a first choice left back, and the rush to get Edozie out the door for some reason - and the failure to move on Tall Paul, Sulemana and ABK (although they might all end up in Turkey still).

Archer looks like a better option than Bereton-Diaz and Armstrong but he is really another wide or second striker when we really needed a centre forward.  I hope at 5ft 11 he can step up and use his pace and movement to lead the line for us. But 4 goals last season does not fill me with confidence.

I would have taken JWP back on loan all summer over Maxwell Cornet. JWP would have been a first choice midfielder for us - JWP, Downes and A N Other would have been a massive improvement on what we currently have.

It will be interesting to see where Cornet plays - and if its on the left as a replacement for Edozie and cover for Fraser & BBD it's just moving the deck chairs.  Or will it be on the right wing instead of Armstrong and Dibling Or as a left back?

Was the lack of strategy or a plan down to not really having a director of football - I have a feeling it might be.  

Signing Sugawara, not selling KWP (when we were asking for too much money at £18M) and keeping Bree suggests we were lacking a clear idea of what to do.  

Its hard to pick a first 11 you have any real confidence in but here's my best attempt:

Ramsdale

I think one big problem we had is that we are a newly promoted side so lots of people would not have wanted to join us. Yes we spent money but the question is whether we could have got other targets who actually wanted to join us. I think we would have majorly struggled to get any improvements on Sugawara, Downes, big Les, Ramsdale and probably Fernandes though he's unproven. That's why it's quite difficult to rate the transfer window. I suppose you could compare us to Ipswich but the argument there is they had more leeway in their squad. I definitely think attack is a rather obvious weakness still and we could look back and wonder why we went for BBD and Archer but again I couldn't see many attacking options available who would want to come here. 

Regarding your starting 11, you can't expect anyone to take you seriously if you've put Manning in there. He was a liability in the championship. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think one big problem we had is that we are a newly promoted side so lots of people would not have wanted to join us. Yes we spent money but the question is whether we could have got other targets who actually wanted to join us. I think we would have majorly struggled to get any improvements on Sugawara, Downes, big Les, Ramsdale and probably Fernandes though he's unproven. That's why it's quite difficult to rate the transfer window. I suppose you could compare us to Ipswich but the argument there is they had more leeway in their squad. I definitely think attack is a rather obvious weakness still and we could look back and wonder why we went for BBD and Archer but again I couldn't see many attacking options available who would want to come here. 

Regarding your starting 11, you can't expect anyone to take you seriously if you've put Manning in there. He was a liability in the championship. 

Agree with this and its often overlooked and also we had less time than others - hard to get targets to strongly consider you when its depedent upon winning games via playoffs if they have a concrete PL option.

Judging by seemingly well sourced reports we went big on Delap early in the window and obviously didnt get him. Likely there were plenty of other forwards that the same applied to before we got BBD and then even more before Archer came in. 

Cornet said in his interview he first heard of our interest 4 or 5 days before deadline day which kind of sums up how it goes...whereas some clubs could get their top choices he probably wasnt even on our radar in May, June or July when we were after others (Rak-Sakyi for example).

Probably of the ones we signed only Lallana, Taylor, THB, Downes and maybe Sugawara were 'first choice' in our planning and obvs Ramsdale was a no brainer.

And you can't judge a window at all accurately until at least 6 months later in any case.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Ramsdale

All the good sides excluding maybe Arsenal use 4231 and Liverpool have now switched to it this season under their new coach. Other teams that use it are Villa, Brighton , Bournemouth, Fulham, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs and West Ham. Strangely, these are mostly the best sides in the Premier League. Not sure why we are trying to buck the trend but this is a sign that all the more successful clubs are playing 4231 and I'm convinced we should be doing the same.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, saintant said:

All the good sides excluding maybe Arsenal use 4231 and Liverpool have now switched to it this season under their new coach. Other teams that use it are Villa, Brighton , Bournemouth, Fulham, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs and West Ham. Strangely, these are mostly the best sides in the Premier League. Not sure why we are trying to buck the trend but this is a sign that all the more successful clubs are playing 4231 and I'm convinced we should be doing the same.

Ramsdale

Sagawara THB Bednarek KWP

Lesley    Downes

Dibling   Fernandes  Fraser

Archer

seems to get our best players on the pitch in logical positions whilst providing protection for our weak CBs.

• Like 15

9 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

Ramsdale

Sagawara THB Bednarek KWP

Lesley    Downes

Dibling   Fernandes  Fraser

Archer

seems to get our best players on the pitch in logical positions whilst providing protection for our weak CBs.

Pretty much agree with that team although maybe give Cornet a go instead of Fraser. Also I wonder if Sugawara could play as one of the double pivots and put KWP at right back and Taylor left back. As you say, the double pivot offers us protection for the back 4 when defending and when attacking one of the two can advance forward to help out the midfield. Unfortunately I don't think this system is in RM's plans. 

Edited by saintant

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Sorry should have been Taylor for Manning. 

KWP is wasted on the left and as he is right footed runs the ball in to the congested middle of the pitch - on the right he can cut in or go down the line and make the through ball pass or put in a cross. On the left it’s very predictable what he’s going to do. Plus he’s not the best defensively and he’s much worse at it on the left than the right.

So far Sugawara looks better defensively and just as good going forward.

Taylor is probably not as good a player as KWP but he is a better left back.

I don’t think the transfer window was essy for us - time and wage bill playing there part - but I don’t think we made the best of it.  

But Greaves, Delap and Clarke should not have been beyond us. 

Bojan Mioviski and Gabriel Sara were 2  other obvious signings I was surprised we dint even seem to make a move for. 

And maybe we should have looked at Morgan Whittaker over Cornet and got JWP on loan instead - but I have a feeling we’d run out of money at that point - and Cornet was all we could afford.

I think it’s also why we sold Alcaraz.

BBD and Fraser were probably just other cheap options along with Taylor and McCarthy. 

And maybe Archer was the best we could do with the money we had.

I fully expect us to go down this season - unless something changes dramatically. But I think we will be in the promotion places again next season. I just hope we can get rid of players like Tall Paul, Sulemana and ABK along the way so it give us more room to move financially next time. 

Edited by Rebel
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Sorry should have been Taylor for Manning. 

KWP is wasted on the left and as he is right footed runs the ball in to the congested middle of the pitch - on the right he can cut in or go down the line and make the through ball pass or put in a cross. On the left it’s very predictable what he’s going to do. Plus he’s not the best defensively and he’s much worse at it on the left than the right.

So far Sugawara looks better defensively and just as good going forward.

Taylor is probably not as good a player as KWP but he is a better left back.

I don’t think the transfer window was essy for us - time and wage bill playing there part - but I don’t think we made the best of it.  

But Greaves, Delap and Clarke should not have been beyond us. 

Bojan Mioviski and Gabriel Sara were 2  other obvious signings I was surprised we dint even seem to make a move for. 

And maybe we should have looked at Morgan Whittaker over Cornet and got JWP on loan instead - but I have a feeling we’d run out of money at that point - and Cornet was all we could afford.

I think it’s also why we sold Alcaraz.

BBD and Fraser were probably just other cheap options along with Taylor and McCarthy. 

And maybe Archer was the best we could do with the money we had.

I fully expect us to go down this season - unless something changes dramatically. But I think we will be in the promotion places again next season. I just hope we can get rid of players like Tall Paul, Sulemana and ABK along the way so it give us more room to move financially next time. 

Honestly I don't think we could have justified spending on greaves given our outlay on THB. Delap chose Ipswich over us so we obviously pushed for him - and I'm not sure he's worth 20 million. Clarke agreed I would have liked him but then Martin said we had other priorities which tbf we probably did. Not sure Whottaker is a better option than Cornet and we'd just have had the problem of no prem experience again. At least Cornet has performed in this league before. Agree with your last paragraph. Hopefully if we do go down we can come straight up again and be in better shape. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint NL said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SaintsFC/s/lx3aVrfZa4

Apparently the Feyenoord chief is questioning why we pulled out of the Bijlow deal. Seems like sour grapes from him, but I can imagine he's annoyed his "asset" is suddenly worth a lot less.

It could be that seeing we were in earnest, Arsenal lowered their asking price for Ramsdale, and as a result we backed out of the deal for Bijlow. It's hard to believe we discovered a deal breaker in the course of his medical that we weren't previously aware of.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Sam only had step overs and was always looking to be the glory player rather than looking for the cross to set another up. That is a seasoned approach you get from players like frazer. The loan will do edozie some good

Bit harsh on Sam tbh. He is an incredibly skilful winger that rarely looked like he couldn't beat his man. What he needs to learn is that final ruthlessness once he's round his man. Playing in the Belgium league for Anderlecht will give him lots of opportunities where they're attacking teams and he needs to hone his final delivery. If he gets that sorted he'll be a class winger.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Danbert said:

It could be that seeing we were in earnest, Arsenal lowered their asking price for Ramsdale, and as a result we backed out of the deal for Bijlow. It's hard to believe we discovered a deal breaker in the course of his medical that we weren't previously aware of.

No it isn't that's what a medical is for. One suggestion on here was that they weren't happy with the way his fractured wrist injuries had healed which is something you would only discover after a medical. 

• Like 3

How much truth is there in the onuachu stories???? Surely he wants regular football? Or does he know things on martin being pushed out we don't.

Unless the Turkish team trading in bottle caps has him brain washed

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

How much truth is there in the onuachu stories???? Surely he wants regular football? Or does he know things on martin being pushed out we don't.

What are the Onuachu stories?

1 hour ago, 6ft8saint said:

Onuachu has been linked with Goztepe but he's rumoured to want a better move than SR's backup club. I thought that was the sum of it... I imagine he thinks he can force a move to trabonzapor by not accepting any other offers.

Not really sure i understand what you're trying to say with the rest of this post - I doubt he knows anything about Martin "being pushed out" as there is very little chance Martin is about to be sacked in the immediate future. Reads like just another post trying to add a little more noise to the agenda against Martin.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, saintant said:

What are the Onuachu stories?

He's heard that there's an up and coming manager, who instead of being welded to a system, "loses his nut" when his team concedes. Apparently, this front footed aggressive manager plays to TP's strengths, and could be considered by SR. 🙂

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Dman said:

if true, disappointing. 

Serious? Trabzonspor's record signing is only €6.9m so if we were to get anywhere near that figure (seemingly doubts in the accuracy of that particular report) it would be fantastic.

He is a 30yo player that every club knows we are desperate to get rid of and a year ago it appeared he would need loaning out til his contract expired.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Serious? Trabzonspor's record signing is only €6.9m so if we were to get anywhere near that figure (seemingly doubts in the accuracy of that particular report) it would be fantastic.

He is a 30yo player that every club knows we are desperate to get rid of and a year ago it appeared he would need loaning out til his contract expired.

agreed, think its a decent fee. 

I suspect we also re-couped a fee when loaning him out last season too

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Its more on a personal note that I think he'd offer us something and for such a minor fee or shall I say considerable loss, I'd rather we kept him and threw him on when we needed a goal. 

But I do appreciate hes a deprecating asset and we've probably ruled out ever playing him. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Onuachu apparently rejects Goztepe and agrees 3yr deal at Trabzonspor, €8.5m.

The latter mentioned here.

https://x.com/JustSaints_/status/1833065882588729385

I'll miss his chant

P-p-p-Paul, Onuachu, P-p-p-Paul, Onuachu, P-p-p-Paul, Onuachu, P-p-p-Paul, Onuachu, P-p-p-Paul, Onuachu, P-p-p-Paul, Onuachu, 

Will be sad to see him go, hope they invite him back to play for Saints Legends v Russell Martin XI next month. 

End of an era. 

RTttatagtagy.thumb.jpg.1d9451305a6c7417db49bc874d5cf2fa.jpg