Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Would be criminally negligent if were left with no central strikers other than unproven archer and the invisible man Stewart.

If that's so I presume the Manager and owners will be hauled to Southampton Crown Court to face charges - or maybe the Old Bailey - I don't personally know the severity of this type of criminal negligence. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

I guess we're going to end up around here then. I think most peoples ideal set-up on the left and how we've started the season on the right.

Can't see him dropping Smallbone or Armstrong for what it's worth, but I think Ugochukwu/Fernandes should/will break in sooner rather than later. It's still a striker light for me but I guess we're banking on Archer's progression, with Arma as a back-up if needs be.

Assumes the departures of ABK, Manning, Sulemana, Edozie and Onuachu who don't really seem to have a spot in the squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I asked a Burnley fan what he thought of Maxwell, apparently he is different gravy

I asked my Hammer work colleague - Said he's a great talent but completely lazy. 

• Haha 1

We should definitely give Cornet the number 99. 
To be fair, I think this has been a good window. Adding experience of the Prem throughout. Nice work Saints. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Actually seems like it's going to be a busy deadline day for once. Sky can't resist over exaggerating things though. 

"Some Newcastle news coming through...if this happens it would be SENSATIONAL...they're in talks to sign.......Nottingham forest winger Anthony Elanga"

Sensational huh.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, DT said:

We should definitely give Cornet the number 99. 
To be fair, I think this has been a good window. Adding experience of the Prem throughout. Nice work Saints. 

That’s sounding like a DT seal of approval 

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Haha 1

I'm probably also in the minority not sweating the need to see a 'proper No. 9' through the door. Nor am I worried about 'Where the goals are going to come from'.

The way we play (Mostly with a false 9) is conducive the the whole team chipping in with goals particuarly from Wider positions. Which is what we saw bear out last season.

If we were playing Jones ball then I'd be sweating it a lot more.

Archer looks a sharp finisher and solid false 9 option. We've also got a fair bit of quality wider with BBD, Arma, SAA and support from Dibbling. You then add in goals from Midfield. Smallbone did well last season and Matt Fernandes looks an upgrade there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Are all the people crying out for a striker doing so because they've already concluded Archer is not up to scratch? Y'know, despite his brace in his first start (which, obviously, I concede was against lower league opposition)?

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'd be happy to see us sign another striker, especially a proven Premier League one. But I'm not anxious about it and will be calm if we don't get anyone.

He looked very sharp at Cardiff. Similarly in the Villa pre season games. That gives me great hope.

What I saw of him at Sheffield United, he simply didn't get many chances to score. He would get into the right areas (or they looked like them to me), but he was never found.  He scored goals at Boro, so we know he isn't completely shite. Whether he has that top talent, electric pace and sharpness that gets him Prem goals, is to be seen. It's hard to say. Will we create any more than United did?

What he isn't is a target man and that's what Che offered us last season...and we looked poor when we didn't have it. I think that is a concern. We didn't sign a powerful, fast, skillful target man that can play with his back to goal and threaten when facing it. The number 9 holy grail, so to speak.    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

I guess we're going to end up around here then. I think most peoples ideal set-up on the left and how we've started the season on the right.

Can't see him dropping Smallbone or Armstrong for what it's worth, but I think Ugochukwu/Fernandes should/will break in sooner rather than later. It's still a striker light for me but I guess we're banking on Archer's progression, with Arma as a back-up if needs be.

Assumes the departures of ABK, Manning, Sulemana, Edozie and Onuachu who don't really seem to have a spot in the squad.

Why have you, in both example formations placed forwards in the penalty area (indeed in your second formation there are TWO! )

This is quite clearly discussed and trained relentlessly in practice. No standing in the penalty area. It’s like five a sides no stepping in the penalty area. How on earth can saints be expected to break the World Record for most passes without a shot on target if you put someone in the penalty area - clearly we will be overrun in midfield and there’s no chance of beating that “ most passes without a shot on target” Guinness Book of Records metric (MPWASOT for those in the biz). 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Someone on Twitter is saying, "ubiquitous midget potato llama." Can anyone confirm this?

Probably a CoT member. Anyone know an Small Peruvian Irishman who can play many positions?

Edited by OttawaSaint

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

He looked very sharp at Cardiff. Similarly in the Villa pre season games. That gives me great hope.

What I saw of him at Sheffield United, he simply didn't get many chances to score. He would get into the right areas (or they looked like them to me), but he was never found.  He scored goals at Boro, so we know he isn't completely shite. Whether he has that top talent, electric pace and sharpness that gets him Prem goals, is to be seen. It's hard to say. Will we create any more than United did?

What he isn't is a target man and that's what Che offered us last season...and we looked poor when we didn't have it. I think that is a concern. We didn't sign a powerful, fast, skillful target man that can play with his back to goal and threaten when facing it. The number 9 holy grail, so to speak.    

No 9 holy grail types are in short supply Chez. Especially for the money we would have.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Actually seems like it's going to be a busy deadline day for once. Sky can't resist over exaggerating things though. 

"Some Newcastle news coming through...if this happens it would be SENSATIONAL...they're in talks to sign.......Nottingham forest winger Anthony Elanga"

Sensational huh.

How do Newcastle have that much money but are still buying players of this quality? Surely they can do better 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm hearing news of Sharpe from Cardiff, Similarly from Villa and a player called Him at Sheff Utd!

Anyone shed any light on these 3?

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

How do Newcastle have that much money but are still buying players of this quality? Surely they can do better 

Nobody wants to live in Newcastle 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Nature of FFP means they need to speculate on lesser talent they can flip for profit. Will be more and more of these deals I think unless rules change.

I’ve said it before- these professionals should get themselves certified medically a week ahead of deadline day by an approved reputable FA listed medical authority. Certificate in hand it speeds things up, easy to insert a nul and void if he’s broken his legs in the last week or contracted Bubonic Plague that nobody knew about clause as well. 

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Someone on Twitter is saying, "ubiquitous midget potato llama." Can anyone confirm this?

12 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Who said that?

That's my account. I definitely said that.🙂

Part of my Llamas returning to their first midfield home series.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

If we can't get another attacker I'd genuinely try and keep tall paul. Surely would be good to give us something different? 

I'd prefer he left.

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I’ve said it before- these professionals should get themselves certified medically a week ahead of deadline day by an approved reputable FA listed medical authority. Certificate in hand it speeds things up, easy to insert a nul and void if he’s broken his legs in the last week or contracted Bubonic Plague that nobody knew about clause as well. 

Can you imagine the insurance policy they would have to carry?!! Are you f**king kidding me!

I don’t think we are going to win the league. Based on this Transfer window. BUT we might win most passes without a goal/ shot on target. And in my opinion these categories of achievement have been chronically undervalued. When you look at who they vote for Premier League Manager of the Year I bet you they don’t look at crucial data like that- wether or not we get Cornet or Wee Man back in the team. 

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Can you imagine the insurance policy they would have to carry?!! Are you f**king kidding me!

Yiu are right. Getting insurance against Bubonic plague costs an arm and a leg. 😇

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Still hoping for Banza

I starting to think that might not happen. I can only make recommendations to SFC, they don't have to listen to them. 😉 At 28, he's probably too old for us to be making a serious investment/gamble.  

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Could be a bit awkward though.

Player: Am I in your plans?
Boss: Sure you are. A key part. Now, just nip in to see the medical team on your way to training.

Or the boss getting the whole squad medicals (and cost), doesn't inspire much faith.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

If we can't get another attacker I'd genuinely try and keep tall paul. Surely would be good to give us something different? 

Not my preference but certainly massively better option than relying on the pitiful central striker options we currently have. 

• Like 1