Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Whilst it’s a chance of recouping the money on sulemana I do like him and think he could have still came good . With how things are going under Martin atm losing players like Alcaraz and sulemana leaves a funny taste with me .. under a different manager  and play style which could happen soon  both could have potentially thrived . At least Fernandes is looking great to compensate for Alcaraz leaving though .

Sulemana was very disappointing last season; but, as you say, under a different manager and playing style he could yet prove himself at a good level.     RMs possession based style and slow build up did not suit KS or Charly for that matter.    Both are players who need the space and early  delivery to exploit stretched defences .   With the likelihood of Downes, Les Ugo and Fernandes being the preferred midfield things will likely improve for the likes of Cornet, Fraser, Archer etc

All our centre backs are struggling so far. Joel Matip is available as a free agent so might he be worth a look? Ok, he's just turned 33 but good centre backs can play on past that age. He always looked calm and assured, reads the game extremely well, is a unit so useful in the air, passes well and is not afraid to carry the ball out of defence at the right time. I reckon he'd bring some experience and a calming influence to our haphazard defending. Trouble is West Ham are currently showing interest so we'd have to move fast. Also we're probably overloaded in this position but he'd certainly add something plus Adam Lallana knows his qualities.

So now the Saudi window is shut and we still have a few players I think that we would like to move on here are a selected list of countries whose windows are still open: 

Turkey (Sept 13)
Greece (Sept 11)
Belgium (Sept 6)
Switzerland (Sept 9)
Serbia (Sept 13)
(all from Transfermarkt)

So this leads me to a couple of questions - assuming we are looking to trim Tall Paul, Kamaldeen (if Ajax falls through), ABK and maybe Edozie on loan, are there clubs in the leagues above that might be able to afford and then convince players to join them? 

I think Turkey for all 3 is the most likely, but given what we have seen with Trabzonspor so far, I would assume the club are exploring all options. There are some big clubs in Greece who will be playing European football this season..

However, if we get to the end of the window in these countries without any serious offers or options to move players on, would the only thing stopping us sending, say Tall Paul, to Goztepe, be the player themself not wanting to play there? Surely if we are going to be paying their wages anyway, it would make sense no? I know that they have striking options already, but his record speaks for itself. 

I could see ABK end up at one of the big 3 in Turkey on loan as well. 

Edozie is an interesting one - surely there is a potential club in Belgium or Switzerland playing European football he could get consistent game time at? 

1 hour ago, saintant said:

All our centre backs are struggling so far. Joel Matip is available as a free agent so might he be worth a look? Ok, he's just turned 33 but good centre backs can play on past that age. He always looked calm and assured, reads the game extremely well, is a unit so useful in the air, passes well and is not afraid to carry the ball out of defence at the right time. I reckon he'd bring some experience and a calming influence to our haphazard defending. Trouble is West Ham are currently showing interest so we'd have to move fast. Also we're probably overloaded in this position but he'd certainly add something plus Adam Lallana knows his qualities.

Good shout but I guess as a free agent his wages would be too high for us 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Good shout but I guess as a free agent his wages would be too high for us 

Yeah, maybe but could be worth every penny if he can stabilise our defence and help cut out the soft goals. He's a very experienced player so would have bags of influence at the back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah, maybe but could be worth every penny if he can stabilise our defence and help cut out the soft goals. He's a very experienced player so would have bags of influence at the back.

Would be a great addition, but as you say we’re overloaded with CB’s now and can’t even shift Stephens out of the starting 11, so just can’t see it working let alone actually happening!

I feel sorry for Sulemana. He has lightning pace and needed a team to play to that strength, early through balls to feed him. We didn't. Playing tippy tappy and receiving the ball facing his own goal just destroyed any chance to use his pace. The same theory with TP he needed to get into the goal area and get across defenders and first to the cross. We didn't play to him either. Our one trick pony style doesn't suit them so it's better they go where they are valued and understood. Alcaraz was also a wasted talent.

In a way an indictment of the manager. Rather than designing a style to suit our strengths and weaknesses we get a one size fits all approach that the players have to fit whether suited or not.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, derry said:

I feel sorry for Sulemana. He has lightning pace and needed a team to play to that strength, early through balls to feed him. We didn't. Playing tippy tappy and receiving the ball facing his own goal just destroyed any chance to use his pace. The same theory with TP he needed to get into the goal area and get across defenders and first to the cross. We didn't play to him either. Our one trick pony style doesn't suit them so it's better they go where they are valued and understood. Alcaraz was also a wasted talent.

In a way an indictment of the manager. Rather than designing a style to suit our strengths and weaknesses we get a one size fits all approach that the players have to fit whether suited or not.

Yep that's the primary weakness of our manager. The best managers have a level of flexibility and utilise the tools they have. Not Martin. 

• Like 6

Sulemana's lack of progress was not down to RM for gods sake. Some are just clutching at straws that he could have been the next big thing. The problem with that is the player had to have the right mental attributes and the willingness to learn.

I honestly do not think that Sully as much as i liked him had enough of either to ever make it in English football.

Reading his personal stuff he posts it comes across that he believes he is already a big player. He is all huff and puff but lacks any end product and lacks a footballers brain. We took a punt on a guy that had blistering pace and hoped we could coach him into a Premier League player....it hasn't worked out, that does not make it the managers fault, far from it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, derry said:

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Sulemana's lack of progress was not down to RM for gods sake. Some are just clutching at straws that he could have been the next big thing. The problem with that is the player had to have the right mental attributes and the willingness to learn.

I honestly do not think that Sully as much as i liked him had enough of either to ever make it in English football.

Reading his personal stuff he posts it comes across that he believes he is already a big player. He is all huff and puff but lacks any end product and lacks a footballers brain. We took a punt on a guy that had blistering pace and hoped we could coach him into a Premier League player....it hasn't worked out, that does not make it the managers fault, far from it. 

Always good to read differing points of view 👍

• Like 2

The athletic did a write up about each teams transfer window.

Here's a link with paywall bypass:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240903060907/https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5735669/2024/09/03/premier-league-clubs-transfer-window-ranking/

For anyone who doesn't want to read it all, here's our bit....

10 – Southampton

A Chelsea/Nottingham Forest-esque splurge of almost 20 new signings from last season’s Championship play-offs winners, reflecting the job at hand for manager Russell Martin — who will need plenty of time to pull it all together while maintaining a style of play that sees them keep the ball more than Barcelona in their tiki-taka heyday.

Southampton old boys Ryan Fraser and Adam Lallana came back, Aaron Ramsdale was an excellent signing who could prove the difference in their anticipated relegation battle and someone had to sign Maxwel Cornet (so Southampton did). Meanwhile, Ben Brereton Diaz at just £6.5million could be the bargain of the summer.

Overall, pretty decent.

Describe it in one word: Feverish

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

The athletic did a write up about each teams transfer window.

Here's a link with paywall bypass:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240903060907/https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5735669/2024/09/03/premier-league-clubs-transfer-window-ranking/

For anyone who doesn't want to read it all, here's our bit....

10 – Southampton

A Chelsea/Nottingham Forest-esque splurge of almost 20 new signings from last season’s Championship play-offs winners, reflecting the job at hand for manager Russell Martin — who will need plenty of time to pull it all together while maintaining a style of play that sees them keep the ball more than Barcelona in their tiki-taka heyday.

Southampton old boys Ryan Fraser and Adam Lallana came back, Aaron Ramsdale was an excellent signing who could prove the difference in their anticipated relegation battle and someone had to sign Maxwel Cornet (so Southampton did). Meanwhile, Ben Brereton Diaz at just £6.5million could be the bargain of the summer.

Overall, pretty decent.

Describe it in one word: Feverish

Odd comment about the Wee Man. He is no more a Southampton OB than THB or Flynn Downes, and arguably nowhere near as important a signing than either of them.

Can’t say I’m optimistic any option on sulemana will be picked up.

i still find that whole transfer logic of that period bizarre. Sign a young unfinished promising pacy attacking player for 20m rather than recall our own young promising pacy attacking player who was scoring goals for fun on loan.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

i still find that whole transfer logic of that period bizarre. Sign a young unfinished promising pacy attacking player for 20m rather than recall our own young promising pacy attacking player who was scoring goals for fun on loan.

Because they trusted their amazing transfer wisdom, dreaming of cashing in, rather than the reality of a player they already had, and had made a decision on.

12 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Were we able to recall him? 

15 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Think it’s without an option, just a straight loan.

IMG_3395.thumb.jpeg.c21518bd55af7b4fe687657a74b6f240.jpeg

Good news.

There is something there, but we're not going to find it with him getting 10 mins here or there at the end of a PL match.

• Like 6

Good move for him. It'll be interesting to see how he does over there, will be watching closely. Jury is still out for sure, but I've not given up on him yet.

I wonder what this means for Sulemana? (the lack of news from Ajax is quite damming I think) I'd find it hard to believe that we'd loan out both Sulemana and Edozie, as it could leave us a little short if we had any injury issues.

• Like 1

Edozie clearly needs this loan because he has not demonstrated that he can perform at the level we require. The attributes he has shown are that he is good on the ball and can get past an opponent. However, there has rarely been an end product plus his finishing is pretty poor. If he can work on and improve those aspects plus maybe work in the gym to build up his upper body strength he has the potential to make a very good winger. A season of hard work at a club like Anderlecht, assuming he gets plenty of playing time, could be the making of him. I wish him luck.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Good move for him. It'll be interesting to see how he does over there, will be watching closely. Jury is still out for sure, but I've not given up on him yet.

I wonder what this means for Sulemana? (the lack of news from Ajax is quite damming I think) I'd find it hard to believe that we'd loan out both Sulemana and Edozie, as it could leave us a little short if we had any injury issues.

In terms of numbers we're still pretty stacked in wide areas whether that's wide in a three or more traditional winger type.  By my reckoning there's Cornet, Fraser, BBD, Armstrong, Sam Amo.  Aribo can and has done a job there as well and I think I recall that Manning plays wide left for Ireland.  Decent case that not all of them are great options but then neither is Sulemana. 

I can't see us deliberately keeping hold of Sulemana if we have an opportunity to shift him out on loan.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

In terms of numbers we're still pretty stacked in wide areas whether that's wide in a three or more traditional winger type.  By my reckoning there's Cornet, Fraser, BBD, Armstrong, Sam Amo.  Aribo can and has done a job there as well and I think I recall that Manning plays wide left for Ireland.  Decent case that not all of them are great options but then neither is Sulemana. 

I can't see us deliberately keeping hold of Sulemana if we have an opportunity to shift him out on loan.

You're right, I didn't even count Cornet - forgot about him. Just realised Dibling too can play from wide areas.

Makes sense in that case.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yes.  And at a pinch we could even play KWP right wing in front of Sukiwara.

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Does anyone have the incomings from that window? I could do with a laugh.

Summer 2022 -

Roméo Lavia (sold for big profit)
£15m 

Gavin Bazunu (long-term injured and pretty poor)
£14m 

Mateusz Lis (sold for a small profit)
£Free

Ainsley Maitland-Niles (left)
£Loan

Armel Bella-Kotchap (trying to get rid of)
€12.00m

Sékou Mara (sold for a small loss)
€11.50m

Duje Caleta-Car (sold for a loss)
€8.00m

Samuel Edozie (loaned out)
€8.00m

Juan Larios (Still here, but injured for a year)
€7.00m

Joe Aribo (Still here)
€7.10m

January 2023 -

James Bree (Still here)
£850k    

Mislav Orsic (sold for a loss)
£5.75m

Carlos Alcaraz (sold for small profit)
£13m

Paul Onuachu (trying to get rid of)
£18m 

Kamaldeen Sulemana (trying to get rid of)
£23m 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Looks overjoyed to be joining Anderlecht :uhoh:

spacer.png

I like the colour of Anderlecht’s shirts but the sponsor and design let it down a bit.

Hope Samuel has a good spell there and adds some of the end product missing from his time at SFC so far. 

Are Anderlecht in European competition this year?

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Summer 2022 -

£15m 

£14m 

£Free

£Loan

€12.00m

€11.50m

€8.00m

€8.00m

€7.00m

Joe Aribo (Still here)
€7.10m

January 2023 -

James Bree (Still here)
£850k    

£5.75m

£13m

£18m 

£23m 

So if we go just on the summer, it appears that two out of the ten have been any sort of a success. So maybe 2/10 is more accurate. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Summer 2022 -

£15m 

£14m 

£Free

£Loan

€12.00m

€11.50m

€8.00m

€8.00m

€7.00m

Joe Aribo (Still here)
€7.10m

January 2023 -

James Bree (Still here)
£850k    

£5.75m

£13m

£18m 

£23m 

Jesus Christ. I hope everyone involved with this recruitment / scouting has been sacked 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Didn't he take his spreadsheet and contacts list off to Chelsea by the end of the year...??

Yeah, our highly rated DoF/Recruitment types were fucking shite, as the clubs that employed them are now finding out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ken Tone said:

Yes.  And at a pinch we could even play KWP right wing in front of Sukiwara.

This is what we should do from the start, with Taylor at LB. Much more balanced. Cornet on the other side and BBD or Archer through the middle.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Confirmed by FIFA that Ajax missed the paperwork deadline and won't be allowed to take Sulemana on loan

Now we should integrate him into the squad and use him when we need pace especially against the better sides.

• Like 6

On 02/09/2024 at 17:16, saintant said:

It's a real shame because Kamaldeen has the raw materials to be a top player. Maybe he just can't or won't learn the finer parts of the game so he's simply a speed merchant with nothing else in his locker. Mane was raw when we signed him but he was a quick learner and clearly hungry to succeed - I don't see that in Kamaldeen but maybe one day he'll prove most of us wrong and turn up playing scintillating football for a top side but I wouldn't bet on it.

There is a pattern developing with the loss of yet another high potential youngster under RM's tutelage. It can't always be the player's fault as many of you seem to imply.      

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, derry said:

Now we should integrate him into the squad and use him when we need pace especially against the better sides.

No, he can carry on training and get his gent to sort something better out in January.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

There is a pattern developing with the loss of yet another high potential youngster under RM's tutelage. It can't always be the player's fault as many of you seem to imply.      

I agree. Obviously the system has stifled the likes of Sulemana, Alcaraz and Edozie as the tempo is too slow for them to take advantage of unorganised defences. The wingers especially beat their man and then are faced with the rest of the team sat in the penalty area in a deep block. BBD is suffering from this too and currently looks worse than he did for Sheffield Utd, as he isn't getting the chance to cut inside and have shots on goal.

Not utilising Meghoma, Dibling and Amo-Ameyaw enough last year was also very frustrating. Meghoma especially was showing after Christmas in the FA Cup matches that he was far better than Manning and deserving of 1st team minutes, but Martin wasn't interested and now Meghoma has (quite rightly for his career) gone - despite being better than almost all of our current depth options. Dibling and SAA probably should have had some minutes when everyone else was underperforming, but that is less of an issue as they're still here.

He isn't the youth development manager that he repeatedly says he is. He doesn't give them minutes to develop. He would rather buy older players to potentially block academy player's minutes.

He specifically bought Shea Charles but refused to use him despite Smallbone playing terribly at DM. He has got rid of (or tried to get rid of) Sulemana, Alcaraz and Edozie instead of improving them. He keeps hooking THB despite Stephens playing worse and consistently putting other players in the shit with his passes.

Hopefully the young players here show improvement under him this season.

• Like 5