Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Saint86 said:

Ryan Sessegnon just been released by Tottenham - can play LB, LW, LWB... 

He's been absolutely invisible for a year now, has he been injured? He does need a fresh start, not sure I'd be willing to gamble on him though as LB is a position I'd say we need a new starter from day 1.

A player I think we'll go for is Ben Johnson of WHU. Right back, but can play right mid, DM, third CB and LB. Powerful runner with the ball and that sort of handy versatile option you need throughout a season. Available on a freebie.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's been absolutely invisible for a year now, has he been injured? He does need a fresh start, not sure I'd be willing to gamble on him though as LB is a position I'd say we need a new starter from day 1.

A player I think we'll go for is Ben Johnson of WHU. Right back, but can play right mid, DM, third CB and LB. Powerful runner with the ball and that sort of handy versatile option you need throughout a season. Available on a freebie.

Yes, he had a pretty rough 2023 with hamstring troubles and surgery. Not sure if he was rushed back, but recurred again in Jan/Feb. Managed to play 1 game this season just gone for spurs. Was a player with huge potential once upon a time.

image.png.3d2407ffa818a561c046cffc410942b6.png

Edited by Saint86

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yes, he had a pretty rough 2023 with hamstring troubles and surgery. Not sure if he was rushed back, but recurred again in Jan/Feb. Managed to play 1 game this season just gone for spurs. Was a player with huge potential once upon a time.

image.png.3d2407ffa818a561c046cffc410942b6.png

He was one of the players on our mega-list of potential signings back in the January we sold VVD.

Sessegnon, Shaw, Theo, Promes - we were signing them all. Then we ended up with Carillo.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Ryan Sessegnon just been released by Tottenham - can play LB, LW, LWB... 

It's a yes from me as long as he can prove his fitness. Always looked decent in an attacking sense and he's only 24. Is he quite as good defensively? Not sure but if we play 3 CBs at the back with wing backs he'd fit the bill perfectly.

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've been strongly linked with Ben Johnson before - I reckon we still would be. We need to plan ahead in the eventuality that KWP goes on a free next summer. (Or is sold this one).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is an example of the type of player I think we might be looking at:

Wataru Endō. 31. Apparently now unwanted at Liverpool. Holding / tackling terrier like defensive centre midfield type. Formerly captain at Stuttgart and was Japan National team Captain last year. 
Klopp was not a bad judge of player and bought him for €19m. Apparently now worth is down to €13m according to transfermkt. You always get high reliability energy and professionalism from Japanese players ( and shirt sales!) so it may attract as competition to Flynn & Shea who already has EPL experience at a high level. And does not cost much ( though his salary I’m not so sure..- he will probably want a big PayPal contract at his age so it’s 1/10 chance comes to saints- but this is just an idea to show we need think outside the usual range of possibilities  )

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

This is an example of the type of player I think we might be looking at:

Wataru Endō. 31. Apparently now unwanted at Liverpool. Holding / tackling terrier like defensive centre midfield type. Formerly captain at Stuttgart and was Japan National team Captain last year. 
Klopp was not a bad judge of player and bought him for €19m. Apparently now worth is down to €13m according to transfermkt. You always get high reliability energy and professionalism from Japanese players ( and shirt sales!) so it may attract as competition to Flynn & Shea who already has EPL experience at a high level. And does not cost much ( though his salary I’m not so sure..- he will probably want a big PayPal contract at his age so it’s 1/10 chance comes to saints- but this is just an idea to show we need think outside the usual range of possibilities  )

He would be a decent acquisition, I agree, if we can agree a Saints level wage with him.

For me, a decent goalkeeper is one of, if not the main priority. McCarthy I am comfortable with as a back up. We have end this mad Bazunu experiment. Yes, he is good with his feet but as all the stats for the last 2 seasons, in the Prem and in the Championship have shown, he is not good enough as a goalkeeper to do the fundamental thing goalkeepers are meant to do, save goals!

It's akin to a bad investment. If you buy a stock at £10 hoping it will increase to £20 and you can sell it for a profit but after a bad first year it comes down to £7.50. Things look like they will be better in the second year so you keep it but it still performs bad and reduces further to £5 you have to come to a point where you cut your losses. If the third year looks like it will not be a great year, you do not persevere further and risk losing even more. Just get rid

• Like 2

Few released players which could potentially DAJFU:

Thiago Alacantara (Liverpool)

Joel Matip (Liverpool)

Jonny Evans (Manchester United)

Anthony Martial (Manchester United)

Raphael Varane (Manchester United)

Eric Dier (Spurs)

Ivan Perisic (Spurs)

Ryan Sessegnon (Spurs)

Japhet Tanganga (Spurs)

I appreciate some of these won't be everyone's cup of tea but some will offer valuable Premier League experience playing for top clubs. Wage requirements and injury track record could be an issue for some of them I appreciate but there are a few players in there I feel still could do a job

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

For me, a decent goalkeeper is one of, if not the main priority. McCarthy I am comfortable with as a back up. We have end this mad Bazunu experiment. Yes, he is good with his feet but as all the stats for the last 2 seasons, in the Prem and in the Championship have shown, he is not good enough as a goalkeeper to do the fundamental thing goalkeepers are meant to do, save goals!

It's akin to a bad investment. If you buy a stock at £10 hoping it will increase to £20 and you can sell it for a profit but after a bad first year it comes down to £7.50. Things look like they will be better in the second year so you keep it but it still performs bad and reduces further to £5 you have to come to a point where you cut your losses. If the third year looks like it will not be a great year, you do not persevere further and risk losing even more. Just get rid

Quite agree! Weren't we lucky that Baz got injured when he did! McC who I didn't rate highly, never put a foot (or hand) wrong in those vital  matches. I don't reckon he has been given the credit he deserves for those last three games. 

• Like 3

How about Loris Karius  , think he's being released from Newcastle . About 31 I think , not had much game time recently but could be a good price 

6 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Joel Matip (Liverpool)

Eric Dier (Spurs)

Ivan Perisic (Spurs)

Ryan Sessegnon (Spurs)

Japhet Tanganga (Spurs)

I appreciate some of these won't be everyone's cup of tea but some will offer valuable Premier League experience playing for top clubs. Wage requirements and injury track record could be an issue for some of them I appreciate but there are a few players in there I feel still could do a job

Evans is being offered a new deal by Man U. Dier is joining Bayern on a permanent deal, I think.

Somehow, I can't see Matip or Alacantara joining Saints. They are so well known and as a result probably will get a gig at a bigger club than us on the continent. The same with Martia and Varane. Saints just doesn't have the kudos. Perisic is 35, but I suspect is still fit as a fiddle. I suspect we will go with Fraser in that position, but he could do a job for a year. Sessegnon was good when played in a winger role. The injuries have been a problem. Sort of player we might have looked a on loan last season. Would be a gamble. Tanganga has been at Millwall on loan, so if it went well they will try to sign him.

Newcastle releasing Dummett, Matt Riche, Loruis Karius and Jeff Hendrick. Not exactly an inspiring list.

2 minutes ago, Hatchy said:

How about Loris Karius  , think he's being released from Newcastle . About 31 I think , not had much game time recently but could be a good price 

Is he any good though? He had a nightmare at Liverpool. Not seen him since. 
Adrian at Liverpool out of contract. He's 37 though.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Joel Matip (Liverpool)

Eric Dier (Spurs)

Ivan Perisic (Spurs)

Ryan Sessegnon (Spurs)

Japhet Tanganga (Spurs)

Most of those will go for a mega pay-day in Saudi I reckon, their reputations are high enough to earn some interest from those teams.

Tanganga had a decent season at Millwall by all accounts, but my feeling on him is that he's a Championship player and no more than that. I'd rather focus on someone like Ben Johnson rather than Tanganga.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hatchy said:

real madrid liverpool GIF by Televisa Deportes

I'd much rather get Dubravka if they sign a new keeper/consider Pope number 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Adam Lallana & Danny Ings both joining Alresford golf club...make of that what you will.

They don’t have much length of the tee but are fairly straight hitters?

1 hour ago, Hatchy said:

He was third choice at Newcastle for a reason, became a bit of a banter figure for them when everyone else was getting injured. They preferred to use Dubrabva when Pope was out.

Not sure we should be signing 8th placed PL teams third choice keepers tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Admittedly I would prefer either Pope or Dubravka , just not sure either would be available to us or what we have in mind in this window .

Posted (edited)

Brereton Diaz did okay numbers wise for Sheffield United on the face of it, but that really is one uninspiring list.

You'd like to think we've got a decent amount of money to spend this Summer right? £130m spent in 22/23 before making £150m in 23/24, and now the added financial bonus of promotion...

Going to take a lot to even have a good go at it, if we're being honest.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We need a good functioning and disciplined team to play this style, the difference alone between KWP and the other fullbacks shows the difference in quality between premier league v champs.

Putting figures on what will get us to that point is tricky be we all know the positions we feel are non negotiables to be reinforced v's those where we might buy someone if a good deal can be had.

To put that team together i really dont see us signing established premier league players or even those being released from bigger clubs as they will be hunting money.

I expect to see us try the south american market again, look for a few gems worldwide and mould the team early (not burnley early though)

Russ needs to make some decisions on who to move on, who they'd listen to offers for of those who cant be effective in this style (sully, charly etc) or is this a bullshit assumption and will russ change his style in the premier league with a more nuanced approach to possession football given the expectation we wont have it as much?

Edited by Convict Colony

To be honest I expect us to get a few youngster gems from other academies combined with some old heads and maybe a couple of big name signings. I'd be surprised if we got in too many lower league players who on the face of it won't be able to do it well enough at the top level. 

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Adam Lallana & Danny Ings both joining Alresford golf club...make of that what you will.

Exactly why we should not touch either if them with a barge pole. Obviously already more or less retired, their minds are on the wrong things altogether. We want 24/7 footballers commited to our cause.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

We want 24/7 footballers commited to our cause.

That is zero professional footballers for the entire history of humanity.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Are they looking at last seasons Summer list?

Delap kicked on for Hull this season. Only 21 and schooled in possession footy at City. Actually think he’d be a decent signing.

If it’s a choice between him, Broja at £35m, Ings on £100k plus a week or Brereton-Diaz, I’d prefer Delap. Especially if Che signs a new deal.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Delap kicked on for Hull this season. Only 21 and schooled in possession footy at City. Actually think he’d be a decent signing.

If it’s a choice between him, Broja at £35m, Ings on £100k plus a week or Brereton-Diaz, I’d prefer Delap. Especially if Che signs a new deal.

We’re going to need to do a fair bit better than that to stay up. Che is a very limited PL player and Delap scored 8 goals in the Championship. Nobody is going to pay £35m for Broja or £100kpw to Ings, especially not us. I’d say halve both of those numbers and it’d be more realistic.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

We’re going to need to do a fair bit better than that to stay up. Che is a very limited PL player and Delap scored 8 goals in the Championship. Nobody is going to pay £35m for Broja or £100kpw to Ings, especially not us. I’d say halve both of those numbers and it’d be more realistic.

Agree. Delap may be alright as a backup striker if we get in another too attacker. I think how they fit into our system will be rather important. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Exactly why we should not touch either if them with a barge pole. Obviously already more or less retired, their minds are on the wrong things altogether. We want 24/7 footballers commited to our cause.

🤣🤪 at least double figures of our current squad are members of local clubs, 6 of them were at my club last year. Didnt seem to hurt our promotion chances.

Loony.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

To be absolutely fair to him, Karius was later found to have been suffering from a concussion when he made that mistake, after that wanker Ramos elbowed him off the ball. 

No excuse for the first one, mind. That really was a shocker. 

Even though it cost Liverpool the CL in such a comedy style, as a former keeper myself, watching that game was the worst I've ever felt for a player who wasn't ours. It literally felt like watching someone's career being ended in real time. 

• Like 2

Interesting listening to Adam Blackmore earlier talking transfers and what he can and can’t say in his position.

He mentioned Piroe from last summer in that someone connected to the player wanted a large sum of money and then the player would sign so Saints told them to do one and Leeds paid up.

Also that he was told by Nivea boy that he was probably coming back before the play off final but couldn’t say anything then to see it plastered everywhere straight after the final.

He would rather keep relationships than gain clicks which is really important in his position.

The Piroe thing does make you realise though that no matter how hard the club tries they shouldn’t bow down to unscrupulous demands no matter who it is.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Interesting listening to Adam Blackmore earlier talking transfers and what he can and can’t say in his position.

He mentioned Piroe from last summer in that someone connected to the player wanted a large sum of money and then the player would sign so Saints told them to do one and Leeds paid up.

Also that he was told by Nivea boy that he was probably coming back before the play off final but couldn’t say anything then to see it plastered everywhere straight after the final.

He would rather keep relationships than gain clicks which is really important in his position.

The Piroe thing does make you realise though that no matter how hard the club tries they shouldn’t bow down to unscrupulous demands no matter who it is.

Very interesting regarding Piroe, that explains why we went from his preferred destination to him joining Leeds. Also more context as to why we gambled on Stewart, having missed out on our first choice target. 

I wonder what the delay in announcing Lallana is then, sounds like it’s happening.

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Very interesting regarding Piroe, that explains why we went from his preferred destination to him joining Leeds. Also more context as to why we gambled on Stewart, having missed out on our first choice target. 

I wonder what the delay in announcing Lallana is then, sounds like it’s happening.

I'd imagine we'll hear regarding Lallana in July, his Brighton contract doesn't actually expire until the end of this month.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

So Ings in that case would be a loan, why would he half his wages? Broja’s performance post injury is not so encouraging, high risk for us. In the context on gambling a young player coming good, which I’d imagine we will have to do due to our budget, I don’t think Delap is a terrible option. Hopefully we can score more from wide areas with Arma and a new signing, like Jack Clarke. I know Arma didn’t do it last time but he was just shoved on the left to chase shadows and shot from distance all the time. Our new system suits him better.

I think the reality is, we aren’t going to spend £35m plus on a CF, which means we are in the realms of gambling on potential. Perhaps my assumption on this is wrong but we will need to sign a a number of starters. 

Keep Che, loan Ings and sign Delap. Would that be a good balance? 

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, northam soul said:

Is the Blackmore stuff available anywhere?

Not really related, but on transfers:  I listened to a tiny bit of Talksport earlier and had Paul Warne (Derby manager) on and was talking about transfers and the planning of it.  A really good insight into everything and basically the waiting game that goes on.

16 minutes ago, saintant said:

No thanks to Brereton Diaz.  We need better.

I don’t necessarily disagree but 6 goals in 14 PL games for an utterly shit team is a very good haul. Broja got that over a whole season for us and he’s still well thought of in many quarters.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

So Ings in that case would be a loan, why would he half his wages?

He won’t. If West Ham really want rid of him they’ll almost certainly have to subsidise his wages somewhere. You’d have to be mental to offer Ings a £100kpw contract in his current state and I can only think of two clubs who’d do it. Everton, who’re fighting off the financial vultures already, and West Ham, who already own him.

• Like 2

Got lots of time for Adam Blackmore. Good commentator, good liaison and contact to have between the club and the fanbase and isn’t afraid to sit on the fence with his opinions.

Equally isn’t willing to jeopardise his contacts just for cheap clicks and RT’s. 

Many on Twitter act like they’re a club informant nowadays when it comes to transfer dealings. Last summer was hilarious to read, so many ITK’s, all barely going through puberty. 

Stick with Adam Blackmore, Alfie House etc.

• Like 4