Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

No clue, Jacob Steinberg on Twitter saying it’s in doubt. Usually a top source.

I saw a guy on Sky suggest that the deal sheet may not be in before 1am tomorrow which I couldn't understand as they're still talking about Sterling signing for Arsenal which must be well behind our deal for Cornet.

Hadn't read "unlikely". Only that there was uncertainty as to whether the deal sheet was in on time. Can't imagine it wasn't given how early he was down for the medical.

Honestly, if Edozie has to spend 3 months unable to play football in order to get Cornet in then you probably just have to do it... 

...does he like the sound of Göztepe?

• Like 2

SSN 22:05

Southampton submit deal sheet for Cornet

Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:

Southampton have submitted a deal sheet in order to gain extra time to complete their move for West Ham's Maxwel Cornet.

If submitted between 9pm and 11pm, a completed deal sheet provides clubs with an extra two hours to conclude proposed moves.

Southampton have agreed a loan deal to sign Cornet from the Hammers and the versatile left-sided player has undergone a medical.

• Like 3

Just now, CSA96 said:

Honestly, if Edozie has to spend 3 months unable to play football in order to get Cornet in then you probably just have to do it... 

...does he like the sound of Göztepe?

All the nice normal championship clubs he could have chosen for a loan and he chooses the basket case Scottish club an hour or so before the end of the window. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

2 mins!

A bit of a shame we've not moved a number on. Still markets open, but a very large squad, players who aren't going to get minutes.

Broja to Ipswich unlikely

Turkish and Belgium windows still open so some players may still go

• Like 1

Just now, 6ft8saint said:

We have till 1am as form submitted 

Not sure why doubts have been raised then. We must be further along the process than Arsenal's deal for Sterling surely. What's the problem?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Theory: Edozie/Kamaldeen staying means we don't have the senior squad spot to give over to Cornet?

When I looked earlier our squad size seemed to be legal even with Edozie & Sulemana included

2 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

With thanks to @Midfield_General under 21 (pre 1/1/2003 DOB) in italics 

GK: Ramsdale, Macca, Lumley

LB: KWP, Taylor, Larios, Manning

RB: Sugawara, Bree

CB: THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Edwards, Wood, ABK

MF: Fernandes, Dibling, Lallana, Downes, Smallbone, Lesley, Aribo

FWD: Archer, BBD, Cornet, Fraser, Armstrong, SAA, Edozie, Stewart, Sulemana, Onuachu

I make that 25 senior players including the incoming Fraser & Cornet. 7 under 21 players. 25 is the max for senior players.

Squad size = 32. Quite large but PL legal without needing an official bomb squad. 

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not sure why doubts have been raised then. We must be further along the process than Arsenal's deal for Sterling surely. What's the problem?

Probably wanted to move Edozie out on loan as a finishing school as he’s not been the same since Jack Stacey crunched him and ropey/rusty displays so far this term. Silly boy, several promotion-chasing Champ clubs and gets entangled in the mess of Rangers. I think Cornet will still go through, and Samuel gets options for loan in Belgium or Goztepe. He needs to be playing every week more or less somewhere to get that end product consistently, not PL level yet. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Theory: Edozie/Kamaldeen staying means we don't have the senior squad spot to give over to Cornet?

We could just leave someone out. Edozie wouldn't count anyway cos of his age.

Also can't loans still take place to championship clubs?

Edited by Saint_clark

First thing to say is one of the best bits of the window is the fact that kwp is still here until at least January. You never know if we look like staying up at that point he might even think about signing a new contract. 

Ramsdale absolutely superb buy and to be honest the defence looks pretty decent. We've strengthened it no doubt. 

A few doubts remain for me with midfield. Fernandes looks a talent but we are asking an awful lot of him to be good enough in that position to keep us up. Aribo for me isn't going to do that as much as I quite like him. 

Attack is where I feel we are lightest and have the least quality. Archer is a good signibg but has come off the back of a poor season so it remains to be seen how effective he will be in the league. BBD might be a player I end up hating as seems rather limited and a bit of a flat track bully and then obviously we have Adam Armstrong who I would love to do well but the jury is way out on him. 

Assuming Cornet comes in successfully then bar a striker I think we've done as well as we could have expected to. It might not be enough still but we've got a chance to survive which was a bit more than I thought we would have a few weeks ago. I'm going to go with 7 for the window which would have probably been an 8 or 9 had we got that elusive striker to really give us the best chance. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We could just leave someone out. 

Also can't loans still take place to championship clubs?

Championship window was also closed today.

Other leagues around the world are not closed today. Turkey for example to shift Onuachu or Sulemana. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

Anyone want to try and rate it?

Ramsdale signing absolutely massive. KWP staying is unexpected and a lot of decent signings outside of that with nothing too groundbreaking.

Made a couple of good sales, should hopefully still shift Onuachu but I’m sure we’d have liked ABK/Sulemana out the door as well.

Still definitely missing a star attacker, but I think we’ve gone from dead certs for relegation to having a chance in my mind. 7.5/10

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Championship window was also closed today.

Other leagues around the world are not closed today. Turkey for example to shift Onuachu or Sulemana. 

He could go on loan to Goztepe then if we wanted him to get game time.