Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, Hopper said:

I'm probably also in the minority not sweating the need to see a 'proper No. 9' through the door. Nor am I worried about 'Where the goals are going to come from'.

The way we play (Mostly with a false 9) is conducive the the whole team chipping in with goals particuarly from Wider positions. Which is what we saw bear out last season.

If we were playing Jones ball then I'd be sweating it a lot more.

Archer looks a sharp finisher and solid false 9 option. We've also got a fair bit of quality wider with BBD, Arma, SAA and support from Dibbling. You then add in goals from Midfield. Smallbone did well last season and Matt Fernandes looks an upgrade there.

Just not as wide apart as they were playing last week, with no one through the middle. It was very strange to see two forwards that far apart without someone through the middle. 

1 minute ago, Hawkswood said:

Yeah for me it is. We've just signed - in my opinion - England's number 1 goalkeeper. Its an absolute steal.

He's never been England's number 1 goalkeeper, whatever your opinion of his ability.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

He's never been England's number 1 goalkeeper, whatever your opinion of his ability.

But hopefully he will be pretty close after this season? We can hope for this 🙏 

1 minute ago, Dr Who? said:

Just not as wide apart as they were playing last week, with no one through the middle. It was very strange to see two forwards that far apart without someone through the middle. 

Mate, late week was a complete mystery. Not sure what he was trying to do AT ALL 😂

3 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Yeah for me it is. We've just signed - in my opinion - England's number 1 goalkeeper. Its an absolute steal.

It’s hard for me to get too excited about when it seems we’re not addressing the glaring hole at the other end of the pitch.

Just now, Hopper said:

Mate, late week was a complete mystery. Not sure what he was trying to do AT ALL 😂

I don’t think we will see it again. 2 wide men hugging each touchline. It was baffling! 

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It’s hard for me to get too excited about when it seems we’re not addressing the glaring hole at the other end of the pitch.

Archer, BBD. There was only a hole last week because he didn't fill it with a player. 

David Ornstein says Raheem Sterling to Arsenal is on. Would give Arteta the options of Saka, Sterling, Martinelli, Trossard out wide :uhoh:

Edited by CSA96

Looking at a lot of the Premier League teams and the signings they’ve made, none of the top ten I would say have done anything significant.

Man United and Chelsea have bought pretty average. Arsenal have moved people on but I wouldn’t say their squad is any better, if anything it’s probably lacking some depth now. Villa and Newcastle confined to selling kids for FFP gain.

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

David Ornstein says Raheem Sterling to Arsenal is on. Would give Arteta the options of Saka, Sterling, Martinelli, Trossard out wide :uhoh:

Yeah odds on for this. 

2 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

They’re going to struggle to grasp his accent at Goztepe….

Ha!! 

The B team can't fill the bench so I think he'll run around with them. 

6 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

They’re going to struggle to grasp his accent at Goztepe….

Said we should look at this player during our relegation season. Very good signing for the future if we get hold of him. 

Edited by Dr Who?

17 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If Fraser is on a free, am I right in saying he doesn’t need to be signed before the deadline? Or does she need to be signed tonight to be able to register him?

That's my thoughts, he'd be a free agent so could sign any time. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

So the aim is to repeat Sheffield united’s relegation trick then

Fuck me you're a bundle of giggles. 

Archer is decent. BBD is decent. I couldn't give a monkeys how they performed in a  poor Sheffield United. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Saints have spent the same as Liverpool, Man City and Everton combined. 

Yeah we needed too, as Liverpool and Man City are pretty good. Everton on the other hand are screwed! 

• Like 1

We have definitely improved our 'asset base' so whatever happens this season we have a decent pool of young players with clear markets as they develop - noticeably British core which is easier to sell on as required.

With PSR being good at selling is massive and as Brighton have shown, it helps you spend bigger.

All of a sudden we have four or five players who are potentially worth big cash if they have a good season and that can only be a good thing.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

With thanks to @Midfield_General under 21 (pre 1/1/2003 DOB) in italics 

GK: Ramsdale, Macca, Lumley

LB: KWP, Taylor, Larios, Manning

RB: Sugawara, Bree

CB: THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Edwards, Wood, ABK

MF: Fernandes, Dibling, Lallana, Downes, Smallbone, Lesley, Aribo

FWD: Archer, BBD, Cornet, Fraser, Armstrong, SAA, Edozie, Stewart, Sulemana, Onuachu

I make that 25 senior players including the incoming Fraser & Cornet. 7 under 21 players. 25 is the max for senior players.

Squad size = 32. Quite large but PL legal without needing an official bomb squad. 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
corrected by @Saint NL & Derry
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Yeah we needed too, as Liverpool and Man City are pretty good. Everton on the other hand are screwed! 

Exactly. The value of our squad was miniscule by comparison to them. We had to spend that to stand any sort of chance. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

At least we have someone who can keep the ball out of that glaring hole at our end of the pitch! That's more than we've had for f'kin' years.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I don’t think we will see it again. 2 wide men hugging each touchline. It was baffling! 

Weird thing to say. We set up with 3 at the back and wing backs. Never in my life have I seen wing backs with the 2 forwards also playing wide. It was a ridiculous tactic which resulted in what it should have. Fuck all chance of scoring a goal. It wasn't 5-3-2 it was 5-5-0 or maybe 5-1-4. Either way it was bizarre and there's a reason no manager has ever set a team up like that

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He is better but not playing hasn't helped. I hope he's great for us and we are good for his chances

5 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

FWD: Archer, BBD, Cornet, Fraser, Armstrong, SAA, Edozie, Stewart, Sulemana, Onuachu

Incoming: Fraser, Cornet

I make that 24 senior players including the incoming Fraser & Cornet. 10 under 21 players. 

Squad size = 34. Quite large but PL legal without needing an official bomb squad

Take two away, you've counted Cornet and Fraser twice. So "only" 22 senior players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevdoh said:

Weird thing to say. We set up with 3 at the back and wing backs. Never in my life have I seen wing backs with the 2 forwards also playing wide. It was a ridiculous tactic which resulted in what it should have. Fuck all chance of scoring a goal. It wasn't 5-3-2 it was 5-5-0 or maybe 5-1-4. Either way it was bizarre and there's a reason no manager has ever set a team up like that

It is all new to RM, and he has balls to try some things that’s for sure, but did no one say, but Russ we do not have anyone in a position to shoot at goal. I like RM and think he deserves a chance for the whole of this season no matter what, but I do pull out what hair I have left at times. 

12 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I make that 24 senior players including the incoming Fraser & Cornet. 10 under 21 players. 

Squad size = 34. Quite large but PL legal without needing an official bomb squad

it's born AFTER 01/01/2003 not before so THB Wood and Archer aren't exempt. but the other 7 are. Plus Bazunu makes 25

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bakovnetski said:

At least we have someone who can keep the ball out of that glaring hole at our end of the pitch! That's more than we've had for f'kin' years.

I would be nice if we didn’t have to settle for either a competent keeper or a competent centre forward. 

Just now, derry said:

it's born AFTER 01/01/2003 not before so THB Wood and Archer aren't exempt. but the other 7 are.

So I think we're back to 24 with the double counting. Plus the youngsters, that's a lot of players to train and keep motivated. 

7 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Thank you for rescuing my absolute shambles of a post 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

That's my thoughts, he'd be a free agent so could sign any time. 

So if I recall correctly, you can sign a free agent as long as they're a free agent before the deadline. So basically, as long as Fraser is released by Newcastle by 10:59pm we are good to sign him whenever. 

25 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:
27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

So, thi season could see three England keepers relegated - Pickford, Ramsdale and Johnstone. (Oh, I forgot McCarthy!)

6 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

My guess was that Aribo, Downes or Smallbone were supposed to get forward to become the false 9 but it just didn’t work. It might work better with Fernandes but personally I’d rather see us drop Stephens and bring in Archer, especially against teams like Forest or Brentford.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I would be nice if we didn’t have to settle for either a competent keeper or a competent centre forward. 

I think the plan will be to hope we can do something with the options we have. Archer 🏹 gave me alot more confidence after Wednesday. And if not working buy someone in January 

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

My guess was that Aribo, Downes or Smallbone were supposed to get forward to become the false 9 but it just didn’t work. It might work better with Fernandes but personally I’d rather see us drop Stephens and bring in Archer, especially against teams like Forest or Brentford.

Drop Capt. Jack? Wash your mouth out !! 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Worth Noting that the Turkish and Belgian transfer windows don’t close tonight, 2 weeks for Turkey and a week for Belgium so we could still see the likes of Tall Paul and ABK leave even if they’re still here at 11:01 tonight 

4 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I think the plan will be to hope we can do something with the options we have. Archer 🏹 gave me alot more confidence after Wednesday. And if not working buy someone in January 

We should all have a recent clear recollection of what a terrible and expensive an idea it is to try and correct summer transfer failings in January.

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

It is all new to RM, and he has balls to try some things that’s for sure, but did no one say, but Russ we do not have anyone in a position to shoot at goal. I like RM and think he deserves a chance for the whole of this season no matter what, but I do pull out what hair I have left at times. 

There's having balls to try something and there's just stupidity. I bet forest defenders last week had the easiest game of their careers at any level they've ever played. It was ridiculous how we were set up. I know it was Cardiff and not even their first side midweek but the youngsters played with intent to create something and then heard Russ saying he wasn't happy because we played too safe at times😂 I'm not a hater of Russell Martin (yet) but if he keeps playing smallbone and aribo and leaving dibling out it will soon change. Archer showed he's a good finisher but without anyone feeding him and playing through balls he will be useless

Just now, Saint NL said:

Napoli will line up this season with a midfield of Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominey. 

With Che Adams at Torino, the Scottish invasion continues.

what a come down from the team that dominated Serie A two years ago.