Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

Same, I thought he was nailed on to play up top, maybe with the new signings that have come in and the squad settling down that’s where he’ll end up, him or Archer.

Blackburn fans suggested he was better playing from the left than centrally

Are all the people crying out for a striker doing so because they've already concluded Archer is not up to scratch? Y'know, despite his brace in his first start (which, obviously, I concede was against lower league opposition)?

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'd be happy to see us sign another striker, especially a proven Premier League one. But I'm not anxious about it and will be calm if we don't get anyone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Same, I thought he was nailed on to play up top, maybe with the new signings that have come in and the squad settling down that’s where he’ll end up, him or Archer.

He has always typically scored his goals coming inside from the left.

1 minute ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Are all the people crying out for a striker doing so because they've already concluded Archer is not up to scratch? Y'know, despite his brace in his first start (which, obviously, I concede was against lower league opposition)?

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'd be happy to see us sign another striker, especially a proven Premier League one. But I'm not anxious about it and will be calm if we don't get anyone.

archer didn’t really set the world on fire the blades

we need a proper no 9 who can hold the ball up and finish and that’s been the case for a couple of years now 

think the team looks ok in most departments but we still have a championship looking attack 

• Like 1

Just watching the Ramsdale interview on SSN, it seems that the Play off final was a huge factor in him joining.

So, Brooks didn't deliver a huge amount on the pitch, but his off the field work was top notch 👍

• Like 10

ATM our CF option is Archer or Archer or Archer. At a push it’s Archer. With AA on the right and BBD on the left. And that one not Archer who is injured. And the very Tall one not allowed to play because…of a reason ( it’s cos he is too tall). 

Sometimes either of those two players can pretend they are the CF too - until RM scowls at them and tells them to leave those CB’s alone and stop bumping into Archer. 

Oh, and if our MF can get into the penalty area then it’s one of them is our CF. And they must also remember not to bump into Archer. Or the others in the physio lounge. 

This is a good plan. Except Archer will be mostly on the bench so some of our players gonna be way out of position if they keep bumping into him. 

Also of note is the Helpline number Saints are thoughtfully providing for Centre backs and goalkeepers visiting St Mary’s this season

“ Feeling lonely? Nobody to talk to? The game passing you by and you are not getting a touch?”
 Phone 0208 338 dial-friend- and one of our trained volunteers will, in a non judgemental way, talk you through why it’s ok not to see the ball or required to run or do a save in a match at St Mary’s if you are the opposition centre back or goalkeeper. It’s them NOT you that’s the issue. So don’t put yourself down.

Registered charity number SR2024. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Galway saint said:

archer didn’t really set the world on fire the blades

we need a proper no 9 who can hold the ball up and finish and that’s been the case for a couple of years now 

think the team looks ok in most departments but we still have a championship looking attack 

Can't disagree about not being successful at Sheff U and agree that I would prefer a big physical centre forward who can hold the ball up to complement Archer. However, Villa fans will tell you that Archer is a very natural finisher and the Cardiff game demonstrated that he has that ability. Of course, can he do better than last year in the Premier league ? 

• Like 1

Archer will score goals if presented with the right service - his two finishes against Cardiff were top drawer and very clinical. Having said that I'd still like us to have the option of a taller more powerful centre forward in the squad although it's looking unlikely now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Archer will score goals if presented with the right service - his two finishes against Cardiff were top drawer and very clinical. Having said that I'd still like us to have the option of a taller more powerful centre forward in the squad although it's looking unlikely now.

We've already got one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah, we just need our attacking players in and around the box, with some support. Nothing like we did against Forest where they clearly had orders to hug the touchlines 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack said:

Yeah, we just need our attacking players in and around the box, with some support. Nothing like we did against Forest where they clearly had orders to hug the touchlines 

Exactly this - I think Archer will find pockets of space for the type of pass that Fernandez found him with and equally, if the likes of Tyler or others make surging runs, Archer will get in the channels to open up chances

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

a real headline signing?........ but surely Rickie Lambert came into that category and pretty good value for just ...  1 million

mind you ....only Alan Pardew knew that at the time, and Nicola Cortese thought it was a waste of money .......... 

I am of the camp that if NC didnt want to buy the player he would not have done so. Dont forget that he would be doing the negotiations re wages etc etc and could easily stumer the purchase. So I believe the NC was not against it

Thought Archer looked like a proper centre forward the other night.

Needs to show it in the league now.  Personally, I don’t think we’re going to sign another striker.

Also surprised we seem to be signing Fraser and Cornet.  I may be wrong, but do they play in the same position?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

I wonder whether that was a recommendation from our chief scout in LA (Maya Yoshida).  If so, well done him.  And, seeing how Saga turned out, it bodes well for us.

Apparently our new U21 manager (Simon Rusk) was his England U19 head coach, so guessing that's where it came from

• Like 3

Everything seems very, very quiet on ABK, Sulemana and Onuachu.

Can see Onuachu going later on as the Turkish window stays open for another two weeks, but thought we might have had at least a sniff of a loan for one of the others by now. 

Upside is that KWP is still here and with six hours to go there haven't been any rumours (yet). Would be such a result if we can keep him, at least until January. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Everything still OK with Cornet? Someone on twitter suggesting he might go elsewhere. 

Who? Because 'someone on twitter' could vary from the extremes of a well connected journalist that might know, to a random fan that is making up bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Who? Because 'someone on twitter' could vary from the extremes of a well connected journalist that might know, to a random fan that is making up bullshit.

Thanks mlg I'm quite aware. Nice of you to clarify it though. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

ATM our CF option is Archer or Archer or Archer. At a push it’s Archer. With AA on the right and BBD on the left. And that one not Archer who is injured. And the very Tall one not allowed to play because…of a reason ( it’s cos he is too tall). 

Sounds like it's Archer the Father, Archer the son, and Archer the holy spirit then.

As for the Tall One, I suspect he's not allowed to play because he's shit. I think we may have lost sight of that. But in fairness he is a different style of shit to the rest, and for that reason worth a go from time to time (in my book).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Fuck me, thanks for letting me know.  Who knew?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Everything still OK with Cornet? Someone on twitter suggesting he might go elsewhere. 

There were reports of Palace trying to hijack the deal but he prefers Saints so fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm a bit concerned too. On the plus side:

BBC of course means almost certainly Adam Blackmore

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I'm a bit concerned too. On the plus side:

BBC of course means almost certainly Adam Blackmore

it'd be a big blow if we were to lose Cornet now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think Cornet's camp would want to fuck us over, tbh. They currently represent Archer, Edozie, Lumley and they'll know that Cornet's signing facilitates getting Edozie out on loan (presumably)

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2