Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I get all that but they are elite performers for a reason. Because they were driven to be better than everyone around them. Elite performers in any field want to win things and compote at the top.

Eric Cantona retired after being a legend and winning loads at one of the worlds biggest clubs, David Bentley, do me a favour, decent enough but hardly a top player. I’m surprised why someone like Toney who’s star was on the rise and could have gone to a champions league club and challenged for the title has chose to move there in his prime. Maybe after he’s won a few things but not now. 

Probably a topic for another thread, but Toney is an addict and will have to make decisions based on finances, career, and his addiction. If he's focusing on the latter (he should and I think he is) he'll make decisions that keep life as simple as possible, and in doing so avoid ego trips and anything that could lead to resentment.

A cushy gig in Saudi where he has no chance of being picked for England then overlooked would tick all the boxes. 

For any other footballer, it's still a job, and I believe it's more about money than winning things for pretty much all of them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

@egg @Paul Chuckle Why that emoji? You might not care, but others might.

This is a football thread, about real life footballers. That he's signed for us interests me. How he's rated on a game isn't of any interest to me, and I don't think its relevant. By all means start a thread on the lounge about computer game player ratings if you want, but this ain't the place for it imo. 

And no, I'm not interested in your opinion on it, or a discussion. You've got the answer you asked for. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

This is a football thread, about real life footballers. That he's signed for us interests me. How he's rated on a game isn't of any interest to me, and I don't think its relevant. By all means start a thread on the lounge about computer game player ratings if you want, but this ain't the place for it imo. 

And no, I'm not interested in your opinion on it, or a discussion. You've got the answer you asked for. 

The game ratings are based on people watching him in real life and giving their view on his real life ability. So it is relevant as people like to hear others opinions on the quality of players Southampton sign from people that regularly watch them play.

Edited by Matthew Le God

27 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Onuachu will go to Turkey but I think ABK will stay and Martin will cast him aside. Shame really as he's potentially our best CB.

He picked him against Cardiff 

36 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Onuachu will go to Turkey but I think ABK will stay and Martin will cast him aside. Shame really as he's potentially our best CB.

Its no use being 'potentially' anything. A manager has to deal with the realities not the possibilities.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

It baffles me why any player in their prime would want to move to there or the MLS, we had it also with China a few years ago. Surely as a sportsman you’d want to compete at the best level you could for as long as you could. I can understand it if he was 34 wanting one last big contract having achieved all you could but at 28 when he could have been competing at the top of a major league and playing for your country? 

45 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm with lighthouse on this. To us fans being a top pro footballer feels like a bit of dream, but these guys are working. If I had the choice of working for 2 years earning £30m or so and then retiring, or working 4-5 years for the same money then retiring, I'd take the 2 year option. Seems to me that's what Toney has chosen to do. 

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I get all that but they are elite performers for a reason. Because they were driven to be better than everyone around them. Elite performers in any field want to win things and compote at the top.

someone like Danny Ings moving to another premier league club for more money, get it. Same level of competition, bigger club more money, get all that. Someone who could actually win stuff going to an inferior league and risking his international career at the same time I dont

Eric Cantona retired after being a legend and winning loads at one of the worlds biggest clubs, David Bentley, do me a favour, decent enough but hardly a top player. I’m surprised why someone like Toney who’s star was on the rise and could have gone to a champions league club and challenged for the title has chose to move there in his prime. Maybe after he’s won a few things but not now. 

Toney is 28, came up through the leagues, may well come from a poorer background. He's run his contract down at Brentford, so in all likelihood his personal financial portfolio won't be quite as mind bending as other strikers with his current profile. 

Offered the choice to set him his close family, and possibly extended family up for life maybe he's doing the unselfish thing. Also gambling is illegal in Saudi so it would be easier to stay away from it, and fewer temptations. 

There was a discussion last night on BBC R5 where it was pointed out that actually there were a fair few top players at the Euros who came from the Saudi league. Kante being a prime example. 

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Toney is 28, came up through the leagues, may well come from a poorer background. He's run his contract down at Brentford, so in all likelihood his personal financial portfolio won't be quite as mind bending as other strikers with his current profile. 

Offered the choice to set him his close family, and possibly extended family up for life maybe he's doing the unselfish thing. Also gambling is illegal in Saudi so it would be easier to stay away from it, and fewer temptations. 

There was a discussion last night on BBC R5 where it was pointed out that actually there were a fair few top players at the Euros who came from the Saudi league. Kante being a prime example. 

Him getting picked for England, and overlooked when he thinks he shouldn't, would mess with his head more than it would for most. Going there he'll have zero expectation of an England pick, so he'll never feel rejected. The move works for him on many levels. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Its no use being 'potentially' anything. A manager has to deal with the realities not the possibilities.

Well I'd say he's definitely our second best centre back on ability. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, egg said:

Him getting picked for England, and overlooked when he thinks he shouldn't, would mess with his head more than it would for most. Going there he'll have zero expectation of an England pick, so he'll never feel rejected. The move works for him on many levels. 

Also he was playing at Peterborough so hasn’t been on huge wages and only PL wages for 3 or 4 years. Plus he liked to gamble so financially might not be as flushed as many think.

47 minutes ago, whelk said:

He picked him against Cardiff 

To put him in the shop window and prove he doesn't have a fitness issue. RM admitted that and said after the game he is our "sixth CB option".

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 2

He looks amazing here

The lad is a unit. He is holding off experienced pros aged 17 and clearly knows where the net is.

CHDAJFU at 9 when we're up against it and need an out ball?

Quality signing - well done to the recruitment team: If you can't buy a ready made £30m talisman striker maybe you can grow your own?!

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
extras
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stu Man Do said:

Looks like Ipswich have probably brought themselves a little PSR issue in the next two seasons if they don’t stay up. Not sure how sellable their buys will be.

On the PSR issue. I think although we've got a bloated squad for right now we're in a pretty good position long term.

ABK
Onuachu
Sulamana

Gotta think there is 30-40M there. Wouldn't surprise me to see Edozie leaving in the next couple of windows.

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

On the PSR issue. I think although we've got a bloated squad for right now we're in a pretty good position long term.

ABK
Onuachu
Sulamana

Gotta think there is 30-40M there. Wouldn't surprise me to see Edozie leaving in the next couple of windows.

That's really optimistic I think.

£7m tops for Onuachu as he still has a market. The other two don't really have a market, I can see them going the same way as Hoedt and Boufal where we have to pay them off.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£7m tops for Onuachu as he still has a market. The other two don't really have a market, I can see them going the same way as Hoedt and Boufal where we have to pay them off.

I'm not so sure. ABK I think will still fetch a decent fee £15M range. Onuachu is still appealling for a certain type of team and we obviously didn't want to sell for £7M or he'd be gone. Sulamana easily the most washed, lucky to get much over £5M there.

But then who thought we'd get £10M for Seku? 😅

Sulemana might be frustrating, but he is still a man mountain solidly built average height man who was clocked as the fastest player at the World Cup 18 months ago. 

Plenty of teams will watch the two goals he scored against Liverpool, see his injuries and appearances. Deduce that it hasn't worked out for him and he is worth a punt. £10m all day (we paid £22m I think)

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
small ≠ far away
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Sulemana might be frustrating, but he is still a man mountain, who was clocked as the fastest player at the World Cup 18 months ago. 

Plenty of teams will watch the two goals he scored against Liverpool, see his injuries and appearances. Deduce that it hasn't worked out for him and he is worth a punt. £10m all day (we paid £22m I think)

I get your general point but I don’t think you can describe someone who is 5 foot 8 or 9 as a man mountain 😂

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Sulemana might be frustrating, but he is still a man mountain, who was clocked as the fastest player at the World Cup 18 months ago

This line keeps getting trotted out, but it’s a bit pointless when you have zero end product. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I get your general point but I don’t think you can describe someone who is 5 foot 8 or 9 as a man mountain 😂

Man Mole-hill*

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Fair enough. I haven't seen him play live. But he looks big on the tele and he is definitely carrying some momentum when up to speed. 😁

sulemana-southampton.jpg

16 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

This line keeps getting trotted out, but it’s a bit pointless when you have zero end product. 

Indeed. At the end of the day we spent £35m on him and Edozie. Monumental waste of money. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

You can't train speed and size very much. You definitely can train end product - although the player does have to be willing to learn.

The PL is littered with physical specimens - that's one of the key differences in the gap between the leagues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I think we will get some more back with the Turkish and possibly Saudi windows, and I didn’t realise the Dutch window was open until Monday. Ipswich have bought some players at the right age too with potential but can’t afford too many Sulemanas/Carillos or they need one or two Lavias to cushion them under the current PSR framework.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

8 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

You can't train speed and size very much. You definitely can train end product - although the player does have to be willing to learn.

The PL is littered with physical specimens - that's one of the key differences in the gap between the leagues.

Hence why Will is struggling. Drew Surman is a good example for him on how to build a bit more physical presence without trying to be Papa Bouba Diop to go with his technical ability and going on to be a PL regular for quite a few years.

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Fair enough. I haven't seen him play live. But he looks big on the tele and he is definitely carrying some momentum when up to speed. 😁

sulemana-southampton.jpg

Alongside man mountains Theo Walcott and KWP 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think tp is at least 10m don't be swayed by the shit offers we have had so far 

Sulemana is probably worth a similar figure

Edozie could go at some point probably similar value to Mara

Abk I worry is over valued due to his injury/chest condition 

5m maybe

29 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I think tp is at least 10m don't be swayed by the shit offers we have had so far 

Sulemana is probably worth a similar figure

Edozie could go at some point probably similar value to Mara

Abk I worry is over valued due to his injury/chest condition 

5m maybe

I think he’s closer to 1 m 98 cm but go with your best estimate if you prefer….😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/08/2024 at 18:29, Behind Enemy Lines said:

We get to see him on the grass in two weeks. 

Yes, Stewart has gone from comparisons with the Loch Ness Monster to being closer to Shergar

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

On 31/08/2024 at 07:48, Suhari said:

Right. Hungover, but think I'm caught up on the pre-SLAM news. Quite enjoyed reading the thread.

Do we know why Edozie didn't finalise a move? (Aside from his lack of end product I mean).

Apparently he was all set to move to Rangers on loan but the move fell through when we wanted £1m for the loan as well as for Rangers to pay his £30k per week wages.

I saw this while looking on the internet

Southampton's club history is marked by notable league and financial recovery.

Key signings like James Beattie, Kevin Keegan, Dusan Tadic, and Virgil Van Dijk were pivotal.

Players like Rickie Lambert, Sadio Mane and Claus Lundekvam, had important careers at Southampton.

Southampton have had a notable spell in and around the upper reaches of the English football pyramid in recent decades, and their club heritage is steeped in Football League and FA Cup appearances that have made them a recognisable institute of the game on the south coast. In fact, alongside being the FA Cup holders of 1976, since first winning promotion to the old Division One 10 years prior to that honour, the Saints have spent just 11 seasons outside of the top flight.

But those days as over and now we have so many inexperienced and average players compared with the ones I watched between 1962 and 2020 and I really feel sorry for the ones who regularly watch the Saints today as I saw some really topclass players

6 minutes ago, John B said:

Key signings like James Beattie, Kevin Keegan, Dusan Tadic, and Virgil Van Dijk were pivotal.

Players like Rickie Lambert, Sadio Mane and Claus Lundekvam, had important careers at Southampton.

Southampton have had a notable spell in and around the upper reaches of the English football pyramid in recent decades, and their club heritage is steeped in Football League and FA Cup appearances that have made them a recognisable institute of the game on the south coast. In fact, alongside being the FA Cup holders of 1976, since first winning promotion to the old Division One 10 years prior to that honour, the Saints have spent just 11 seasons outside of the top flight.

But those days as over and now we have so many inexperienced and average players compared with the ones I watched between 1962 and 2020 and I really feel sorry for the ones who regularly watch the Saints today as I saw some really topclass players

Really liked that write up apart from the last paragraph. That was a really gripey downer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John B said:

Those were the days before bloated squads and the top clubs having the financial clout to hoover up all of the available talent. It’s unthinkable for a players like Ron Davies, Terry Paine and Mick Channon  to be playing for a lowly team as we were then nowadays. There were plenty of quality players to be found in the lower regions of the old Division 1. 

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Apparently he was all set to move to Rangers on loan but the move fell through when we wanted £1m for the loan as well as for Rangers to pay his £30k per week wages.

Shouldn’t you be putting up some random picture instead . Saying it how it is, is so old fashion.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

That's not true. We'd accepted what Rangers had offered, they were the ones who pulled it at the 11th hr.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Yes, Stewart has gone from comparisons with the Loch Ness Monster to being closer to Shegar

There have been more sightings of the Loch Ness Monster in the last year than there have been of Stewart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's not true. We'd accepted what Rangers had offered, they were the ones who pulled it at the 11th hr.

17 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I'd trust Alfie House vs a Sun article by Alan Nixon...

https://x.com/AlfieHouseEcho/status/1829926175923155112

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

They seem to agree that Rangers pulled out of the deal. Not sure what the issue is?

If I’m reading it correctly, Saints looked to change the terms of the agreement with a loan fee (or increasing it after a move was agreed). 

Net result the same though 

Edited by Badger

58 minutes ago, Badger said:

If I’m reading it correctly, Saints looked to change the terms of the agreement with a loan fee (or increasing it after a move was agreed). 

Net result the same though 

I think the point being made is that there may or may not have been a loan fee, but whatever the deal was, it was originally agreed by Rangers. Rangers then decided to back out of that agreement, rather than a new fee being introduced which pushed them away.

Like you say, net result the same, the deal didn’t get done. Given we’ve got BBD, Cornet and Wee Man, Edozie looks to be in a pretty tricky place. Either he fights for his pace and gets it back or we look to a January loan.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I think the point being made is that there may or may not have been a loan fee, but whatever the deal was, it was originally agreed by Rangers. Rangers then decided to back out of that agreement, rather than a new fee being introduced which pushed them away.

Like you say, net result the same, the deal didn’t get done. Given we’ve got BBD, Cornet and Wee Man, Edozie looks to be in a pretty tricky place. Either he fights for his pace and gets it back or we look to a January loan.

Without doubt Edozie loses out by this. A loan would have been ideal for his development. But no doubt he - and his agent - think he/they know best