Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

13 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looking very unlikely we will be signing a striker then given there are no links what so ever. Shame as that would've made it a very very good window indeed. 

So we are all a bit worried that we don't have a big striker to hold the ball up. What if Russ has done some 4D chess thinking:

Likely midfield will end up Downes, Fernandes, Big Les , with Smallbone to offer fresh legs & Dibling to offer cutting edge as subs. 

We are all forgetting that Joe Aribo is great at holding off challenges, and he scored playing centre forward for Rangers in the Europa League Final.

Joe can be our new Che, with the added bonus that we keep getting to sing his song regularly. 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

Genuine question. Do people not consider Archer a 9? He looks like one to me...

Agree he can play up front through the middle as long as he receives the kind of service he received against Cardiff (and I get it was at a lower level than the Premier League). However, I think many of us would still like to see a bigger, more imposing number 9 as an alternative. Don't think it's likely to happen now.

Just now, saintant said:

Agree he can play up front through the middle as long as he receives the kind of service he received against Cardiff (and I get it was at a lower level than the Premier League). However, I think many of us would still like to see a bigger, more imposing number 9 as an alternative. Don't think it's likely to happen now.

But Why? I'm not trying to be obtuse here. But look at say Liverpool with Suarez or City with Aguero. Incredible teams and players and neither of them big or imposing.

I'm not sure why we've got it in our heads that the only way to play is with a big lad up top.

• Like 2

Just now, saintant said:

I suppose the club are thinking Ross Stewart can fill that role. He is back in full training but as we know he's been injured forever! 

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looking very unlikely we will be signing a striker then given there are no links what so ever. Shame as that would've made it a very very good window indeed. 

Instead it’s rather poor window, like signing bazanu and thinking we’ve the goalkeeper position sown up in our relegation season.

• Confused 6

16 minutes ago, northam soul said:

With Cornet I make it 30 players in the squad.

Really do need to see some outs as that is far too many.

There will be a lot of unhappy players every week.

Edited by Midfield_General
Scratch that, I'm pissed
  • Like 1

Fernandez, Ugochukwu, SAA, Dibling, Edozie, Edwards Larios, Robinson, Maybe THB, Wood both in England U21 team, all probably exempt from squad list 25. There may be others exempt.

Edited by derry
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

If Cornet and Fraser both come then I would say the squad is:

GK: Ramsdale, Macca, Lumley

LB: KWP, Taylor

RB: Sugawara, Bree

CB: THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Edwards

MF: Fernandes, Dibling, Lallana, Downes, Smallbone, Lesley, Aribo

FWD: Archer, BBD, Cornet, Fraser, Armstrong, SAA

That's 24. Then who's the last one? Stewart or Edozie? 

Bomb squad: Sulemana, Onuachu, ABK, Manning, Larios, Wood and either Stewart or Edozie

Isn't there a registered age limit that you are overlooking?

A Premier League club can name 25 players in a squad for the season. This often works out at 'two full starting 11s' and three extra players, providing sufficient depth for teams to compete strongly in the competition. This is made easier because under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2024/25 campaign, under-21 players have to be born on or after the 1st January 2003.

Edozie 28/1/2003,

Fernandes 10/7/2004

Larios 12/1/2004

Dibling 17/2/2006

Sam Amo 18/7/2006

Lesley 26/3/2004

Edwards 28/3/2003

multiple edits for accuracy
  • Like 2

But Why? I'm not trying to be obtuse here. But look at say Liverpool with Suarez or City with Aguero. Incredible teams and players and neither of them big or imposing.

I'm not sure why we've got it in our heads that the only way to play is with a big lad up top.

Liverpool also have the services of Gakpo and Nunez both over 6' tall to call on. We need someone like that though obviously we'd have to settle for the cheaper version.

Just now, saintant said:

Liverpool also have the services of Gakpo and Nunez both over 6' tall to call on. We need someone like that though obviously we'd have to settle for the cheaper version.

I'm talking about teams of seasons past. Both title winning squads. (Liverpool had firmino/salah/mane the year they won) Neither with big strong forwards in the starting lineup.

28 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Genuine question. Do people not consider Archer a 9? He looks like one to me...

I don’t, but my thinking may be outdated. I see I number 9 as a powerful centre forward, winning headers, knock downs, back to goal hold up play, bringing others into play, causing havoc for centre halves. Pelle, Kane, Haaland , Shearer, Chris Wood  Fulcrug and as random examples. Ideally we’d have signed such a player imo. 

Edited by Toussaint
Faux pas
  • Like 3

I'm talking about teams of seasons past. Both title winning squads. (Liverpool had firmino/salah/mane the year they won) Neither with big strong forwards in the starting lineup.

Firmino is just shy of 6' but I take your point. I guess the issue for me is that we don't have anything remotely close to the level of those three or the players who were supplying them. I just think we need another option if the smaller guys up front are not scoring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t, but my thinking may be outdated. I see I number 9 as a powerful centre forward, winning headers, knock downs, back to goal hold up play, bringing others into play, causing havoc for centre halves. Pele, Kane, Haaland , Shearer, Chris Wood  Fulcrug and as random examples. Ideally we’d have signed such a player imo. 

Fair shout, and I understand that line of thinking. It's the traditional No.9. I guess the point I was making is that when you look at City, Liverpool etc. there have been some really successful teams that have had smaller more technical forwards.

Just thinking aloud about the way we are set up to play. I think we should consider the team more in that mold than the traditional big guy up top. When you consider this we've got a really solid team to suit that style of play.

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I am of the camp that if NC didnt want to buy the player he would not have done so. Dont forget that he would be doing the negotiations re wages etc etc and could easily stumer the purchase. So I believe the NC was not against it

Back in the day , I saw a Sky interview with Alan Pardew and inevitably it was full of questions about AP's time with Saints, and Cortese's negative 

attitude to the signing of Rickie .   Pardew said .. Cortese asked me .." do you really want to buy a 27 year old centre forward for.... .a million pounds?" 

Pardew had to convince him as he had been following RL's progress for several years (from non-league to L1) whilst no other manager had dared to bid for him.

After eventually signing him, Pardew told RL that he had to get properly fit, drop a stone in training and lay off the beer and pies.!    The outcome is Saints history.

Whilst you are correct (Old Nick) ...that Cortese did hold the purse strings and control everything, his judgment of players and deals was atrocious..

Amongst other bad decisions, his two big signings of Ramirez and Osvaldo were both made on borrowed money at high interest % rates, and  both

ended in tears as the fees and high salaries both on long contracts eventually cost the club  the better part of ..50 million, whilst Nigel Adkins

cobbled together a squad to win two promotions for a  total cost of around...  6 million.   (at 2012 prices)

Football nous outweighs an idiot and his money every time, as we have seen in the past decade with some of the "so-called rich " Prem. clubs.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Firmino is just shy of 6' but I take your point. I guess the issue for me is that we don't have anything remotely close to the level of those three or the players who were supplying them. I just think we need another option if the smaller guys up front are not scoring.

Obviously agree on the levels here haha.

Interestingly I was curious to see and Cam Archer and Bobby are the same height. 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Sky Sports saying four unnamed clubs are interested in Reiss Nelson from Arsenal.... Don't think it's Saints but he might fit the profile?

With Cornet and Ugochukwu we can't loan anyone else from a PL club. Plus Nelson is another winger, we are about to sign two wingers tonight.

4 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Fair shout, and I understand that line of thinking. It's the traditional No.9. I guess the point I was making is that when you look at City, Liverpool etc. there have been some really successful teams that have had smaller more technical forwards.

Just thinking aloud about the way we are set up to play. I think we should consider the team more in that mold than the traditional big guy up top. When you consider this we've got a really solid team to suit that style of play.

Problem with this argument as far as I can see is that the examples given have world class technical players. Not sure our lot are good enough to be honest

• Like 2

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Problem with this argument as far as I can see is that the examples given have world class technical players. Not sure our lot are good enough to be honest

To counter that though there are levels of all types of players including big men (Haarlands don't grow on trees). I'm just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

With Cornet and Ugochukwu we can't loan anyone else from a PL club. Plus Nelson is another winger, we are about to sign two wingers tonight.

two? is Fraser signing. this thread moves so fast i missed that.

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Sky just said Ryan Fraser and Newcastle have now agreed a mutual termination. Free agent and just needs to sort formalities before signing as a Saints player

I think killing each other is a bit drastic 

• Haha 11

As fans, I think we need to appreciate how much Dragan Solak is investing into Saints. We wouldn’t be able to buy some of these players without his money. Markus undoubtably saved us from oblivion but Dragan has invested lots and we seem to take it for granted.  

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t, but my thinking may be outdated. I see I number 9 as a powerful centre forward, winning headers, knock downs, back to goal hold up play, bringing others into play, causing havoc for centre halves. Pelle, Kane, Haaland , Shearer, Chris Wood  Fulcrug and as random examples. Ideally we’d have signed such a player imo. 

I'm going to repost this before it leaves the active page. Joe is 6'0"

31 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So we are all a bit worried that we don't have a big striker to hold the ball up. What if Russ has done some 4D chess thinking:

Likely midfield will end up Downes, Fernandes, Big Les , with Smallbone to offer fresh legs & Dibling to offer cutting edge as subs. 

We are all forgetting that Joe Aribo is great at holding off challenges, and he scored playing centre forward for Rangers in the Europa League Final.

Joe can be our new Che, with the added bonus that we keep getting to sing his song regularly. 

Ron Davies the most dominant header I've ever seen because of his extraordinary timing and leap was only 6' 0". I've seen photos if him winning headers his feet hip high by defenders.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Is the club’s aim to score a record low number of goals and beat the record held by derby.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Is the club’s aim to score a record low number of goals and beat the record held by derby.

No because he holds the ball up for BBD, Archer, Arma & Fernandes/Dibling/Cornet to finish

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Fraser on a free is a terrific signing. Don't think he'll be one of our best players but he's a solid performer and knows the squad. 

Edozie needs a loan though. 

Is he not off to Sheffield Utd once someone has given him a stern talking to?

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

That’s a pathetic strategy. Aribo is barely good enough to play in midfield at this level let alone up front.

Absolutely, there’s a bit of straw clutching going on here !

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

That’s a pathetic strategy. Aribo is barely good enough to play in midfield at this level let alone up front.

I'm not saying it's Plan A, or even Plan B. I'm saying it might work occasionally when we are under pressure, defending a 0-1 lead away: Ramsdale does one of those hammered horizontal long balls into Aribo and he wrestles the defenders until he can lay it off to a runner.

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Is he not off to Sheffield Utd once someone has given him a stern talking to?

Apparently there's a few clubs interested and not a guarantee he goes to Sheff Utd (according to Alfie House), but Saints not signing anything off until Cornet/Fraser in

• Like 1

If Fraser is on a free, am I right in saying he doesn’t need to be signed before the deadline? Or does she need to be signed tonight to be able to register him?

• Like 1