Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

Big boy shit.  If only we had taken this approach a couple of years ago when SR first came in.

Maybe McCarthy on the rumoured £90k+ a week prevented that?

Edozie: Presumably due to Cornet coming in?

As we've all pointed out, the end product isn't there yet. But I think he's come on in a lot of other areas. With his 2 sub appearances, I can see why he'd want to build on that, and his game here, rather than drop down.

He should be getting regular games for Utd though ( caveat of ignorance on who they have as competition there), which can hopefully bring us back a player who will be really useful for us next season.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ward-Prowse was also on £100k p/w under Sport Republic.

He was inherited though Matthew. You know what I'm getting at - they messed around signing Man City youngsters when we were desperate for experienced Prem players.

Just now, Viking Saint said:

IYO, is Ramsdale the biggest statement Saints have made since signing Keegan??

It depends on how you view it. I think some of our league 1 signings were massive statements that we were there to be the best, get promoted, then be the best.

Regardless, he's a proper statement signing for where we are now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Without a striker I can't see us surviving. 

We scored more goals than any other team last season (if you include the playoffs) I don’t think we’re as impotent as you might think. The keeper situation was far more pressing and I’m glad it’s been resolved as that was statistically the worst in the league. With a good keeper we would have walked the league last year. 

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Are we worried Palace would try to sign Bednarek?

Surely with that wedge on their pocket, they'd aim a little higher?

But if they offered £25m for Jack Stephens then it'd be impossible to turn down 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just got a Google news ping on my phone about Saints lining up a 'double swoop' from West Ham in Cornet and Ings... Not seen any recent links to Ings (aside from some posters on here mentioning it) so thought I would share

A separate article on Givemesport actually says triple swoop and includes JWP as one of the 3 but we know that's not happening with him seemingly off to Forest.

Edited by Crouchie's Lawyer

7 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

GiveMeSport claiming we wanted JWP. Presumably the change of plan on goalkeeper (Ramsdale not Nijlow, Purchase not Loan) meant there wasn't enough money for two high earners? 

34 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Steady on, hes a reserve keeper for a good team, a solid midtable quality gk, no more. Keegan was a superstar at the time.

I'd put it on a par with the Rory delap signing.

Edited by pingpong
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Are we worried Palace would try to sign Bednarek?

about as much as I am about a yoghurt in my fridge going past its' sell by date.

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Might well be. Spending a £1m in League 1 on Lambert was a pretty big statement, as was paying Fonte an absolutely  massive championship wage to get him to drop down a division and similar to retain Lallana.

I honestly don't how good Ramsdale is, but I hope he lives up to our sky high expectations.  

19 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Surely with that wedge on their pocket, they'd aim a little higher?

But if they offered £25m for Jack Stephens then it'd be impossible to turn down 😂

Interesting point. IF palace sell there too CB they may come in for one of ours. Jan the favourite but ABK not a bad alternate shout. IF that happened I reckon any bid over £15-£20m and either are gone. Less for Jan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Interesting point. IF palace sell there too CB they may come in for one of ours. Jan the favourite but ABK not a bad alternate shout. IF that happened I reckon any bid over £15-£20m and either are gone. Less for Jan.

Wolves are apparently looking for central defenders too

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

With the exception of Downes, take your pick.  Big Les didn't look that great to me against Cardiff reserves so that spot for a start. 

Chelsea would not have sanctioned his loan if he'd been any good. I thought the same as you about him at Cardiff.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Just got a Google news ping on my phone about Saints lining up a 'double swoop' from West Ham in Cornet and Ings... Not seen any recent links to Ings (aside from some posters on here mentioning it) so thought I would share

A separate article on Givemesport actually says triple swoop and includes JWP as one of the 3 but we know that's not happening with him seemingly off to Forest.

It was a triple deal earlier on The Ugly Inside so I guess with JWP going to Forest it's been downgraded to 2 🙂

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

It was a triple deal earlier on The Ugly Inside so I guess with JWP going to Forest it's been downgraded to 2 🙂

To be fair, with the seeming lack of alternative options, given a sensible package which protects us against paying him a small fortune to sit on our physio table if/when he gets crocked, I'd take Ings back as that central striker, focal point I think the team needs. I can see him thriving off the kind of through balls Fernandes and Dibling were playing against Cardiff and him and Archer would provide good competition for that role.

If we do get Cornet too, he would be a replacement for Edozie who may go out on loan and assuming he can stay injury free, would probably offer a better goal/assist contribution than Edozie too.

Ings on a free hypothetically would you be happy with that or should we be aiming higher striker wise?

I mean if Ings came in and gets the goals that keeps us up it's job done and brandy and cigars all round.... 

Just now, ally_uk said:

Ings on a free hypothetically would you be happy with that or should we be aiming higher striker wise?

I mean if Ings came in and gets the goals that keeps us up it's job done and brandy and cigars all round.... 

Ings isn’t coming though

29 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Gawd, I'm so excited about Ramsdale that I just found myself on the web store looking at replica keeper shirts!

(The price soon snapped me out of my haze...)

Good luck with that, I was in the club shop earlier getting my daughter a shirt and heard them say they had no "A" for printing. So you can have any name as long as it doesn't include an A. Maybe go with Lumley

Just now, Saint NL said:

Apparently that brings Saints spending over this window to £103m.

That's a significant outlay, can't say that SR didn't give it a good go.

Was £140m+ in their previous PL season and we went down. 😉😇

But yes, no one can say Sport Republic haven't been spending big money.

• Like 1